Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    9,086
    Blog Entries
    6

    Chargers v Vikings Preseason Game Thread

    Offense is nothing special for few series...

    who's nervous?!
    lol

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, North Dakota, United States
    Posts
    17,620
    Blog Entries
    1
    EDIT: First half thoughts and stats...

    Ponder made some decent throws, but it is glaringly clear that we need Simpson in there to spread out the defense. The WRs were very underwhelming.

    Ponder made some good reads, put the ball deep a couple of times. But he also made a couple of bad decisions - the INT was horrible, and he took at least one sack that he didn't need to. 8/15 is not acceptable. Ponder does NOT get a passing grade this game.

    Interesting stat - Ponder was 6/9 on first and second downs - pretty close to his stated goal. Unfortunately he was 2/6 on third downs, and that killed up. He also took three sacks on first or second down.

    I also noticed that out of the 8 third downs we had, 6 of them were long - 9 yards or more. That is exactly the situation we DO NOT want to be in.

    The OL was playing well. Kalil got owned once, but other than that he and the rest of the line looked good and Ponder had all day.
    Last edited by NodakPaul; 08-24-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    SKOL

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, North Dakota, United States
    Posts
    17,620
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am LOVING Walsh's leg on Kickoffs. Every one is in the endzone. That first FG miss was his fault though, he pulled it left.
    SKOL

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, North Dakota, United States
    Posts
    17,620
    Blog Entries
    1
    HORRIBLE CALL.

    There is no way that was pass interference on Jones.
    SKOL

  5. Four fumbles and an interception. That's not how you win games. The only thing worse is Paul Allen and Pete Bersich.
    None

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I am LOVING Walsh's leg on Kickoffs. Every one is in the endzone. That first FG miss was his fault though, he pulled it left.
    Definitely think this kid was a solid move.

    He has a big leg ... and his accuracy has been fairly good so far. I think we are going to be happy with him.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    EDIT: First half thoughts and stats...

    Ponder made some decent throws, but it is glaringly clear that we need Simpson in there to spread out the defense. The WRs were very underwhelming.

    Ponder made some good reads, put the ball deep a couple of times. But he also made a couple of bad decisions - the INT was horrible, and he took at least one sack that he didn't need to. 8/15 is not acceptable. Ponder does NOT get a passing grade this game.

    Interesting stat - Ponder was 6/9 on first and second downs - pretty close to his stated goal. Unfortunately he was 2/6 on third downs, and that killed up. He also took three sacks on first or second down.

    I also noticed that out of the 8 third downs we had, 6 of them were long - 9 yards or more. That is exactly the situation we DO NOT want to be in.

    The OL was playing well. Kalil got owned once, but other than that he and the rest of the line looked good and Ponder had all day.

    Also ... to be fair ... his numbers change greatly if not for a weird drop by Percy.

    On the INT ... I don't know what happened, but it looked more like a miscommunication between he and the receiver than a bad throw. Looks like he thought his guy would be there. Could be 100 percent his fault, but I will take that over just making a bad throw any day.

    All in all I was pretty happy. He took too many sacks, but also showed poise for someone who was getting hit quite a bit.

    Percy has to be Super Man while Simpson is out. But things will change greatly with Peterson on the field ... at least until he looks half speed (if he does).

    I think we will have a puncher's chance in most games.

  8. Better get used to it. Up and down is what we will see from a rebuilding team. Training camp was up and down, just like the pre-season.
    This team is bad enough to only win 3 games again, but I think they will have times when they look very good when not expected to.
    I think they win 5 this year and next year may have a chance to contend once again.
    One other observation. So far it seems that Ponder can't right the ship when it starts listing.
    A franchise QB finds a way to turn it arounds after a few bad series. Ponder is still learning.
    Last edited by jargomcfargo; 08-24-2012 at 10:55 PM.

  9. We are going to be bad this year

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,936
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Better get used to it. Up and down is what we will see from a rebuilding team. Training camp was up and down, just like the pre-season.
    This team is bad enough to only win 3 games again, but I think they will have times when they look very good when not expected to.
    I think they win 5 this year and next year may have a chance to contend once again.
    One other observation. So far it seems that Ponder can't right the ship when it starts listing.
    A franchise QB finds a way to turn it arounds after a few bad series. Ponder is still learning.
    This team is a couple of Ponder turnovers and a few key Blair missed field goals and that 5 win season turns to 3 wins, roll into that Simpson missing the early games and Peterson recovery that 5 wins looks even harder and even going 1-5 in their own division could be tough. The team could grow to be more of a contender next year but I'm thinking there will be some heads rolling and that could upset any continuity the team develops this year. If Frazier is one of the heads I hope there is a serious upgrade in his replacement but worry it will be a Spielman appointment leading to another few years of sub 500 season before there is a serious rebuild.

    Hoping I'm wrong

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •