Zim/Spielman's vision

Hi guys, it's that time of the year again where I come here to insist that THIS is the year we go all the way! Optimism is the only way to go pre-training camp, when anything is possible.

What I wanted to put out there for discussion is what Zim and Spiel are planning with the OL players they signed. It seems to me that Zim has never liked the deep threat passing game, and prefers a slow, ball control running game coupled with short to medium passes to keep the chains moving.

As such, the 2 tackles we sign fit very well in his plan-they might have film on missing a key block in a pass play, but they have GREAT film on run blocking. Back that up with signing Murray and drafting Cook, and you have the makings of a ball control offense that leans a little lighter on a great defense.

Since the Seahawks, Ravens and Buccaneers all used this same blue print to win super bowls, is hard for me not to think we have an outstanding chance to surprise people, and a decent chance to go a lot farther than anyone gives us credit for.

This idea came to me watching press conferences where Zim lamented our inability to run the ball game after game. It was almost as if he were saying, "Give my defense a rest and we'll win this thing." I think we are now going to find out if that can once again work, even against all the long ball "exciting" teams such as the Giants, Steelers and Falcons.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Do I think we WILL win the Super Bowl. No.

Do I think we have a puncher's chance? Absolutely. And I will take that.

Do I think our defense may move into elite territory this year? Yep, and if it does, watch out.

I've got no deep concerns about the defense- I think they will be competitive. IF.....Cook, Murray, and McKinnon can run the ball effectively, the OL steps up to average, the receiver corps improves, Bradford continues to improve in the system, and the special teams don't screw us up (question mark at punter and kicker).....then we can compete for the division, maybe more. But that's a lot of "ifs".
    "A good football coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback- but not necessarily in that order."- Bud Grant

Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    I've got no deep concerns about the defense- I think they will be competitive. IF.....Cook, Murray, and McKinnon can run the ball effectively, the OL steps up to average, the receiver corps improves, Bradford continues to improve in the system, and the special teams don't screw us up (question mark at punter and kicker).....then we can compete for the division, maybe more. But that's a lot of "ifs".
    The thing is... everyone in our division has those or other "ifs" to contend with. For someone, those "ifs" will turn into "whens".

I guess I had the need to write this because far too often we are written off because we didn't get the "best" pass blockers available, we didn't sign the "best" receivers available, and we won't be able to keep up with the vaunted offenses in our conference.

But if Zimmer was truly happy with our team sans the running (see also ball control), and he felt that if we could have kept the defense off the field for longer periods of time we would have won a LOT more... all of these signings not only make sense, bu they make a very good team dominant.

Since the NFL Network really doesn't care about teams not names Giants, Cowboys, Steelers or Seahawks, very little time is spent on our division, much less the Vikings. We are expected to win a few, and disappear when the great teams go to the playoffs. It makes me very irritated...

Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I guess I had the need to write this because far too often we are written off because we didn't get the "best" pass blockers available, we didn't sign the "best" receivers available, and we won't be able to keep up with the vaunted offenses in our conference.

But if Zimmer was truly happy with our team sans the running (see also ball control), and he felt that if we could have kept the defense off the field for longer periods of time we would have won a LOT more... all of these signings not only make sense, bu they make a very good team dominant.

Since the NFL Network really doesn't care about teams not names Giants, Cowboys, Steelers or Seahawks, very little time is spent on our division, much less the Vikings. We are expected to win a few, and disappear when the great teams go to the playoffs. It makes me very irritated...
    C'mon now ... are you seriously coing to act like they don't cover the Packers? Patriots? They were all over the 49ers when they were great.

The media covers what the public WANTS. The public doesn't want the Vikings, Browns and Bills ... because ... well ... who wants zero Super Bowls.

I have actually seen us picked as a dark horse division champ candidate and most say it would take very little for us to find our way back to the playoffs. Don't play the underdog card too hard here.

That said ... I think we are quite possibly a little under the radar because everyone does love them some Packers.

Yeah as what if it helps to be under the radar. Only to surprise people in the end?!
    Ready for Christmas!

As long as the Packers have Rodgers they will be competitive for the division. He is their key. The Vikings must field a defense to neutralize him as much as possible and an offense that can score more than 20 points a game. Then we can begin kicking on that door.
    "A good football coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback- but not necessarily in that order."- Bud Grant

Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    C'mon now ... are you seriously coing to act like they don't cover the Packers? Patriots? They were all over the 49ers when they were great.

The media covers what the public WANTS. The public doesn't want the Vikings, Browns and Bills ... because ... well ... who wants zero Super Bowls.

I have actually seen us picked as a dark horse division champ candidate and most say it would take very little for us to find our way back to the playoffs. Don't play the underdog card too hard here.

That said ... I think we are quite possibly a little under the radar because everyone does love them some Packers.
    For this to be true, the NFL fans that watch the NFL Network want to see OBJ highlights all day every day... and if he blows a kiss to an adoring fan, we need to know about that too.

That network can't decide whether it is covering football as a sport or as a reality show... and the Giants are their stars. Try watching "Total Access" for a week, and you will see what I mean-there is a feature on the Giants every DAY. The Patriots don't get that attention, nor the Packers.

And I don't care if I'm not being fair. I am a fan of the Vikings, and I think our star players got shafted in the "top 100 players" because their "moments" were overlooked so that we could watch such riveting things as OBJ proposing to a kicking net. Over. And over. And over.

Anyway... what was I talking about again...?

Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    As long as the Packers have Rodgers they will be competitive for the division. He is their key. The Vikings must field a defense to neutralize him as much as possible and an offense that can score more than 20 points a game. Then we can begin kicking on that door.
    I agree... and our offense NOT going 3 and out would help that happen as well. My true point was THAT is the goal of Zimmer/Spielman... they don't care how many 50 yard strikes Bradford has; they care about how long Rodgers is on the field.