Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Portsmouth UK
    Posts
    691

    So.... You have the #1 pick in the draft

    There is a lot of discussion here in the UK about the risk v rewards of taking Winston #1 overall.

    You have the #1 pick and a team who need a QB do you:

    A. Pick Winston and hope his attitude can be fixed
    B. Pick Mariota because he comes without baggage

    Interested in your thoughts.

    I would likely go Mariota, Winston is more out of the box ready but he's no use if he's suspended
    Purple till i die

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_The_Viking View Post
    There is a lot of discussion here in the UK about the risk v rewards of taking Winston #1 overall.

    You have the #1 pick and a team who need a QB do you:

    A. Pick Winston and hope his attitude can be fixed
    B. Pick Mariota because he comes without baggage

    Interested in your thoughts.

    I would likely go Mariota, Winston is more out of the box ready but he's no use if he's suspended
    Winston is the only choice. He is by far the most pro ready. Can make all the throws. And is a leader that gets people to follow him.

    They both have their problems, but Winston is so much further along in his progression it really should not be a choice. Mariota has a much higher bust chance while not having any real foreseeable higher ceiling. If the ceiling looked like it could be much higher, maybe he is the pick. But it doesn't.

    Winston is the pick. You have to gamble on quarterbacks to win in this league. He is the better of the two on the field and that is the gamble that needs to be taken.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    14,273
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Winston is the only choice. He is by far the most pro ready. Can make all the throws. And is a leader that gets people to follow him.

    They both have their problems, but Winston is so much further along in his progression it really should not be a choice. Mariota has a much higher bust chance while not having any real foreseeable higher ceiling. If the ceiling looked like it could be much higher, maybe he is the pick. But it doesn't.

    Winston is the pick. You have to gamble on quarterbacks to win in this league. He is the better of the two on the field and that is the gamble that needs to be taken.
    Personally, I would never draft Winston first overall. The experts can say what they want, but from what I've seen of his play, I was less than impressed. The ball was often wobbling and inaccurate, but his receivers typically made him look good. Couple this with his off-field issues, and I wouldn't touch him.

    But hey, I'm no expert and he could go on to be an All-Pro his rookie season, but I just don't see it. I'd absolutely draft Mariota first overall.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Personally, I would never draft Winston first overall. The experts can say what they want, but from what I've seen of his play, I was less than impressed. The ball was often wobbling and inaccurate, but his receivers typically made him look good. Couple this with his off-field issues, and I wouldn't touch him.

    But hey, I'm no expert and he could go on to be an All-Pro his rookie season, but I just don't see it. I'd absolutely draft Mariota first overall.
    Or find a trade partner that covets Winston and load up on draft picks. I don't have a good feeling about this guy or any QB in this draft for that matter. If you end up stuck at #1 though, I think you have to take Winston and cross your fingers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Personally, I would never draft Winston first overall. The experts can say what they want, but from what I've seen of his play, I was less than impressed. The ball was often wobbling and inaccurate, but his receivers typically made him look good. Couple this with his off-field issues, and I wouldn't touch him.

    But hey, I'm no expert and he could go on to be an All-Pro his rookie season, but I just don't see it. I'd absolutely draft Mariota first overall.
    I agree with Winston, Tampa is in a bad spot, when you have the #1 overall pick you should be able to get your franchise QB. Unfortunately this isn't the year to have the #1 pick IMO. Winston is the most pro ready but does have accuracy issues IMO but Mariota came from the spread offense. Those QBs have historically tanked going all the way back to Andre Ware. They just have so much catching up to do I don't think they can make it in the number of years given to them. Just think of this, Mariota has never called a play, been under center and read a progression of no more then one to two reads. Just look at RGIII and Kaepernick and you see what his future is going to be in the NFL.

    If I were Tampa I would do what Houston did several years ago when they drafted Williams and let NO draft Bush. They turned out to be right, then in the second round I would draft Petty, he has the same issues as Mariota but a second round pick is not as painful a loss if he fails. He has a huge arm and throws a pretty ball, fairly accurate. The negatives are much the same as Mariota's negatives.

    I would try someone like Mannion in the fourth round (you may get him in the fifth round). Big strong kid (6' 5", 220) and has a strong arm, also played in a pro style of offense under Mike Riley. He has a strong arm and played fairly well considering he was the only offense that had due to injury. They were very one dimensional but he played well.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,859
    I wouldn't draft Winston over a bunch of players in this draft. But, on the field and on the tape he is ahead of Mariota.

    I think both of them could be stars or busts. Winston certainly is the safer pick and appears to have more upside as well. The scouts normally know what they are doing. That is why Bledsoe went before Mirer, Manning before Leaf and Luck before Griffin. I think it is much easier to dislike Winston (mostly because he seems to be a jackass) so it is easier to convince yourself that he has more flaws. He doesn't. He is a leader on the field. He makes all the throws. He gets players around him to be fiercely loyal.

    He is the pick at No. 1. If you don't want him you have to trade to someone who does.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wausau, WI
    Posts
    329
    So... if I had the #1 pick in the draft, that would likely mean that my team has major flaws. Unless I was absolutely sure that I had the right starting QB on my roster, I would feel the urgency to draft a new face of the franchise QB. I would feel the need to start winning ASAP, so I would select the QB that's most likely to accelerate the winning process. In this year's draft, I would definitely draft Winston, and not try to borrow trouble with his past character concerns.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    713
    Some of you might remember that I was all about Brandin Cooks, the WR out of Oregon St. He ended up going to the Saint (which REALLY pissed me off), and was one of the 5 or so rookie WRs that made a mark on last year's season. Well, HIS college QB was Mannion- that kid will be a starting QB in the NFL, and a good one. I am NOT saying I guarantee that he is an elite one, but barring injury, I feel comfortable that he will do a good job for whoever drafts him. Most of the time, that isn't enough, but when you are talking about QBs, it is saying a lot!

    What does this have to do with Winston and Mariota? Well, I would draft NEITHER, going for the picks instead. Though I agree that he is truly gifted at the QB position and will be great in the NFL, Winston has "off the field bust" written all over him. Most GMs cringe when they hear a potential QB gets drunk a little too often; but one who has been caught shoplifting, screaming profanity where only the greatest of idiots do so, and being accused of sexual assault?

    You might say he was never charged, but it WAS covered up; go read the details if you doubt me. If he really didn't do it, he should be livid at the people who made sure no one would seriously look into it- THEY, at least, thought he was responsible.

    Dudes who assault women and get away with it usually do it again. I wouldn't touch this kid, but instead fleece whatever team is willing to pay the most to take the chance.

    Mariota not only runs a spread offense, but he also ran in that Kelly style hurry-up offense, and counted on seeing tired under-prepared defensive backs. If he is given the time to learn (say 2 years), he will be a good QB like Mannion. But unlike Mannion, teams will expect him to step in right away.

    I would touch neither, and get Mannion in the third (to insure I get him).
    Last edited by drewlovs; 04-17-2015 at 12:02 AM.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central WV
    Posts
    985
    I wouldn't touch Winston with a 10 foot pole. Not only is he not a bona fide first pick QB, he has red flags from here to yonder. See Johnny Manziel. Mariota is a class dude and it's close enough between them I'd not take a chance on Winston and all his baggage.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,667
    Winston is the better player so I would take him.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •