Thread: London game

London game

The good news is, it's against the Browns. The bad news is, it is in London.

I hate games played in London. The travel time, the distraction of playing in a foreign country that has no football team except of course the soccer teams which is really the national sport there. Playing over there is just about money and marketing for the NFL. Maybe we should take a knee to protest that.

WWBGD

Yeah, the London thing makes no sense. NFL Europe died so that should tell us something.
    Football at 9am just doesn't seem right. I bet the players hate it worse than Thursday games.
    "A good football coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback- but not necessarily in that order."- Bud Grant

Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    The good news is, it's against the Browns.
    Iv'e heard that one before

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Yeah, the London thing makes no sense. NFL Europe died so that should tell us something.
    Football at 9am just doesn't seem right. I bet the players hate it worse than Thursday games.
    It might not make sense but it makes a hell of a lot of cents, with 4 near enough sell outs at 80k stadiums, and that's the most important thing as far as the NFL is concerned. NFL Europe died because most fans were clued up enough to know they were watching an inferior product compared to the NFL. Having said that it was always well supported in Germany and fans there really should have had an international game by now as reward. I do think most players could do without the hassle, though most won't say it on the record.

To be honest I don't really agree with the concept of playing regular season games out of the US, especially if a London franchise is the end goal. Looking at this year's games, the secondary market has dramatically fallen away. In years gone by these tickets always sold at a premium, this year they aren't even going for face value. Whether this means saturation point has been reached with 4 games or the match ups aren't good enough to satisfy interest is debatable, next year should give us more clues either way.

Dispite my misgivings I was at Wembley when the Vikes beat the Steelers and I'll be at Twickenham tomorrow when hopefully (trap game) they can do likewise against the Browns!

I noticed that they are playing at Twickenham, a smaller stadium than Wembley, this time around. Maybe an indication of slacking interest?

WWBGD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    I noticed that they are playing at Twickenham, a smaller stadium than Wembley, this time around. Maybe an indication of slacking interest?
    2 games were at Wembley the other 2 are at Twickenham. I think it's because the soccer club Tottenham Hotspur are using Wembley this year while their stadium (White Hart Lane) is redeveloped. Incidentally the new stadium is being built with the NFL in mind with larger locker rooms and a sliding AstroTurf pitch which will go over the natural grass. International games and possibly a franchise will be there when it's ready.