Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Vikes trade Hodges

Not quite sure what is going on here..... Vikes trade Hodges to the 49ers in exchange for a 6th round pick and a back up center. Can we read into this that Sullivan is not progressing has hoped?
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Sullivan has been out all year with an injury, but is eligible to return in 4 weeks.

It's still a bad trade regardless. Easton was probably going to be cut anyway and we could have gotten him for nearly nothing. Classic Spielman.

3. Perhaps looking at putting Easton at Center, moving Berger to Right Guard, and moving Harris back to Right Tackle...... Our rookie Clemmings is really struggling at RT
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

4. We basically got a 6th round pick and an old sock for Hodges

Quote Originally Posted by Vikefanman2000 View Post
    Perhaps looking at putting Easton at Center, moving Berger to Right Guard, and moving Harris back to Right Tackle...... Our rookie Clemmings is really struggling at RT
    This is exactly it. Clemmings had a really awful game at Denver, and I think they don't want to put him back out there until he's gotten more practice time. Pulling the trigger on the trade now gives them an extra week to get Easton in to learn the calls before Week 6 against KC.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Leafman View Post
    This is exactly it. Clemmings had a really awful game at Denver, and I think they don't want to put him back out there until he's gotten more practice time. Pulling the trigger on the trade now gives them an extra week to get Easton in to learn the calls before Week 6 against KC.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
    I think you're missing the point. Yes, we bring in a lineman during the bye-week to get him caught up and ready for KC… but why Easton? He hasn't even been active for the Niners yet this season and it was reported early today that Easton was waived by the 49ers, only to end up being traded later in the day. Why trade for him when we could have easily acquired him for nothing. Easton probably won't be on our roster for more than a few weeks.

So why? We lost a starting caliber MLB for what? Just a head-scratcher overall.
    Last edited by C Mac D; 10-06-2015 at 07:39 PM.

7. A player has to clear waivers, they didn't want to take a chance.

I liked Hodges, he makes a great back up.

It will all work out in the end. Maybe we will pick the next Jerry Rice or Tom Brady with that pick. Ok, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I think you're missing the point.
    Not missing *THE* point, I'm missing *your* point. Deliberately.

Vikings scouts coveted Easton, one of the guys on their draft board who went undrafted. They pursued him after the draft, but he signed with the Ravens.

Clemmings is not ready to start, made clear by his performance the last two weeks.

Easton allows them to shuffle more experience right, while building depth and potentially grooming Sully's replacement.

Dealing Hodges is GOOD news ... it means the coaching staff is comfortable enough with the development of their young LBs to part ways with him and go with Hendricks in the middle, flanked by Cole and Barr. Get used to this LB corps ... they will be an NFL Force for several years.

Like all good high risk trades, the Vikings traded a position where they have strength for a position where they lacked depth and a solid future plan from the talent level of the current roster. I loved Hodges, but if there was a pawn on the chessboard to sacrifice for immediate need and future value, he was it.

Try to understand the bigger picture and apply game theory to this transaction ... it makes the logic and wisdom of the move much more clear than it does from behind the dirty laptop screen of an angry, fatalistic fan.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
    Last edited by Leafman; 10-06-2015 at 09:58 PM.

I loved Hodges...he has grown and has made plays. As a Penn St Dad (of 2 daughters), I'm truly sad to see him go. We were visiting our oldest daughter in Happy Valley when Michael Mauti was carted off the field vs. Indiana. Remember, Hodges and Mauti were THE team leaders that kept the Team together during the Joe Paterno controversy. Hodges is a good kid, and has worked his ass off to be an NFL LB...

With that being said, there is no doubt in my mind, and clearly in the Vikes' Staff (Zim IMHO) that Kendricks is the better LB and that the OL needs help...and, I agree. I don't think the defense will skip a beat and that Kendricks will be a more dynamic playmaker.

I'm not wild about the trade, but I understand the motivation.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Not sure how I feel about this one. Thought Hodges has a lot of up-side and could possibly start at some point. Don't really know anything about Easton so I can't speak for him as for what kind of player he is.

Apparently Spielman and Co. have really wanted to nab Easton back to the draft week. Guess we will see...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast