Thread: taking a knee

taking a knee

I wish they would just play football and keep their social activism off the field. I don't mind football players expressing their opinions about things but during the national anthem is not the time or place. I also do not think people should get fired for it. That was over the top. Does everything have to be politics and race?

WWBGD

Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    I wish they would just play football and keep their social activism off the field. I don't mind football players expressing their opinions about things but during the national anthem is not the time or place. I also do not think people should get fired for it. That was over the top. Does everything have to be politics and race?
    I guess I disagree. Tweeting about it? Talking about it at events with fans? Talking even in the locker room? That doesn't get covered and does not make a statement that is seen, which is what a movement needs.

You can say whatever you want about Kaepernick and his motives, etc., but doing this way was THE WAY to get the message out. It has spread and it has people of all colors, socio-economic status, political affiliation, etc., talking about an issue that has more or less been simmering for years.

I stand for the anthem. Always will, but I am white, in fairly good shape financially, grew up in a very stable household and never once had opportunities taken away from me for my gender or race (may have been unfairly judged for it before, but didn't cost me opportunities).

And since I am on a bit of a soap box to the three people reading on this site ...

One of my better friends since moving to the nation's capital grew up poor as shit in Washington, D.C. He is black. He is as good a person as I have ever known. He truly makes me feel like a completely awful person because I have given someone the finger before.

He had plenty of friends lost to the system and lost to the actual world, including his younger brother when they were just 16 and 14. My buddy worked his ass off. He has NEVER touched a gun, never touched drugs and has never even had a drink. He went to a very good school, could have gone to Ivy League if he wanted to leave home. He made it. He did it the right way. BUT, he knows how easily it could have went wrong.

He can tell you, in detail, the seven different times in his life he has had a gun pointed at him by a law enforcement officer. He can tell you the two times he was arrested for crimes he didn't do because he fit a description (never charged). He can tell you very vividly how his 8-year-old-daughter was treated at a private school where she was one of only three minorities in a class of 30. Even in D.C., which is super melting pot central.

If he doesn't want to stand for the flag, if he thinks it represenst the hypocrisy of claiming freedom for everyone while only supporting freedom for the ones likes him that make it out on the lucky side, I am not going to tell him to stand up.

I agree with what coach Tomlin of the Steelers said.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin

"The big thing is that we remain united. These teams, man, this game of football is a unique one. We're all blessed to be part of it, man. We all get tolerances because of people that are different, because of our association with ball. I think anybody that's involved with ball has a high level of tolerance, has a high level of understanding. We feel bad (for those) who aren't involved in football. Who don't have the opportunity to have a brother that is very different next to him that he can rely on to gain understanding."
    "We will not be divided by this. We got a group of men in there who come from different social-economic, backgrounds, races, creeds, ethnicities and religions and so forth. That's football. That's a lot of team sports. But because of our position, we get drug into the bull----, to be quite honest with you. And so some have opinions, some don't. We wanted to protect those that don't, we wanted to protect those that do. We came here for a football game today, and that was our intentions"

WWBGD

Thank you Art Rooney

To Steelers Nation:
    I want to reach out to you, the members of Steelers Nation, based on what I believe is a misperception about our players' intentions in not taking the field for the national anthem in Chicago. The intentions of Steelers players were to stay out of the business of making political statement by not taking the field. Unfortunately, that was interpreted as a boycott of the anthem -- which was never our players' intention.
    Our players come from many different backgrounds and are united by what it means to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are active in their communities and participate regularly in events designated to give back to those communities. And they appreciate the support they get from Steelers fans around the country and here at home.
    I also know that our players have tremendous respect for the members of our military services, including their teammate Alejandro Villanueva. There was never any desire on the part of our players to show disrespect for our service members.
    Yesterday, I received an email from a Steelers fan who said tell the players to just play football. That is exactly what they wanted to do. They wanted their sole focus to be on playing the game, while also coming together as a unified team.
    The main thing we can do is learn from this and strive to come together remaining unified as a football team. I believe we are capable of accomplishing this with the support of our fans.
    Steelers Nation is made up of the best fans in the National Football League. We appreciate your continued support for our players, coaches and staff.
    Sincerely,
    Art Rooney II

WWBGD

There are a lot of the players that spend their Tuesday off visiting kids in hospitals, food drives, fund raising for schools, etc the whole league does a month of breast cancer awareness, service pride month.....so I'd have to say its already going on with the social commentary out there, just because something serious that is going on may not be in my wheelhouse or be totally in my comfort zone I can see it and respect their peaceful statement; they could be standing and giving the black power salute like in the 68 Olympics.
    Many players take a knee at the end of the game as well to pray on the field, not really something I'm into but these guys are out there in a violent collision sport that can cripple guys for their life going forward, I think I can give them their peaceful moment.

What Midge said. I simply cannot, and will not, tell another man how to protest what he sees as an injustice to him and his people. Ain't no playbook for peaceful protest, and to get to the establishment, you have to rattle the cage. To me, the flag represents an essential freedom in this country- the right to protest peacefully. Police brutality against blacks has been going on forever and nothing has ever been done about it. However, now I believe the point has been made and we need to move on to constructive solutions to the problem.
    "A good football coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback- but not necessarily in that order."- Bud Grant

I thought this was a Sam Bradford thread at first.
    I'm bloviating douchebag and Ricky is a great GM