PDA

View Full Version : If Twins playoff date conflicts with Vikings-Packers, game to be played in GB?

singersp
09-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Baseball playoff date conflicts with Vikings-Packers (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/59804447.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DU2EkP7K_V_GD7EaPc:iLP8iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU)

Will the Metrodome roof be covering up a football game or playoff game on Oct. 5?

By JOE CHRISTENSEN and JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune staff writers

Last update: September 19, 2009 - 8:56 AM

....But if the Twins need a tiebreaker and secure home-field advantage for that game, they would take precedence at the Metrodome that night, forcing the Vikings and Packers to make other plans...

vikinggreg
09-19-2009, 01:26 PM
In fact, an NFL source with knowledge of the lease said there is no chance the Vikings game gets moved. That's because the NFL team's lease states it has priority over the Twins for any game other than a World Series game, a fact that conflicts with MLB's belief that the Twins would have priority in the Dome that night.

A positive in the Vikes lease ???

NordicNed
09-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Dam,
I was enjoying watching the Twins make this late season rally, but now I may have to wish for a different outcome than I was wishing for
>:(

But this tid bit may be the saving grace:

In fact, an NFL source with knowledge of the lease said there is no chance the Vikings game gets moved. That's because the NFL team's lease states it has priority over the Twins for any game other than a World Series game.

This could get interesting and messy.

But thanks for the read and interesting situation that is apon us Twins and Vikings Fans.....But as for the Twins, it really doesn't matter, or for anyone else for that matter.
Dodgers are going to win it all anyways.. ;D

Again, thanks for the heads up find Singer..

NN

PS: No matter what, I'm still invading your house come the 30th.....LOL

oaklandzoo24
09-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Play it at the Gophers new stadium

idahovikefan7
09-19-2009, 01:35 PM
ya this would be horrible

Think i have to root against the twins at this point

idahovikefan7
09-19-2009, 01:39 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

Dam,
I was enjoying watching the Twins make this late season rally, but now I may have to wish for a different outcome than I was wishing for

>:(

But this tid bit may be the saving grace:

In fact, an NFL source with knowledge of the lease said there is no chance the Vikings game gets moved. That's because the NFL team's lease states it has priority over the Twins for any game other than a World Series game.

This could get interesting and messy.

But thanks for the read and interesting situation that is apon us Twins and Vikings Fans.....But as for the Twins, it really doesn't matter, or for anyone else for that matter.
Dodgers are going to win it all anyways.. ;D

Again, thanks for the heads up find Singer..

NN

PS: No matter what, I'm still invading your house come the 30th.....LOL

I really hope that is correct. This has me going now since we are making our way all the way from Boise Idaho for that game and this could make some plan changes.....

Purple Floyd
09-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Playoffs??? The Sound Byte (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk#)

No way in hell the twins are in the playoffs this year

NordicNed
09-19-2009, 02:03 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

LMFBO,
Nice one UffDa.....hehehehe ;D

Vikes
09-19-2009, 02:04 PM
IMO Vikes play at the new Gophers stadium problem solved.

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-19-2009, 02:04 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

No way in hell? I suggest you take a look at the standings and the twins schedule the rest of the season.
They finish with only teams in the division, including a big series IN detroit.

snowinapril
09-19-2009, 02:07 PM
They can still make it.
I would say no if they didn't play Det 6 more games before the end of the season.

Making it out of the first round..... that is where they would have
a tough time.

This is more than likely a non issue all the way around.

How can the NFL move a Monday night game?
There is so much advertisement that has already committed to that date and that forum.

Purple Floyd
09-19-2009, 02:09 PM
"STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

No way in hell? I suggest you take a look at the standings and the twins schedule the rest of the season.

I did look. Then I looked at every other mini streak they went on this season and factored in the loss of Mournie and came to the conclusion. Your opinion may differ and that is fine.

BTW

I have been a member of the KISS army for 33 years ;) ;D

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-19-2009, 02:13 PM
"Vikes" wrote:

Problem: 64k capacity vs. 50k.
Problem: No alcohol sales at TCF, they'd have to bring in beer carts.
Problem: Getting refunds for the 15k that won't get in to see it.
Problem: Not enough parking for the amount of cars.
Problem: No light rail service to TCF, for the non vehicle drivers.

Solution: Make the twins game early around noon. Push the vikings game back an hour to 8 ct.

singersp
09-19-2009, 02:36 PM

"Vikes" wrote:

Solution: Make the twins game early around noon. Push the vikings game back an hour to 8 ct.

How many fans would simply "hang out" in the dome bathroom stalls & await the Vikings game so they wouldn't have to buy a ticket & sit in one of the open seats?
:P

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-19-2009, 02:38 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I did look. Then I looked at every other mini streak they went on this season and factored in the loss of Mournie and came to the conclusion. Your opinion may differ and that is fine.

BTW

While morneau is a good player, he's not exactly pujols or manny. Have you seen what he's done the last week or so. No? me either, because it wasn't much. Mauer is more important then morneau at the point. IF they don't make the playoffs, it's not because morneau was out for the season.

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-19-2009, 02:38 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Vikes" wrote:

How many fans would simply "hang out" in the dome bathroom stalls & await the Vikings game so they wouldn't have to buy a ticket & sit in one of the open seats?

happy camper
09-19-2009, 02:42 PM
That would be messed up to move the Vikings game. People have already bought tickets and out of towners have booked hotels/flights. Many people made the decision to buy tickets to the game based on the date, many people who bought tickets might not be able to go if it is moved. Nobody has bought tickets for the Twins game that may or may not happen- move that.

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-19-2009, 02:45 PM

"singersp" wrote:

"Vikes" wrote:

No one. Both games would likely be sold out. Up until this season, gophers/twins would have doubleheaders in the dome frequently in the fall.

Purple Floyd
09-19-2009, 02:48 PM

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

BTW

While morneau is a good player, he's not exactly pujols or manny. Have you seen what he's done the last week or so. No? me either, because it wasn't much. Mauer is more important then morneau at the point. IF they don't make the playoffs, it's not because morneau was out for the season.

You are right. He was only the AL MVP for 2006 and was an all star the past few seasons. On a roster as deep with talent as the Twins they will never know he was gone.

So you think he hasn't done much in the past week? That wouldn't have anything to do with the stress fracture in his back would it?

NordicNed
09-19-2009, 02:56 PM
"happy" wrote:

That would be messed up to move the Vikings game. People have already bought tickets and out of towners have booked hotels/flights. Many people made the decision to buy tickets to the game based on the date, many people who bought tickets might not be able to go if it is moved. Nobody has bought tickets for the Twins game that may or may not happen- move that.

In todays world, that is way to easy and makes way to much sense happy camper.
;D

Someone, somehow, will find a way to screw it up for thousands, if it comes down to actaully happening....
::)

For me, I hope not.
I have train and plane tickets in order, and a nice comfortable couch waiting for me at Singers....LOL

;D

Not to mention, I'm bringing the best Kielbasa and best blood sausage made in the world with me, for the PPO Grills to cook up.
My chili won the hearts of many in Baltimore, but now comes the Meat !
hahahahaha

Overlord
09-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Sounds like the MLB representative is confused about procedure for this sort of thing and the lease.
The Vikes will not be switching the game site or day.

The Twins have played on the same day as a football game before.
I know in 2007 the Twins and Gophers both played on 9/1/07 and 9/22/07.
The Twins started each game at 11:10 AM, and the Gophers started at 8 PM and 7 PM.

Monday night NFL games usually start at 7:30 PM.

So I don't see the switch from Baseball to Football being a big deal if they just follow the simple plan suggested above and have the Twins play early.
I imagine it kind of sucks for MLB to move a prime time TV game to noon.

Probably a little early to worry about it anyway.
Chances are slim that it happens and they won't know until the day before anyway.

walleye
09-19-2009, 05:34 PM
it would only make sense for mlb to move it to noon because if the vikes and twins are playing at the same time people will watch the vikings game. the ratings would be terrible for the baseball game

vikinggreg
09-19-2009, 11:01 PM
A schedule swap for Minnesota and Green Bay? (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/3477/a-schedule-swap-for-minnesota-and-green-bay)
September 19, 2009 1:55 PM

Posted by ESPN.com’s Kevin Seifert

The last time this possibility arose, the government entity that owns the Metrodome paid the Vikings a six-figure fee to shift a 2006 Sunday game to the following Monday night if the Twins needed the building that day.

This time the Monday night game is a bigger deal for the Vikings.....a stadium deal would make it more appealling for the Vikings to adjust their schedule ;)

Purple Floyd
09-19-2009, 11:04 PM
"vikinggreg" wrote:

A schedule swap for Minnesota and Green Bay? (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/3477/a-schedule-swap-for-minnesota-and-green-bay)
September 19, 2009 1:55 PM

Posted by ESPN.com’s Kevin Seifert

The last time this possibility arose, the government entity that owns the Metrodome paid the Vikings a six-figure fee to shift a 2006 Sunday game to the following Monday night if the Twins needed the building that day.

This time the Monday night game is a bigger deal for the Vikings.....a stadium deal would make it more appealling for the Vikings to adjust their schedule ;)

Now that would be an impressive negotiation.

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-19-2009, 11:52 PM
"walleye" wrote:

it would only make sense for mlb to move it to noon because if the vikes and twins are playing at the same time people will watch the vikings game. the ratings would be terrible for the baseball game

Think about this:
The vikings game is simply one game of 16. Besides that, it's the 3rd of the season, and has a LOT less signifigance then the twins game would.

The twins game means a whole lot more. Not only would it be a 'bonus' game at the dome, but a chance to hang on to the 'metrodome magic' for minimum of 3 more games.

It would be kind of a bummer if there were a lot of games after the last one, being that's touted as the farewell to the dome game, and the first sell out in a while. Obviously, having more games there and those being playoff games, is not a bad thing and 20+ teams wish they had the same problem.

Formo
09-20-2009, 01:54 AM

"Vikes" wrote:

Problem: 64k capacity vs. 50k. Yes.
Very much a problem.

Problem: No alcohol sales at TCF, they'd have to bring in beer carts. They built TCF to have booze/beer..
just the university decided against having ALL concessions to have alcohol sales.
This isn't much of an issue.

Problem: Getting refunds for the 15k that won't get in to see it. Kind of the same deal with the first problem.

Problem: Not enough parking for the amount of cars. Uhh.
There are already alot of parking/shuttles for Gopher games, and while the Vikings WOULD have more people driving, this isn't anywhere near the issue it may seem to be.
Besides..
I promise there's more parking available at/near TCF than the Dome.

Problem: No light rail service to TCF, for the non vehicle drivers. That is a bit of an issue.
But, there ARE buses that go to campus.

The obvious solution, no doubt.
If TCF had the same capacity as the Dome, I'd see that as a better option.
I don't understand how this is even an issue.

V4L
09-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Just push the Twins game earlier in the day

N get get the field ready for night

Seems kinda obvious

Zeus
09-20-2009, 11:32 PM
"Vikes" wrote:

Which 15,000 people don't get to go then?

=Z=

Zeus
09-20-2009, 11:38 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Baseball playoff date conflicts with Vikings-Packers (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/59804447.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DU2EkP7K_V_GD7EaPc:iLP8iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU)

Will the Metrodome roof be covering up a football game or playoff game on Oct. 5?

By JOE CHRISTENSEN and JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune staff writers

Last update: September 19, 2009 - 8:56 AM

....But if the Twins need a tiebreaker and secure home-field advantage for that game, they would take precedence at the Metrodome that night, forcing the Vikings and Packers to make other plans...

Wrong!

That means plenty of plans already have been made, including by ESPN, which will air the game, and thus moving the Monday night matchup would be extremely difficult. In fact, an NFL source with knowledge of the lease said there is no chance the Vikings game gets moved. That's because the NFL team's lease states it has priority over the Twins for any game other than a World Series game, a fact that conflicts with MLB's belief that the Twins would have priority in the Dome that night.

=Z=

i_bleed_purple
09-21-2009, 12:14 AM

sounds like any regular game at the dome.

i_bleed_purple
09-21-2009, 12:16 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Vikes" wrote:

=Z=

there are still tickets available no?

Elam529
09-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Play them at the same time in the Dome

DeathtoDenny
09-21-2009, 12:44 AM
At work (the dome), people are upset with the unnamed party that claimed Monday night on the 5th was available, even though it will be a nightmare at the dome. I don't think the Twins will pull it off though.

singersp
09-21-2009, 06:02 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"Vikes" wrote:

=Z=

there are still tickets available no?

There will be tickets available. They just aren't released yet.

The Vikings sold approximately 3,000 season tickets and 10,000 single-game tickets in the 24 hours after they signed quarterback Brett Favre last week. According to the club, that left the Vikings with about 7,000 season tickets still available.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/30/vikings-still-have-unsold-tickets/

Garland Greene
09-21-2009, 03:47 PM
No Vikings switch despite Twins' play (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4491480)

MINNEAPOLIS -- The NFL said Monday it will not swap sites for this season's Packers-Vikings games in case the baseball playoffs get in the way at the Metrodome.

Green Bay plays at Minnesota on Monday night, Oct. 5, pitting Brett Favre against his old team in front of a national TV audience.

Meanwhile, the Minnesota Twins trail Detroit by three games in the American League Central with 13 games left to play. If the two teams finish tied for first place, the Twins will host a tiebreaker game if they beat the Tigers in the overall season series. Minnesota leads 9-5, with four games remaining in Detroit next week.

The Twins and White Sox needed a 163rd game to decide the division last year, a game that was played in Chicago. Major League Baseball typically schedules tiebreaker games for the Monday right after the regular season because playoff series begin that week.

NFL spokesman Dan Masonson said the Packers-Vikings game next month will not be moved, however. Green Bay later hosts Minnesota on Nov. 1.

"There is no swap under consideration," Masonson said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "We are closely monitoring the situation."

Purple Floyd
09-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Play the baseball game Tuesday afternoon.

Zeus
09-22-2009, 08:05 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Play the baseball game Tuesday afternoon.

Win the fucking division outright, Twinkies, so this doesn't become an issue.

=Z=