Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who Wants to Talk Vikings Football Marrdros Initial End of Season Team Analysis

Havent' been on in a while. Was just going to check in and see who is still here. Saw ole Nuemdog posting some tailgating pictures.

Anyway, as much as it hurts, time to move on. Overall this team is a pretty good team with loads of talent in all different stages of development. Won't take much tweaking to get us back to the place we were at last night and perhaps beyond.

QB - Probably the biggest decision is with this position. The thing is, unless we tag one of them, all 3 vets could leave if offered more than we will pay them. I'm getting the feeling the following scenarios apply:
    (Key note - Its nice to have options/scenario's. Wasn't long ago we didn't have any options at QB. Now we have multiple ways the staff could go)
    a. We will try to keep Teddy if his knee is right. I'm getting the feeling it might not be quite right now because the staff moved Sam ahead of him as soon as Sam was ready.
    Most believe that Teddy wasn't really going to be full up round until next year. Time will tell on him.
    b. We will try to keep Sam on a Mid Tier backup contract. Because of injuries most teams won't want to commit huge numbers. I think he can be a viable option if he plays behind a decent line (which we have). He did make it through 15 games last year and that was behind a pretty patched up/scabbed together line. How quickly people forget how many HARD hits he took last year.
    c. Case is gone. He is not worth the tag price to keep him and many teams have probably seen enough of him in the Dink Dunk offensive scheme to give him a pretty big (Prove It) incentive laden contract with probably half guaranteed.
    My guess, they will draft another mid rounder, try to keep one of our Vets along with Sloter and see what comes out in camp. The only thing that could change that is if the Owner says, go after a "Top Tier" free agent. This team is still a pretty good team and probably shouldn't have to sit and watch a young kid learn.
    OL - I like were this group is going/heading. Maybe a couple of undrafted Free Agents do develop.
    WR's. - Again, a good group with loads of talent.
    TE's - Not much needed here either.
    DL - I'd like to see another 1 Technique (War Pig) that can rotate with Linval. We have a glut of 3 Techniques and loads of talent at the 5 Technique. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 2nd or 3rd round pick used here.
    LBs - Mid to Low level draft pick on a developmental guy, but I like this group.
    DB's - I like this group as well. Perhaps a mid tier draft pick just in case Newman starts to get OLD.
    ST's. - Good group. Bring in some camp legs but no changes needed here.
    COACHES
    Offensive Coordinator - They are definitely going to have to find one. For everyone clamoring about the West Coast, Walsh Dink Dunk variant guys being garbage, guess what Shurm is. Besides, Zim wants to run a Walsh variant of the West Coast Offense, not the Air Coryell Stretch it Deep every pass variant. I get a strong feeling that they might promote from within....QB Coach or WR Coach.
    In the end, it was one heck of a ride this year. Going out that way is not going to sit well with the Ownership Group all the way down to yutz fans like me. I think the staff will take this year, use it as a learning experience and make it further next year than we did this year.
    In case you haven't noticed, ...............this team gets better each year under the current ownership group, GM, Scouts and Coaching Staff. As I tell everyone, we will win it next year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Nice to see you posting again Marrdro I don't see us starting over again with yet another new QB. One of the three will be our starter next year. If healthy, Bradford is the best of the bunch IMO. Also Keenum had a great year. Can't just judge him on the loss to the Eagles. Its a tough decision as to which of the three will be looking elsewhere for employment.

WWBGD

I also expect them to be making the QB decision soon. I think they know that the fan base is let down and they will want to get them back in the game with looking towards next year.

WWBGD

Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    I also expect them to be making the QB decision soon. I think they know that the fan base is let down and they will want to get them back in the game with looking towards next year.
    I imagine it will be relatively soon, but I think it also matters alot on who they get in and how long it takes for offensive coordinator.

Don't be shocked if they decide to get into the Cousins sweepstakes or kick the tires on Drew Brees. Wilf's have shown they will go with an old proven commodity and Brees could be great for WIN NOW.

My guess is Keenum is the starter next season. Bridgewater 50/50 as backup with chance to play. I would have been flipped on that except for Bridgewater getting benched the last two games.

nice thread. I'm ready to start thinking about next season

What I'd like to see happen with QB: Find any way possible to get Drew Brees. If that doesn't work, let's give Bradford another shot. Teddy would be a nice back up either way.

What I think will happen: The Vikings keep Keenum on a short term deal that is better than the franchise tag and Sloter is the back up. I don't think Teddy wants to be a back up here.

OL - Berger retires and I think a first round pick is spent on someone here but it's mostly the same

WR - Other than Floyd leaving, I see no change here unless something falls in our lap. Thielen and Diggs are obvious, Wright has proven himself a #3 even though a lot of us questioned him making the roster lol. Then there's bust Treadwell, and recent draft picks Coley and Adams to round it out.

TE - we're fine

LB - stays the same or close to it. Zimmer obviously likes Lamur

CB - I'd like to see an upgrade here but I don't know how realistic free agency is. Rhodes arleady makes a bunch of money here and Waynes is a year off from a nice contract of his own. As far as Safety, I think it stays the same. Much like I said about Jaruius Wright, we just have to appreciate that upgrading from Sendejo isn't easy.

DL - The questions marks here are about the depth. Tom Johnson and Stephen are free agents. I would think Jaleel Johnson moves to starter. Is Robison retiring? Hopefully not.

ST's - I guess if you can upgrade from Forbath you do, but he's mostly fine. No TD's for Sherels this year but he's a very solid punt returner still. Hopefully better kick returning shakes out from within.

Offensive Coodinator - I hear P.A. keep talking about Kevin Stefanski deserving the job. I have no strong opinion on that but I'm thinking he knows something.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

6. I hope they can develop Sloter. Kids got good size and a great arm. If he learns to read NFL defenses he has the gun to get her done ......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWvQBYF8FwE

Nice to see you posting again Marrdro I don't see us starting over again with yet another new QB. One of the three will be our starter next year. If healthy, Bradford is the best of the bunch IMO. Also Keenum had a great year. Can't just judge him on the loss to the Eagles. Its a tough decision as to which of the three will be looking elsewhere for employment.
    I think Case is gone. No way we tag him for one year. Cost way to much.

I'm almost convinced they will keep Teddy (if healthy and he doens't get to high on the Free Agent market) and try to keep Sam as a backup/potential starter if the price is right.

I do like the idea of seeing Sloter in camp. See what the cat has.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I don't think they will until after the name an OC. The QB needs to fit the scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    I imagine it will be relatively soon, but I think it also matters alot on who they get in and how long it takes for offensive coordinator.

Don't be shocked if they decide to get into the Cousins sweepstakes or kick the tires on Drew Brees. Wilf's have shown they will go with an old proven commodity and Brees could be great for WIN NOW.

My guess is Keenum is the starter next season. Bridgewater 50/50 as backup with chance to play. I would have been flipped on that except for Bridgewater getting benched the last two games.
    I thought of Brees and Cousins. See to much of Cousins down here in the 757 to really consider him to hard.

Again, he might be a fit if the right OC is brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tad7 View Post
    snip.....

What I'd like to see happen with QB: Find any way possible to get Drew Brees.

What I think will happen: The Vikings keep Keenum on a short term deal that is better than the franchise tag and Sloter is the back up. I don't think Teddy wants to be a back up here.

CB - I'd like to see an upgrade here but I don't know how realistic free agency is. Rhodes arleady makes a bunch of money here and Waynes is a year off from a nice contract of his own.

Offensive Coodinator - I hear P.A. keep talking about Kevin Stefanski deserving the job. I have no strong opinion on that but I'm thinking he knows something.
    I looked hard at our QB coach and our WR coach as possible candidates. WR coach didn't run a "Deep Passing" attack during his collegiate tenure. That kindof fits what Zim wants but I think if we do draw from withing I think Stef is the guy.

I just think alot of teams are going to raise the price on Case. I'd rather pay big money for someone like Brees, who by the way I don't think will go anyplace unless their HC is fired.

I'm not sure we are in extremis when it comes to CB. Anyone taken a look at Horace Richardson? That cat was a stud after he kept his knees healthy and is cut in the mold that Zim likes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast