Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Norseman Fixing the Offensive Line

I'm wondering what you guys think we should do about our Offensive Line. Do we have any updates on Loadholt's or Sully's injuries? The potential for Back and Achilles injuries on such large men to linger makes me nervous.

PFF had our OL ranked at 14, but I think some of that is on Peterson being a beast and Teddy being pretty slippery. Only 7 teams allowed more sacks and there are plenty of hits and throwing it away plays on top of that...not to mention 2 games lost in the final seconds to forced fumbles, D'oh!!

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

Peterson had several games where he was averaging only 2 yards a carry until one big play boosted his numbers. I feel that if we upgrade our OL it will help Teddy and Peterson.

Gotta love what Berger did this year, glad we've got him under contract for another. Maybe, Fusco could go back to RG. Not sure what to think of Clemmings, he is young, maybe he gets better.

And then there is Kalil. I'm sure they don't want to admit they were wrong about him, but I can't see us really paying him like a top five player when he's obviously not. I guess I could see us keeping him long term if he's willing to lower his salary.

I liked the sound of trading for Thomas out of CLE, but don't think it's very likely. I thought I read that he liked Cleveland and wanted to stay...?

Maybe we can give them Kalil, Patterson and Wallace!? And keep our draft picks! HaHa!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

2. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...he-first-round

23. Minnesota Vikings: Cody Whitehair, OG, Kansas State
    With glaring needs on the offensive line, is it too early to draft a guard? Not if the pick is Whitehair, who is this year's version of Zack Martin and ready to start in the NFL today.
    I could get down with this scenario. Move Fusco back to RG, keep Berger and Harris for depth, hope Sully and Load can return to top form and Kalil gets one more shot with better help around him. Maybe.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Bring back Sully and Loadholt, move Berger to LG, let Fusco, Harris, and Clemmons compete for RG, keep the 2 that lose the competition as very solid depth. Explore cutting ties with Kalil if we can find something better, I hear D'Brickashaw Ferguson may become available.

Wala OLine problem solved, now lets go get a WR...
    Twitter - @Pinfante97

4. I like the thought process, but if Sully or Loadholt are unable to return, it will change things considerably. I actually think the Vikings may let Loadholt go due to his injury history and salary.
    The ends have issues in pass protection, but pressure up the middle flushed Teddy out the back of the pocket far too often. If the middle can be solid in pass pro then Teddy can step up and throw, and the ends should have a little easier task.
    So even though I don't think Kalil or Clemmings are very good, I want to see the center and guards solid in pass pro. For me, that means Fusco doesn't fit on the starting line up. He may work out on the right side, if they decide to make Harris the utility back up, but Fusco was never that good at pass pro there either.
    I favor bringing in a new left guard through free agency or in the second to fourth round of the draft.
    Kalil seems to play well when he is adequately motivated and healthy, but too often seems to give full effort, and doesn't play to the whistle. That's just my personal observation and may, hopefully, be wrong.
    Clemmings seems slow off the snap and sometimes blocks the wrong guy, but did improve toward the end of the season. I just can't envision him against Von Miller, but in fairness, nobody can.
    Some people think the line is going to have no changes except Loadholt or Sully returning. While that may improve the line some, I don't see it as the answer.
    Teddy can help the line by hitting his back foot on the drop and releasing the ball more often, or making quicker decisions to throw the ball away when nothing is there. I expect to see more of that out of Teddy next year.

5. I still say take a run at Joe Thomas, it can't hurt! A 1st round and 4th round this year and a 3rd round next year. If that fall through, take a run at Cordy Glenn, he will probably be franchised but he is worth a shot also. Then I would go after Eric Berry who will probably be franchised and Wilkerson as well. if we can get one of those guys we would have a successful off-season already.

I would try to get Sean Weatherspoon, I liked him coming out of college. I think if we get him we can move Kendricks to Will, i like that lineup a lot better. Weatherspoon can run and is a better fit at Mike IMO. Finally if we don't get Glenn then we can try for Oesmele who is a better LT then Kalil, then we can trade Kalil. Finally I would try to sign Alex Boone if we haven't signed any O-linemen.

It looks pretty thin as far as FA that we may sign that can help us next year. It may be we have to try to fill as many holes as we can through the draft.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

6. I have been reading many mocks and looking into some of these prospects and here are a few the Vikes might want to take a look at in each round.

Round 1

OT - Taylor Decker- OSU he is very good at pass pro and he is solid with his run blocking. Good feet decent pick at 23.

OT - Jack Conklin MSU - Very similar to Taylor not quite as athletic, may be better at the run than Decker who is better at pass pro.

G - Cody Whitehair - a plug and play prospect, he is a very good run blocker. He is an all around solid player, highly unlikely Ricky drafts an interior lineman in the first round though. If he does Whitehair is the only interior lineman with a first round grade IMO.

Round 2

OT - Shon Coleman - AU - Not really sold on this guy but he does have a lot of people who like him.

OT - Jason Spriggs - Ind - Helped himself in the senior bowl. he's just below Conklin and Decker as far as his ability to block.

OT - Spencer Drango - He helped himself a lot at the senior bowl. He showed great feet and blocked great against top competition at the senior bowl practices. He would be my choice of the tackles I have in the 2nd round. He is this low because of his rank in the different NFL draft polls. I would even take him at the end of the first round.

G- Vadal Alexander - LSU - He is big and he is strong, he played tackle in college but isn't that athletic and will move guard in the nfl.

G - Landon Turner - LSU - He is a solid blocker and could help out with run blocking.

G- Joshua Garnett - Stan - He is a very good blocker and great in pass pro add to that he is very intelligent. I would draft him in the second round if I am drafting a guard. I like him and Cody Whitehair about the same so he is a steal in the second round.

G- Sebastian Tretola - ARK - He is a very big man who is a great run blocker, he needs work in pass pro though, solid not great.

C- Ryan Kelly - I would take him or Martin if they are available, he is a little stronger than Martin.

C- Nick Martin - ND - Great leader and can make all the calls, a little weak and may have to add some bulk for the NFL.

Round 3

OT - John Theus - GEO - Aggressive and good technician, he can get beat by speed rushers.

G - Christian Westerman - Has short arms and this could hurt him with swim moves. he does possess good strength.

C- Jack Allen - MSU - He possesses a toughness you like, he does well in play calling. He is another center with short arms, probably why he is playing center. he is not a great athlete but he does a solid job run blocking and picking up blitzes. He will help AP out more than TB.

C- Austin Blythe - Iowa - Again short arms and will need to add some weight and strength but he is a very intelligent and hard nosed player. I personally like Iowa linemen, they are usually NFL ready!!

Well, those are three rounds, I will try to get back at some point for rounds 4-7. Those are some linemen I like and some I think the Vikes will take a look at in a given round. have a great day!!

Go Vikes.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Vikes will go BPA in the Draft...I'm convinced. Clemmings was raw and had many areas to improve, however, he was widely viewed as a steal. He is a future anchor IMOH.

Sullivan will be back, and effective as ever. Berger was highly graded as Sully's fill in for 2015 and will be a starter or VERY solid backup at G or C.

Harris was graded high in the running game, but, was a liability in the passing game.

Load...Vikes needed Load this year. I hope Vikes keep him as RT.

Fusco...signed, sealed, delivered.

So, the biggest question to be answered is whether our Vikes keep Kalil. Whereas the OLine had issues this year, big issues, I can see Spielman taking a projected Day 1 starter as G or T in the first. But, I'm not convinced that will be the case.

Listen, we were ALL extremely frustrated with the lack of time Teddy had... Vikes moved on from the OLine coach as a result.

i would like to see the Vikes sign a FA Guard...maybe Jahri Evans, and bring in a #1 WR or more speed at S or LB early in the Draft.

In closing, I truly think Sully and Load back will make a huge difference in the OL. Assuming that Berger has a role as starting or rotational Guard. LT...well, Clemmings (due to his athleticism) was projected as an eventual starting LT. If the Vikes are not convinced that is the case, and that they need to move on from Kalil, that demands an LT pick early.

The Broncos success in winning SB50 cannot be ignored.... #1 defenses are 9-2 in the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by MaxVike; 02-10-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

So if Kalil takes a pretty substantial pay cut we keep him?
    Watching him this season he has shown only glimpses of what everyone thought he was capable of. I'm not sure he can be fixed and wouldn't be unhappy to let him go
    Purple till i die

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mark_The_Viking View Post
    So if Kalil takes a pretty substantial pay cut we keep him?
    Watching him this season he has shown only glimpses of what everyone thought he was capable of. I'm not sure he can be fixed and wouldn't be unhappy to let him go
    I say definitely keep him if we can come up with a reasonable contract for him. I mean what option do we have? Load and Sully are big question marks. Berger is 34... we can't just let our LT go. I know he's been a disappointment but he is still young and one thing you have to give him credit for is that he is durable and is always in there.

10. Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Vikes will go BPA in the Draft...I'm convinced. Clemmings was raw and had many areas to improve, however, he was widely viewed as a steal. He is a future anchor IMOH.

Sullivan will be back, and effective as ever. Berger was highly graded as Sully's fill in for 2015 and will be a starter or VERY solid backup at G or C.

I worry about him more than Load, he had a back injury, very scary for a center. Once that happens it tends to be a recurring injury. I am not sure Sully will ever be the same.

Harris was graded high in the running game, but, was a liability in the passing game.

Load...Vikes needed Load this year. I hope Vikes keep him as RT.

Fusco...signed, sealed, delivered.

He needs to move back to RG, he was a failure at LG and a liability.

So, the biggest question to be answered is whether our Vikes keep Kalil. Whereas the OLine had issues this year, big issues, I can see Spielman taking a projected Day 1 starter as G or T in the first. But, I'm not convinced that will be the case.

If we draft a lineman in the first round it will be a tackle and Kalil will be on notice. They may even try to trade him, although no one would pick up his insane contract.

Listen, we were ALL extremely frustrated with the lack of time Teddy had... Vikes moved on from the OLine coach as a result.

i would like to see the Vikes sign a FA Guard...maybe Jahri Evans, and bring in a #1 WR or more speed at S or LB early in the Draft.

I would like to go after Kelechi Osemele he has played LT for Balt but we can also move him inside to LG.

In closing, I truly think Sully and Load back will make a huge difference in the OL. Assuming that Berger has a role as starting or rotational Guard. LT...well, Clemmings (due to his athleticism) was projected as an eventual starting LT. If the Vikes are not convinced that is the case, and that they need to move on from Kalil, that demands an LT pick early.

The Broncos success in winning SB50 cannot be ignored.... #1 defenses are 9-2 in the Super Bowl.
    I think we will go after the BPA in the first round but I think Ricky knows the line needs to be fixed and will go O-line in the second. Especially if a good lineman is dropping for some reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast