Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    ok, one more post from me on this.. i've lived in several cultures, been lucky enough to really get a view of what different cultures view as acceptable and what is not. it is one of the the things that has shaped my moral ground you might say. now before i get tossed under the buss, i did grow up in MN, have watched the North stars / Vikings and twinkies all my life. pay much more attention to the Wild and Vikes now that i'm older, even living abroad, and in different locations in the USA.

lets all agree that we each have our own viewpoint, we each see the trueth in our own eyes. the facts of AD's case will be layed out when he has his day in court. whichever is the decision of that court though will not be able to undue a lot of the misconception that the media has instilled into this situation.

media forms, ie TV, Web, Social media work on gaining audiences, clicks, reads, shares, bla bla.. does the media have an agenda? i for one do believe they do. why? not a discussion needed here.

there are still places where it's considered ok to discipline your wife, children based on if you believe they did something wrong in the local culture. there are some places that do not believe in this. does that make one right over the other? again it's not a discussion at least for me that can be done here as people will always be adhere to their local culture, their upbringing, and in some cases abide by their local laws. because one is different then the other is what makes the human race such an amazing thing.

the larger issue now with AD stems from a large generational gap where in the social acceptance of what is and what is not considered correct ways to discipline your children. did AD take it to far, for me sure, was it wrong for him to do what he did? i don't know i wasn't there, i didn't see it, and i don't know what caused it.
    does that mean i consider him a child abuser? no. I have known a couple in my life, and i'm sad to say i saw the results. do i think less of the vikings for having him on the team? no, do i think less of them for their back flopping around the issue? well, it is a business, they must run it as a business. this is untested ground and time will tell. more important to me right now is.. how will the team move forward. game plans, fixing the penalties,
    and getting the best team on the field.

anything else about this issue is mute, as it's opinion and has no business being involved in the legal system, and can cause more harm then good.

one thing i've always like as a saying. "People in glass houses should not throw stones."

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I think we've about flogged this thread to death...eh?
    There's that Canadian in you coming out!

3. One of my biggest wishes in life is that people would learn how to debate. Then do it more and more often.

4. Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Also, for those that still believe that morals are being used to base any decision on this case, I strongly disagree. It's all about money, it always was and it always will be. The NFL is a business just like every other one with the primary purpose of selling product and generating revenue.
    Exactly, and that's the crux of it. The NFL couldn't care less about morals and ethics, it's all about what affects the bottom line...as with any business. It's only when these issues are exposed that they are forced to do something about them. Otherwise, it would be business as usual. Does anyone believe that these are new occurrences...that there was no spousal abuse over the past few decades? There are so many factors that come into play today, but when it comes to the bottom line, owners will do what's in their best fiscal interests.

Qui tacet, consentit.

5. Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Eh... I don't mind disagreeing with someone who thinks Hernandez should be playing football if he was out on bail. That's just, well... lowbrow to say the least.

Anywhoo, I'm fine being on the rational/sane side of the argument.

Also, you should fix the grammar in your sig. Pretty sure mine looks smarter.
    Typical lib, as soon as they are upset they use derogatory statements. Libs always want to micro manage other people's lives, you must have loved Stalin!!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

6. Quote Originally Posted by VikingMike View Post
    Exactly, and that's the crux of it. The NFL couldn't care less about morals and ethics, it's all about what affects the bottom line...as with any business. It's only when these issues are exposed that they are forced to do something about them. Otherwise, it would be business as usual. Does anyone believe that these are new occurrences...that there was no spousal abuse over the past few decades? There are so many factors that come into play today, but when it comes to the bottom line, owners will do what's in their best fiscal interests.
    There is no doubt whatsoever that the NFL continues status quo without the video tape of Ray Rice. That 2nd video might have changed the NFL landscape more in a matter of a couple days that the past several CBA's ever have.

NFL, as well as other sports leagues to follow very soon, will now have to operate with a new social impact aspect to their operations. They are going to expend endless energy upon this why?

Because the sponsors, press and public are forcing them to.. nothing more.

They are turning over the drug policy discipline to a independent party. They have hired 4 women to help shape the policies moving forward in terms of domestic policies and discipline. By the time this is done, if Goodell is still the commish, he will be practically neutered in terms of player conduct and discipline. The Vikings were out front (regardless of how they got there) in terms of sitting a player; this past Sunday they deserve credit for. This probably becomes the foundation of players that are arrested for violence.

This is true change in a organization that is not known for rapid change prior to the past 10 days. Their bumbling through this, as painful as it is now, probably will be a landmark in becoming proactive on conduct of their employees.

And as put.. make no mistake.. this was not some morality clock going off.. this is a reaction to pressure. Nothing more.
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

7. OK, per Webby's not so subtle hint, this will be my last post in this thread. I've said pretty much what I needed to, anyway, until and unless things change again.

I do want to say thank you to all who responded to my rant, both positively and negatively. You have given me a lot to think about. It never got personal, which I appreciate immensely.

Eventually, the furor will die down and this incident will be firmly put behind us. Until... but see my new thread, A Hornet's Nest.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

8. Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I'm fine with disagreeing with your opinion.

-Liberal
    I agree.

- Conservative (but only because that's the only other choice and I like guns and money and stuff but if there was a third party that thinks the whole human race is fucked I'd join that and christen it the Rustin Cohle party)

9. I think the public opinion is fickle. You can be a star but as soon as you are human we are going to try and drag you down to being average like the rest of us.

The fact is that if that was you or I, we would have some confidentiality to in a child abuse incident with out own child. It may be public knowledge but who wants to seek that information out about Joe Blow. I do not endorse child abuse or neglect but I don't think that a star should be drug down to less than average expectations. If that happened to you or I we would have a case worker that would lay down rules and expectations for conduct and if we didn't comply, we would lose our kids. If it was really bad from the start, that worker would take your kid out of the home and you would have to comply with rules and expectations to get the right to see your kids. My question is, did AP get his kids taken out of his home?

10. Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Typical lib, as soon as they are upset they use derogatory statements. Libs always want to micro manage other people's lives, you must have loved Stalin!!!
    Funny how you say libs want to mirco manage peoples lives, yet republicans are the ones that want to control womens bodies, tell people who to marry, dont want poor people to be helped by the govt but give hand-outs to the ultrawealthy, tell people what to put in their bodies... etc. etc. i could go on and on....

Point being, if people took their head out of their ass and actually looked at the big picture realizing there is always more to the story, we could have a productive debate without prejudging. Which is what the public has largely done with AP.

Has anyone ever thought about the fact that most blacks discipline their kids by spanking. (i agree AP went to far). And that could be a cultural learned behavior stemming back from slavery where slaves were whipped as discipline? I'm not saying it's right, but you must understand the reasons behind actions, culturally or socially, not prejudge, and have a informed conversation. We all have biases but stepping out of your preconceived opinions and having informed debate changes minds.

Yes, it's 2014 and spanking your child is not completely socially acceptable anymore, atleast to that extent. But lets have the conversation and debate about why its not acceptable and not prejudge AP by calling him a child abuser. He wasn't even charged with child abuse. he was charged with injuring a child and neglect. There is a difference. but some of us are so wrapped up in arms to see the difference. Media only hypes it further.... yes, to get ratings!

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast