Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cornerback

Cornerback

Just a few random thoughts about our CB position.

After years of crappy corners I got to say it was very refreshing that even when Newman went out we brought in Trae Waynes, who played pretty well any time he was put in this year considering he was just a rookie, then when Waynes got hurt we were able to bring in Josh Robinson as our 5th CB. Robinson started the whole year the year before and we had the 7th ranked pass defense that year. So it was nice to know Robinson was our 5th corner, most teams would have turds in there and have no shot at covering anyone. Can any team in the league say they have better 1-5 corners then us? Having that depth is almost as important as having a stud 1 and 2 cause next to losing your QB for the year the other thing that will ruin a season is running out of guys who can cover.

I really hope Newman comes back for 1 more year and I also hope we re sign Josh Robinson for depth.

Also what was everyones thoughts on Trae Waynes? I feel it was luxury that he didnt have to play much this year, mainly because we didnt need him to, not so much due to him not being capable.

You can never have enough good corners, especially when you are in a division with Aaron Rodgers and I wouldnt be opposed to drafting another one in the top 3 rounds this year.

Thoughts?
    Twitter - @Pinfante97

2. Quote Originally Posted by PInfante97 View Post
    I really hope Newman comes back for 1 more year and I also hope we re sign Josh Robinson for depth.
    I guess I feel the opposite. I like what Newman did this year for us but I would let him walk and get Waynes in there. I think he will have some growing pains but I do think he can/will become an excellent cover guy. I'm not a big Josh Robinson guy but I guess for depth he wouldn't be too bad. I wouldn't be upset if he were gone as well.

I think Newman and Waynes should just swap roles next year. I see no reason not to keep Newman at a reasonable rate.

I also have no problem with Robinson as the No. 4 or No. 5 guy. He can run with almost anybody, which is all that really matters at that spot on the depth chart. Rhodes, Waynes, Munnerlyn, Newman, Robinson is a solid 5.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd6269 View Post
    I guess I feel the opposite. I like what Newman did this year for us but I would let him walk and get Waynes in there. I think he will have some growing pains but I do think he can/will become an excellent cover guy. I'm not a big Josh Robinson guy but I guess for depth he wouldn't be too bad. I wouldn't be upset if he were gone as well.
    if you let them both walk how are you going to replace the depth? Robinson is a great 4th or 5th Corner to have. Running out of cover guys due to injury will ruin your season just as bad as losing your QB. I like the idea of bringing Newman back and playing safety then drafting a safety that can be groomed behind newman for a year. And if needed then if gives us the option to move Newman back to CB in a pinch. I also like what Anthony Harris did in limited time.

I think our CB depth is a major luxury. I dont want to lose that luxury next year. Most teams that would be wheeling out there 5th corner in a playoff game lose big.
    Twitter - @Pinfante97

5. Quote Originally Posted by PInfante97 View Post
    if you let them both walk how are you going to replace the depth?
    I have no problem with Josh but Newman is 38 and can't be much left. I assume we will draft a CB mid/late and you can always find a CB in FA if you really need one. Josh is fine to keep and I guess you talked me into keeping him... for now.

Blog Entries
    I think the most important part on our D to fix is SS. If we can get Weddle, Berry, or Iloka back next to Smith and relegate Sendejo to the bench we will see an insane improvement in our already great secondary.

7. Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I think the most important part on our D to fix is SS. If we can get Weddle, Berry, or Iloka back next to Smith and relegate Sendejo to the bench we will see an insane improvement in our already great secondary.
    I'll take Iloka... he would be a huge improvement without breaking the bank. Berry would be awesome but no way we can pay both Smith and Berry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd6269 View Post
    I'll take Iloka... he would be a huge improvement without breaking the bank. Berry would be awesome but no way we can pay both Smith and Berry.
    I agree, but if we did have both of them I think we would be the best D in the league hands down next year. Think of the freedom Smith would have in Zim's D if we had another great cover S back there.

9. Quote Originally Posted by tonyd6269 View Post
    I have no problem with Josh but Newman is 38 and can't be much left. I assume we will draft a CB mid/late and you can always find a CB in FA if you really need one. Josh is fine to keep and I guess you talked me into keeping him... for now.
    Newman is 95% experience. He has seen it all...... that is why he played. He has lost a step and is still fast. He knows what Zim wants.

Waynes, was too high of a draft pick to sit the bench next year. I hope that it is do or die for him.

Could of, would of, should of......... Marcus Peters was a baller this year. In hind sight, I wish we would have drafted that guy.

Rhodes is doing a great job as our #1, but I wish he could be the #2. I don't think that Waynes is going to supplant him. I wish our #1 was more crafty in setting up the INT. I am probably asking too much. Anyway, I think we could get better.

10. Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post

Could of, would of, should of......... Marcus Peters was a baller this year. In hind sight, I wish we would have drafted that guy.
    Peters had too many red flags. I totally understand why they passed. He has had multiple issues in college with getting along with coaches and doing that they want him to do. Bad attitude... That wouldn't have went well with a guy like Zim. Who knows maybe Peters true colors will come out eventually but so far it looks like he was worth the risk.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast