Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. New Vikings Stadium web cam

Nice!

When the federal government issues fines for knowingly allowing the killing of migratory species of birds, the stadium will be laughed at all around the United States.

I have a glass enclosed four-seasons porch, and birds hit it very often. We put up window treatments and holiday hangings to keep it to a minimum, but they hit it anyway.

The local Honda/Harley store has south facing glass. On a sunny day, the birds do not see it, and they will strike it hard and often at the right time of day.

The new Vikings stadium will be a bird killer if they do not change the glass. I wonder if some money from the non-game wildlife fund could be used to help offset the increased cost of that glass. It would save a lot of birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Nice!

When the federal government issues fines for knowingly allowing the killing of migratory species of birds, the stadium will be laughed at all around the United States.

I have a glass enclosed four-seasons porch, and birds hit it very often. We put up window treatments and holiday hangings to keep it to a minimum, but they hit it anyway.

The local Honda/Harley store has south facing glass. On a sunny day, the birds do not see it, and they will strike it hard and often at the right time of day.

The new Vikings stadium will be a bird killer if they do not change the glass. I wonder if some money from the non-game wildlife fund could be used to help offset the increased cost of that glass. It would save a lot of birds.
    Wow.... really! You're worried about some birds hitting the glass and dying? So you are for the special
    glass that costs 30 million to save a few sparrows? This country has gone insane.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Wow.... really! You're worried about some birds hitting the glass and dying? So you are for the special
    glass that costs 30 million to save a few sparrows? This country has gone insane.
    If people leaving a Vikings game are walking over a bunch of dead birds, I gotta feeling this won't go over well. If it's just a few birds here and there, then it's just evolution in action.

I'm guessing it's not the $30M or whatever in additional cost that is being rejected, but more like the effects on the appearance they are trying to create.

5. Joe Soucheray: Vikings stadium glass controversy is for the birds

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/...ngs-stadium-is

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsVikings View Post
    Joe Soucheray: Vikings stadium glass controversy is for the birds

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/...ngs-stadium-is
    Joe Soucheray's logic is out the window in that article. His premise is, "Oh, only a few birds hit my house, so it can't be that bad."

When my inlaws went to the Honda/Harley shop this summer, no less than ten birds hit the glass in under an hour. They asked about it, and the salesman said it happens every day at that time of day.

This is a problem. Many new glass buildings use fritted glass because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Wow.... really! You're worried about some birds hitting the glass and dying? So you are for the special glass that costs 30 million to save a few sparrows? This country has gone insane.
    I should have known you would chime in with grossly exaggerated numbers. It costs about $1.1 million more for fritted glass.

If the Audubon Society and wildlife groups believe this will be a problem with migratory birds, which are protected by federal law, then they should push for some of that lottery money or non-game wildlife money from the tax checkoff to pay for it.

New studies indicate that one half of the world's animal population has been killed off since 1970, and you take this lightly. When all the other animals are gone, we will soon go with them. That is insane.

Collect the dead birds and save them for tailgating. Win Win

I did no home work but I don't think cloudy glass makes much difference in that it will also cause confusing reflections at different times of day.

I do know we do not need any more bad press and I do support responsible measures to limit bird deaths.(no $20m research team to come in with a predetermined agenda.)
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

9. Screw the birds, we have more important things to worry about like Ebola

10. There are glass high rises all over the twin cities, do they have the special glass ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast