PDA

View Full Version : Kluwe to emphasize hang time

Dekay
09-25-2009, 05:53 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/61316062.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU

"To cut down on long punt returns surrendered, the Vikings are asking Chris Kluwe to emphasize hang time over distance."

Nooo shit sherlocks! has it taken you 1.5 years to figure that out?

Marrdro
09-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Some yutz on here has been saying that "Hang Time" over "Distance" would solve our ST's woes.

Of course there are some on here who will contend we are better cause one LB is back........(6 whole tackles).
;)

http://www.nfl.com/players/heathfarwell/profile?id=FAR798216

V4L
09-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Marr I don't think u are the only one who knows Kluwe needs some work

And multiply 3 a game times 16 games

Very respectable ST's numbers

NordicNed
09-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Kluwe, for the most part, has always given us some solid play.
Sure he's had a bad game here and there, but he does fine more than he messes up. If I compair him to the rest of the punters in the NFL, he's probably just a little above the middle of the lot of them......Not Great, but not Bad either, just solid and gets his job done well most the time.

Marrdro
09-25-2009, 11:54 AM
"V4L" wrote:

I think the new ST's staff (Promoted Coord and 2 coaches brought in) will be key to our success this year.
I was originally pretty skeptical but during pre-season, I started to warm up to the new staff.

On a side note, anyone else see that we are using alot of starters in certain situations again? Kindof interesting.

V4L
09-25-2009, 11:57 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I think the new ST's staff (Promoted Coord and 2 coaches brought in) will be key to our success this year.
I was originally pretty skeptical but during pre-season, I started to warm up to the new staff.

On a side note, anyone else see that we are using alot of starters in certain situations again? Kindof interesting.

We always have

Marrdro
09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
"V4L" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

We always have

Sure we have, but I don't recall them using them this early in the season.

BloodyHorns82
09-25-2009, 12:00 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Some yutz on here has been saying that "Hang Time" over "Distance" would solve our ST's woes.

Of course there are some on here who will contend we are better cause one LB is back........(6 whole tackles).

;)

http://www.nfl.com/players/heathfarwell/profile?id=FAR798216

And you think that is bad
???
What does the average scrub playing only STs average per game?

V4L
09-25-2009, 12:08 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

We always have

yes we have.. I remember last year Ced n Winny first few weeks

Farwell has 6 tackles in 2 games.. He is on pace for about 50 ST's tackles.. That is simply amazing

Has double what our next ST'er has.. And if he isn't getting the tackle i've seen him chew up 2 blockers and still be near the ball

He even has more then some of our starters who play many snaps a game

So he is single handily improving our special teams.. Like some of us said he would

Marrdro
09-25-2009, 12:14 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

We always have

yes we have.. I remember last year Ced n Winny first few weeks

Farwell has 6 tackles in 2 games.. He is on pace for about 50 ST's tackles.. That is simply amazing

Has double what our next ST'er has.. And if he isn't getting the tackle i've seen him chew up 2 blockers and still be near the ball

He even has more then some of our starters who play many snaps a game

So he is single handily improving our special teams.. Like some of us said he would

LOL, I need to go do some research.....6 tackles is squaduche in ST's play.
;)

carta4eva
09-25-2009, 12:18 PM
no kidding, as frustrating as it was to see yet another special teams breakdown against Joshua Cribbs in the Browns game, that ball only stayed in the air like 2 seconds... when will this Guitar Hero fool figure it out
???

jargomcfargo
09-25-2009, 12:19 PM
"Dekay" wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/61316062.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU

"To cut down on long punt returns surrendered, the Vikings are asking Chris Kluwe to emphasize hang time over distance."

Nooo pooh sherlocks! has it taken you 1.5 years to figure that out?

+1

Marrdro
09-25-2009, 12:33 PM
"carta4eva" wrote:

no kidding, as frustrating as it was to see yet another special teams breakdown against Joshua Cribbs in the Browns game, that ball only stayed in the air like 2 seconds... when will this Guitar Hero fool figure it out
???

At the risk of getting flame sprayed again,
You have to look at the situation.

Minnesota Vikings at 2:23 MIN CLE
1st and 10 at MIN 15 (2:23) B.Favre pass incomplete short right to P.Harvin.
2nd and 10 at MIN 15 (2:19) B.Favre sacked at MIN 9 for -6 yards (B.Pool).
Two-Minute Warning
3rd and 16 at MIN 9 (2:00) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass short right to C.Taylor to MIN 19 for 10 yards (B.Pool) [K.Wimbley].
Timeout #1 by CLV at 01:46.
4th and 6 at MIN 19 (1:46) C.Kluwe punts 48 yards to CLV 33, Center-C.Loeffler. J.Cribbs for 67 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 10 3

Any kicker will tell you he wants at least 15 yards between him and the opposition.
My guess and my point when we discussed this in another thread, is that the coaching staff had him kick it for distance as quick as he could.....

carta4eva
09-25-2009, 12:37 PM
that maybe so, Marr, but the poor special teams play, particularly in the punt coverage units can be attributed to Kluwe 'outkicking' the gunners on a regular basis since the beginning of last season... here's to hoping no more cheap points surrendered on the all important 3rd unit of the team...

Marrdro
09-25-2009, 12:40 PM
"carta4eva" wrote:

that maybe so, Marr, but the poor special teams play, particularly in the punt coverage units can be attributed to Kluwe 'outkicking' the gunners on a regular basis since the beginning of last season... here's to hoping no more cheap points surrendered on the all important 3rd unit of the team...

I agree but that hasn't been the case this year.
Trust me, I have been watching like a hawk so I can poke a few of my PPO friends.

In almost every instance they guys are there before, or at the same time the ball gets there.
Again, I attribute that to a change in the mindset of our new coaching staff.

IMHO the best move by this staff this year was when they let the ST's Coord go be a LB coach.
;)

carta4eva
09-25-2009, 12:43 PM
100% agree on Brian Murphy>>>>>>>>>> Paul Ferraro

Prophet
09-25-2009, 03:18 PM
"carta4eva" wrote:

100% agree on Brian Murphy>>>>>>>>>> Paul Ferraro

Ferraro should have been canned midseason last year....hopefully coinciding with his birthday.

tastywaves
09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
"You have to figure that every tenth of a second [in hang time] is probably another five yards or so that guys are getting down the field," Kluwe said.

Hmmm...if Usain Bolt, the world's fastest human being can cover 100 meters in 9.58 sec, how far would he get in .1 sec?
My math says it would be just over 1 m.

Farwell is fast, but I don't think he's that fast.
I'll give him 1 yard per .1 sec to make it easy on everyone.

Better recalculate your required hangtime Chris.