Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Draft

1. Can Moritz learn his craft and make an impact is the big question?

I like his size and speed also.

2. Talk about size, the TE that was taken after Moritz is 6'4" and 264 lbs

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tad7 View Post
    I think this pick was the way to go at the time but am also not too thrilled.

He has trouble getting off of bump coverage and legitimately looks slow. It's cool he's capable of getting 50/50 balls, that part is exactly what Teddy needs, but it's like everything is going to be a 50/50 ball with him since he'll get no separation.
    He'll gain separation in the NFL like Dez, Gronk, and many of the great ones, by pushing off. He's very good at it, and it's rarely called.

4. I dont care how he does. I just will get all his trading cards now lol

5. Talking about size, the last 4 players were all listed at 6'4" We got a safety that is 6'4"

1. Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi; WR 6'2" 221 Mississippi
    2. Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson; CB 5'10" 190 Clemson
    4. Willie Beavers, OL, Western Michigan; OT 6'4" 324 Western Michigan
    5. Kentrell Brothers, LB, Missouri; OLB 6'0" 245 Missouri
    6. Moritz Boehringer, WR, Germany; WR 6'4" 227
    6. David Morgan, TE, Texas-San Antonio; TE 6'4" 262 Texas-San Antonio
    7. Stephen Weatherly, DE, Vanderbilt; OLB 6'4" 267 Vanderbilt
    7. Jayron Kearse, S, Clemson S 6'4" 216 Clemson

6. Morgan was impressive at the combine, bench pressing 225 pounds 29 times, the most by any tight end this year. He also had a vertical jump of 30 inches, a broad jump of 9 feet, 7 inches and was clocked at 6.93 seconds in the 3-cone drill.

Morgan ran the 40-yard dash in 5.02 seconds, the 20-yard shuttle in 4.19 seconds and the 60-yard shuttle in 11.60 seconds.

Moments after becoming the sixth player drafted by the Vikings in 2016, Morgan said he was appreciative of the chance to play professional football.

“It’s crazy to really have this opportunity in front of me,” Morgan said. “I’ve put in a lot of time and have been underrated my whole life.”
    Got this from official website....
    Last edited by snowinapril; 04-30-2016 at 07:17 PM.

7. 2016 NFL Draft Grades: Full Day 3 Report Card
    By Mike Tanier , NFL National Lead Writer Apr 30, 2016

This writeup, re: the Vikes Round 5 Pick, Kentrell Brothers, may be my favorite writeup ever...the compare contrast to off/on field is hilarious and effective to me.

160. Minnesota Vikings: Kentrell Brothers, Outside Linebacker, Missouri. Brothers is an odd-looking athlete. He’s a little wobblier than your average non-lineman. He runs with a slightly odd gait, like he is wearing corduroy pants. These may not be scientific scouting observations, but Brothers just doesn’t look and move like the other top linebacker prospects.

Then the ball is snapped. Brothers zooms all over the field. He’s faster than would seem possible for a guy with choppy strides and can be sudden when making a quick move to disengage or elude a blocker. Brothers’ instincts are top notch and he pursues well, reacting quickly and taking smart angles. He’s great on screens because he reads both the play and the blocking and can make the first blocker miss. Despite short arms, Brothers has blocked three career kicks. He’s that kind of ballplayer.

The closest comparison I could think of to Brothers was Levon Kirkland, who didn’t look like a superhero in a T-shirt but became an outstanding playmaker for the Steelers in the late 1990s and early 2000s. He's a great pick in this spot. Grade: A

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    Can Moritz learn his craft and make an impact is the big question?

I like his size and speed also.
    Spielman said Mobo demonstrated "off the charts intelligence" during the interview and testing at the Vikings' Top-30 function, for whatever that's worth. In any case, can't be a bad sign that he first picked up a football less than 4 years ago and produced a 2015 highlight reel like the one we saw yesterday.

Dude is incredibly reminiscent of a raw Herman Moore ... same size and speed (in fact Mobo is about 10 lbs bigger), same vertical and broad jumps, similar hands ... if Mobo can learn to run routes, he could be an extremely effective NFL receiver.

And I'm guessing he might just bump CP off the roster by winning the job for return duties...

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    Talking about size, the last 4 players were all listed at 6'4" We got a safety that is 6'4"
    Yeah, those last 4 picks are intriguing ... I really liked this draft:

1. Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi; WR 6'2" 221 Mississippi
    MY GRADE - A.
    Position of need, and IMO, the best WR prospect of this class.

2. Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson; CB 5'10" 190 Clemson
    MY GRADE - B+.
    Vikings have been snakebitten by injury and depth issues at this position over the last couple years, and this pick addresses that need, along with providing a nickel option if he develops in camp. Size an issue, and Whitehair was still available at this pick, but its hard to argue with cocky CBs who are sticky in man coverage and have great instincts ... Antoine Winfield anyone?

3. TRADE OUT OF 3rd ROUND for 3 Miami picks - 6th round this year, 3rd and 4th rounders next year.
    MY GRADE - A.
    Spielman has accumulated 6 picks in the first 3 rounds next year, which will be a major roster overhaul year with many free agents.

4. Willie Beavers, OL, Western Michigan; OT 6'4" 324 Western Michigan
    MY GRADE - A.
    Position of need, and has all the tools to be an NFL starter anywhere on the OLine ... versatile, great feet, athletic, great length ... just needs to build some upper body strength.

5. Kentrell Brothers, LB, Missouri; OLB 6'0" 245 Missouri
    MY GRADE - A-.
    Great value and a good complement to existing LBs at a position of need in Zimmer's scheme. What he lacks in speed and athleticism he makes up for in instinct and excellent tackling fundamentals, will fit well with Barr and Kendricks.

6. Moritz Boehringer, WR, Germany; WR 6'4" 227
    MY GRADE - A+.
    Love this pick. Athletic freak who can step in immediately on kick returns and special teams, with huge upside at the WR position if he can learn to run routes at the NFL level. Reminds me of Herman Moore.

6. David Morgan, TE, Texas-San Antonio; TE 6'4" 262 Texas-San Antonio
    MY GRADE - B.
    Prototypical blocking TE who can also play FB, he will help fill Ellison's role while he recovers from a torn patellar tendon. Won't help much as a receiving TE, and commits too many penalties. For his projected role, he was the best TE left on the board.

7. Stephen Weatherly, DE, Vanderbilt; OLB 6'4" 267 Vanderbilt
    MY GRADE - C+
    Definitely a project. Has good size and closing speed, but needs to add strength and improve technique to shed blocks.

7. Jayron Kearse, S, Clemson S 6'4" 216 Clemson
    MY GRADE - B.
    With his size and physical ability, Kearse should have gone much higher. He fell due to league-wide concerns about his instincts and competitive fire. Well, based on his post-draft reactions, that fire's been lit ... "I'm going to make the other 31 teams pay..." If Zimmer and Gray can instill a sense of urgency with this kid, he definitely has the skills to start opposite Harrison Smith.

OVERALL GRADE - A-
    The first 5 picks and the trade were outstanding, and the last 3 picks are intriguing prospects with decent upside. Already very excited for training camp ... well done Rick and coach Zim!

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

MoBo for TE and MacAx for Safety?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast