Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. As mentioned in the GameDay Chat and in another thread here, there were a lot of early mistakes and stupid penalties, but it seems that, unlike in recent years, the new look Vikings are able to surmount those obstacles. Some still thought the offense was conservative and predictable again, but it was never really necessary to dig deep into the playbook, as the defense kept the game well in hand. I thought that Norv Turner was doing this early on in order to feel the Rams out, since there was not much to judge their game on without Bradford.

From what I have seen and heard so far regarding our upcoming opponents, a lot of those games look to be defensive battles. But you know what, for the first time in years, that may be a Good Thing. With our much more aggressive D, especially on the line, we may be able to harass Brady enough to slow the Pats down. If the Dolphins could put him on the turf ten times today, we should be able to get similar penetration and pressure on him.

A big win, coupled with losses by the Packers, Bears, Saints, Patriots, Cowboys... it's a good day to be a Vikings fan. About the only thing that would have made it better in my book is if the Colts had managed to complete their comeback at Denver.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Blog Entries
    An interesting game indeed and one to take a lot of positives from. For once we saw a Vikes team take what they were given instead of constantly running AP into the '8 in a box D' as has happened so much. We saw some nice calls with Patterson and with Cassell picking out his receivers. Credit to Norv for his calls and to the players for buying into what he wanted to do.
    Defence was great and I can't believe some of the pass rush we were getting when we sometimes used 4 men - way more than we saw last year with 6 men or more. The biggest thing that I saw and liked was the hustling towards the ball carrier, one tackler but at least two others backing up - great to see.
    All in all a good start, yes we know the Rams weren't at their strongest and picked up more during the game, but the Vikes made sure they took that game. In the past we've seen opposition backups ( especially QBs ) come out and shred us - not today. The team played at their level and didn't drop the the opposition's.
    Next few weeks will give us a better idea of how well the team is doing but on the attitude and playing so far we're already much improved over last year.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

It's all about the DEFENSE! I loved the fact that the Zimmer's defense attacks and doesn't sit back.

Seriously ... what a great performance.

We looked like a good team. Good teams go on the road and rattle a team with a backup quarterback. Good teams keep the peddle to the metal when they have a big lead. Good teams grind the clock with that lead. Good teams play with confidence and sense when the other team is ready to be knocked out.

We did all that yesterday. Does it mean we are Super Bowl bound? No. Does it mean we are a team that can be infinitely better than many prognosticators predicted ... certainly.

We will know a bunch after a desperate Patriots team comes to town next week. I don't like our chances, but I also do not think another W is impossible.

There is plenty to be hopeful for after that wonderful performance yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Seriously ... what a great performance.

We looked like a good team. Good teams go on the road and rattle a team with a backup quarterback. Good teams keep the peddle to the metal when they have a big lead. Good teams grind the clock with that lead. Good teams play with confidence and sense when the other team is ready to be knocked out.

We did all that yesterday. Does it mean we are Super Bowl bound? No. Does it mean we are a team that can be infinitely better than many prognosticators predicted ... certainly.

We will know a bunch after a desperate Patriots team comes to town next week. I don't like our chances, but I also do not think another W is impossible.

There is plenty to be hopeful for after that wonderful performance yesterday.
    I asked
    my old Platoon SGT what he thought about next weeks game. I remember he was pretty spot on when
    predicting games....Here's what he said:

" Y'all good Jereamiah Pemberton you have the best running back in the league and the Pats have no run defense!!! The dolphins just ran the ball down there throat! And other than Revis there defensive secondary is garbage and Revis doesn't even play the best receiver because he doesn't switch sides so y'all will be alright.....as long as you get the ball past big wilfork on the D line your good!!!"
    Tuco the world.....

Quote Originally Posted by Suick View Post
    Are we that good or are the Rams that bad? Guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

I'm a little concerned about AP's pedestrian performance. He still won't take the 5 yd hole but opts to cut back looking for the 50 yd hole. Plus........... He had a lot of contact behind the line today which hurt. O-line run blocking was subpar
    Rams front seven is one of the best in football. I'm happy with the performance he had, as he was clearly the main focus of the defense and cleared out a lot of space for the short passing game.

All in all, there's not really much to complain about. This was a great win!
    I'm bloviating douchebag and Ricky is a great GM

7. Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Rams front seven is one of the best in football. I'm happy with the performance he had, as he was clearly the main focus of the defense and cleared out a lot of space for the short passing game.

All in all, there's not really much to complain about. This was a great win!
    34 points and AP was quite, have to be excited what this offense can do when he gets rolling!!!

8. Our secondary looks confident. I'm not sure if I've ever said that before...

Patterson's run was absolute nonsense. We're pretty spoiled as far as spectacular touchdown runs go but that one's gonna be on a lot of highlight reels in the future.

So far Griffins been living up to expectations and the rest of the D-line seems to be as well. It looks like Zimmer's D might help our tackles as much all the Geno Atkins hype suggested.

Our QB played well and our special teams played awesome. It's pretty hard not to be optimistic, so as Vikings fans we should all be very scared.

I'm so glad the cover 2 zone is gone as our primary defense. That alone made a huge difference.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm so glad the cover 2 zone is gone as our primary defense. That alone made a huge difference.
    Me too, I hated that "prevent defense".

Qui tacet, consentit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast