Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    This is not looking good for us. At all. He will likely be cut before Sunday.

Say hello to Asiata and McKinnon.

Still going to win on Sunday.
    We're bringing purple back.

2. I have to say I am disappointed, but only in the degree of punishment that was used. A switch, in this day and age, is not acceptable. In that respect, I have to agree that some sort of punishment for Peterson is required.

I expect, though, that his punishment will be at least as overblown as what he gave the child. Coming as this does in the wake of the Ray Rice incident and the increasing penalties for domestic violence mandated by the league, they have no choice but to come down hard on him. Public sentiment will be strong in the backlash.

However, it is not for us, as Vikings fans, to judge Adrian's degree of guilt or innocence, nor the extent of his punishment. We can only accept it and move on. At least the coaching staff has a couple of days to game plan without him.

Although it will most likely hurt the team, for whatever time period, we are not without other weapons. It comes at the worst possible time, coming into this stretch, but we will just have to manage as best we can.

as for the child discipline issue, my own personal feeling is that parents need to learn better ways to discipline their children without resorting to such drastic measures. It's just too easy to lose control when you use external devices like switches. Furthermore, you should never issue the punishment in anger. Wait until you have calmed down, and excesses won't happen.

On the other hand, I also believe that kids are being too pampered at times, since responsibility for disciplining them has been taken out of the hands of, for example, schoolteachers and administrators. It's all on the parents now, and they're handcuffed as well. I'm not a fan of violence, but most children do need some sort of physical discipline at times.

Enough on that, though. My beliefs have no impact on what will happen to Peterson. I'm just going to look past this and focus on what the Vikings need to do from this point forward.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

When i first heard this story i was going to give AD the benefit of the doubt. After seeing the pictures and reading of the information as it trickled out, and AD admitting to doing this, it disgusts me. I am all for disciplining a child as needed, but this takes it beyond discipline. I believe he has played his last game as a Viking.

Quote Originally Posted by Suick View Post
    Dog fighting, spousal abuse, child beating....oh my!

Can anyone say Barclay's Premier League?
    I'd rather say NHL Hockey. GO WILD!!!

As for AP, I believe a suspension is in order, but I don't believe he will be released.
    I love the Vikings.
    If I'm not at the game, I'm watching it while
    watching my youngest son play hockey.
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!

5. I see a man, who more than any other public figure I know of should value the physical well being of children above all else. When he was a child, he witnessed his brother die in the street after being hit by a car. Just a short while ago his infant son died as a result of brutal child abuse. I'm truly saddened by today's news. Adrian Peterson should know better. Everyone should know better.

I think that ignorance begets ignorance. Adrian Peterson has earned a lot of money, fame and respect in his time as a football player. However, none of that can change the fact that he never learned parenting strategies other than physical discipline, or at least the potential consequences of violence(even if well-intentioned) against a child. He is a product of an ignorant culture. Just search his name, or the words "whoop" or "switch" on Twitter right now and you'll see countless examples of people who were raised by these means defending them. It's a lack of education, a lack of exposure to new ideas that hold cultures back. Most of the problems that plague our society could be cured through education. The contrast between the educated and the ignorant on this topic is stark.

Most of the media reporting on this incident are white, college educated, intelligent people; many of them come from families of privilege. Some of them were surely hit by their parents or other relatives as a form of discipline. But they, at some point in their schooling or personal pursuits of knowledge have been exposed to evidence disproving the usefulness of physical violence against children as a means of discipline. To them, this is a shocking affair. To those who are defending it, whose parents may have whipped them with switches, belts, wooden spoons, etc., this is not a big deal. Their consensus seems to be that he went a little overboard because the boy was only four years old. They use anecdotes like "my mom/dad/grandma whipped me and I turned out fine." But those examples are just that, anecdotal, they don't expose the whole picture. These people say things like "parents in my neighborhood would whoop other people's kids and everyone appreciated it." They credit this physical form of discipline for keeping them out of jail. But why are prisoners the first ones they compare themselves to? I bet they personally know a far greater number of people behind bars than the members of the press covering this story. Were those neighbors who wound up incarcerated spared from the rod? I seriously doubt it.

It is an established fact, scholastically published time and time again, that the use of physical violence against a child is not an effective means of discipline. Does it get the point across quickly? Sure. And Pavlov's dog's mouth watered when the bell rang. Peterson's aforementioned wealth and fame aren't enough to simply put those facts into his head. Adrian Peterson was raised within this culture of ignorance. His education was centered around his football career. There is no time in his life, until now, where he may have been exposed to the right and wrong ways to discipline. The Palestine, Texas school system failed him, the University of Oklahoma failed him, the Minnesota Vikings have failed him. His agent, his manager, his publicist, the mothers of his children have all failed him. Some of those individuals may have been failed in the same ways as he was.

He was raised by the ignorant, he literally didn't know any better. Did his child know better than to do whatever earned him a "whoopin?" No, but he was punished anyway. Adrian should be too.

I just hope the league and the team handles it the right way. I think Peterson should be suspended. Two to four games sounds fair. I think that the justice system should fine him, put him on probation and forbid him from being alone with his son until he completes an education on how to discipline a child through non-physical means.

Ray Rice was fairly treated by the NFL, the first time. They reviewed the evidence at hand, suspended him in a similar way to those who faced similar charges before him. Then the video was released and public pressure got to their heads. The Ravens did the right thing by cutting Rice. It's never fair to compare tragedies, but punching a woman unconscious is a violation of a clearly defined social norm. Whipping a child with a switch is different. A doctor in Minnesota called it abuse. Would a doctor in Texas have said the same thing?

I am a well educated, white male from the Northeast. I was occasionally hit as a child. I sincerely believe what Peterson did was wrong, but I believe I understand why he did it. I selfishly hope that the Vikings do not part ways with this player. This is a problem he can overcome.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 09-12-2014 at 11:13 PM.

what a moron

I seriously hate this PC world we live in...kids do something wrong, they should be punished. Did AD go over the line? I really don't know, and who are we to say? But when you're in the public eye, you are constantly in the crosshairs. And now on the heels of Goodell's mishandling of the Rice issue, AD is going to made an example. Grand Jury indictment? BS. It sucks that a parent can't discipline his/her child without facing criminal charges.

Qui tacet, consentit.

8. If my wall of text wasn't enough, here's one more thing:

What I really don't like about this situation, beyond the obvious, is that he testified in front of a grand jury on September 4th. They chose not to pursue the charges at that time. They had the same photographs that are circling today.

So what changed in the week that past to make this case legally worth pursuing? Public opinion of the NFL and its players isn't something the United States legal system or the State of Texas should concern themselves with.

9. Quote Originally Posted by VikingMike View Post
    I seriously hate this PC world we live in...kids do something wrong, they should be punished. Did AD go over the line? I really don't know, and who are we to say? But when you're in the public eye, you are constantly in the crosshairs. And now on the heels of Goodell's mishandling of the Rice issue, AD is going to made an example. Grand Jury indictment? BS. It sucks that a parent can't discipline his/her child without facing criminal charges.
    I hear ya, but, this, is troubling...disturbing.
    http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/9/...drian-peterson

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    I hear ya, but, this, is troubling...disturbing.
    http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/9/...drian-peterson
    Yes disturbing

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast