Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The O Line

1. http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vi...to-get-tougher

Fixing the offensive line, Zimmer said, should help an offense that ranked 31st in the league in passing last season. It could do more for Bridgewater's development than adding another veteran receiver to replace Mike Wallace, Zimmer said. And though Peterson needs to display more patience if he's going to be effective in another attempt at shotgun runs, a better offensive line should cut down on the one-yard runs that seemed to bug the coach about last season. According to ESPN Stats and Information, 103 of Peterson's 327 carries went for a yard or less. That total led the league, and on those carries, Peterson was hit an average of 1.09 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
    31.5% of his carries!!?!?? OUCH! But, exactly what I was thinking...if not for AD's one or two big runs per game, his average was really small. Many games he was only averaging 2 or less ypc before he broke the big one late.

All in all, pretty good read. Loved this quote too, and especially how I can see Boone changing that!

"I feel like every other position group on our football team has a tough-minded personality," Zimmer said. "I don't know that our offensive line did."
    BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vi...to-get-tougher

31.5% of his carries!!?!?? OUCH! But, exactly what I was thinking...if not for AD's one or two big runs per game, his average was really small. Many games he was only averaging 2 or less ypc before he broke the big one late.

All in all, pretty good read. Loved this quote too, and especially how I can see Boone changing that!

Also remember half our offensive snaps had Bridgewater in the shotgun with Peterson next to him which also didn't help, Peterson was 1.7 yards with Teddy in shotgun and 4.7 yards with Bridgewater under center.

Now is that a line problem or a formation issue

3. Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vi...to-get-tougher

Good work with this info... I'm certain what you point out is exactly what drove the Boone and Smith signings. Not to mention the poignant OL comments from Zim in his Boca press conference.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Another year under Teddy's belt will also help-I have to think the shotgun was to cheat a little for him. I'm hoping to see a beefier, more confident QB this season...
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

5. Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    I'm largely with you...very pleased with the Boone add. #sporano He's made some very powerful statements about the NFC North, the Vikes' Coaching Staff, and being a part of this Team. For some reason, I think this kid is going to be the kind of Leader that is going to make a major difference in OL play. I just think he and Sully will be the ones holding the group accountable...this is a very good move IMHO.

Re: Clemmings...I think he is destined for a long, successful career. I will not be surprised if he ends up as the Vikes' LT at some point, primarily due to his athleticism.

Also, I love the fact that Spielman was able to resign Harris and Loadholt with no, or minimal, guaranteed money... Players WANT to play here.
    T.J. Clemmings To Move To Left Tackle
    By Christopher Gates  @DailyNorseman on Apr 30, 2016, 4:40p 47

While we've been talking about the Minnesota Vikings creating competition along the offensive line this offseason, it appears that one of their starters from 2015 is going to be making a very interesting. . .and, potentially, very significant. . .move to the other side of the line.

During an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio during this weekend's 2016 NFL Draft, Vikings' head coach Mike Zimmer made the announcement that T.J. Clemmings was going to be moving from right tackle to left tackle.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/4/...to-left-tackle

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    T.J. Clemmings To Move To Left Tackle

During an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio during this weekend's 2016 NFL Draft, Vikings' head coach Mike Zimmer made the announcement that T.J. Clemmings was going to be moving from right tackle to left tackle.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/4/...to-left-tackle
    This makes for some very intriguing camp battles for OLine starting positions:

LT - Kalil, Clemmings
    LG - Boone, Berger, Beavers
    C - Sullivan, Berger
    RG - Fusco, Harris, Beavers
    RT - Loadholt, Smith

If Loadholt and Sully are back 100% and everyone else stays healthy, Fusco returns to 2014 form on the right side, and Kalil continues to steadily climb back from his fall from grace, that is a quality offensive line with some excellent depth regardless of who wins the starting jobs, particularly if Beavers is impressive in camp.

Sparano has a lot to work with.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

It will be a lot to work on. As really it is about trying to protect the QB and pave the way for the RB to run.
    Ready for Christmas!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Leafman View Post
    This makes for some very intriguing camp battles for OLine starting positions:

LT - Kalil, Clemmings
    LG - Boone, Berger, Beavers
    C - Sullivan, Berger
    RG - Fusco, Harris, Beavers
    RT - Loadholt, Smith

Sparano has a lot to work with. LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
    This is a position we haven't been in for a while......... hiding rookies on the practice squad. If they don't play much we can hide them and give them an extra year to mature.

There is potential there in the young guys. Sparano will get them playing well.

I LOVE THE NEW ADDITIONS TO THE OFFENCE LINE.. INCLUDING LINE COACH SPARANO.ITS NICE TO HAVE SULLY AND LOADHOLT BACK... FUSCO AT HIS NATURAL RIGHT SIDE ...ZIMM IS A VERY VERY GOOD COACH CREATING COMPETITION IS KEY AND ADDS DEPTH...THE BEST PART OF THIS IS THAT THE BEST PLAYER WILL START ..NO ONE JOB IS SAFE

10. Quote Originally Posted by purpleblood32 View Post
    I LOVE THE NEW ADDITIONS TO THE OFFENCE LINE.. INCLUDING LINE COACH SPARANO.ITS NICE TO HAVE SULLY AND LOADHOLT BACK... FUSCO AT HIS NATURAL RIGHT SIDE ...ZIMM IS A VERY VERY GOOD COACH CREATING COMPETITION IS KEY AND ADDS DEPTH...THE BEST PART OF THIS IS THAT THE BEST PLAYER WILL START ..NO ONE JOB IS SAFE
    Sparano is a great addition, as is Alex Boone. And, let's not forget the addition of Pat Shurmur as TE Coach. This Coaching Staff is THE best the Vikes have had for many years.

It takes some luck, player health, and high performance (from more than one emerging player AND the expected ones) consistently to win a Super Bowl. I am confident for the first time in many years that our Vikings have a Coaching Staff, and a solid, deep, roster to challenge for the foreseeable future. #bold

SKOL Vikings!!! See y'all at the Giants game!!!
    Last edited by MaxVike; 06-12-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast