Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Charles Johnson Thread!

Where did he come from?

Drafted by the Packers in the seventh round in 2013.

Charles Johnson - WR - Vikings

Vikings WR Charles Johnson caught six balls for 87 yards in the team's Week 11 loss to the Bears.
    Athletic specimen Johnson got a playing-time bump with Jarius Wright and Greg Jennings both leaving due to injuries. He capitalized, securing all but one of his targets and leading Minnesota in receiving on a day where Teddy Bridgewater was wholly ineffective for the fifth straight game. Johnson has been a Dynasty hold for some time now. He will be on the WR4 radar in re-draft leagues if neither Wright nor Jennings can play in next week's bout with Green Bay.
    Nov 16 - 4:12 PM

Charles Johnson caught 2-of-3 targets for 22 yards against the Lions Week 6.
    Johnson saw extended time with Cordarrelle Patterson limited by a hip injury. Johnson has the athletic profile to be an interesting wide receiver, but would need to see a lot more playing time to become fantasy relevant in the Vikings' inept offense.
    Oct 12 - 5:16 PM

September 20, 2014 1:18 pm
    Vikings sign Charles Johnson off Browns' practice squad
    by R.J. White | CBSSports.com

The Vikings announced Saturday that they have signed wide receiver Charles Johnson off the Browns' practice squad. Johnson, who caught six passes for 65 yards in four preseason games with the Browns, played under Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner in Cleveland last season.
    Share: Twitter Facebook

Vikings signed WR Charles Johnson off the Browns practice squad.
    Johnson played under OC Norv Turner in Cleveland last season and knows his system. It's a nice landing spot, but Johnson is no higher than the No. 5 receiver on the depth chart. With WR Rodney Smith (hamstring) questionable, Johnson could be active this week.
    Source: Master Tesfatsion on Twitter
    Sep 20 - 1:18 PM

Charles Johnson - WR - Browns

Browns signed WR Charles Johnson to their practice squad.
    He obviously passed through waivers unclaimed -- no other NFL teams wanted him -- but the Browns still see potential here. If LaRon Byrd or Taylor Gabriel fails to impress this regular season, Johnson could get an in-season callup.
    Sep 1 - 5:20 PM

Browns waived WR Charles Johnson.
    It initially appeared that Johnson made Cleveland's final 53, but the Browns cut him after utilizing waiver claims. Johnson has a great blend of size and speed, but is already 25 years old, and was generally quiet in preseason games despite playing a ton of snaps. He should still get one more opportunity elsewhere. It's also possible the Browns sign him to their practice squad.
    Related: Browns
    Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
    Aug 31 - 2:48 PM

August 31, 2014 5:13 pm
    Browns shuffle roster
    by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

The Browns claimed two more players off waivers, wideout LaRon Byrd from the Cowboys and offensive lineman Caylin Hauptmann from the Seahawks. In addition, Cleveland waived offensive linemen Karim Barton and Martin Wallace and wideout Charles Johnson.

Second-year WR Charles Johnson made the Browns' 53-man roster.
    At 6'2/215 with 4.38 wheels, we wouldn't rule out an impact for Johnson as long as his reconstructed knee holds up. He'd give the Browns' receiving corps something they currently lack -- natural size/speed ability. They are currently set to start Miles Austin and Andrew Hawkins. Johnson had six catches for 65 yards on 115 preseason snaps.
    Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
    Aug 31 - 11:41 AM

Charles Johnson caught 1-of-2 targets for 13 yards in Saturday's preseason game.
    His grab came deep into garbage time with the second-team offense. Johnson has lots of theoretical upside, but just five catches for 46 yards through three preseason games. He should have a spot on the 53-man roster, but is unlikely to make a re-draft impact this season.
    Aug 24 - 12:14 AM

Charles Johnson caught three passes for 30 yards in the Browns' preseason opener.
    Drawing raves in Browns camp, Johnson also drew a pass-interference penalty. Johnson's longest reception was a 15-yard screen, where he made a nice cut and displayed some serious quickness. Standing in at 6-foot-2, 215 pounds with 4.38 wheels, Johnson is someone to keep a close eye on as the Browns attempt to fill out their barren receiver corps. The prime takeaway from Saturday night's game is Johnson is healthy after last year's ACL tear. He should be owned in all Dynasty leagues.
    Aug 9 - 11:15 PM

Charles Johnson has reportedly been a "revelation" in the first days of Browns camp.
    Johnson is on our radar because he's 6'2/215 with 4.38 jets and the Browns are desperate at the wideout spot. ESPN Cleveland says he's "surprisingly up to speed on the Kyle Shanahan offense" and "could be the receiver that comes out of nowhere to lessen the impact of if not offset" the Josh Gordon suspension.

July 28, 2014 9:49 am
    Browns sitting on a sleeper in Charles Johnson?
    by Dave Richard | Senior Fantasy Writer

The Browns took a chance on receiver Charles Johnson when he came available on waivers in 2013, only to find out he had a torn ACL. But the Browns have been patient and with the team needing all the help they can get at receiver, ESPN reports Johnson could develop into a part of their offense.

Johnson is 6-foot-2, 215 pounds and famously ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds. He's had a star-crossed college career that began at Louisville and wound up at Grand Valley State, then was a seventh-round pick of the Packers before landing in Cleveland.

ESPN believes Johnson has "too much ground to make up" to be an "instant contributor," but that he's the only guy comparable to Josh Gordon's size and speed among the Browns' receivers.

October 13, 2013 11:55 am
    Two defenders only injured scratches for Browns
    by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com

The continued inactivity of starting outside linebacker Jabaal Sheard (knee) highlights the injury report submitted by the Browns for the game Sunday against the visiting Lions. Defensive end Billy Winn (quad) is the only other injured inactive. Quentin Groves, who will help out at Sheard's spot, will play despite an ankle problem.

The healthy inactives are wide receiver Charles Johnson, offensive linemen Patrick Lewis, Martin Wallace and Garrett Gilkey and tight end Keavon Milton.

September 2, 2013 12:18 pm
    Packers make roster moves
    by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

The Packers signed quarterback Seneca Wallace, released quarterback B.J. Coleman and signed six players to their practice squad: guard Bryan Collins, wideout Charles Johnson, cornerback James Nixon, tight end Jake Stoneburner, quarterback Scott Tolzien and wideout Myles White.

2. Pre-draft------------

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...son?id=2541147

Draft Analysis:
    Though he was not at the NFL Scouting Combine, the receiver made his mark at his pro day. He's a top-notch athlete with great hands.

Overview

At Grand Valley State's pro day, Johnson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 and 4.39 seconds. He had a 4.31-second short shuttle and 6.96-second three-cone drill. He had a 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and an 11-foot-1 broad jump. He performed 14 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press.

Drafted By: Packers in 2013
    Round 7
    Pick 10
    Overall 216

Browns Perspective:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...harles-johnson

Grizzled veteran Miles Austin and Nate Burleson were added to a corps of pass-catchers that also include jitterbug Andrew Hawkins and subpackage burner Travis Benjamin. The rest of the depth chart is enigmatic, but here's one name that continues to bubble up: Charles Johnson, who ESPNCleveland.com called a "revelation in the first days of training camp" on the heels of last season's ACL injury.

"The easy things are all the recognizables right away, that he's 6-foot-2 and a half, 215 pounds," Browns general manager Ray Farmer told reporters on Sunday. "He ran a 4.38 40 (yard dash). Those are the easy pieces, but when you watch the tape you like his hands. You like the fact that he can run the routes, and right now it's a young man that put a lot of work to recovering from an ACL injury. You can see that he's big. He's still fast and he can run routes and catch the football."

Farmer scouted Johnson at Division II's Grand Valley State before the wideout was drafted last year by the Packers, who lost Johnson to Cleveland when the Browns plucked him off Green Bay's practice squad in October.

"He's explosive," coach Mike Pettine said. "He's a guy that is deceptively fast. He doesn't look like he's covering a lot of ground but he is. I think his catch radius is bigger than most. He's got long arms and he's got (big) hands. He's a guy that we hope can emerge from this as a guy that can help us."

Johnson is on our radar, but let's pump the brakes until he starts producing on the field. It's nice to have a promising young player, but unless he steps up immediately, the Browns are a lock to lean more heavily on tight end Jordan Cameron than anyone at receiver to make up for Gordon's potential loss.

3. http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...s-johnson-owes

Tom Powers: Surprising Vikings receiver Charles Johnson owes his success to hard work ... and Google
    By Tom Powers
    tpowers@pioneerpress.com

The question was: how to return to the game? A few major colleges still had interest.
    Advertisement
    But the rules state that Johnson would have to sit out a season before playing, meaning he'd be left with one year of eligibility. So he decided to take a different route.

"Actually, I went on Google and Googled: 'Top Division II programs in the nation,' '' he said.

There, near the top, was "Grand Valley State University" in Michigan.

Cool.

"I shot the coaches an email, and they gave me a call," he said. "They were interested. I went up there and had a workout with them and they offered me a scholarship. I had no idea about Division II football until I got on Google that day. I just wanted to play. Going back to Division I, I'd have had to sit out a year and only be able to play one year."

After two good, if rather obscure, seasons at Grand Valley, he was drafted in the seventh round, 216th overall, by the Green Bay Packers in 2013. On the second day of organized team activities, he hurt his knee. He hobbled around on the Packers' practice squad for a while. Then he was picked up by the Cleveland Browns and assigned to their practice squad. He was 25 and hadn't yet played in an NFL game.

4. He has traveled an interesting road. Glad to have him here, hopefully we can keep him and he improves along side Teddy and possibly AP.

5. Two receivers over a 100 yards for the first time in quite some time. This team is getting better.
    http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/12...receiving-feat

6. Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    He has traveled an interesting road. Glad to have him here, hopefully we can keep him and he improves along side Teddy and possibly AP.
    This has to be a bad decision Spielman brought him in, IMO he should be cut and Spielman hung by his Badoozers!!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

3 things i like about comments i've read on CJohnson

- big strong frame
    - big hands
    - understands route running

saw his interview on vikings.com he looks high strung, ready to go kid. if Norv is the coach i think he his, i like the idea of having wright/CP/Cj/rudy being a core of wr's growing with teddy. add in extra talent, and get AP in there. we would have the O for norv to direct!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Looks like he put Patterson's butt on the pine.

9. Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    This has to be a bad decision Spielman brought him in, IMO he should be cut and Spielman hung by his Badoozers!!!
    Not sure you understand how to grade a GM. The first 3 rounds should be automatic, the last 3 rounds pure luck. The 4th round is where you separate the good GM's from the bad. Those that have success in the 4th round are the true stud GM's.

BTW, I looked up badoozer and the best I could find was those that Badoo (ie., badoo-zer's). Some social networking thing to hook up I think. Mostly caters to surfers according to their website photos. I think I catch your drift, but if you do happen to be a badoo-zer, let me know how those surfer chicks are working out. See my avatar, this site was built for me.

10. Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Not sure you understand how to grade a GM. The first 3 rounds should be automatic, the last 3 rounds pure luck. The 4th round is where you separate the good GM's from the bad. Those that have success in the 4th round are the true stud GM's.

BTW, I looked up badoozer and the best I could find was those that Badoo (ie., badoo-zer's). Some social networking thing to hook up I think. Mostly caters to surfers according to their website photos. I think I catch your drift, but if you do happen to be a badoo-zer, let me know how those surfer chicks are working out. See my avatar, this site was built for me
    "Hey where'd you get that Jacket?"
    "cool buzz (or bud) and a tasty wave."
    "if you're here and I am here, isn't it our time?"
    "You d**k"
    " I can fix it, my dad has a awesome set of tools. I cannn fix it."

I think it was Norv that made this acquisition possible or even know to go after the kid. Probably not so much Spielman. I don't dislike Spielman.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast