PDA

View Full Version : Kevon's Brown’s Roster breakdown - Offense

kevoncox
09-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Official Brown’s Roster breakdown:
This roster break down was done by me to shed some light on the true teams we face each week. As Vikings fans, we all know the misconceptions that are spread by the media about lessor known players when all one has to go on is stats. For example, most Media hacks will consider our WR corps to be below average because we don't have a 1000 yard WR. I visited several Browns boards and tried to talk about the lessor known players that they love. (their versions of a Reynaud) I hope you guys enjoy this and please let me know if this is something you would like to read every week. Enjoy but please remember that I am not a talented writer. Never have been, never will be. Please excuse my grammatical errors.

Quarterbacks: C+
Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Brett Ratiff
It appears that Brady Quinn has won the 2009 starting job. He is a QB loaded with potential but lacks impressive deep ball accuracy and power.
At this point in his career he is an average QB but looks to be a break out player of the year caliber. What gives this group it’s C+ rating is the rare depth at QB. Should Quinn get knocked out the game, Anderson is a capable Qb that can step in and lead his team to a victory.

Key Stat: Both Qbs threw almost exactly as many INTs as TDs(9 INTs to 8 TD for Anderson) They will give it away as much as they score.

Running Backs: C
Jamal Lewis, Jerome Harrison,
James Davis, Cedric Peerman
Jamal Lewis is a former 2000 yard back that has lost much of his former glory. I feel that he tip toes in the hole way too much for a big back.
Behind him is a kid that I love.
Jerome Harrison , is a home run threat.
He doesn’t get many touches but that may change this season. The guy is talented but doesn’t break many tackles. He won’t carry the load if Lewis was to go down but he is a solid change of pace back. His YPC average in limited action was solid. James Davis is a 6th round pick but players like a 1st stringer.
He will be the starting running back on this team eventually.
Key Stat: 3rd down back J. Harrison averaged 7.2 yards per carry

FB, TE: C+
Lawrence Vickers, Robert Royal, Steve Heiden
Vickers is a recent Pro Bowler and is a solid blocker. Royal is the Bills former 1st string TE. He appears to be a decent blocker and target in the passing game but he is not a game breaker. Nothing much to worry about here but he can beat us for a score if he aren’t careful. Not much depth after him.
Key Stat:
None

WR: B
Braylon Edwards, Mike Furrey, Joshua Cribbs, Brian Robiskie, Mohamed Massaquoi
A talented crew but one with some serious issues. Can Edwards catch the ball? Can Cribbs be more than a reverse and screen man, why is Mike Furrey still a starter. If Mangina can bring the best out of these guys they are dangerous. Both Rookie WRs are very polished route runners.
Key Stat: Edwards 3 TDs in 2008. Down from 16 in 2007. Which Edwards is going to show up.

OL: A
Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Alex Mack, Floyd Womack, John St. Clair
This OL has been a work in progress that has turned into a work of art. They are the best OL in the league. I am really high on these guys and they can give our pass rush fits.
Key Stat. the Browns gave up 24 sacks last season. Great considering they had a WR with a case of the Hawaiian dropsees and bad Hammies.

Offensive Head to Head
QB: Vikes
HB: Vikes
FB: Browns
WR: Vikes
TE: Vikes
OL: Browns

ThorSPL
09-09-2009, 11:36 PM
I always appreciate your lack of purple goggles.

Good break down, though I'm not sold on their line like you are.
I also don't know much about them so I'm NOT saying you're wrong.

kevoncox
09-09-2009, 11:39 PM
"ThorSPL" wrote:

They play very well together. I think when you give up 24 sacks with the likes of
Quinn and Anderson, you play pretty well.

kevoncox
09-09-2009, 11:41 PM
"ThorSPL" wrote:

As for the purple glasses, I actually run around proclaiming us as Champs this season. I guess I'm just more realistic with other Vikes fans

Marrdro
09-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Nice break down Kev.
Some thoughts.......

What happened with Lewis.
I thought the Browns were gonna release him.........
Kindof makes me wonder how effective he really is gonna be this year.

Rogers also gives me some concern.
Will he be the difference up the middle?
Will the staff (Vikings) pound it in the middle or will they try to get outside more?

Are our ST's fixed or will Cribbs eat us alive?

kevoncox
09-10-2009, 08:32 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Nice break down Kev.
Some thoughts.......

What happened with Lewis.
I thought the Browns were gonna release him.........
Kindof makes me wonder how effective he really is gonna be this year.

Rogers also gives me some concern.
Will he be the difference up the middle?
Will the staff (Vikings) pound it in the middle or will they try to get outside more?

Are our ST's fixed or will Cribbs eat us alive?

I haven't done the defense yet. Browns fans aren't very forthcoming with info.

oaklandzoo24
09-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Idk about the o-line, I think that is a toss up.
I mean Joe Thomas is good and Alex Mack has potential but the rest of the oline is nothing special.
I think our left side is probably the best in the NFL.
I do have questions about the right but i think Herrera can hold his own and Loadholt is so physically gifted that he will atleast force the rush to the outside.
If Sully and Loadholt perform well then we may have one of the best in the league.
As of now though, I would say they are pretty even.

kevoncox
09-10-2009, 08:53 AM
"oaklandzoo24" wrote:

Idk about the o-line, I think that is a toss up.
I mean Joe Thomas is good and Alex Mack has potential but the rest of the oline is nothing special.
I think our left side is probably the best in the NFL.
I do have questions about the right but i think Herrera can hold his own and Loadholt is so physically gifted that he will atleast force the rush to the outside.
If Sully and Loadholt perform well then we may have one of the best in the league.
As of now though, I would say they are pretty even.
I think their Left side is as
good as ours. If not better. Mack is a highly rated center. Sully wasn't.
More they that, they play as a unit very well.

ThorSPL
09-10-2009, 09:44 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"ThorSPL" wrote:

They play very well together. I think when you give up 24 sacks with the likes of
Quinn and Anderson, you play pretty well.

Yeah, that does day a lot.... not sure how old they are, but if they returned their whole line and nobody's too old they should be getting better...

ThorSPL
09-10-2009, 09:45 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"ThorSPL" wrote:

As for the purple glasses, I actually run around proclaiming us as Champs this season. I guess I'm just more realistic with other Vikes fans

Heh, I suppose so, now that I think about it.

gregair13
09-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Not a bad breakdown. Nice work buddddddddy.

I think the only thing we have to be concerned about Sunday is if Edwards suddenly learns how to catch and Cribbs. Braylon is a big play receiver and will make some plays, it will just come down to if he can make the big catch when his team needs him. Cribbs will probably score on a punt or kick off return. He has the talent to take the reins from Hester as the best return man in the league this year.

kevoncox
09-10-2009, 04:33 PM
"gregair13" wrote:

Not a bad breakdown. Nice work buddddddddy.

I think the only thing we have to be concerned about Sunday is if Edwards suddenly learns how to catch and Cribbs. Braylon is a big play receiver and will make some plays, it will just come down to if he can make the big catch when his team needs him. Cribbs will probably score on a punt or kick off return. He has the talent to take the reins from Hester as the best return man in the league this year.

I think teams are using Hester and cribbs foolishly. Both have had reductions in production since being used as WRs. Why not drat other WRS to fill the speeder role. Catching and running is different than fielding and running.

V-Unit
09-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I like the roster breakdown. I'd like to see defense.

My thoughts are that the cover 2 is going to get beat by the same stuff every time. Scat backs, TEs, and QBs that we can't apply pressure to. Unless an offense excels in these three areas, I really don't worry match-up wise. We may make Quinn look good on Sunday, but I don't think it will be enough.

I like this thread. There isn't enough talk about the upcoming game. Like I said I'm not worried, but I think we are underrating the Browns a bit and a bit too comfortable with some of our injuries. I don't see how anyone can expect our WR corps without Berrian or Wade to perform. Who the fuck is going to catch the ball for us on Sunday?

kevoncox
09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
"V" wrote:

My thoughts are that the cover 2 is going to get beat by the same stuff every time. Scat backs, TEs, and QBs that we can't apply pressure to. Unless an offense excels in these three areas, I really don't worry match-up wise. We may make Quinn look good on Sunday, but I don't think it will be enough.

I like this thread. There isn't enough talk about the upcoming game. Like I said I'm not worried, but I think we are underrating the Browns a bit and a bit too comfortable with some of our injuries. I don't see how anyone can expect our WR corps without Berrian or Wade to perform. Who the floop is going to catch the ball for us on Sunday?

I agree.
WTF is up with us not talking about the first game of the season. We rather continue arguing about TJ and Farve. Fucking retarded.

I am also weary about this Browns game. We should beat them but this is a team that beat the giants last season. They are a Jekyll and Hyde team.

Marrdro
09-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Nice read here, with a few that have already been mentioned....

3 Matchups To Watch On Sunday

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Matchups-To-Watch-On-Sunday/bf1fd9be-b9d3-4434-93b5-6f12cc02e014

Marrdro
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Grant's Tomb
Where we don't hate Brett Favre quite so much anymore

http://grants-tomb.blogspot.com/2009/09/two-minute-drill.html

tastywaves
09-11-2009, 01:46 PM
"V" wrote:

I like this thread. There isn't enough talk about the upcoming game. Like I said I'm not worried, but I think we are underrating the Browns a bit and a bit too comfortable with some of our injuries. I don't see how anyone can expect our WR corps without Berrian or Wade to perform. Who the floop is going to catch the ball for us on Sunday?

Is Berrian expecting to sit out this Sunday?
Only thing I could find was that he was in limited practices the last two days, but does not say whether he will play this Sunday.
http://www.vikings.com/team/injury-report.html

DiehardVikesFan
09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Matchups-To-Watch-On-Sunday/bf1fd9be-b9d3-4434-93b5-6f12cc02e014

Joe Thomas vs. Jared Allen is going to be fun to watch

kevoncox
09-11-2009, 02:44 PM
"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Not for us. They are going to be able to leave Joe on and island and double inside as needed. Ray edwards needs to have a huge game... :'(

Overlord
09-11-2009, 03:01 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Not for us. They are going to be able to leave Joe on and island and double inside as needed. Ray edwards needs to have a huge game... :'(

We'll see.

Sometimes it's just hard to tell and a lot of things can go into it.
I remember watching the Carolina game last year and no one on our D-line was doing anything.
Pro bowl left tackle Jordan Gross was completely shutting down Jared Allen.

The Winfield forced fumble must have really pumped up our guys, because in the second half it was like there was nothing that the Panthers could do to stop them.
Just constantly in the backfield.

Just have to see what kind of a day each guy has.