PDA

View Full Version : Would the Contract-Year Players Be Worth Trading?

singersp
07-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Minnesota Vikings: Would the Contract-Year Players Be Worth Trading? (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/224728-minnesota-vikings-would-the-contract-year-players-be-worth-trading)

by Andy Rarick (Analyst)
bleacherreport.com
July 26, 2009

With players such as Chestor Taylor, Ray Edwards, and Tarvaris Jackson entering contract years, it's hard to believe that the Vikings will be able to keep any combination of them....

i_bleed_purple
07-27-2009, 08:18 AM
I would be a fan of keeping CT and TJ, Ray IMO is expendable.
in two seasons time, Udeze should be back, so might be back on the bench.
I'd rather get a real LDE in there anyway.

BleedinPandG
07-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Wow... who's this Yutz?

I've never seen anything said by Taylor indicating he wants to be the lead dog for a football team and frankly at his age, I don't see it happening.
He's been in the league for close to 8 years now?
With the number of snaps he gets and the amount he gets the ball on 3rd down here, I'm not sure he'll find a better gig.

Also, I've yet to read that TJ has asked to be traded if Favre signs... all I've read is someone at ESPN presuming he'd request a trade if the signing occured.
Of course we all know how reliable ESPN is in reporting.
Frankly, TJ hasn't shown enough to be gauranteed a starting gig anywhere else in the NFL.
He may compete for a starting role somewhere but he'd also compete for it here after Favre's 1 or 2 years.
I don't know that he'd believe he'd have a better shot at winning it anywhere else.

And Edwards?
I know Defensive Ends are a commodity, but he hasn't shown much of anything to demand much money in free agency.
He had a golden opportunity last year to increase his value playing next to the three probowl linemen he was, he failed to capitalize and honestly will be fighting to maintain his starting role this year.

I believe the Vikings could easily keep all 3 players if they wanted to.
They may cut Edwards loose simply due to too many players at that position.
I see them bringing Chester and TJ back.

Mark_The_Viking
07-27-2009, 08:47 AM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

Wow... who's this Yutz?

I've never seen anything said by Taylor indicating he wants to be the lead dog for a football team and frankly at his age, I don't see it happening.
With the number of snaps he gets and the amount he gets the ball on 3rd down here, I'm not sure he'll find a better gig.

Also, I've yet to read that TJ has asked to be traded if Favre signs... all I've read is someone at ESPN presuming he'd request a trade if the signing occured.
Frankly, TJ hasn't shown enough to be gauranteed a starting gig anywhere else in the NFL.
He may compete for a starting role somewhere but he'd also compete for it here after Favre's 1 or 2 years.
I don't know that he'd believe he'd have a better shot at winning it anywhere else.

And Edwards?
I know Defensive Ends are a commodity, but he hasn't shown much of anything to demand much money in free agency.
He had a golden opportunity last year to increase his value playing next to the three probowl linemen he was, he failed to capitalize and honestly will be fighting to maintain his starting role this year.

Totally agree although I think Chester will ask for the trade. I think he thinks he is a starting player in 20+ teams in the league and he will always be 2nd to AP.

Tjack knows even if lnad comes it's short term I can't see him signing for more than a year and he has a year to learn and compete. If in a year the FO go looking for another FA QB then the writings on the wall and he will go and they will let him.

V4L
07-27-2009, 11:57 AM
"Mark_The_Viking" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

Wow... who's this Yutz?

And Edwards?

Totally agree although I think Chester will ask for the trade. I think he thinks he is a starting player in 20+ teams in the league and he will always be 2nd to AP.

Tjack knows even if lnad comes it's short term I can't see him signing for more than a year and he has a year to learn and compete. If in a year the FO go looking for another FA QB then the writings on the wall and he will go and they will let him.

Omg did u just use LNAD haha

Tad7
07-27-2009, 12:15 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

Wow... who's this Yutz?

And Edwards?

Good post...

Taylor is a capable starter as we all know but it's another position where age catches up with you and he may not be guaranteed to get a majority of carries anywhere next year. Plus I think we'll pay him fairly.

Jackson is a tough call. I can see why they'd want to keep him...most can agree he may be a good starter and is a good back up and he's cheap right now. Trading him for a low pick only potentially benefits T-Jack himself and maybe another team but not the Vikings. I think I bought into Caine's no leverage thing.

I don't think we'll trade Ray but I bet we don't re-sign him either.

gagarr
07-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Vike are primed for a SB run (Favre or not), they would be foolish to consider getting rid of any players unless they could add a better player this year as a needed spot (thus no draft picks), i.e. CT and TJ for a significant upgrade a CB/Safety.
Not going to happen.

That said if Favre does sign, the Vikes will have too many QB's.
Thus, someone is going to have to go.
IMO it will depend on TC/preseason performance and their value.

CT, although older, hasn't a lot of mileage on him.
He could definitely contribute as a starter on other teams, thus he will wait till FA next year.

RE, I think the Vikes have other players that could fill in without a lot of decline, unless RE gets the sack record like he predicted last year.

midgensa
07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I always love the Chester man-love in these parts.
Don't get me wrong ... I love Chester Taylor and think he is a very valuable asset to our team, but the people who act like he would command solid return in a trade are delusional.
He is a running back and running backs of his caliber are pretty much a dime a dozen.
Everyone likes to name all the places he would "start," but in all honesty almost anywhere he goes the best he could hope for is to split time. He simply is not a top tier running back like Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner, LaDanian Tomlinson, etc. Plus he is 30 years old.
I think Chester would be an amazing fit somewhere like New England, but would still be splitting time with Maroney of course.
As for Edwards ... not much value there either.
I think we could probably get something like a third round pick for T-Jack ... but that is also being optimistic.
I think Chester is going to be very disappointed next season when he moves into free agency and looks for a starting gig as there simply will not be many out there.

i_bleed_purple
07-27-2009, 12:47 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

I always love the Chester man-love in these parts.
Don't get me wrong ... I love Chester Taylor and think he is a very valuable asset to our team, but the people who act like he would command solid return in a trade are delusional.
He is a running back and running backs of his caliber are pretty much a dime a dozen.
Everyone likes to name all the places he would "start," but in all honesty almost anywhere he goes the best he could hope for is to split time. He simply is not a top tier running back like Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner, LaDanian Tomlinson, etc. Plus he is 30 years old.
I think Chester would be an amazing fit somewhere like New England, but would still be splitting time with Maroney of course.
As for Edwards ... not much value there either.
I think we could probably get something like a third round pick for T-Jack ... but that is also being optimistic.
I think Chester is going to be very disappointed next season when he moves into free agency and looks for a starting gig as there simply will not be many out there.

I agree.. if we traded Chester, what would we get, a third at most?
RB is one of the easiest positions in the league to have some rookie come in and contribute right away.
I'd say he's worth more to us to keep, than anything we'd get in a trade.

V4L
07-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Chester will stay

Jackson Will say

Ray will stay

misplacedminnesotan
07-27-2009, 12:51 PM
I think Chester would rather stay here and live out his contract.
He knows his age, and how short his NFL life is, this is the best situation to stay in the NFL for a long time.

Trading T-Jack would probably only garner a 3rd round at best.
He has shown that he is a good backup, but not much more.

Ray Edwards has no trade value.
He'll stay here for the rest of the season, and be let go.
He'll end up being a backup somewhere else.

Overlord
07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
The author clearly has a baseball mindset.
I suppose it is that time of year.

For many reasons (salary cap, early trade deadline, common injuries) NFL teams don't really think in these terms.

Chester and Edwards will each give this team a lot of minutes this year.
Last year of their contracts or not, they are going to be contributors.

Tarvaris could be anywhere from cut to the team's week 1 starter.
But he has basically zero trade value and a lot of value as at least a backup for this team if Favre doesn't show.

You just don't trade those kind of guys in the NFL very often.

snowinapril
07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Poor Chester has never really had a chance with us to build himself to that level people would die to have him.
I does well.
He has skill.
Heck when we got him away from the Ravens, people were scared of not knowing what they were getting.
I wish he would have ended up on a team that he could have excelled on for a period of time.

The only way we get something good for him is if a team gets into depth issues during the season.

Edwards............. please!
The guy was suppose to have 15 sacks last year, so he said.
Edwards is worth a lot in his own mind, and even he would have a difficult time signing himself.
LOL!
I hope he can pick up that sack total, half of 15 would be nice.

Overlord
07-27-2009, 02:24 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Edwards is worth a lot in his own mind, and even he would have a difficult time signing himself.
LOL!

There's a lot of negative hype on this guy thanks to that comment.
But in reality, he's pretty good.
His 5 sacks last year were as good or better than all but 26 DEs in the league last year.
Plus he had 54 tackles, pretty decent for a DE.
Not everyone can be Reggie White, but the guy is a solid starting defensive end.
There would definitely be a market for Edwards.

But yeah, he might not get paid what he's looking for if he still thinks he's the best ever.

V4L
07-28-2009, 02:56 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

LOL!

His 5 sacks last year were as good or better than all but 26 DEs in the league last year.
Not everyone can be Reggie White, but the guy is a solid starting defensive end.

But yeah, he might not get paid what he's looking for if he still thinks he's the best ever.

+10000

Surprised Marr missed this

He is probably the one who doesn't put much stock into sack totals the most

jmcdon00
07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

LOL!

The guys next to him and behind him are pretty darn good, I'm guessing he doesn't get doubled much, and teams tend to run at him. I could be wrong though, time will tell.

delviking
07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
taylor is to important to the team for us to trade no matter what. if something happened (knock on wood) to AP we know where we still stand with taylor.

T.J.
i think is gonna win the starting job no matter what, its not that im a jackson fan he's irrated me to no end in the past. but either farve come and plays terrible or get really hurt. but jacksons got the edge. In half a season last year he played like he finally got it
plus if farve starts to play poorly than childress has to do something to win just like last year,
especially this year since its his contract year also, if im not mistakened.

edwards is not terrible but isnt that good Udeze was getting as many sacks and more tackles without the pressure of allen and if udeze is back to playing weight and form then more power to him.
in the three years played by both (excluding the year udeze got injured) the sack count is miniminally different but a twenty tackle differerce in favor of udeze shows he was able to get to the ball carrier faster.

Overlord
07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

LOL!

The guys next to him and behind him are pretty darn good, I'm guessing he doesn't get doubled much, and teams tend to run at him. I could be wrong though, time will tell.

I think you're right on the first couple parts there, and then probably a bit off on the 'teams tend to run at him' part.

Teams actually were less efficient running to his side against us last year than when running towards Allen, and they only tried it a handful more times over the entire season (link (http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl)).
Of course, it's a team game and I think Winfield usually plays the left (offense's right) side, so that's probably part of the reason that teams were so bad running outside that direction.
But it's tough to say that Edwards is any sort of liability in the run game.

The Vikes do have other talented players at that position: Udeze coming back, Robison is potentially a starting quality defensive end, etc.
And the other three starters are obviously pro-bowlers.
But that speaks more to the investment the team has made in high draft picks and quality players at the position than anything negative about Edwards.
He's not at the level of the other starters on this line, but he's a solid player when compared to starters across the league.