Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunday's game

Just a bad day all around.

Take the lump and move on. We will be fine.

2. Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Just a bad day all around.

Take the lump and move on. We will be fine.
    Most of the time I would agree...but, I am very concerned about the OLine, VERY. Vikes will not be fine unless we find a way to keep Bradford (said the same thing about Teddy last year...) upright.

All of us knew Schwartz would throw bring the heat, it was obvious. The fact that NOBODY COULD FRICKIN BLOCK ANYONE was not considered. Not only did the OLine whiff, so did Asiata and Hillman...this is a fact and a trend that will not work going forward.

I watched Zimmer's post game presser...needless to say, he will hold the shitty performers accountable. If Sirles, Clemmings, Long, Asiata, Hillman, etc., have the capacity to improve, they better do it fast. If they don't, we be in trouble.

And, I don't subscribe to this concern as being an overreaction...if you do, please, convince me otherwise.

Skol Vikings!

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Most of the time I would agree...but, I am very concerned about the OLine, VERY. Vikes will not be fine unless we find a way to keep Bradford (said the same thing about Teddy last year...) upright.

All of us knew Schwartz would throw bring the heat, it was obvious. The fact that NOBODY COULD FRICKIN BLOCK ANYONE was not considered. Not only did the OLine whiff, so did Asiata and Hillman...this is a fact and a trend that will not work going forward.

I watched Zimmer's post game presser...needless to say, he will hold the shitty performers accountable. If Sirles, Clemmings, Long, Asiata, Hillman, etc., have the capacity to improve, they better do it fast. If they don't, we be in trouble.

And, I don't subscribe to this concern as being an overreaction...if you do, please, convince me otherwise.

Skol Vikings!
    Agree.

Bradford won't make it to the playoffs at this rate. We couldn't make ONE yd in TWO tries near the goal line.
    No push from the front 5.
    Ugh
    Hard to scheme around poor blocking. Get ready for a lot of check down passes.
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em

I knew our lousy OL play would eventually bite us in the backside and it did Sunday. A dismal performance by that unit. Bad OL play has a domino effect that cripples the entire team. Can't run so you look at third and long all day. Defense can pressure QB. No offensive production puts pressure of the defense and they're on the field too much. The QB presses because he's getting the crap kicked out of him. He misses passes he usually completes and turns it over. Special teams gives up a TD which makes it all worse. The only good thing to come out of that game was the defense gave up only 14 points. If the OL woes aren't fixed the wheels are gonna come off at some point. It's only one game but unfortunately it exposed a huge Achilles heel for the Vikings. Plus, evidently we still struggle outside on grass away from home against quality opponents.
    "A good football coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback- but not necessarily in that order."- Bud Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Suick View Post
    Agree.

Bradford won't make it to the playoffs at this rate. We couldn't make ONE yd in TWO tries near the goal line.
    Ugh
    Bradford will not only miss the playoffs, he won't make it through the f#@*ing season!
    "A good football coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback- but not necessarily in that order."- Bud Grant

6. Quote Originally Posted by Suick View Post
    Agree.

Ugh
    yep, agreed.

I actually think our WRs, Rudy, Asiata and McKinnon are well suited for the the shorter, quicker routes. Diggs, Thielen, and Wright all possess great quickness, Patterson has obviously improved and CAN be a factor.

I have not lost hope by any stretch, but, as Aikman pointed out several times during the broadcast yesterday, Bradford just doesn't have enough time for play action/push the ball downfield as a staple. It may well be the exception, but, not the rule. The Turners and Shurmur need to better figure out how to exploit the blitz...because it will be coming the rest of the year. http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-v...them-on-sunday

Reason for optimism, the Defense surrendered 14 points...and only one touchdown.

Skol Vikings!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    yep, agreed.

I actually think our WRs, Rudy, Asiata and McKinnon are well suited for the the shorter, quicker routes. Diggs, Thielen, and Wright all possess great quickness, Patterson has obviously improved and CAN be a factor.

I have not lost hope by any stretch, but, as Aikman pointed out several times during the broadcast yesterday, Bradford just doesn't have enough time for play action/push the ball downfield as a staple. It may well be the exception, but, not the rule. The Turners and Shurmur need to better figure out how to exploit the blitz...because it will be coming the rest of the year. http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-v...them-on-sunday

Reason for optimism, the Defense surrendered 14 points...and only one touchdown.

Skol Vikings!
    I have said all along, this defense may be Ravens, Bucs, Broncos type. It IS good enough to win us a Super Bowl.

Yesterday was ONE game. ONE road game against a good opponent. We were obviously not prepapred (which is something very odd for us).

The sky is not falling, yet. We have three very winnable games coming up and if we get through them at 2-1 and are sitting at 7-2 we will have full control of the NFC North and a likely playoff bye.

The offenisve line woes obviously need addressed. Asiata was a mess yesterday, which is odd for him, he is normally a suitable blocker, so that should be better going forward.

It is a loss. A tough one. One that exploited some weaknesses. But teams have days like this. The Pats have one against the Dolphins/Jets/Bills every single year. I have faith in this staff to learn from it and adjust.

Agree. One game and one loss over a long season. But I think we all agree that the OL needs to get it's act together. Zimmer realizes that as well.

Blog Entries
    I think one thing that maybe should be considered is that the Vikings had a lot of positive momentum going into their bye week. In their last game before the bye week, the Vikings blew out Houston. The Vikings have a lot of young players that perhaps felt overconfident going into the Eagles game yesterday. Once the turnovers started, the Vikings lost their points scored off turnovers advantage. The Vikings lost by 11 points, despite FOUR turnovers! If they score 2 TD's, or 1 TD and 2 FG's off those turnovers, they win a close game.

Connor Barwin and Brandon Graham are excellent DE's. I think even Kalil and Smith would have had trouble blocking them. I have heard some fans calling for the Vikings to trade with Cleveland for Joe Thomas. Even if Thomas were on our team, I'm not sure he could have handled either one of Barwin or Graham.

If Clemmings and the other OT (Long, Sirles, etc.) cannot handle fast-rushing DE's like Barwin and Graham, could we put a TE next to the struggling OT to help with the blocking? Also, why were the passes so short in the fourth quarter? Couldn't Bradford try more passes downfield? Patterson and Diggs seemed to catch a couple of intermediate-length passes.

I have faith in the coaching staff to right the ship sufficiently so that the Vikings play better at Chicago on Halloween night. Let's start another win streak. SKOL VIKINGS!

10. Also, don't underestimate the familiarity the Eagles defenders, AND DC Jim Schwartz had. As I posted before the game, the Eagles were gonna bring the heat. If I knew it, rest assured our accomplished Coaching Staff knew it. The OLine (the Tackles mostly) was awful, but, Asiata and Hillman missed blocks too...Zim pointed it out in his Presser.

Schwartz and the Eagles knew Bradford's tendencies, Vikes Coaches knew they would bring it...in the end, our Team did not execute protection. Defense played great, Wentz did nothing, Special Teams, our differentiator in most games, also failed.

Zim will get this Team back on track and winning 2 out of 3 phases. His candor calling out everything isn't "coachspeak" - he's sincere, not staged. For those of you who have played competitive sports, you know.

Further, saying..."we were soft," is a MASSIVE challenge.

Jay Cutler better strap everything tightly...he gonna feel some heat.

Skol Vikings!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast