Floyd signs with Vikings

Source: WR Michael Floyd to sign 1-year deal with Vikings

Wide receiver Michael Floyd is signing a one-year deal with the Minnesota Vikings, a league source confirmed to ESPN's Ben Goessling.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...nesota-vikings

Seems like a done deal. I think he is a decent pickup, particularly if it seems that Treadwell cannot make the next step.

The Floyd signing is good on many levels... 1) he's a capable WR, a 1st Round Draft Pick, #13, for a reason, 2) there is no money guaranteed to him, 3) competition at WR is a great thing, 4) he's a veteran, with measured success...he's made mistakes off the field, has under delivered on the field compared to his ability, so, maybe there is something, IF he wants it...IF, 5) "coming home" will have an impact.

There is no doubt in my mind that Floyd is a very capable WR. There are many "if's" involved here. IF he is inspired by competition and is motivated by the work ethic of Thielen and Diggs... IF Zimmer can deliver the "tough love" that apparently Arians was not able to successfully use to unleash the ability. IF Cris Carter is right, this is a good move for the Vikes and Floyd (CC is all over the place, but, I think his comments re: Floyd are spot on).

Here's what he had to say in the Pioneer Press...
    "Vikings hall of fame wide receiver Cris Carter said he spoke with Floyd after he signed. Carter, who had substance abuse problems before starring for the Vikings from 1990-2001, said he is willing to help Floyd with his recovery.

“The state of Minnesota has been at the forefront of recovery,’’ Carter said. “It was for me, and Michael has embraced that he’s got a problem. He’s sought to get help and Minneapolis is a great place.

“Me being a former Viking that struggled with things, the team really helped me. Being a fan of Michael Floyd, I’m pulling for him. I’ll try to help him with anything that I can in his assimilation back into being a very good football player.’’

Carter lauded the move by the Vikings to pick up the 6-foot-3, 220-pound Floyd. They lost receivers Cordarrelle Patterson and Charles Johnson in free agency, but still have talented young players Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen. They also have Laquon Treadwell, who caught just one pass as a rookie in 2016 after being a first-round pick.

“It’s a great opportunity for (Floyd),’’ Carter said. “(The Vikings) always have been looking for that big receiver, prototype receiver. For the last 10 years or so, they’ve been looking for that big guy.’’

The link to the full article...http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/10...-with-vikings/

We shall see, I don't have purple shaded glasses on this signing, I just have hopes that a young man with immense physical ability is able to realize his potential.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

3. He (Floyd) is also a St. Paul native????

I think this is a good signing. It will make Treadwell step up, he knows he has to make the cut.

Floyd
    Diggs
    Theilen
    Treadwell

Wright, Fruechte and the rest of the Rookies.

12 Adams, Rodney WR 6-1 189 22 0 South Florida
    81 Böhringer, Moritz WR 6-4 225 23 0 Germany
    13 Coley, Stacy WR 6-1 195 23 0 Miami (Fla.)
    14 Diggs, Stefon WR 6-0 191 23 2 Maryland
    18 Floyd, Michael WR 6-2 220 27 6 Notre Dame
    15 Fruechte, Isaac WR 6-3 210 26 2 Minnesota
    16 Jones, Cayleb WR 6-2 209 24 0 Arizona
    87 Mathews, Mitch WR 6-6 215 26 0 Brigham Young
    83 Shelton, R.J. WR 5-11 205 23 0 Michigan State
    19 Thielen, Adam WR 6-2 200 26 3 Minnesota State
    11 Treadwell, Laquon WR 6-2 215 21 0 Ole Miss
    17 Wright, Jarius WR 5-10 191 27 5 Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    He (Floyd) is also a St. Paul native????

I think this is a good signing. It will make Treadwell step up, he knows he has to make the cut.

Floyd
    Diggs
    Theilen
    Treadwell

Wright, Fruechte and the rest of the Rookies.

12 Adams, Rodney WR 6-1 189 22 0 South Florida
    81 Böhringer, Moritz WR 6-4 225 23 0 Germany
    13 Coley, Stacy WR 6-1 195 23 0 Miami (Fla.)
    14 Diggs, Stefon WR 6-0 191 23 2 Maryland
    18 Floyd, Michael WR 6-2 220 27 6 Notre Dame
    15 Fruechte, Isaac WR 6-3 210 26 2 Minnesota
    16 Jones, Cayleb WR 6-2 209 24 0 Arizona
    87 Mathews, Mitch WR 6-6 215 26 0 Brigham Young
    83 Shelton, R.J. WR 5-11 205 23 0 Michigan State
    19 Thielen, Adam WR 6-2 200 26 3 Minnesota State
    11 Treadwell, Laquon WR 6-2 215 21 0 Ole Miss
    17 Wright, Jarius WR 5-10 191 27 5 Arkansas
    I could see them keeping six, but Treadwell and Wright definitely make the cut with Diggs, Theilen and Floyd. I could see Wright being left out if they go six and TWO rookies impress, but seems unlikely.

Gonna be fun to watch play out regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    I could see them keeping six, but Treadwell and Wright definitely make the cut with Diggs, Theilen and Floyd. I could see Wright being left out if they go six and TWO rookies impress, but seems unlikely.

Gonna be fun to watch play out regardless.
    i have a feeling Wright is on the bubble.. mainly bc of his contract. he got hardly any playing time last year and they reportedly were trying to trade him last year. Unless he is going to return punts or kicks, I don't see how he makes the roster. They only way i see this happening is if Treadwell doesn't step up... Otherwise i think he may be gone.

I agree.. I think it will be fun to watch

The signing was a good move for all involved.

I hope Michael Floyd has a monster season.

Floyd suspended the first 4 games of the season.

WWBGD

Yeah, he won't be contributing a damn thing those four games. Plus it will set him back as far as getting comfortable in the offense. Might be it for him.
    "A good football coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback- but not necessarily in that order."- Bud Grant