Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Early rambling about prospects in the draft

We have a long time before we see the draft ticker starting but I am already looking into who the Vikes may draft. The early rounds will be easy to target some players the Vikes want, it is the later rounds (4-7) that has always intrigued me.

The Vikes the last few years have used a formula that has brought them some success. They find players that are absolute athletic freaks but may have gone to a small school or only have played football a year or too. In other words high risk, high reward guys. So as we get to the lower picks I may not have these guys on my radar.

I have a tape of the senior bowl I want to look at to see how the linemen did in individual drills and how they fared in the game. I want to see the WR/ DB drills also. So before the combine and pro days and not having seen the whole senior bowl week to look at and evaluate the talent, here are some players i feel will be around each round when the Vikes are going to be drafting. Mind you this list may change dramatically as players fly up and down the board with the combine and pro days. TB is a great example of the fluidity of the process.

These are lesser known players that might get drafted each round

1.Cody Whitehair 2. Noah Spence 3. Eric Striker, Leonte Carroo 4. Alex Collins 5. Roberto Aguayo, Ryan Kelley 6. Ken Dixon, Joe Dahl 7. Evan Boehm, Cyrus Jones

Some guys with great potential you may have not heard of are Evan Broehm, Jack Allen, two centers who could be a find for us. Eric Striker, yes, he is a very high profile name but IMO he will fall because of his size, teams will have a problem finding a position for him but he flies around and hits with mean intentions. If he falls to the 3rd or fourth round i would love to get this guy. I would take him in the second round but he will not grade out that way and Ricky won't draft him that high. Looking for a QB in the later rounds how about Cody Kessler, he just extends plays and has a very good arm. looking for A BIG WR, we may be able to get De'Runnya Wilson in the third, i would rather trade up in the fourth but he may not be there. Great size and body control, he has the hands to go up and fight for the ball. Another WR that is intriguing is Leonte Carroo who can be a great fit for this team and we should be able to get him at the end of the third or beginning of the fourth round.

After I watch the tape of the senior bowl i will have 5 to 7 players I think we can get in each round of the draft. Again, once the combine comes prospects will be blowing it up and we will have players blowing up the board and other in free fall.

Remember at the end of the season TB was considered by many the overall #1 pick. You know what happened after that.
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 02-01-2016 at 01:06 PM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

2. I think we have to wait to see what we do in FA. I am hoping we can fill our 2-3 biggest needs via FA and then we can go into the draft looking for BPA for the most part. If we strike out in FA then we definitely have to go into the draft with O Line on our minds. WR and SS would be nice as well early on but O Line for sure.

I would love to see us grab a SS and at least one Tackle, maybe a Guard as well in FA. If we do that we can go into this draft in great shape.

3. Quote Originally Posted by tonyd6269 View Post
    I think we have to wait to see what we do in FA. I am hoping we can fill our 2-3 biggest needs via FA and then we can go into the draft looking for BPA for the most part. If we strike out in FA then we definitely have to go into the draft with O Line on our minds. WR and SS would be nice as well early on but O Line for sure.

I would love to see us grab a SS and at least one Tackle, maybe a Guard as well in FA. If we do that we can go into this draft in great shape.
    I don't think Ricky will be a big player in FA. We may get a guard and a safety if one is available but I am guessing he will sign just one FA. He is more suited to build through the draft. I know we got Joseph and Munnerlyn but I don't think Ricky will pull the trigger unless the fit is great and the player is a stud. I don't see many of those players in FA this year that we need IMO.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

4. Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I don't think Ricky will be a big player in FA. We may get a guard and a safety if one is available but I am guessing he will sign just one FA. He is more suited to build through the draft. I know we got Joseph and Munnerlyn but I don't think Ricky will pull the trigger unless the fit is great and the player is a stud. I don't see many of those players in FA this year that we need IMO.
    You're probably right but I think this is the year to go big in FA. We are so close and we have so few glaring needs. We could fill them in FA and go into the draft with BPA strategy and be in such great shape at every position by the start of the season. I hate to go into this draft needing to address the O Line at every position. That's when you start reaching for players and your draft can become a dud quickly. Plus we need plug in lineman now. I really don't want to have to rely on rookies on the O Line.

5. Quote Originally Posted by tonyd6269 View Post
    You're probably right but I think this is the year to go big in FA. We are so close and we have so few glaring needs. We could fill them in FA and go into the draft with BPA strategy and be in such great shape at every position by the start of the season. I hate to go into this draft needing to address the O Line at every position. That's when you start reaching for players and your draft can become a dud quickly. Plus we need plug in lineman now. I really don't want to have to rely on rookies on the O Line.
    That is why I still say his (Ricky) biggest mistake was not signing Iupati. I don't think Fusco is a very good LG so if we would have had him at RG and Iupati at LG we would have been a much better team IMO. Now we are still trying to fix the line, instead of it being a strength.

6. Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    That is why I still say his (Ricky) biggest mistake was not signing Iupati.
    Well from what I remember we did make some effort. Who knows how hard we tried but I believe we did. Who knows maybe Lupati had something to do with it. Some times the players themselves have certain teams or locations they prefer to play. Picking Arizona makes sense. He's from American Samoa where the temp never dips below 80. No way he's playing in Minnesota!

I think we will do good things in FA this year. Everyone knows we are a team on the rise and not far away from being a SB contender. Also Zim is a coach people want to play for. It won't be hard to attract top players in FA.

WWBGD

8. Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    I think we will do good things in FA this year. Everyone knows we are a team on the rise and not far away from being a SB contender. Also Zim is a coach people want to play for. It won't be hard to attract top players in FA.
    Well, if we go by the previous two years, the formula is to get young players who did fairly well on their rookie contracts but didn't light it up. Zimmer/Ricky seem to see potential in them. Munnerlyn & Joseph played well but weren't players you would describe as pro bowlers before we signed them. Joseph i think has become one and Munnerlyn was one of the better slot CBs in the league. So don't look for any real big names in FA like Weddle or Berry. Von Miller and Josh Norman will be franchised IMO so they won't be there anyway.

cut Wallace sign Reggie Nelson to play SS and go sign the best WR you can get. Bring back Loadholt and Sullivan move Berger to LG...

then trade our first round pick for a pick next year and package both to move up and draft Fournette so we dont have to get away from the power running game...
    Last edited by PInfante97; 02-02-2016 at 07:40 PM.
    Twitter - @Pinfante97

10. Quote Originally Posted by PInfante97 View Post
    cut Wallace sign Reggie Nelson to play SS and go sign the best WR you can get. Bring back Loadholt and Sullivan move Berger to LG...

I like this idea if we don't get a good guard in FA or the draft.

then trade our first round pick for a pick next year and package both to move up and draft Fournette so we dont have to get away from the power running game...
    I think that may be a good idea but IMO there is no way Ricky would make a move like that. He is all about getting multiple picks and that goes against his strategy the last three years. He is going to trade down in the first round IMO if there isn't a stud O-Lineman or a top prospect that falls to us for some reason (e. g. Sharrif Floyd ). Ricky has a system and trading away multiple picks just doesn't sound like something he would do in the draft.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast