Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Breaking: Adrian Peterson will plead guilty to Class A misde

Adrian Peterson will plead guilty to Class A misdemeanor

Posted: Nov 04, 2014 7:22 AM CST Updated: Nov 04, 2014 7:54 AM CST by Fox 9 staff

HOUSTON (KMSP) - Sources tell Fox 26 News in Houston that Adrian Peterson will plead guilty Tuesday to a Class A misdemeanor assault charge in his child abuse case. The plea deal is a move that could pave the way for his return to the Minnesota Vikings this season.
    A source told Fox 26 that Peterson and his legal team were informed the plea deal is acceptable to the NFL and opens the door for his return to Vikings this season. The source said a leak of the deal likely came from the NFL offices, as Peterson and attorney Rusty Hardin have been in constant contact with the league to provide updates on the case.

What week Peterson could return is unknown. This plea deal is expected to include probation.

Peterson was facing up to two years in prison if convicted, but legal experts said both sides have good reason to reach a plea deal. For prosecutors, it's two reasons:
    1. Corporal punishment is very subjective
    2. Prosecutors didn't get along with the judge in this case. They even tried to have the judge removed from the case at a recusal hearing, but the motion was denied. They believe this judge has a bias against the district attorney's office.
    For Adrian Peterson, this deal looks like it will accelerate his return to the Vikings. Peterson has now missed 8 games so far this season, and has been paid close to $700,000 per week while being on the commissioner's exempt list.

2. If they left him play, I predict it will be the last three games

3. 2014 Minnesota Vikings: Adrian Peterson to Plead Guilty to Class A Misdemeanor

November 4, 2014, by Arif Hasan No comments yet
    According to My Fox Twin Cities, Adrian Peterson will plead guilty to a Class A Misdemeanor in Montgomery County, as previously reported by Adam Schefter. The most important part of the report as it regards the Minnesota Vikings and his playing time:
    A source told Fox 26 that Peterson and his legal team were informed the plea deal is acceptable to the NFL and opens the door for his return to Vikings this season.
    In this case, the plea deal is expected to include probation. In Texas a Class A Misdemeanor carries maximum penalties that include any combination of a one-year sentence in jail, a $4000 fine and/or probation.
    If the plea deal is “acceptable to the NFL” per the Fox report, then his suspension could be minimal or even nonexistent, which would counter reports that he would inevitably face suspension from the league.

As a reminder, the NFL does not even need a conviction to suspend a player, so long as the established facts of the case support a violation of the conduct policy—a category of offense that gives the commissioner full authority over punishment (and therefore would be subject to minimal pushback from the NFLPA or Peterson). Many of these plea deals reduce the charge to base assault, and would remove any mention of a child.
    Whether or not the NFL would consider missed games as “time served”—a common term used when discussing Peterson’s NFL case—remains to be seen, but fining games he already missed could cause some issues with the way the CBA has been designed and with privileges Peterson may have already had access to.
    More news as the story progresses.

"Peterson and his legal team were informed the plea deal is acceptable to the NFL "

Sounds like the NFL is the Judge and jury.
    He will be convicted of a misdemeanor and get punished as a felon by the NFL. When have you heard of anyone else in the NFL getting anything like 10 or 12 game suspension for a misdemeanor?
    Prosecutors always pile on the charges so they have more leverage in the plea bargaining process. I'm sure this will remain very polarized as to much or nowhere near enough. It is easy to predict that the NFL's punishment will be excessive ( my opinion of excessive) in this case to avoid condemnation from the media.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtdan View Post
    "Peterson and his legal team were informed the plea deal is acceptable to the NFL "

Sounds like the NFL is the Judge and jury.
    He will be convicted of a misdemeanor and get punished as a felon by the NFL. When have you heard of anyone else in the NFL getting anything like 10 or 12 game suspension for a misdemeanor?
    Prosecutors always pile on the charges so they have more leverage in the plea bargaining process. I'm sure this will remain very polarized as to much or nowhere near enough. It is easy to predict that the NFL's punishment will be excessive ( my opinion of excessive) in this case to avoid condemnation from the media.
    i hope not. They already put him on the commissioners list as a way to avoid a PR nightmare. I can't see how they suspend him further. So minny either needs to cut him or let him play. the NFLPA will argue in his favor so I don't see how he doesn't return. too bad the trade deadline has passed. I could see a trade to NE.

Who cares.

7. Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Who cares.
    The blind people who still think he was going to help the Vikings win the Super Bowl

8. Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsVikings View Post
    The blind people who still think he was going to help the Vikings win the Super Bowl
    What about the blind people that think he makes our team better and therefore a better chance to win the SB. This is not a statement about what AD did and what type of punishment he should get, this is strictly an opinion of what he brings as a football player.

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsVikings View Post
    Ah, so the same people who think 3rd 'rebuilding phase' of the Wilf era is the charm? Gotcha...

10. Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Ah, so the same people who think 3rd 'rebuilding phase' of the Wilf era is the charm? Gotcha...
    They would be the same people who think the Wilfs are good owners, and don't think Zygi is Groucho Marx in disguise

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast