Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2017 Draft Thoughts

Folks, here is an article by Ben Goessling, ESPN Staff Writer, regarding the volatility of most Teams' Draft choices moving on. It's kind of a sobering, fact based, article, which illustrates that the Draft is an inexact science.

Goessling makes the point quickly, it's worth the read IMO. http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-v...t-drafted-them

I'm sure some will point to how incompetent Spielman is...some criticism is certainly valid. But, as Goessling points out, Spielman is not alone. Not taking sides, defending, nor getting defensive...just found it to be interesting.

SKOL Vikings!

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Can't wait to see who the team drafts!
    Ready for Christmas!

Just for fun...hypothetical situation:
    Texans are on the clock at #25. They call up the Vikings and offer the pick for Bradford. Is there anybody that could be on the board that would get you to take the trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    Texans are on the clock at #25. They call up the Vikings and offer the pick for Bradford. Is there anybody that could be on the board that would get you to take the trade?
    For Bridgewater ... sure ... for Bradford ... probably not. Unless we are throwing in the towel on this season already.

Bradford is our Franchise guy IMO.

WWBGD

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    It's a legitimate question in scenario planning... so, if the Vikes get a call, and an offer for Bradford, I can't see trading Sam, our only healthy (fingers crossed) competent QB going into the Season for #25 pick. Now, if the pot is sweetened beyond that one pick...depending on Teddy's health, I might be tempted. But, #25 for Sam...no thanks.

Brings up an interesting dialogue...which, is kinda hard for us, not in the know re: Teddy's health, to discuss. From what I know, he has zero chance of seeing the field this year, and is debatable for next year.

Yeah Teddy's health is the big wild card here. I hadn't heard that the outlook was that grim...hope you're wrong. Regardless of opinions of who is better, I think if he can get healthy, it'll be his team. I swear I see hearts fluttering around Zimmer's head when he talks about Teddy. The fifth year option decision is coming up soon.

I guess this is just my way of finding excitement in the draft without a first rounder. To answer my own question, if McCaffrey was there (looking more and more like he won't be), and if they somehow had confidence that Teddy would be good to go around mid-season, I'd do it. I'm not a fan of drafting RB early but the guy is so versatile and I think he would help the offense a ton.

I don't think Bridgewater could beat out Bradford for the QB job even healthy. A knee that is taking as long to heal as his will never be 100%. The only thing that Bridgewater was better at than Bradford was scrambling. Who know if that will ever be the case again.

WWBGD

That's kinda how I see it too RK, that's why I wouldn't trade him. With that said, it won't be surprised if one of the 3rd or 4th Round picks is used on QB.

I can definitely understand the reasoning about Bradford. I was more curious if there was any player in the draft whose availability would make any of you pause. Not sure if anyone still thinks the Bradford trade was a mistake (I don't) but I think it would be an interesting question for those folks, if we were given the opportunity to recoup a lot of that draft capital given up to get him. Although I suspect the answer for many would be "It's a mistake if Sam's not in purple in 2018." Which I also understand.

Anyhow, back to the draft, I saw this mock in a fan post on Daily Norseman, and although I don't know a lot about these players, I love the trade down and how the positions were addressed. I don't especially feel like we should draft a QB but if a guy like Chad Kelly is available in round 6, what the hell. And although I hadn't thought a lot about the need for linebacker before, it makes a lot of sense to get a good cover guy since we were absolutely shredded by tight ends last year.

TRADE!
    2 (16) to The Kansas City Chiefs for 2 (27), 3 (40)

2 (27) DION DAWKINS G/T, Temple (Athletic enough to play Tackle but will dominate at Guard with pulling)
    3 (15) MARCUS "The Thief" WILLIAMS S, Utah (Ballhawking Safety causes a ton of turnovers)
    3 (22) NAZAIR JONES DT, North Carolina (Run stuffing 3 technique DT at 6'5 with long arms to bat down passes)
    3 (40) WAYNE GALLMAN RB, Clemson (Tough one cut runner who can do it all-catch/block/run)
    4 (13) DEDE WESTBROOK WR, Oklahoma (Could be the next Desean Jackson. Speed/KR/Deep ball)
    4 (21) JONNU SMITH TE, Florida International (Seam buster with reliable hands)
    5 (16) ELIJAH LEE OLB, Kansas State (Good Cover LB with speed and height 6'3. WILL LB)
    6 (15) CHAD KELLY QB, Ole Miss (He fell due to off field concerns. Has a rocket arm and bloodlines)
    7 (14) DJ JONES DT, Ole Miss (Nose Tackle. Can backup Linval Joseph)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast