PDA

View Full Version : New deal for Antoine Winfield may be close!

purplepat
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Minnesota Vikings might be close to deal with Antoine Winfield
By Sean Jensen

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_12891446

Good news if true.
He is the cement that holds the D together, a consumate professional both on and off the field.

i_bleed_purple
07-22-2009, 04:08 PM
yay

jessejames09
07-22-2009, 04:10 PM
So much for the whole 'we can't sign Favre and Toine' theory...

i_bleed_purple
07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

that was always a huge reach.
I refuse to believe that after constantly keeping us in good cap shape, Brzyzinski would fuck up so bad as to give ALL of our remaining cap space to Favre and screw us over for the next few years.
Laughable actually.

gagarr
07-22-2009, 04:14 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

The Vikes have probably "dotted the i's and crossed the t's" on Favre's contract so they know where they stand, so they can close the Winfield contract.

Winfield's contract could be backloaded a couple years, so Favre's $$$ isn't hitting the cap then.
Just my guess.

marstc09
07-22-2009, 04:26 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

The haters will still never eat crow on it.

gagarr
07-22-2009, 04:31 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

The haters eat crow all the time, they just do it in the closet and never admit they did.

VikingMike
07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
This is good news.

http://vyous.com/sports/nfl/vikings/2009/07/22/vikings-cb-winfield-nearing-agreement-on-contract-extension

Terms are still being completed, but the final points aren't deemed deal-breakers, the source
said.

marstc09
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
"gagarr" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

The haters eat crow all the time, they just do it in the closet and never admit they did.

I can't wait to watch them spin through this one.

NodakPaul
07-22-2009, 05:17 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

I can't wait to watch them spin through this one.

Obviously Winfield took one for the team, and agreed to a lower or backended contract so that there would be more money for Fav-re... ;D

Tad7
07-22-2009, 05:28 PM
How many people were saying this was because Favre? 2?

I'm not all that excited about a 33...34...35...year old CB anyway. It will soon be regretted.

Freya
07-22-2009, 06:35 PM
'Bout freakin time.

Mr-holland
07-22-2009, 07:20 PM
just read it on nfl.com

good news, along with Pat my favorite current Viking

marstc09
07-22-2009, 07:44 PM
"Tad7" wrote:

I'm not all that excited about a 33...34...35...year old CB anyway. It will soon be regretted.

Not excited about a Pro Bowl CB?! LMFAO! In the words of C Mac D, I expect that from you. You get excited about TJ. Winfield just turned 32 BTW.

Mr Anderson
07-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Fantastic

Tad7
07-22-2009, 07:50 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Tad7" wrote:

Not excited about a Pro Bowl CB?! LMFAO! In the words of C Mac D, I expect that from you. You get excited about TJ. Winfield just turned 32 BTW.

I'm excited for this year when he's 32..that was happening no matter what. But this new contract starts at age 33 for who knows how long. Cornerbacks and Running Backs age fast man. I'm not a fan of giving players their last big contracts.

VIPER420
07-22-2009, 07:52 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Tad7" wrote:

Im a TJ supporter but every time Tad7 post, it makes me rethink things.
:D

marstc09
07-22-2009, 07:55 PM
"Tad7" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Tad7" wrote:

I'm excited for this year when he's 32..that was happening no matter what. But this new contract starts at age 33 for who knows how long. Cornerbacks and Running Backs age fast man. I'm not a fan of giving players their last big contracts.

Age isn't nothing but a number. As long as he keeps up the Pro Bowl performance, I could care less. Just enough time to groom a replacement. Look for a 1st rounder in next years draft.

Fran the Man
07-22-2009, 08:02 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Tad7" wrote:

What's the chance of getting a copy of your avatar?

marstc09
07-22-2009, 08:07 PM
"Fran" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Tad7" wrote:

What's the chance of getting a copy of your avatar?

Right click and save image as......
;)

marstc09
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
UPDATE: NFL.com’s Steve Wyche reported that Winfield and Webb are expected to meet with Vikings officials this afternoon to complete a multiyear deal, according to a source. Wyche said there are still a few issues to iron out but nothing that is a deal-breaker.

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=3056

Marrdro
07-22-2009, 09:00 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

Haters.......I love how you throw that around.

The reality of this is probably that LNAD's contract is in line with what the Vikes can afford which allows them to also now sign Whinny.
This is nothing more than proof that our assumptions were correct.
If LNAD wanted something around 12 mill or up, they probably couldn't afford Whinny as well.

Simple math IMHO and has nothing to do with "Hating".

Marrdro
07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
"Tad7" wrote:

Lots of people.
Check out what this yutz posted in the Whinny thread......

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=51203.msg958033#msg958033

There is some thought that the Vikings could be waiting to see what it would take to sign Brett Favre before they get too deep into dollars – at least on this year’s cap – with a potential Winfield extension.
http://min.scout.com/2/871981.html

To sit here and think that they didn't hold this up until they figured out what number LNAD would want is crazy.

My guess, LNAD is gonna get at least a 2 year deal and that deal is what impacted/drove what the staff was gonna ink Whinny for if the LNAD wasn't to high.

marstc09
07-22-2009, 09:23 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

The reality of this is probably that LNAD's contract is in line with what the Vikes can afford which allows them to also now sign Whinny.
If LNAD wanted something around 12 mill or up, they probably couldn't afford Whinny as well.

Really?! There is speculation that it could be more than 10 million.

"singersp" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Unsatisfied with recent endings, Favre wants to go out on top
By Thomas George
|
NFL.com
Senior Columnist

Here are some of the factors that make yes a more likely answer than no:

The team expects to pay Favre a salary this season "north of $10 million," Vikings sources said. They respect and yearn for his confidence, his aura.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81162b4f&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Where are all these fans who claimed we would be able to sign Favre for next to nothing because of his desire to play?

Seems Marr & I have been thinking the $8-$12 mil range all along.

Marrdro
07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

By Thomas George
|
NFL.com
Senior Columnist

The team expects to pay Favre a salary this season "north of $10 million," Vikings sources said. They respect and yearn for his confidence, his aura.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81162b4f&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Where are all these fans who claimed we would be able to sign Favre for next to nothing because of his desire to play?

I have been thinking a bit more than $8 my friend.
In fact I was leaning towards the 10-14 range.
Maybe just maybe he is coming for the love of the game and is gonna take less.

I doubt it though.
Long story short, what he wants is inline with what Whinny wants and both are inline with what the staff wants/can pay them both.

Props to Bryzcheapski if that is in fact the case.

marstc09
07-22-2009, 09:59 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

By Thomas George
|
NFL.com
Senior Columnist

I have been thinking a bit more than $8 my friend.

I doubt it though.
Long story short, what he wants is inline with what Whinny wants and both are inline with what the staff wants/can pay them both.

Just admit it, you are warming up to Favre.

Marrdro
07-22-2009, 10:00 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

By Thomas George
|
NFL.com
Senior Columnist

I have been thinking a bit more than $8 My Sexy Little Pixie.

I doubt it though.

Just admit it, you are warming up to Favre.

NEGATIVE.
;D

Purple Floyd
07-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I hope the contract is short or highly back loaded. He will hit the wall in the next 2 years and we don't need a high salary eating up cap room on a senior citizen.

thepacksux
07-22-2009, 10:28 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

Since Winfield is already under contract this year (not sure of the cap hit) it is quite possible that his extension doesn't add a single dime against the cap or it could even possibly be reduced this year.
Not at all uncommon in the NFL.

I highly doubt that Winfields contract negotiations were ever stuck due to cap availability.
I'm sure it was a matter of years and $$$.
Vikes probably looking at a 3 year deal, thus including bonuses for 3 years versus 5 or 6 from Winfield's camp.

Marrdro
07-22-2009, 10:32 PM
"thepacksux" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

Since Winfield is already under contract this year (not sure of the cap hit) it is quite possible that his extension doesn't add a single dime against the cap or it could even possibly be reduced this year.

I highly doubt that Winfields contract negotiations were ever stuck due to cap availability.
Vikes probably looking at a 3 year deal, thus including bonuses for 3 years versus 5 or 6 from Winfield's camp.

A very good point, however, when dealing with the CAP, one has to take into account impact for all years, not just the current year.

raptorman
07-23-2009, 01:10 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"thepacksux" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

A very good point, however, when dealing with the CAP, one has to take into account impact for all years, not just the current year.
So how do you account for the cap after this year? Since there is no cap next year and we have no idea what the next CBA will bring.
Assume something similar will eventually come around?

Marrdro
07-23-2009, 01:27 AM
"raptorman" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"thepacksux" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

So how do you account for the cap after this year? Since there is no cap next year and we have no idea what the next CBA will bring.
Assume something similar will eventually come around?

Do you honestly believe the players and owners are gonna go into follow on years without a CBA and associated CAP?

Anyway, my comments are going on the assumption that they will get something done.

V-Unit
07-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Thank you FO for doing the right thing.

singersp
07-23-2009, 05:26 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I hope the contract is short or highly back loaded. He will hit the wall in the next 2 years and we don't need a high salary eating up cap room on a senior citizen.

**cough** Brett Favre (40)

purplepat
07-23-2009, 10:24 AM
"Tad7" wrote:

While generally true, this doesn't hold for each and every CB...

Darrell Green started every game at CB for the Redskins until he reached the age of 40...then he started in 10 games while playing in 45 more after his 40th birthday.
Was a Pro Bowler at the ages of 36 and 37.

Aeneas Williams started for the Rams at CB at ages 33 and 34, then free safety at ages 35 and 36.
He was a Pro Bowler at ages 33 and 35.

Mel Blount played CB for the Steelers through age 35, starting all 16 games and picking off 4 balls.

Eric Allen played CB through age 36, picking off 6 balls and returning 3 of those for TDs at age 35.

Ronnie Lott played through age 35, starting 15 games in his final season.

The Vikings own Bobby Bryant played CB through age 36, starting 12 games in his final season.

I realize the shelf life for most CBs is shorter than this, and we have no idea when Winfield's expiration date is.
But the fact is he did make the Pro Bowl last year (and deservedly so).
He's remained in pretty good health throughout his career.
He's never exactly relied on his speed to be a great CB.
He certainly seems like the type that could easily move to safety if he loses a step at CB.
I'd think he's worthy of a three year extension that would keep him in purple until the end of the 2012 season.

V-Unit
07-23-2009, 10:32 AM
This is a win-win for everybody.

The Vikings lock down a superb CB for a couple more years.
Winfield gets the money and stability he wanted.
Griffin, McCauley, and Allen get more experience without pressure.
The Vikings also get a chance to groom their young talent at CB slowly, rather than rushing them into the starting role.

PurpleTide
07-23-2009, 11:04 AM
"V" wrote:

The Vikings also get a chance to groom their young talent at CB slowly, rather than rushing them into the starting role.

It's nice to see the Vet getting the respect he deserve's. Now lets get those draft picks signed.

NordicNed
07-23-2009, 11:09 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

"V" wrote:

It's nice to see the Vet getting the respect he deserve's. Now lets get those draft picks signed.

It would be nice to see Winfield retire a Viking, in the future.
He's still got a few solid years in the tank...

i_bleed_purple
07-23-2009, 11:16 AM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"PurpleTide" wrote:

"V" wrote:

I just hope he doesn't try and stay longer than his body allows.

I'd love him to retire a VIking, but if he's 37 and trying to get paid top dollar on his next contract, he'll have to go.

V-Unit
07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

"PurpleTide" wrote:

"V" wrote:

I'd love him to retire a VIking, but if he's 37 and trying to get paid top dollar on his next contract, he'll have to go.

Let's worry about five years, in five years.

i_bleed_purple
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
"V" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

"PurpleTide" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Let's worry about five years, in five years.

sure... so Brett Favre.....

VikingMike
07-23-2009, 03:23 PM
It's official.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/vikings-sign-winfield-to-extension/83a9e145-fff4-43e4-81ff-e5dfc316c396

ejmat
07-23-2009, 03:26 PM
"VikingMike" wrote:

It's official.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/vikings-sign-winfield-to-extension/83a9e145-fff4-43e4-81ff-e5dfc316c396

LOL.
just posted this in a new topic.
Sorry for the redundancy.

VikingMike
07-23-2009, 03:28 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"VikingMike" wrote:

It's official.

LOL.
just posted this in a new topic.
Sorry for the redundancy.

Probably deserves its own thread. Glad he's signed.

Garland Greene
07-23-2009, 05:39 PM
glad they got this done finally. He is exactly what we need with our young secondary

Vikefanman2000
07-23-2009, 06:13 PM
5 years for a 32 year old in a position that requires speed seems a bit much.....but I guess if he performs...great!
If he looses a step....they can always cut the back end of the contract!
Regardless....this team is built for NOW.....a couple year window to get it done....
Winnie is an important part of todays team and I am happy the deal got done!

Marrdro
07-23-2009, 06:33 PM
"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

5 years for a 32 year old in a position that requires speed seems a bit much.....but I guess if he performs...great!
Regardless....this team is built for NOW.....a couple year window to get it done....

This team isn't built for "Now" it is being built for the long run.
Teams that are built for "Now" have to be rebuilt in a year or two after they dont' win "Now".

The teams that win, as I said, are built to compete for the long run by drafting young talent each year, re-signing key Vets and filling wholes via FA were needed.

Again, if one were to look close at how this team, that you contend is built to win now, was/is being built, you will see that.

Formo
07-23-2009, 06:36 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Again, if one were to look close at how this team, that you contend is built to win now, was/is being built, you will see that.

What did you just say?

WALIARHHLII

Marrdro
07-23-2009, 06:39 PM
"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

What did you just say?

WALIARHHLII

Can't see vids at work.
Sorry.

Formo
07-23-2009, 06:40 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

What did you just say?

WALIARHHLII

Can't see vids at work.
Sorry.

It's the video of Miss Teen USA South Carolina of 2007.

Vikefanman2000
07-23-2009, 06:52 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

Teams that are built for "Now" have to be rebuilt in a year or two after they dont' win "Now".

The teams that win, as I said, are built to compete for the long run by drafting young talent each year, re-signing key Vets and filling wholes via FA were needed.

I would agree with you that this team is built to be good for a number of years and should compete for the top of the NFC Norse for a while.

However, I think it is rare that “enough” key factors come together all at the same time that make a team a legitimate Superbowl caliber team.

In my opinion, that time is “Now”.
Key factors can be playmakers, ages of players, levels of other teams, coaching, health, etc.

Marrdro
07-23-2009, 07:04 PM
"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

I would agree with you that this team is built to be good for a number of years and should compete for the top of the NFC Norse for a while.

However, I think it is rare that “enough” key factors come together all at the same time that make a team a legitimate Superbowl caliber team.

In my opinion, that time is “Now”.
Key factors can be playmakers, ages of players, levels of other teams, coaching, health, etc.

All good points, however, ......

a.
RT.
Even though we are all excited that the staff finally did something to upgrade RT, that spot will be a weakness at least during the beginning of the year.
b.
C.
Same comment as RT.
I am glad they moved on, but if they don't have a QB under C that can help with the defensive reads, we will continue to see delayed blitz packages up the middle like we have for the last 2 years.
c.
RB.
Will AD continue to fumble?
d.
WR.
Will they be able to get off the line and exploit the one on one matchups?

Long story short, each team always has something wrong with it.

Do we have a good chance at being a contender this year?
Hell yes, however this team has a broad brush put to it with a nice mix of youngsters, middle of the road vets, sprinkled with FA vets were needed.

Purple Floyd
07-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Too much for a player that old. This one was not a good idea IMO. Especially with that much guaranteed money and that long of a term.

Marrdro
07-23-2009, 07:19 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Too much for a player that old. This one was not a good idea IMO. Especially with that much guaranteed money and that long of a term.

I'm glad they signed him.
I'm also happy with the GM.
Not so sure about the length of the contract.
Gonna send my boy Pat Kirwan an email to see if he can give me specifics on the back end.

My guess is the length isn't gauranteed and we can shit can him any time we feel his production is slipping.

Formo
07-23-2009, 07:22 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

16mil over 4/5 years guaranteed?
Not too shabby, if you ask me.

V-Unit
07-23-2009, 07:46 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Purple Floyd
07-23-2009, 07:47 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Gonna send my boy Pat Kirwan an email to see if he can give me specifics on the back end.

My guess is the length isn't gauranteed and we can shit can him any time we feel his production is slipping.

But the 16.5 is guaranteed and if his play goes south we will still have that coming out of the cap. I am sure you would have been just as happy having Birk and Sharper signed to that type of contract right?

Purple Floyd
07-23-2009, 07:48 PM
"Formo" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

16mil over 4/5 years guaranteed?
Not too shabby, if you ask me.

Or if you ask Winfield.

Marrdro
07-23-2009, 07:59 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

My guess is the length isn't gauranteed and we can pooh can him any time we feel his production is slipping.

But the 16.5 is guaranteed and if his play goes south we will still have that coming out of the cap. I am sure you would have been just as happy having Birk and Sharper signed to that type of contract right?

A couple of thoughts.....

a.
Bryzcheapski doesn't overpay.
The money is inline with what they need to spend each and every year (my guess without seeing the contract).
b.
Birk and Sharp didn't fit the scheme.
I think it was damn nice of the staff to allow them to play out thier contracts.
Whinny on the other hand, is a perfect fit for our cover 2 and is still productive.

Formo
07-23-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm not 100% sure why they let Birk go..
But I think it was REALLY obvious Sharp was let go.
The end didn't justify the means.

As far as Winny goes, I think he has a year or two of high productivity left in him (didn't he have a career season last year?).

While we are griping about being overpaid..
Why is Berrian looking a bit coy?

Garland Greene
07-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Winfield was a very much needed signing.one of the leaders on defense. So I would consider this a huge FA signing. As far as to much I find it weird that people are all over getting every aging FA out there that they think can help the team but think they paid to much for a player that has proven to be a leader. I am confused.

V-Unit
07-24-2009, 11:29 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

My guess is the length isn't gauranteed and we can pooh can him any time we feel his production is slipping.

a.
The money is inline with what they need to spend each and every year (my guess without seeing the contract).
b.
I think it was damn nice of the staff to allow them to play out thier contracts.
Whinny on the other hand, is a perfect fit for our cover 2 and is still productive.

Birk didn't fit the scheme? That is a whole lot of BS!

i_bleed_purple
07-24-2009, 11:35 AM
"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

a.
b.

Sharper sure didn't, I believe that.

Prophet
07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

a.
b.

lmao, marrdro, I just bumped you off into your own worksheet.

vikinggreg
07-24-2009, 02:01 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
b.

I think its true with Sharper and thats why there weren't any talks or offers from the Vikings.

Not sure that applies to Birk as there were talks and there was an offer, an offer very similar to the Baltimore offer but as Birk stated he felt it was time for a change.

“I’m just thankful to have the chance and the opportunity at this stage in my life to be able to do something new, try something new. It could totally backfire. Might be the worst decision I ever made. Who knows? But I really do think that with personal growth you need to have change, and with change there’s risk.”LINK (http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/125867/)

Marrdro
07-24-2009, 08:51 PM
"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

a.
b.
I think it was gol 'darnit nice of the staff to allow them to play out thier contracts.

I stand corrected.
V says he fit the scheme.
:o
(More sarcasim)

Tell me how he fit the scheme and I will get off it.
::)

Purple Floyd
07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
b.
I think it was gol 'darnit nice of the staff to allow them to play out thier contracts.

I stand corrected.
(More sarcasim)

Simple.

He knew how to block.

Marrdro
07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
b.

lmao, marrdro, I just bumped you off into your own worksheet.

LOL, tell me about it.
The great Oz has spoken so my shit just got tossed out the window.
;)

Marrdro
07-24-2009, 08:54 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

a.
b.

I stand corrected.

(More sarcasim)

Simple.

He knew how to block.

So the inordinate amount of sacks given up the middle proved that?
Our inability to run a screen cause the C couldn't pull proves it?

Again, tell me how he fit the scheme.

Marrdro
07-24-2009, 08:56 PM
"vikinggreg" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

a.
b.

I think its true with Sharper and thats why there weren't any talks or offers from the Vikings.

Not sure that applies to Birk as there were talks and there was an offer, an offer very similar to the Baltimore offer but as Birk stated he felt it was time for a change.

“I’m just thankful to have the chance and the opportunity at this stage in my life to be able to do something new, try something new. It could totally backfire. Might be the worst decision I ever made. Who knows? But I really do think that with personal growth you need to have change, and with change there’s risk.”LINK (http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/125867/)

Sure there was a offer on the table.
Wonder why Matt didn't take it?
Maybe it was a offer comensurate with what a backup center would get.

Nope, he couldn't pull, coudn't make the proper line call, couldn't pick up the delayed blityz, hell he got pancaked on his ass even when he did at times.......

Ohhhhhh, wait, V says he fit the scheme.........WOW, how could I be so wrong.......(Sarcasim again)

Still waiting for something with a bit more substance to it.

Purple Floyd
07-24-2009, 08:58 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
b.

I stand corrected.
(More sarcasim)

Simple.

He knew how to block.

He is one of the better pulling guards in the league. We didn't pull because of the game plan,not the talent. I am bookmarking this for week one when I post a clip of him pulling in Baltimore just to see your response.

The sacks up the middle were Hutch. This has been discussed before. ;)

Mr Anderson
07-24-2009, 09:06 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V" wrote:

a.
b.

I stand corrected.

(More sarcasim)

Simple.

He knew how to block.

He is one of the better pulling guards in the league. We didn't pull because of the game plan,not the talent. I am bookmarking this for week one when I post a clip of him pulling in Baltimore just to see your response.

He's a center.
He used to be a great pulling center, then he had his hip injury and he couldn't do it anymore.

And I find it hard to blame Hutchinson. I remember screaming about Birk on several occasions last season, and can't recall ever really being pissed about a bad play by Hutchinson.

Marrdro
07-24-2009, 09:09 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"V" wrote:

a.
b.

I stand corrected.

(More sarcasim)

Simple.

He knew how to block.

No wonder, I've been confused the whole time.
He's a fricken G not a C.
:o Ohhhhhh Shit.

Marrdro
07-24-2009, 09:12 PM
"Mr" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
b.

I stand corrected.

(More sarcasim)

Simple.

He knew how to block.

He's a center.
He used to be a great pulling center, then he had his hip injury and he couldn't do it anymore.

And I find it hard to blame Hutchinson. I remember screaming about Birk on several occasions last season, and can't recall ever really being pissed about a bad play by Hutchinson.

Alllll right, lets make up our fricken minds.
I Bark a G or a C.
(Sarcasim).

Excellent post Mr. A.
There was a time he was damn good.
Age and injuries contributed to his decline.
On a side note though, if the Ravens don't shift to the ZB scheme he will do fine.

Purple Floyd
07-24-2009, 10:11 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
b.

I stand corrected.
(More sarcasim)

Simple.

He knew how to block.

No wonder, I've been confused the whole time.
He's a fricken G not a C.
:o Ohhhhhh Shit.

Alzheimers ;D ;D ;D ;D

Either that or a FaUltY KeybOaRD.

That aside, I am still bookmarking this for the regular season when the new CENTER for the Ravens is pulling and our OL looks worse than when your hated birk was here ;D

Purple Floyd
07-24-2009, 10:12 PM
"Mr" wrote:

He's a center.

Thanks for the catch. I couldn't do it without you.

vikinggreg
07-24-2009, 11:10 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"vikinggreg" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
b.

Nope, he couldn't pull, coudn't make the proper line call, couldn't pick up the delayed blityz, hell he got pancaked on his ass even when he did at times.......

Ohhhhhh, wait, V says he fit the scheme.........WOW, how could I be so wrong.......(Sarcasim again)

Birk will receive $9 million in the first two years of the deal, which is believed to be similar to the one offered by the Vikings.LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3952875)

Some how I don't see a backup centers making that much cabbage

Do you have a link to a contract for backup offer
???

As far as the center pulling, the guards aren't pulling either since Childress went to ZB scheme I remember talking to Del about that the first year things changed.

singersp
07-25-2009, 03:36 AM
"vikinggreg" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"vikinggreg" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V" wrote:

a.
b.

Birk will receive $9 million in the first two years of the deal, which is believed to be similar to the one offered by the Vikings.LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3952875)

Some how I don't see a backup centers making that much cabbage

Do you have a link to a contract for backup offer
???

As far as the center pulling, the guards aren't pulling either since Childress went to ZB scheme I remember talking to Del about that the first year things changed.

So who is right? Del or Marrdro? Hmmmm!

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 08:30 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

a.
b.

I stand corrected.
(More sarcasim)

Simple.

He knew how to block.

He's a center.

Alllll right, lets make up our fricken minds.
I Bark a G or a C.
(Sarcasim).

Excellent post Mr. A.
There was a time he was damn good.
Age and injuries contributed to his decline.
On a side note though, if the Ravens don't shift to the ZB scheme he will do fine.

Bacl]k to the subject, I supose it's not fashionable to bring up how many pass plays Winfield has given up in the past 5 years. His tackle count is as high as it is since he got here because he gave up so darn many pass completions. I suppose that is OK because he isn't Birk though, right?

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 08:33 AM
"Mr" wrote:

I remember screaming about Birk on several occasions last season, and can't recall ever really being pissed about a bad play by Hutchinson.

I remember being screaming at Winfield for 4 years because he gave up almost every play in front of him. Last year I feel he had an excellent season. Maybe part of that was people picked on Griff early and he wasn't tested as much. Birk never missed the number of assignments over the last 5 years that Antione did. Not even close.

Zeus
07-25-2009, 08:37 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

I remember screaming about Birk on several occasions last season, and can't recall ever really being pissed about a bad play by Hutchinson.

I remember being screaming at Winfield for 4 years because he gave up almost every play in front of him. Last year I feel he had an excellent season. Maybe part of that was people picked on Griff early and he wasn't tested as much. Birk never missed the number of assignments over the last 5 years that Antione did. Not even close.

That's a crock.
The Cover 2 is designed to keep the play in front of you.
If you play off and drop back into coverage, there's not much you can do if the ball comes to the WR and he catches it.
AND THEN you make the tackle.
That's how the defense is designed to work.
He's not supposed to blanketing the WR, attempting to break up the pass.

=Z=

ejmat
07-25-2009, 08:38 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

+1.
I have said the same thing.
He has made some decent playes and last year he had a good season.
But prior he let up a lot of plays in front of him.
But he has always been an excellent open field tackler.

Zeus
07-25-2009, 08:39 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

+1.

The Cover 2 is designed to keep the plays in front of you and stop the YAC.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 08:45 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

+1.

=Z=

But not with a fucking 15 yard cushion buddy ;)

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 08:46 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

That's a crock.
The Cover 2 is designed to keep the play in front of you.
If you play off and drop back into coverage, there's not much you can do if the ball comes to the WR and he catches it.
AND THEN you make the tackle.
That's how the defense is designed to work.
He's not supposed to blanketing the WR, attempting to break up the pass.

=Z=

<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0C2SIZ5qsSQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ejmat
07-25-2009, 08:50 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

+1.

=Z=

I can agree it is a bend not break style but give it a rest with that excuse.
Every defense is designed to break plays up get a few INTs here and there.
Not to give up 10-15 yard plays then tackle.

Zeus
07-25-2009, 08:55 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

+1.

If that's how the coverage is called from the sideline, it is.

Fact is, even with all the yards that have been given up by the Vikings pass defense the past few seasons, they still end up with one of the highest ranked defenses in terms of passing TDs given up.
And THAT's because of the Cover 2.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 09:00 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

+1.

Fact is, even with all the yards that have been given up by the Vikings pass defense the past few seasons, they still end up with one of the highest ranked defenses in terms of passing TDs given up.

=Z=

And if the 15 yard cushion called from the sideline is to give you the cushion to make up for your lack of NFL caliber speed....

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 09:02 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

+1.

=Z=

It also gave the offense a less favorable field position on average to begin their drives. That is because of the cover 2.

Zeus
07-25-2009, 09:03 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

+1.

And if the 15 yard cushion called from the sideline is to give you the cushion to make up for your lack of NFL caliber speed....

Sometimes, I wonder why you're even a fan, since all you seem to do is bitch and complain.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 09:06 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

+1.

Sometimes, I wonder why you're even a fan, since all you seem to do is bitch and complain.

=Z=

LMAO.

You went to that faster than normal.

Prophet
07-25-2009, 09:07 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

+1.

=Z=

He just uses pp.o as a release from his mayoral duties.
The peasants are pissed off that the mayor spends all day looking at porn and posting on an nfl forum.

Zeus
07-25-2009, 09:09 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

+1.

LMAO.

Whatever, dude.
I dare you to find something positive you posted about the team.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 09:11 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

+1.

=Z=

He just uses pp.o as a release from his mayoral duties.
The peasants are pissed off that the mayor spends all day looking at porn and posting on an nfl forum.

I'll respond more to this quote right after I finish this Bree Olsen video ;D

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 09:12 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

+1.

LMAO.

Whatever, dude.

=Z=

And if I do.... ?

Zeus
07-25-2009, 09:14 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

+1.

LMAO.

Whatever, dude.

And if I do.... ?

Then I will genuflect in the southerly direction from the front porch of my house.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 10:10 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

+1.

LMAO.

Whatever, dude.

And if I do.... ?

Then I will genuflect in the southerly direction from the front porch of my house.

=Z=

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Winfield earns Pro Bowl invitation
on: December 16, 2008, 03:12:08 PM
I was very critical of Winfield the past few years, but this year he is playing spectacular and has elevated his level of play.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Vikings are still in contention for the NFC's # 1 Seed.
on: December 16, 2008, 12:19:27 PM
It doesn't matter. We will just beat whoever we face no matter who they are on our way to the SB victory which I now understand happens in Feb and not Jan.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Vikings Vs Falcons predictions
on: December 16, 2008, 08:56:56 AM
The falcons will go down in defeat to the Purple Posse and the 98 embarrassment will be avenged as we use them as the next step on the path to the Super Bowl.

Purplepride Lounge / The Clubhouse / Could Childress be leaving?
on: December 16, 2008, 08:54:19 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-peterson&prov=ap&type=lgns

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Carl Peterson made football in Kansas City fun again.

But 20 years later, he’s out as president, CEO and general manager after a gut-wrenching 22-21 loss to San Diego dropped the Chiefs to 2-12 this season and 2-21 since mid-October of 2007.

After we win the SB this year ( Yes, this is the purely positive UffDa here) Childress will either have to be locked up long term with the Purple or he may leave for greener pastures. The GM/Head coach job at KC ( he could make the personnel decisions, coach the team and call the plays) could be intriguing to him considering that they now have the QB he should have kept, plenty of young talent, and the outdoor stadium that real men like Childress long to coach in.

This new single person approach would be called the "Steeple of Superiority" and contain all of the benefits it's name eludes to and it surpasses the TOA's ability to quickly acquire and develop talent into a proven winner.

We best enjoy him while we can boys and girls.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Vikings' jubilation subdued by Pat Williams injury
on: December 15, 2008, 09:55:31 PM
We will be fine. The depth at the DL is good enough to take us through the year if we need them to. This may give us more of a chance to have Robison in the game and while we will miss Pat, the guys are going to step in, do their job, and bring home the gold at the end of the year.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: The Official Tarvaris Jackson Thread
on: December 15, 2008, 09:47:56 PM
Aren't we 9-3 over the last 12 weeks with 2 different QB's?

When was the last time this team went 9-3 during any stretch of a season?

Let's just enjoy the fact we have a team that can win with either of them and hope it doesn't end no matter who they have under center.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Tarvaris Jackson will start at QB against Cardinals
on: December 15, 2008, 09:45:01 PM
The thing we should be looking at as Vikings fans is that we are winning. Whether we start Jackson, Frerotte or Cledus T Judd really doesn't matter as long as the team is winning. If they start to go the other way, then we can get back to the pissing matches. Enjoy the 9-3 streak, it's been a while since we have seen one and there is nothing guaranteeing we will see another one any time soon as much as we would love to.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It
on: December 15, 2008, 11:40:05 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on December 15, 2008, 11:33:01 AM
Quote from: Marrdro on December 15, 2008, 11:30:24 AM
Quote from: singersp on December 15, 2008, 11:17:21 AM
Quote from: CCthebest on December 15, 2008, 11:00:24 AM
Griffin could be the most imporved player this year...even though he missed 2 easy pics yesterday.

Have you noticed the improvement he made once we started playing more man-to-man?
Wink
Don't kid yourself.
They are still playing Cover 2 my friend.
CB's are just playing closer to the line.
Tongue

I think it's also because of Madieu Williams being back there... since he came back, our secondary has vastly improved!

You are probably right. The whole defense has elevated it's play since he has been in the lineup.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Tarvaris Jackson will start at QB against Cardinals
on: December 15, 2008, 11:36:02 AM
Quote from: Marrdro on December 15, 2008, 11:33:43 AM
Quote from: Mr-holland on December 15, 2008, 11:20:38 AM
I look at how Gus was playing and how TJ has been playing ( of course TJ played less ) and my conclusion is that TJ deserves to start even when Gus is 100%
Maybe its just me, however, the attitude of this team did a 180 when TJ came in for Gus in the Detroit game and yesterdays performance was something to see let me tell you.

If I am right, I assume the team wants him to start as well.

I think you might be right, but if you look back to the third game, the attitude changed 180 degrees at that time too. The real key is whether we can maintain it through the Super Bowl

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Offical Post Game Thoughts And Observations Vs. Cardinals
on: December 15, 2008, 10:35:55 AM
Quote from: CCthebest on December 15, 2008, 10:27:18 AM
Couple things for the TJ lovers. He did have a good game, no doubt. But he had a huge lead, and he didnt have much pressure. And AD was on fire. Saying hes better then Gus isnt saying much. He has had 3 perfect passes though. The one last week to Shank, the one to Wade (great move by Wade) and the bomb to BB. Lets see what he does when the D doesnt play well and we are down, and in passing situations before we crown him king TJ. I expect to see the jump pass and the INTs then. Hope im wrong. I sure hope he starts though next week. Im sick of Gus.

Some good points maybe, But the thing about the lead- We had a huge lead because he threw TD passes. Yes, we had one punt return that gave us a quick 7, but then we went after their secondary and opened up the lead through the air. That was TJ making the throws he had to make. Could Gus have made those throws? Probably. But the important thing is that the team made them now and they scored points off of them.

You are correct that it won't always be that easy and Atlanta will give a much tougher test than Arizona but we will beat them on the way to the SB

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: The Official Tarvaris Jackson Thread
on: December 15, 2008, 09:55:04 AM
Quote from: ejmat on December 15, 2008, 09:51:03 AM
The one thing I did notice was after the 41 yard pass to Berrian, AZ immediately took that 8th man out of the box.

I like how they came out and immediately went down field.
I know the first one wasn't completed but when the second was, AZ had to back off the LOS.

Bingo.

Like I have said for 2 years. Stretch the field vertically and it opens up the running game for the backs to exploit. You will notice that it wasn't just AD either. CT had some great runs and also the screen pass was opened up because the whole defense wasn't clogging the line.

Vikings & Football Talk / General NFL Discussion / Re: NFC Playoff Picture: Giants are miles ahead of the competition
on: December 15, 2008, 09:52:24 AM
Does anybody still thing the Giants are going to be resting their starters when we play them?

I for one want them to be playing the full roster because I think our defense is going to give Eli many problems and I don't believe they can stop AD/Taylor.

on: December 15, 2008, 09:43:13 AM
Quote from: Marrdro on December 15, 2008, 08:56:25 AM
Quote from: UffDaVikes on December 15, 2008, 08:25:18 AM
The biggest thing that I saw from the first 2 weeks is that they are finally using the personnel to their strengths.

If you look at the long passes that were made, we were in a max protect package and Jackson was taking deeper drops than they were having him take when he was struggling. Now, instead of the 3 step drops and 3 yard routes that were getting us no where they were sending guys down the field and Jackson was dropping farther back, which gave the line a bigger space to form a pocket and the WR's time to get down the field. The offense is looking less lateral and more vertical and that is where I have been saying Jackson would prove to be successful if he ever will be.

He had his best game yesterday and now it will be good to see if that is his ceiling or just another step up the ladder.
Although I will agree with you on most of your points/thoughts, I would like to say that I believe the execution is better in all facets of the offense and not just how many drops the QB is taking.

I still contend that if the OL was blocking better, the WR's weren't dinged and getting better seperation, and the coaching staff would have helped him with his pre-snap reads, TJ wouldn't have been benched, but hey, thats just me.
Grin

They are playing better as a whole. And that improvement is because they are now doing things that they are better suited to do.

Of course they just played 2 of the weakest defenses in the league so that is also part of it, but the fact remains they did execute and that is a great thing.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Offical Post Game Thoughts And Observations Vs. Cardinals
on: December 15, 2008, 08:46:12 AM
As good as our defense looks right now, just think of what it would look like if EJ was still in there. Holy shit that would be a stout unit.

on: December 15, 2008, 08:25:18 AM
The biggest thing that I saw from the first 2 weeks is that they are finally using the personnel to their strengths.

If you look at the long passes that were made, we were in a max protect package and Jackson was taking deeper drops than they were having him take when he was struggling. Now, instead of the 3 step drops and 3 yard routes that were getting us no where they were sending guys down the field and Jackson was dropping farther back, which gave the line a bigger space to form a pocket and the WR's time to get down the field. The offense is looking less lateral and more vertical and that is where I have been saying Jackson would prove to be successful if he ever will be.

He had his best game yesterday and now it will be good to see if that is his ceiling or just another step up the ladder.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Vikings' special teams sets NFL record
on: December 15, 2008, 07:53:45 AM
On the other hand Berrian now holds the record for the longest offensive TD in team history and the longest punt return in history if what the announcers said yesterday is true. Even if the punt return wasn't a record, BB is still earning his paycheck.

on: December 14, 2008, 08:42:58 PM
Quote from: NodakPaul on December 14, 2008, 07:02:25 PM
Quote from: C Mac D on December 14, 2008, 06:59:06 PM
I'm still in shock that Jackson had such a good game. 4 TDs and zero picks?

Honestly,
awesome game...

65% completion.
135 passer rating.
I am amazed.

They are finally coming around to doing what they are built to do. Run the ball down the throat of the defense and then throwing over the top. That kept the defense from clogging the middle which opened up the running lanes and gave us big plays in the passing game.This is what I have been wanting for a few years and it worked great.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Misery is life as a Vikings Fan
on: December 14, 2008, 07:49:45 AM
All that will change when we win the SB this year and guys like Childress, Bevell, Jackson and Cook start to have streets near the dome renamed after them.

Vikings & Football Talk / Gameday Previews / Re: For the Vikings to stay on top, they must stop Cardinals' wide receivers
on: December 11, 2008, 04:52:07 PM
Screw the cardinals.

The Vikings are going to lay a 40 burger on them.

Anything else you want to add to the discussion =Z=?

Zeus
07-25-2009, 10:34 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

+1.

LMAO.

Whatever, dude.

And if I do.... ?

=Z=

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Winfield earns Pro Bowl invitation

I was very critical of Winfield the past few years, but this year he is playing spectacular and has elevated his level of play.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Vikings are still in contention for the NFC's # 1 Seed.

It doesn't matter. We will just beat whoever we face no matter who they are on our way to the SB victory which I now understand happens in Feb and not Jan.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Vikings Vs Falcons predictions

The falcons will go down in defeat to the Purple Posse and the 98 embarrassment will be avenged as we use them as the next step on the path to the Super Bowl.

But 20 years later, he’s out as president, CEO and general manager after a gut-wrenching 22-21 loss to San Diego dropped the Chiefs to 2-12 this season and 2-21 since mid-October of 2007.

After we win the SB this year ( Yes, this is the purely positive UffDa here) Childress will either have to be locked up long term with the Purple or he may leave for greener pastures. The GM/Head coach job at KC ( he could make the personnel decisions, coach the team and call the plays) could be intriguing to him considering that they now have the QB he should have kept, plenty of young talent, and the outdoor stadium that real men like Childress long to coach in.

This new single person approach would be called the "Steeple of Superiority" and contain all of the benefits it's name eludes to and it surpasses the TOA's ability to quickly acquire and develop talent into a proven winner.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Vikings' jubilation subdued by Pat Williams injury

We will be fine. The depth at the DL is good enough to take us through the year if we need them to. This may give us more of a chance to have Robison in the game and while we will miss Pat, the guys are going to step in, do their job, and bring home the gold at the end of the year.

Let's just enjoy the fact we have a team that can win with either of them and hope it doesn't end no matter who they have under center.

The thing we should be looking at as Vikings fans is that we are winning. Whether we start Jackson, Frerotte or Cledus T Judd really doesn't matter as long as the team is winning. If they start to go the other way, then we can get back to the pissing matches. Enjoy the 9-3 streak, it's been a while since we have seen one and there is nothing guaranteeing we will see another one any time soon as much as we would love to.

Griffin could be the most imporved player this year...even though he missed 2 easy pics yesterday.

Have you noticed the improvement he made once we started playing more man-to-man?
Wink
Don't kid yourself.
Tongue

I think it's also because of Madieu Williams being back there... since he came back, our secondary has vastly improved!

You are probably right. The whole defense has elevated it's play since he has been in the lineup.

I look at how Gus was playing and how TJ has been playing ( of course TJ played less ) and my conclusion is that TJ deserves to start even when Gus is 100%
Maybe its just me, however, the attitude of this team did a 180 when TJ came in for Gus in the Detroit game and yesterdays performance was something to see let me tell you.

I think you might be right, but if you look back to the third game, the attitude changed 180 degrees at that time too. The real key is whether we can maintain it through the Super Bowl

Couple things for the TJ lovers. He did have a good game, no doubt. But he had a huge lead, and he didnt have much pressure. And AD was on fire. Saying hes better then Gus isnt saying much. He has had 3 perfect passes though. The one last week to Shank, the one to Wade (great move by Wade) and the bomb to BB. Lets see what he does when the D doesnt play well and we are down, and in passing situations before we crown him king TJ. I expect to see the jump pass and the INTs then. Hope im wrong. I sure hope he starts though next week. Im sick of Gus.

Some good points maybe, But the thing about the lead- We had a huge lead because he threw TD passes. Yes, we had one punt return that gave us a quick 7, but then we went after their secondary and opened up the lead through the air. That was TJ making the throws he had to make. Could Gus have made those throws? Probably. But the important thing is that the team made them now and they scored points off of them.

You are correct that it won't always be that easy and Atlanta will give a much tougher test than Arizona but we will beat them on the way to the SB

The one thing I did notice was after the 41 yard pass to Berrian, AZ immediately took that 8th man out of the box.

I know the first one wasn't completed but when the second was, AZ had to back off the LOS.

Bingo.

Like I have said for 2 years. Stretch the field vertically and it opens up the running game for the backs to exploit. You will notice that it wasn't just AD either. CT had some great runs and also the screen pass was opened up because the whole defense wasn't clogging the line.

Vikings & Football Talk / General NFL Discussion / Re: NFC Playoff Picture: Giants are miles ahead of the competition

Does anybody still thing the Giants are going to be resting their starters when we play them?

I for one want them to be playing the full roster because I think our defense is going to give Eli many problems and I don't believe they can stop AD/Taylor.

Although I will agree with you on most of your points/thoughts, I would like to say that I believe the execution is better in all facets of the offense and not just how many drops the QB is taking.

I still contend that if the OL was blocking better, the WR's weren't dinged and getting better seperation, and the coaching staff would have helped him with his pre-snap reads, TJ wouldn't have been benched, but hey, thats just me.

Grin

They are playing better as a whole. And that improvement is because they are now doing things that they are better suited to do.

Of course they just played 2 of the weakest defenses in the league so that is also part of it, but the fact remains they did execute and that is a great thing.

As good as our defense looks right now, just think of what it would look like if EJ was still in there. Holy shit that would be a stout unit.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Vikings' special teams sets NFL record

On the other hand Berrian now holds the record for the longest offensive TD in team history and the longest punt return in history if what the announcers said yesterday is true. Even if the punt return wasn't a record, BB is still earning his paycheck.

Honestly,
awesome game...

65% completion.
135 passer rating.
I am amazed.

They are finally coming around to doing what they are built to do. Run the ball down the throat of the defense and then throwing over the top. That kept the defense from clogging the middle which opened up the running lanes and gave us big plays in the passing game.This is what I have been wanting for a few years and it worked great.

Vikings & Football Talk / Vikings Fan Forum / Re: Misery is life as a Vikings Fan

All that will change when we win the SB this year and guys like Childress, Bevell, Jackson and Cook start to have streets near the dome renamed after them.

Vikings & Football Talk / Gameday Previews / Re: For the Vikings to stay on top, they must stop Cardinals' wide receivers

Screw the cardinals.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

That's DECEMBER of last year!
How many negative things since then?

=Z=

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 11:05 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

+1.

LMAO.

Whatever, dude.

And if I do.... ?

=Z=

Wink
Don't kid yourself.
Tongue

Bingo.

Grin

Honestly,
awesome game...

65% completion.
135 passer rating.
I am amazed.

Screw the cardinals.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

=Z=

I just picked them randomly from the season(when it counts)

So now you are putting a timeline on it? That is pretty lame.

BTW

would it kill you to trim the thread ?

snowinapril
07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
What is up with the pissing match?

Lighten up!

Gooooossssss Frrrrraaaabbbbaaaaa!

Hakunana Matada and all that stuff!

Purple Floyd
07-25-2009, 12:39 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

=Z=

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

I mentioned such a idea a while back as part of how the Vikes can keep Favre healthy and rested for the playoffs.

The Favre haters came up with reasons why it wouldn't work.

They think it won't work because of timing issues with WR's, exchange between center and QB, expectations from OL for protection, exchange between QB and RB, and other nuances.

Not sure if I really like to use the word hate, however, for the sake of discussion, I readily admit I am 100% against him coming, however, to sit here and think you can use a QB like a relief pitcher in baseball is kindof crazy.
All "Hating" aside, like it or not, those types of things are very important to how the offense works, especially in the WCO that we run.

Requirements and disadvantages
The West Coast offense requires a quarterback who throws extremely accurately, and often blindly, very close to opposing players. In addition, it requires the quarterback to be able quickly to pick one of 5 receivers to throw to — much more quickly than previously used systems. Often, the quarterback cannot think about the play, but instead reacts instinctively — and thus is often under the control of the offensive coordinator, calling the plays for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_offense

There are three main principles to minimize risk and achieve success with the West Coast offense. These include protecting the quarterback, timing the pass, and using multiple receivers (including using backs as receivers). Pressure from the pass rush can result in loss of yardage and can disrupt timing between the quarterback and receivers, resulting in forced passes. Repeated hits on the quarterback take a toll physically and invite injury. The offense must have a plan to handle the pass rush of linemen, shooting linebackers, and defensive back blitzes. When the defense sends more rushers than available blockers, the hot receiver principle is used in order to get rid of the ball before the rusher can get to the quarterback.

http://football.calsci.com/WCOHistory6.html

Long story short, the tree that the recievers will run, based on what the D is showing, has to be exact or you will get things like "Tipped" balls, balls hitting the recievers in the back shoulder, short hopped etc.

Which I think could be mitigated by giving TJ/Sage more snaps with the 1st string during practice, once confident that Favre and the offense are in sync.
Thus, saving Favre's arm in practice too.
You do realize that a teams weekly schedule doesn't really have much time for actual on field reps right and almost all of those reps are done by the pakcage that will be doing them.

To take reps away from your number one and then split them up between 2 backups so you can "Spare" his arm is again, really not how reality is in the NFL.

But what I found more compelling was the potential off the field issues:
If TJ/Sage perform badly, it hurts their confidence and there will be lots of questions about what Chilly was thinking

If TJ/Sage perform GREAT.
What happens the following week if Favre struggles early, do you pull him?
The crowd may start asking for it.
The media will jump on it.
etc.
Instant QB controversy.

So I gave up the idea and decided that it would be best to just do more running to burn the clock... using CT to save AD.
Give some of the younger players at WR more time, etc.
Only letting TJ/Sage in during the later part of the 4th, where you also start subing OL too.
Thus, I hate to say it, but it would make it harder for TJ/Sage to succeed, but also wouldn't put the game at that much risk either.
I for one don't cotton much to the idea that what the press and fans say really affects the players much, especially at the QB position.

My guess, TJ knows why LNAD is being brought in.........

a.
He hasn't quite got reading D's down pat.
b.
He can't make the quick throws because he can't read the D's yet.
c.
When he does make the throw, he hesitates cause of a and b.

He knows he will be allowed to sit the bench and learn the way he was supposed to.

Sage on the other hand, has had this happen to him before.
Lets not forget, he was brought in before Schaub and at that point and time, he thought he was gonna be the sure starter.
To bad for him the staff had a opportunity to get another QB that they didn't think would be available.

Kindof like the current predicament he is in with the Vikes.
Young QB that might not be ready for prime time who needs to sit a spell, looked like a sure thing to be the starter.
Alas, LNAD is released by the Jets and becomes available.
Vikes opt for thier Schaub (LNAD) and now Sage is on the outs.

Anyway, call me a hater, but I hope I've answered Neds question as well as given you all kinds of stuff that explains why I think things like timing is important and none of it had anything to do with LNAD.

Excellent post my friend. Please move yourself up a column on your spreadsheet.

marstc09
07-25-2009, 06:52 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Pretty sure the requirement to be considered a senior citizen in the US is 65 or something like that.

jmcdon00
07-25-2009, 07:25 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Pretty sure the requirement to be considered a senior citizen in the US is 65 or something like that.

According to wikipedia Brett Favre is a senior citizen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_citizen

Senior citizen is a common polite designation for an elderly person in both UK and US English, and it implies or means that the person is retired.