PDA

View Full Version : TSN prediction: Vikings start strong, fade

Purple Floyd
08-30-2009, 10:43 AM
http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=893010

The Sporting News predicts the Vikings will get off to one of the strongest starts in franchise history, then fade at the finish. A sidebar indicates they have the talent to get it done with 11 “all-division” players.

Caine
08-30-2009, 11:24 AM
The only teams on the schedule I worry about right now are Pittsburgh, New York, Carolina, and Baltimore.
And depending upon how well the Offense meshes, even they might not be issues.

New York gets downgraded due to their lack of receiving threats, and Carolina gets an asterisk because you never know which Carolina team will show up.
That leaves the Steelers and the Ravens, and I worry only about their Defenses.
If we can crack them, the sky is the limit.

I don't worry about Arizona because I still don't think they're for real.
And I don't sweat Green Bay because an impressive Pre-Season seldom translates to an impressive season.
I think they'll place 2nd in the Division, but more because Chicago will be bad and Detroit will be worse than because of their over-hyped 3-4 transition.

Chicago and Detroit I just covered above.
Seattle, they're fading.
St. Louis, San Fran, Cincinnatti, Cleveland...please.
There are so many issues on all of those teams.

IMHO, I believe that 11-5 is the WORST we will do (barring devestating injuries), and actually like us to go 13-3/14-2.

I also don't see us fading.
I am hoping that, for the first time in history, we will begin peaking as a TEAM in December, and I attribute our fast start to weaker opponents.

Caine

kevoncox
08-30-2009, 12:40 PM
"Caine" wrote:

The only teams on the schedule I worry about right now are Pittsburgh, New York, Carolina, and Baltimore.

New York gets downgraded due to their lack of receiving threats, and Carolina gets an asterisk because you never know which Carolina team will show up.

And I don't sweat Green Bay because an impressive Pre-Season seldom translates to an impressive season.
I think they'll place 2nd in the Division, but more because Chicago will be bad and Detroit will be worse than because of their over-hyped 3-4 transition.

Seattle, they're fading.

IMHO, I believe that 11-5 is the WORST we will do (barring devestating injuries), and actually like us to go 13-3/14-2.

I am hoping that, for the first time in history, we will begin peaking as a TEAM in December, and I attribute our fast start to weaker opponents.

Caine

You are giving us too much credit. Several of the team you discounted are in good position to give us a run for our money. I don't think the Bears and GB are easy sweeps like you think. That's four games that can swing either way. Then there are the games each season that we leave on the board. An example of this is the Colts game last season.

NDVikingFan66
08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
What is the big differerence from past years teams....Leadership

I think Favre brings a leadership to our offense, and a confidence, that keeps us going strong, and gives us W's in games that we left on the board last year.
Does anyone here believe for one second we lose against Indy with Favre at the helm?

I don't want to take away anything from anyone else, but we have really lacked QB leadership.
I also thing Favre pushes Chilly and Bevel to open things up a bit.

I see us pushing deep into the playoffs

Braddock
08-30-2009, 02:53 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

You are giving us too much credit. Several of the team you discounted are in good position to give us a run for our money. I don't think the Bears and GB are easy sweeps like you think. That's four games that can swing either way. Then there are the games each season that we leave on the board. An example of this is the Colts game last season.

I agree... Rodgers has looked great this preseason. I'm really concerned about GB.

jkjuggalo
08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
"Braddock" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

I agree... Rodgers has looked great this preseason. I'm really concerned about GB.

+3

You must have forgotten who our coach is.
Even with all the talent in the world it is hard to guarantee victories when your coach doesn't have the killer instinct.

Purple Floyd
08-30-2009, 03:21 PM
GB will be tough to beat this year. This may be their best team in many years.

gagarr
08-30-2009, 03:30 PM
IMO, the Ravens, @Steelers, @Packers series before the bye will be the defining games for the Vikes.
Winning would be great, but I don't think it's really as important as having a good showing.
There's a difference between being beat by a good opponent and losing because you played crappy.

The Indy game is a good example, Indy was a good team, but IMO the Vikes lost the game by not being able reach the EZ.

Whereas, the loss to the Titans, was only due to TO's.
The rest of the game was well played!
Especially, when you consider Titans, went on to go 10-0.

But that also shows you that getting off to a great of a start, can have ill affects too. A 8-0 start could lead to big heads or complacency, whereas, a well played 6-2/5-3 start would keep them confident and HUNGRY going into the bye.

Key will be to come out of the bye and win the next 3 against Lions, Seahawks, Bears at home.
Putting themselves in a good playoff position, but not so good as to begin to coast.

Webby
08-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Giants game is home, no?

gagarr
08-30-2009, 03:45 PM
"Webby" wrote:

Giants game is home, no?

Yes!
I just notice that!
My mistake!
Doh!
I'm editing it!

MaxVike
08-30-2009, 03:56 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

agreed.

NordicNed
08-30-2009, 04:50 PM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

"Braddock" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

+3

You must have forgotten who our coach is.
Even with all the talent in the world it is hard to guarantee victories when your coach doesn't have the killer instinct.

I believe we are all in for a nice big change, in the way we see Chilly run this offense this season.
I believe he has never had any great confidence in his past QB's, therefore he held back on opening the play book.
He did open the book somewhat with our 3rd game last year, when Gus relieved TJ of duty, and I for one noticed a nice difference in our O's play.

I believe with Brett at the helm, Chilly will be more at ease and open the book more than he ever has.
Maybe not so much in games 1 or 2, but by game 3 and the GB Monday nighter, I expect our O to show us all, just how good a coach Chilly really can be.

VKG4LFE
08-30-2009, 04:57 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

agreed.

They may look good in the pre season but that has been against two completely shit teams and the third against a team that is lacking (even though they made it to the super bowl last year). Rodgers has looked good, but let's remember people that has been against very bland defenses running no schemes or blitzing. Also, their new 3-4 defense, who knows how that will go for them this year. Same thing, they may have looked good at times, but, that is when nobody is throwing real offensive schemes at them. It is all bland offense. I'm not saying they won't be good, but I think we have a very talented team especially on the defensive side, and they've already proven that the only way they can stop AD is by injuring him, the other 3 games he's really had his way with the cheesedicks. We'll be ok, even with an old saggy balled quarterback at the helm.

Freya
08-30-2009, 08:07 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Yeah. And I don't think that is a coincidence. This could be Favre's "come around" for the "go around" he gave the Packers for several years.

You know, what goes around, comes around.
::)

marstc09
08-30-2009, 08:22 PM
"NDVikingFan66" wrote:

What is the big differerence from past years teams....Leadership

That is what is keeping me optimistic.

porplepop
08-30-2009, 08:51 PM
"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

LMAO that you don't think that the Cardinals are for real????? are you kidding, they went to Mother of All Battles and almost won over a 13+ point favorite?

You were just funnin' right?

KrackerJack
08-30-2009, 09:14 PM
"porplepop" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

LMAO that you don't think that the Cardinals are for real????? are you kidding, they went to Mother of All Battles and almost won over a 13+ point favorite?

Teams that go to the Super Bowl go to crap the next year quite often, actually.
Usually the losing team, too.
I don't think the Cards are great by any means, they're okay, I just think they got some real good momentum going during the playoffs.

Purple Floyd
08-30-2009, 09:20 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

"MaxVike" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

agreed.

They may look good in the pre season but that has been against two completely shit teams and the third against a team that is lacking (even though they made it to the super bowl last year). Rodgers has looked good, but let's remember people that has been against very bland defenses running no schemes or blitzing. Also, their new 3-4 defense, who knows how that will go for them this year. Same thing, they may have looked good at times, but, that is when nobody is throwing real offensive schemes at them. It is all bland offense. I'm not saying they won't be good, but I think we have a very talented team especially on the defensive side, and they've already proven that the only way they can stop AD is by injuring him, the other 3 games he's really had his way with the cheesedicks. We'll be ok, even with an old saggy balled quarterback at the helm.

Yes, That may be true. However, Cleveland did look pretty good this weekend on offense and you also have to consider that our offense has faced KC and Indy. KC is on the level of Cleveland and our offense didn't light them up near as much as what GB has.

In the end I still feel we have a deeper roster and should beat GB, But they will be no pushover and we will have to bring the "A" game to win.

IMissCris
08-30-2009, 11:16 PM
"Snowbowler" wrote:

"porplepop" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

Teams that go to the Super Bowl go to crap the next year quite often, actually.
Usually the losing team, too.
I don't think the Cards are great by any means, they're okay, I just think they got some real good momentum going during the playoffs.

+1.....mainly because, despite their run in the playoffs, when I think of the Cardinals, I think of us kicking the crap out of them like we did in Week 14 or 15 or whenever it was last year (in AZ, no less). 28-0 heading into the half, if i recall correctly?

gregair13
08-30-2009, 11:45 PM
The cardinals are frauds.

Caine
08-31-2009, 12:40 AM
"porplepop" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

Nope, dead serious.
As was stated by others above, the Superbowl losers often tank the next season.
Arizona peaked at the right time last season, and were able to ride that momentum - on top of a weak divison - to the Superbowl.
But as IMissCris pointed out, we cleaned their clocks last season.
It wasn't even close.

No, I don't think Arizona is for real.
I think they have a couple of awesome receivers, and a solid QB in Warner, but their "D" has gaping holes in it, and that will cost them this season.

As for everyone sweating Green Bay and Chicago...

The Bears have virtually no Offense.
Yeah, they have Cutler, but they have ZIP for receivers...so who's he going to throw to?
And their Defense has fallen off the past couple of seasons.
Another Superbowl loser that crumbled afterwards...

As for Green Bay...keep in mind a couple of things.

1:
It's preseason.
No one is showing anything special.
IN the "Vanilla Wars" they look good, I don;'t think they'll look so hot in a few weeks when it's for real.

2:
Rodgers:
No one had film on him last year.
He has some potent receivers, but now people know his reads, his trends, his tendencies.
I'm looking for a drop off this year - like Ryan Grant had last season.

3:
Their corners are old and fragile.
Whoopie can't cover elite receivers anymore, and Woodson is frickin bionic.

4:
They're now going to have to show more in a new defense than preseason dictates.
I look for a night and day difference from them in a few weeks...and not in a good way (from their point of view).

Caine

i_bleed_purple
08-31-2009, 12:53 AM
"Caine" wrote:

"porplepop" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

Nope, dead serious.
Arizona peaked at the right time last season, and were able to ride that momentum - on top of a weak divison - to the Superbowl.
It wasn't even close.

I think they have a couple of awesome receivers, and a solid QB in Warner, but their "D" has gaping holes in it, and that will cost them this season.

Yeah, they have Cutler, but they have ZIP for receivers...so who's he going to throw to?

1:
It's preseason.
IN the "Vanilla Wars" they look good, I don;'t think they'll look so hot in a few weeks when it's for real.

2:
Rodgers:
He has some potent receivers, but now people know his reads, his trends, his tendencies.

3:

4:
They're now going to have to show more in a new defense than preseason dictates.
I look for a night and day difference from them in a few weeks...and not in a good way (from their point of view).

Caine

one thing to remember, the Vikings have never won all the games they're supposed to.
Why will we start now?
Divisional games are always tough games, no matter who we play.
Hell, we almost lost to the lions twice last year.

Caine
09-01-2009, 10:56 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

"porplepop" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

Nope, dead serious.
It wasn't even close.

1:
It's preseason.

2:
Rodgers:

3:

4:

Caine

one thing to remember, the Vikings have never won all the games they're supposed to.
Why will we start now?
Divisional games are always tough games, no matter who we play.
Hell, we almost lost to the lions twice last year.

No one ever wins all the games they're supposed to...except the '72 Dolphins.
Will I get a few of these wrong?
Sure.
Prbably not the Packers though...I just don't think they'll match the pre-season hype.
And I still can't buy into the Bears, because they have no receivers.
Detroit scares me more because they will be playing with a chip on their shoulder all season long.

That said, I stated a bit further back that I figured we'd go 11-5 at worst, and between 13-3/14-2 at best.
I assume that we will drop a couple we shouldn't.

...Just not to Green Bay.
Favre will have that team so fired up, we won't see the flat starts we're used to from Chiller's teams.
I expect Green Bay to be absolutely rocked in week 4...and when they finally figure out what hit them, we'll be back for more in week 8.

Caine

Prophet
09-01-2009, 11:50 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=893010

The Sporting News predicts the Vikings will get off to one of the strongest starts in franchise history, then fade at the finish. A sidebar indicates they have the talent to get it done with 11 “all-division” players.

Like a Mike Tice 6-0 start and lose to the flailing Cardinals in the last game and not make the playoffs?
I seriously doubt it.
Of course there's speculation with a fogey at QB, but, the team is too deep to be taken lightly.
Of course, the chicken little's will be out in full force after every loss and hiding in their shells when things are going well.
That is to be expected.

gagarr
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"porplepop" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

Nope, dead serious.
It wasn't even close.

1:
It's preseason.

2:
Rodgers:

3:

4:

Caine

I agree on the Cards lucking into the SB.
They made the playoffs because their division was horrible and someone had to win it.

How the Cards made the SB:
WC Atlanta's D was weak, it was a score fest 24-30, and a 2 time MVP vs rookie QB.
Div
Delhomme FIVE INTs enough said
Conf
Arial battle.
McNabb and Curtis/Jackson vs
Warner and Fitz/Boldin
I'm picking the Cards

The big question with the Cards is Beanie Wells going to give them a running game by Dec?

Without the WR's and IMO Forte is going to slump the Bears O will struggle.
The Bears D is going to have to carry the load, but the Bears pass D was ranked #30 last year and the Vikes have a better pass game.
So the Bears are going to have problems.

As for GB:
Rodgers will put up huge #'s, but will continue his inability to close out games.
Grant put up 1200 yds but with 3.9 per carry and only 4TD's.
They are not balanced.
Their D hasn't faced a decent rushing attack in preseason and they beat AZ, but gave up 37 pts and Cards fumbled 7 times.
IMO they haven't gotten better from last year and the Vikes have.

porplepop
09-01-2009, 04:49 PM
No doubt the greenies have improved, only question for someone with a shred of football knowledge is:

When was the last time a team won the superbowl without a top 5 rated defense?

You can talk about qb and o line all you want, but if you look at greenbay they were ranked like 23 or 24th on defense.

We were like 13th or something like that...

So are we improving on defense?

Are we shoring up holes or just looking for a quick fucking fix with this dumbshit favre?

Freya
09-01-2009, 04:57 PM
"porplepop" wrote:

No doubt the greenies have improved, only question for someone with a shred of football knowledge is:

You can talk about qb and o line all you want, but if you look at greenbay they were ranked like 23 or 24th on defense.

Are we shoring up holes or just looking for a quick fricken fix with this dumbshit favre?

2006 Colts.

And This is a quick fix with Favre. It addresses all the pressing issues of the moment. How that plays out remains to be seen.

porplepop
09-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Ok wtf?

they were 8th in points against with 15.3 which is pretty damn good...

I know I know I asked right?

The point is you can't expect to build a winning organization without addressing the long term issues of the team

battleaxe4cheese
09-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I think the bears are going to be better than people think this year. They don't have any big name receivers yes, but they can catch a pass. There D is still solid, and I think it would be a mistake to overlook them. ;)

tastywaves
09-01-2009, 05:33 PM
"porplepop" wrote:

Ok wtf?

they were 8th in points against with 15.3 which is pretty gol 'darnit good...

I know I know I asked right?

The point is you can't expect to build a winning organization without addressing the long term issues of the team

The Giants defense was ranked 17th in 2007 (using pts allowed).
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2007.htm

The Colts were 23rd ranked defense at 22.5ppg. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2006.htm

It is true that team with #1 defenses have won their share of SB's.
However, #1 offensive teams have their share of SB victories as well.
I went through this exercise a while back to try and dispel this myth.
I'm too lazy to redo it and too retarded to search for it through this forum.
The results showed that there were almost as many top offenses making it to the SB as there were top defenses.
In the end the most telling stat was that SB teams had a fairly low combined ranking between offense and defense.
Not exactly a revelation, it is a team sport.

Saying that defense wins championships should be restated as "a great defense can win you a championship, but is not required.".

porplepop
09-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Sorry I looked at yahoo and the number was way off...

So your investigation led you to believe that a great defense can be ignored? Is not required?

I am not ready to jump on the favre bandwagon, sorry...let's get players who are committed to this team and some heavy hitters on d.

i.e.
players that have dominated in the post season--->rodney harrison, troy palu-whatever, woodson, lott, strahan,
and the list goes on...

tastywaves
09-01-2009, 06:22 PM
"porplepop" wrote:

Sorry I looked at yahoo and the number was way off...

So your investigation led you to believe that a great defense can be ignored? Is not required?

I am not ready to jump on the favre bandwagon, sorry...let's get players who are committed to this team and some heavy hitters on d.

i.e.
players that have dominated in the post season--->rodney harrison, troy palu-whatever, woodson, lott, strahan,
and the list goes on...

It always boils down to the fact that it is a team sport.
If you have a great offense, you can compensate for a less than stellar defense.
IF you have a great defense, you can compensate for a less than stellar offense.
Actually most studies I've read, shows that a #1 offense will have a slight edge over a #1 defense.
The last two SB's are a good case in point, they were both offensive battles that came down to who had the ball last.

I'm not saying having a great defense isn't a huge asset, just that it isn't the only way to win a championship.

porplepop
09-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Don't back up now...the research is well documented...

Do we need favre to win or a better defensive core?

tastywaves
09-01-2009, 06:28 PM
"porplepop" wrote:

Don't back up now...the research is well documented...

Do we need favre to win or a better defensive core?

Why not both?
Is this an either/or hypothetical?

porplepop
09-01-2009, 06:32 PM
tis not.

we went waaaaaaaay out to the middle of the ocean to fish for favre and do we have an all star cornerback?

a veteran cornerback?
a pro bowler on the d line?

I really don't know, do we?

tastywaves
09-01-2009, 06:35 PM
"porplepop" wrote:

tis not.

we went waaaaaaaay out to the middle of the ocean to fish for favre and do we have an all star cornerback?

a veteran cornerback?
a pro bowler on the d line?

I really don't know, do we?

Okay,
you've lost me.
We have a pro bowl CB and 3 pro bowl DL'men.

porplepop
09-01-2009, 06:44 PM
alright winfield is ok and quick, but had only 2 interceptions last year and is never mentioned among the great corners

but you are right, he did go to hawaii my apologies

who is going to push this defense this year and crack some skulls?

midgensa
09-01-2009, 06:53 PM
"Freya" wrote:

"porplepop" wrote:

Are we shoring up holes or just looking for a quick fricken fix with this dumbshit favre?

2006 Colts.

And This is a quick fix with Favre. It addresses all the pressing issues of the moment. How that plays out remains to be seen.

Actually that would be the 2007 Giants ... they were not even top 10, just like the Colts.

porplepop
09-01-2009, 06:59 PM
hey read the topic...

we are supposed to be finding a suitable prediction for the season

or did you not see ultra's locked thread?

Vikes
09-01-2009, 07:07 PM
"Caine" wrote:

Seattle, they're fading.

Caine

New York is the only team I'm worried about.
I think the Panthers with Delhomme are average.

porplepop
09-01-2009, 07:11 PM
so caine is way off on his 13-3 prediction?

more like 15-1

IALMAO!!!

tastywaves
09-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Prediction..why not.

11-5.
NFCN title and first round bye.
Hopefully hte 5 losses are scattered or early, I don't care who they are against.

petev_sj
09-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Super Bowl Baby! I know it's going to happen this year! Sure I tell myself that every year, but THIS IS THE YEAR...which I also tell myself every year.

No..no go away Mr. pessimist! I'm all about positivitude!