PDA

View Full Version : Farwell back to give Vikings a boost

singersp
08-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Special-teams ace Farwell back to give Minnesota Vikings a boost (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13009973?)

Special-teams ace ready after injury

By Sean Jensen
sjensen@pioneerpress.com

Updated: 08/06/2009 11:05:41 PM CDT

MANKATO, Minn. — Brian Murphy, the Minnesota Vikings' new special-teams coordinator, isn't making big changes to a unit that gave up an NFL-record seven touchdowns last season....

Marrdro
08-07-2009, 10:57 AM
........SNICKER..........

One backup LB isn't gonna save the world.
The only thing that is gonna help our ST's is gonna be better kicking and better coaching.
::)

i_bleed_purple
08-07-2009, 11:08 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

The only thing that is gonna help our ST's is gonna be better kicking and better coaching.

I just wish we had a kicker who could actually kickoff half decently, get hangtime and constantly get the ball near the goalline
</sarcasm>

Marrdro
08-07-2009, 11:19 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I just wish we had a kicker who could actually kickoff half decently, get hangtime and constantly get the ball near the goalline
</sarcasm>

He did kindof start to grow on me last year.
Start mind you.
I have much bigger issues with our Punter and his accuracy/placement of his punts.

NO SARCASIM.

Vikes_King
08-07-2009, 12:30 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

If that one backup LB can inspire a group and get them to rally around him, sometimes thats all it takes.
If you take the leader out of any unit, the unit as a whole greatly weakens.
Players respond to his presence.
Losing Farwell on Special Teams is just like losing E.J. Henderson on defense, whether you like that or not
:P

mountainviking
08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
But Kluwe does have a boot!!
Haven't we seen some 65 yarders?
Of course, as mentioned, not so hot on the shorter, accuracy-needed ones.
But, really, other than a couple of horrible games, he's been pretty good.
Personally, I'd like to see a bit more go-for-it type of fake punt etc when we're sitting midfield...too long for FG but too short for a big punt.

If you go back and look at our off season, I think nearly every single freakin move was made to bolster STs depth/competition and performance.
At least, they know they need to fix that phase of the game!

Harvin will get some returns.
Allen, Sanford and Brinkley could all be ST tackling machines with extra attention going to Farwell.
Holt, Paymeh, and Onatalu all have more ST experience than on D or O.

The Dropper
08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
"mountainviking" wrote:

But Kluwe does have a boot!!
Haven't we seen some 65 yarders?
Of course, as mentioned, not so hot on the shorter, accuracy-needed ones.
But, really, other than a couple of horrible games, he's been pretty good.
Personally, I'd like to see a bit more go-for-it type of fake punt etc when we're sitting midfield...too long for FG but too short for a big punt.

If you go back and look at our off season, I think nearly every single freakin move was made to bolster STs depth/competition and performance.
At least, they know they need to fix that phase of the game!

Harvin will get some returns.
Allen, Sanford and Brinkley could all be ST tackling machines with extra attention going to Farwell.
Holt, Paymeh, and Onatalu all have more ST experience than on D or O.

You know, I hadn't really thought about that, but you're right. And no area needed to be improved more. Christ, giving up seven touchdowns on special teams? Cut that out and you've already added a couple more wins.

V4L
08-07-2009, 12:54 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Lol u wait and see

This is the one huge thing i've been waitin for this season

We cut ur boy Circiu.. Gettin rid of some of the garbage!

i_bleed_purple
08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Lol u wait and see

addition by subtraction..

On a side note, v4l, can I expect to meet you in the drunk thread tonight?
I know i'll be there if I can get on a computer lol.

V4L
08-07-2009, 01:01 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Lol u wait and see

Lol im still recovering from my b-day.. Alcohol posioning is a shitty deal!

I'll try my best ha

i_bleed_purple
08-07-2009, 01:02 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Lol u wait and see

Lol im still recovering from my b-day.. Alcohol posioning is a shitty deal!

I'll try my best ha

hahaha... makes sense.
Don't rush it man.

V4L
08-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Lol im cravin a drink

We will see where it ends up

I felt ok when I woke up in the morning.. Then got hungover around noon yesterday and puked atleast 20 times.. That was after puking atleast 10 times the night before ha

i_bleed_purple
08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Lol im cravin a drink

I felt ok when I woke up in the morning.. Then got hungover around noon yesterday and puked atleast 20 times.. That was after puking atleast 10 times the night before ha

I bet your throat feels just lovely after all that.

V4L
08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Lol im cravin a drink

Lol yup

I forgot to mention the last time I puked last night I was puking up blood and it felt like I tore my throat.. I couldn't swallow.. It hurt so bad

Lil better today

i_bleed_purple
08-07-2009, 01:12 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Lol im cravin a drink

Lol yup

I forgot to mention the last time I puked last night I was puking up blood and it felt like I tore my throat.. I couldn't swallow.. It hurt so bad

Lil better today

mmm... dry heaving, my favourite.

V4L
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Lol im cravin a drink

Lol yup

Lil better today

mmm... dry heaving, my favourite.

Oh yah did tons of that

Was drinkin water and pukin simultainiously (sP) to try to not dry heave ha

marstc09
08-07-2009, 10:26 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

</sarcasm>

Start mind you.
I have much bigger issues with our Punter and his accuracy/placement of his punts.

NO SARCASIM.

LMFAO. Here we go again.

marstc09
08-07-2009, 10:27 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I bet he makes a big difference.

MetalMike-LoudVike
08-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I
believe the coverage units are better with him back making plays again. I see many people say exactly just that but hey whats one more??

Purple Floyd
08-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Hopefully he can make a few tackles and help out the punter and kicker because they sure didn't get any favors from the tacklers last year. That was absolutely pathetic. And for the coach to blame the lack of coverage on the punter was ridiculous.

Yfz01
08-08-2009, 12:19 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Not only him but I have a feeling Brinkley is going to be an absolute beast.
We have also added Paymah, a special teams beast and Asher Allen can fly and will hopefully be able to make some tackles.

Vikes_King
08-08-2009, 06:04 AM
"Yfz01" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Not only him but I have a feeling Brinkley is going to be an absolute beast.
We have also added Paymah, a special teams beast and Asher Allen can fly and will hopefully be able to make some tackles.

Ha, people keep bringing up Paymah.
I don't see him making the team unless he impresses on ST during preseason.

Marrdro
08-14-2009, 09:18 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

</sarcasm>

Start mind you.

NO SARCASIM.

LMFAO. Here we go again.

Fun isn't it.
;)

Marrdro
08-14-2009, 09:20 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

He's tearing it up tonight...... :o

Formo
08-15-2009, 12:18 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Eat that crow, you flounder!!

V4L
08-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Farwell MADE out special teams

Was kinda obvious

Marrdro
08-15-2009, 08:38 AM
"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

LOL, did you really watch who was making the tackles? Herron actually had a better game than Heath.
Doesn't matter though.
What changed was the punter.
Except for the gaff

4-7-IND 49
(8:24) 5-C.Kluwe punts 29 yards to IND 20, Center-46-C.Loeffler, fair catch by 34-T.Rushing.

I was impressed with his foot.

Anyone who knows anything knows he was the difference last night, not a backup LB.
;)

3-16-IND 12
(13:54) (Shotgun) 7-C.Painter pass short right to 47-G.Robinson to IND 20 for 8 yards (59-H.Farwell).

2-6-IND 31
(1:27) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-C.Painter pass short right to 85-P.Garcon to IND 36 for 5 yards (39-H.Abdullah, 59-H.Farwell).
1-10-MIN 43
(:37) (Shotgun) 7-C.Painter pass short left to 47-G.Robinson to MIN 37 for 6 yards (59-H.Farwell).

3-16-IND 12
(13:54) (Shotgun) 7-C.Painter pass short right to 47-G.Robinson to IND 20 for 8 yards (59-H.Farwell).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=54729&displayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2009&week=PRE1&override=true

Long story short, I still ain't as impressed with him as you guys are.
;)

Purple Floyd
08-15-2009, 09:26 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

LOL, did you really watch who was making the tackles? Herron actually had a better game than Heath.
Doesn't matter though.
Except for the gaff

4-7-IND 49
(8:24) 5-C.Kluwe punts 29 yards to IND 20, Center-46-C.Loeffler, fair catch by 34-T.Rushing.

Anyone who knows anything knows he was the difference last night, not a backup LB.
;)

3-16-IND 12

2-6-IND 31
(1:27) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-C.Painter pass short right to 85-P.Garcon to IND 36 for 5 yards (39-H.Abdullah, 59-H.Farwell).
1-10-MIN 43
(:37) (Shotgun) 7-C.Painter pass short left to 47-G.Robinson to MIN 37 for 6 yards (59-H.Farwell).

3-16-IND 12

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=54729&displayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2009&week=PRE1&override=true

;)

You are correct about his play at LB. He has a great value to the team and LB is not the biggest part of that value. What he gives us is depth on ST, Leadership on ST and the ability to make a tackle on ST. Those were lacking last year.
BTW- Did you notice how much Erin Henderson struggled at LB with the reserves?

Marrdro
08-15-2009, 10:43 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Doesn't matter though.
Except for the gaff

4-7-IND 49

;)

3-16-IND 12

2-6-IND 31
1-10-MIN 43

3-16-IND 12

;)

You are correct about his play at LB. He has a great value to the team and LB is not the biggest part of that value. What he gives us is depth on ST, Leadership on ST and the ability to make a tackle on ST. Those were lacking last year.

I missed Erin.
I will watch him closer the next time they re-air it.

Purple Floyd
08-15-2009, 10:51 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Doesn't matter though.
Except for the gaff

4-7-IND 49

;)

3-16-IND 12

2-6-IND 31
1-10-MIN 43

3-16-IND 12

;)

I missed Erin.
I will watch him closer the next time they re-air it.

Actually he got better after his first series, but that one wasn't too good. ;D

Vikes_King
08-15-2009, 06:21 PM
You can tell some of the players just respond to Heath being on the field, he brings a pride to the special teams squad that some lack.

nephilimstorm
08-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Its great to see him back!