Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Teddy

Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Just for shits and giggles ... since running the ball and controlling the clock are something "every championship team needs to do" ... Seems that is not really the case.

2015 champ was 19th in time of possession. 17th in rushing.
    2014 champ was 23rd in time of possession. 18th in rushing.
    2013 champ was 14th in time of possession. 4th in rushing.
    2012 champ was 29th in time of possession. 11th in rushing.
    2011 champ was 23rd in time of possession. 32nd in rushing.

Last five champs average was 21st in ball control and 16th in rushing.
    It absolutely is ... doesn't mean you have to be Top 10 in either, but you have to be able to do it when you need to. The Vikings cannot right now, and that's going to be a problem if they do not address it.

TOP, by the way, is *NOT* necessarily the same as controlling the clock. TOP is an overrated stat because some of the most effective offensive teams in history had relatively low TOP, partially because they were so good at scoring quickly (see '98 Vikings) and their propensity to play prevent defense with leads. A better measure is 4th quarter TOP for a team in games where they lead by 13 points or less ... that shows you a team that can exert its will on the ground and control the clock to manage a lead and win football games.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
    Last edited by Leafman; 10-12-2016 at 02:56 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Leafman View Post
    It absolutely is ... doesn't mean you have to be Top 10 in either, but you have to be able to do it when you need to. The Vikings cannot right now, and that's going to be a problem if they do not address it.

TOP, by the way, is *NOT* necessarily the same as controlling the clock. TOP is an overrated stat because some of the most effective offensive teams in history had relatively low TOP, partially because they were so good at scoring quickly (see '98 Vikings) and their propensity to play prevent defense with leads. A better measure is 4th quarter TOP for a team in games where they lead by 13 points or less ... that shows you a team that can exert its will on the ground and control the clock to manage a lead and win football games.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
    I have read what you both have to say and you both make some good points. To me I have always listened to the pundits talk about the eye test. And if you do that you can see a big difference in SB and TB. Now Tb had a great preseason and I was very hopeful about his play. But looking at SB throw and Tb from last year, there is a stark contrast. His accuracy and arm strength are visible compared to TB. He probably has more throws over 20 yards than TB in his career.

Who would have been better, we will never know, all I know is SB is one of the best QBs right now in the league, just look at his passer rating. And Spielman did a masterful job bringing him in, I have to admit I was mad when he gave away a first round pick but it looks like he knew what he was doing!!

Right C Mac D!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I have read what you both have to say and you both make some good points. To me I have always listened to the pundits talk about the eye test. And if you do that you can see a big difference in SB and TB.
    This was never the argument ... I agree Sam has been a better passer through 4 games than Teddy has ever been for us, there is no disputing that both statistically and in terms of an "eye test."

The argument is about whether the entire offense is better under Bradford this year than it was under Teddy last year ... and the numbers say clearly it is not, despite the improved passing attack. People get seduced by pretty QB play and think that's the key to winning ... its not. Rivers is the epitome of a QB guiding a gorgeous passing attack, and the Chargers haven't won jack.

The Vikings still have some serious issues on offense that, if not fixed, will prevent them from getting as far as we all hope they can this year.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Leafman View Post
    This was never the argument ... I agree Sam has been a better passer through 4 games than Teddy has ever been for us, there is no disputing that both statistically and in terms of an "eye test."

The argument is about whether the entire offense is better under Bradford this year than it was under Teddy last year ... and the numbers say clearly it is not, despite the improved passing attack. People get seduced by pretty QB play and think that's the key to winning ... its not. Rivers is the epitome of a QB guiding a gorgeous passing attack, and the Chargers haven't won jack.

The Vikings still have some serious issues on offense that, if not fixed, will prevent them from getting as far as we all hope they can this year.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
    I agree with this. After game one and AP's sad numbers, I thought it was on him for too much dancing behind the line and not hitting the holes. Now after game 5, I realize there are no holes. OL in terrible at run blocking. Me thinks we need Line helping to open up some space.

On another note................

I'm thrilled with Thielen and Patterson's involvement. Both have been under-utilized since they have been on the roster. Especially Thielen.

SB = Super Bowl
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Suick View Post
    On another note................

I'm thrilled with Thielen and Patterson's involvement. Both have been under-utilized since they have been on the roster. Especially Thielen.
    Hell yes ... and I think it's only gonna get better for both these guys when Diggs gets back on the field.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

As long as this is a Teddy thread that won't die, and the obvious hasn't been pointed out....

This is not the same offense as what Teddy ran last year. Any statistical comparison between what Teddy did last year and what Bradford is doing this year is pointless and hypothetical. The only meaningful comparison could be to what Teddy did his rookie year at age 21. If you want to dig into the numbers, knock yourself out.

I'm glad Spielman spent the picks to get Bradford. It was absolutely the right move for the franchise. I don't think there will be a trade. If we're lucky, next year there will be a quarterback competition and we will be two deep at the position.

Skol

The other thing that makes it tough to compare last year to this year is strength of schedule. We have already played 3 playoff teams from last year.

WWBGD

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    As long as this is a Teddy thread that won't die, and the obvious hasn't been pointed out....

This is not the same offense as what Teddy ran last year. Any statistical comparison between what Teddy did last year and what Bradford is doing this year is pointless and hypothetical. The only meaningful comparison could be to what Teddy did his rookie year at age 21. If you want to dig into the numbers, knock yourself out.

I'm glad Spielman spent the picks to get Bradford. It was absolutely the right move for the franchise. I don't think there will be a trade. If we're lucky, next year there will be a quarterback competition and we will be two deep at the position.

Skol

Yep. High draft picks are somewhat overrated.. Our #1 pick's only contribution this year has been to catch an on side kick.
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em

Still think this offense looks better under Bradford?

Looks pretty lousy to me....

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Leafman View Post
    Still think this offense looks better under Bradford?

Looks pretty lousy to me....

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
    So the lack of pass protection and running game is on Bradford

Really?

Teddy would make this game look better

Really?

Or we'd be ok with Hill because its simply just Sam that's the problem in this game

Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast