60 Bykowski, Carter T 6-7 306 24 1 Iowa State
    79 Harris, Mike T 6-5 318 26 3 UCLA Retained
    75 Kalil, Matt T 6-7 308 25 3 USC
    71 Loadholt, Phil T 6-8 343 29 6 Oklahoma
    78 Richardson, Antonio T 6-6 330 23 0 Tennessee
    72 Wentworth, Austin T 6-5 303 24 0 Fresno State

Quotes below are from:
    http://blog.startribune.com/sports/a...eeds-to-happen
    LG Charlie Johnson: Released Feb. 27 in a move that was expected. It saved $2.5 million against the cap, but this was a decision based on performance.

What it means: Re-signing interior backup Joe Berger on the first day of free agency reduces the desperation to reach for a starter in free agency. Berger is a nice worst-case scenario to fall back on as a starter. The Vikings let the top three guards, including Mike Iupati, sign elsewhere and had no interest in trading for Eagles guard Evan Mathis. They’ll continue monitoring the market and watch for players who might be released.
    OL Joe Berger re-signed: The soon-to-be 33-year-old re-signed for two more years on March 10.

What it means: It’s a significant re-signing that continues Berger’s underrated but significant role as an experienced backup to all three interior offensive line positions. Berger is a center first, but can play either guard position at a winning level as well. Last year, he started nine games at right guard after Brandon Fusco was injured and Vlad Ducasse was ineffective.
    LS Cullen Loeffler re-signed: Agreed to a new one-year deal on March 8 and will return for a team-high 12th season in 2015.

What it means: If Loeffler hadn’t been re-signed, the Vikings likely would have headed into the season with an unproven long snapper, possibly a rookie. That’s how Loeffler got the job as an undrafted rookie in 2004. In 11 seasons, the only blemish on Loeffler’s resume was the botched punt snap that led to a game-losing safety in the closing seconds at Miami a year ago. One mishap in 11 seasons shouldn’t — and didn’t — overshadow Loeffler’s full body of work.
    Find a starting left guard: If there’s one priority that would rank ahead of backup QB, this is it. The idea is to come out of free agency and head into the draft with a team you’d be satisfied playing a game with. Right now, the Vikings don’t have a left guard that fits that description, although Berger is a nice worst-case scenario to fall back on. David Yankey could become that guy. But that’s not good enough. The Vikings, however, have exercised patience so far. They’ll continue monitoring the market and watch for possible cuts down the road.
    Last edited by snowinapril; 03-17-2015 at 10:04 PM.

i gotta imagine we will sign a LG at some point or draft one high
    Twitter - @Pinfante97

3. I am hoping that they have Yankey primed and he is our guy. That means we would go after other positions in the 1st and 2nd, WR and LB or S and CB

I think they were happy with Harris last season. He provides depth.

4. http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-br...3-2cb9557a5de0
    There has been an abundance of speculation as to how the Vikings will eventually fill their void at the starting left guard position. Last year’s starter, Charlie Johnson, was released this offseason and there is no heir apparent. Some say Iowa’s Brandon Scherff or another draft pick would be the best fit, while others have pegged free agency as the team’s best bet of finding a replacement.

But a roster transaction made by the Vikings on Tuesday raises another possibility, according to Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press. Mike Harris, who started the final five games of last season at right tackle, was re-signed by the Vikings on Tuesday and he suggested to Tomasson that he could be the team’s next starter at left guard.

“The job's open, and I'm going to compete for whatever I can get,” Harris told Tomasson. “I want to start in this league. I feel I could move inside. I've been working on it.”
    71 Loadholt, Phil T 6-8 343 29 6 Oklahoma
    61 Berger, Joe G 6-5 305 32 10 Michigan Tech
    65 Sullivan, John C 6-4 301 29 7 Notre Dame
    79 Harris, Mike T 6-5 318 26 3 UCLA
    75 Kalil, Matt T 6-7 308 25 3 USC

If anybody was as surprised as me that Yankey never saw playing time last season, this is a good article to read.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story...fseason-013015
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

6. I wonder where Yankey's functional strength is now?

That was a good article, it pointed out the possible cut of Johnson.

62 Ducasse, Vladimir G 6-5 325 27 5 Massachusetts GONE to Bears
    Ducasse was a weak link that was exploited often.

Quote Originally Posted by Tad7 View Post
    If anybody was as surprised as me that Yankey never saw playing time last season, this is a good article to read.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story...fseason-013015
    Yankey used size and his weight in college. That is not enough in the NFL. Strength, conditioning, and technique go a long way.

I wonder if Antonio "Tiny" Richardson's knees will be ready for camp.

I think both Richardson and Yankey could be solid NFL starters. I like that the coaches saw the potential in these guys, but could tell that they needed work and kept them off the field last season.

Yankey definitely has the tools if he can get it all to gel. I think that Richardson is all about being healthy. If he is, then he is a legitimate starter in the league.

10. Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    I think both Richardson and Yankey could be solid NFL starters. I like that the coaches saw the potential in these guys, but could tell that they needed work and kept them off the field last season.

Yankey definitely has the tools if he can get it all to gel. I think that Richardson is all about being healthy. If he is, then he is a legitimate starter in the league.
    +1 I have said in other threads that in preseason Yankey couldn't hold the point and his footwork was horrible.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast