PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Minnesota Vikings Fans(Harvin)

Garland Greene
07-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Sorry I thought this deserved its own thread But a nice read. I
did contact the writer and invited him to check out PPO so hopefully he decides to check us out. Definatly seeing alot of things that we as Vikings fans have felt as well.

http://gatorsfirst.com/index.php/florida-gators-sports-news/gatorsfirst/an-open-letter-to-minnesota-vikings-fans.html

Written by James Brown

Wednesday, 08 July 2009

This letter is to ensure you realize the joy you are about to experience watching Percy Harvin these coming years. He is leaving our Gator-centric world and entering yours, and if you feel anything but giddy, I am here to let you in on what you’re about to receive.

Percy Harvin is a fantastically talented player. And any ‘character issues’ the draft talking heads have been feeding you are complete fabrication.

Florida fans used to be frustrated with Dan Mullen. They thought his offense was too predictable, either the Harvin or Tim Tebow show. The truth is, if the offense was getting stale, and needed a play, we needed the ball in Percy Harvin’s hands. He’d run that deadly counter (just ask South Carolina, first vid, or Arkansas, second vid), or take a direct snap. The guy is a game changer.

His early career was hurt by injuries. These were a product of a heel condition he should have straightened out by now. Our training and coaching staffs, in addition to visiting NFL scouts, often were quoted as saying he was one of the toughest players they’d witnessed play the game. I’d say he is less injury-prone, and more a guy who offensive coordinators NEED to touch the ball, and are thus more likely to get nicked up now and again. He will single-handedly win you football games when he is in the lineup.

I have to address the “character concerns”. There was never one issue or one problem with Percy Harvin as a Florida Gator. Then, in the time between his declaring for the draft and the actual draft, we hear about all these “character issues”? What gives? They brought up an on-field altercation with a high school coach, and of course the rumored failed drug test. This is hardly worthy of the comparisons to Randy Moss (had to go to Marshall instead of FSU) and others. I think the NFL Draft guys just need to have the 3-4 “character issues” guys to discuss every year, and they forced Harvin into the mold. He’s a great guy, and every team in the world would be lucky to have him.

snowinapril
07-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Nice perspective!

I personally think this deserves its own thread.
If it starts to sound like the other thread, it may get merged.

MVIKING7
07-11-2009, 01:31 PM
He's ok in my book, unless he screws up. Can't go by what if or maybe's. Let the guy prove or disprove himself before passing judgement. In my opinion, I think he'll be a keeper.

MetalMike-LoudVike
07-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Right lets at least give this guy a serious chance to show up to camp and he's what he's got.
either way I am looking forward to seeing what this guy is gonna bring on the field.

PurpleTide
07-11-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm looking for Percy to be a lightning bolt in our offense, providing another home-run threat every time he touches the ball. He is going to make this offense come together, freeing up others by creating mismatches as a decoy, and Adrian, Berian, Wade, Rice, and our QB will all benefit with Harvin on the field.

gagarr
07-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm personally glad there was all the talk of "character issues" if not he would have gone much earlier in the draft and he wouldn't be a Viking.

Tad7
07-11-2009, 02:16 PM
"gagarr" wrote:

I'm personally glad there was all the talk of "character issues" if not he would have gone much earlier in the draft and he wouldn't be a Viking.

Yup! I was stoked when he failed the drug test
:D

V4L
07-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Homerism

I think he will be a nice decoy tho

I hope for big things.. I just don't know yet if he will be a polished WR for a few years

kevoncox
07-12-2009, 03:30 PM
college success =/= pro

that said...I want to see what the kid has.

VikingsTw
07-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Harvin's a man child, I still think the vast majority of Viking fans are actually underestimating him and don't have a very good grasp of who he really is, personality wise.

Truth be told I've "never" seen an athlete like him, as versitle, intense, focused, the naturaul knack for the game and the aceleration is incredible.. People will know when the ball is in his hands. ROY would not surprise me, especailly with Favre in control of the offense.

I told a friend of mine today... "It feels like stealing candy... getting a guy like Harvin that late in the draft and adding him to what we already have".

This team is incredibly stacked and the Offense is looking more like a Top 10. Health is key and if we can do that I don't think many teams will beat us this season. We got every tool in the bag, it all comes down to execution.

MVIKING7
07-12-2009, 07:36 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

Harvin's a man child, I still think the vast majority of Viking fans are actually underestimating him and don't have a very good grasp of who he really is, personality wise.

Truth be told I've "never" seen an athlete like him, as versitle, intense, focused, the naturaul knack for the game and the aceleration is incredible.. People will know when the ball is in his hands. ROY would not surprise me, especailly with Favre in control of the offense.

I told a friend of mine today... "It feels like stealing candy... getting a guy like Harvin that late in the draft and adding him to what we already have".

This team is incredibly stacked and the Offense is looking more like a Top 10. Health is key and if we can do that I don't think many teams will beat us this season. We got every tool in the bag, it all comes down to execution.
Almost every tool...you forgetting the QB position? And please don't say Sage has got it covered, or that Favre (ugh) makes the difference, because he isn't a Viking......yet (thank God). I definitly agree we have all the "other" pieces though.

Purple Floyd
07-12-2009, 07:56 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

That is incredibly interesting.Please elaborate on you as a fan were able to gain insight into his mental state that allowed you to get that particular grasp we are all missing. I feel you could really open minds with a full page thesis on the subject. I bet there are things that would make us proud.

V-Unit
07-12-2009, 08:10 PM
It's pretty clear that our WR corps needed an upgrade and I think Harvin is the perfect fit here. Nothing is ever certain with rookies, but he should give our offense a well needed boost, and his big play ability should be awesome. I expect him to contribute early and often.

raptorman
07-12-2009, 08:13 PM
From a fans perspective. I have to look at the last two WR's the Vikings picked up due to "drug" issues. One was named Cris Carter and the other was Randy Moss. I'll gladly take a chance on the kid. Besides, hes all of what, 21 years old?

VikingsTw
07-12-2009, 09:19 PM
"MVIKING7" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

Almost every tool...you forgetting the QB position? And please don't say Sage has got it covered, or that Favre (ugh) makes the difference, because he isn't a Viking......yet (thank God). I definitly agree we have all the "other" pieces though.

Without any for seen major event, I think Favre is right on track to becoming the QB. I would be shocked if it didn't happen. Everything is in place, the timing is right and I have a good feeling about that Arm.

I wanted Favre and do want Favre to QB the team... I said that before FA ever began. So yes, he's the chosen one to QB the Offense. I feel good about the decision and feel it's beneficial.

I been telling the Favre Haters to prepare theresevles for the inevitable. Simply stated... It's going to Happen.

VikingsTw
07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

That is incredibly interesting.Please elaborate on you as a fan were able to gain insight into his mental state that allowed you to get that particular grasp we are all missing. I feel you could really open minds with a full page thesis on the subject. I bet there are things that would make us proud.

Anyone with decent Talent Evaluting should be able to see the passion, even if it's a highlight film. Harvin has mental drive and focus for the sport, you can also see it in his interviews, this is undeniable and very easy to spot if you know what your doing. He highly competitive, the upmost competitor, like Favre, like Peterson, like Jared Allen. Identifying this is not rocket science at all, hell it's not even a secret so I definitly wouldn't consider it "missing". In your case you admited you had not even watched one tape of Harvin, so I'm not surprised at all that your missing out on whats there to be found.

krawll
07-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Harvin is a rookie... if he busts a couple TDs in a real game scenario ... then I'll stand up and start cheering... my enthusiasm is not given... its earned!

"MVIKING7" wrote:

And please don't say .... , or that Favre (ugh) makes the difference, because he isn't a Viking......yet (thank God).

** hugs his viking Favre doll **

MVIKING7
07-13-2009, 08:05 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

"MVIKING7" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

Without any for seen major event, I think Favre is right on track to becoming the QB. I would be shocked if it didn't happen. Everything is in place, the timing is right and I have a good feeling about that Arm.

I wanted Favre and do want Favre to QB the team... I said that before FA ever began. So yes, he's the chosen one to QB the Offense. I feel good about the decision and feel it's beneficial.

I been telling the Favre Haters to prepare theresevles for the inevitable. Simply stated... It's going to Happen.
Oh I know for sure it's a done deal, doesn't mean I have to sellout and like it.
I'm sticking to my guns, this guy is and always will be a Packer to me, and for him to want to "use " my team for his one last shot of glory, sickens me, and I don't care how many of you think I'm nuts. Iknow, this is getting off topic. Sorry just venting!

VikingsTw
07-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Absolutly, everyone has a right to their own opinion.

gatorsfirst
07-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey guys, this is the author.
Thanks for all the feedback!

I was just worried about the kind of reception Harin would get, not knowing if the average NFL fan had any idea that for his entire Gator career he was not only a once-in-a-lifetime talent, but NEVER a "character issue". I get tired of media types piling on the same storylines, and was trying to point out where they were wrong, or at least playing up a fairly minor incident.

And I always thought he'd be one of the candidates for the top pick when he left, sort of like Reggie Bush. He is that sort of talent, but more of a natural at receiver. Not sure what NFL fans think of Bush any more, as he exists in NO primarily for the swing pass, but I still think Percy makes the difference for a couple Viking W's this year, and he was definitetly a steal that low.

I'm no expert on NFL football, so I didn't want to put too much emphasis on how I project his talents... but I didn't want our man to start off on the wrong foot with the Minnesota folks. If the reason he slipped was "character issues", then no doubt you got a steal because those just aren't there.
Projecting college talents to the pros is always tough, so calling anyone a "lock" would be folly... however, I think he's a better player than damn near 20 of the people drafted above him.
Point being, if it's his talent or transition to the pros being the question mark, that's one thing... but if the drop in the draft was because of the single failed drug test... you guys got really, really lucky.
To the point that I wonder if Brad Childress lit up with him, to make sure they had a shot at him.

However he got to the Twin Cities, we're all rooting for him.

-James

Zeus
07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
"gatorsfirst" wrote:

I was just worried about the kind of reception Harin would get, not knowing if the average NFL fan had any idea that for his entire Gator career he was not only a once-in-a-lifetime talent, but NEVER a "character issue". I get tired of media types piling on the same storylines, and was trying to point out where they were wrong, or at least playing up a fairly minor incident.

And I always thought he'd be one of the candidates for the top pick when he left, sort of like Reggie Bush. He is that sort of talent, but more of a natural at receiver. Not sure what NFL fans think of Bush any more, as he exists in NO primarily for the swing pass, but I still think Percy makes the difference for a couple Viking W's this year, and he was definitetly a steal that low.

I'm no expert on NFL football, so I didn't want to put too much emphasis on how I project his talents... but I didn't want our man to start off on the wrong foot with the Minnesota folks. If the reason he slipped was "character issues", then no doubt you got a steal because those just aren't there.

Projecting college talents to the pros is always tough, so calling anyone a "lock" would be folly... however, I think he's a better player than damn near 20 of the people drafted above him.
Point being, if it's his talent or transition to the pros being the question mark, that's one thing... but if the drop in the draft was because of the single failed drug test... you guys got really, really lucky.
To the point that I wonder if Brad Childress lit up with him, to make sure they had a shot at him.

-James

James - welcome to PPO.

Honestly, for me, the biggest strike against Harvin was testing positive at the combine.
It's the biggest job interview of his life and he can't stay clean?
That's a sign of a lack of intelligence and maturity.

However, he's our guy now, so I'm a big fan.
I hope that Vikings' fans, however, realize that he is a rookie and so keeping expectations in-line with that is recommended.
I'm always happier to be pleasantly surprised than horribly disappointed.

=Z=

vikesfan87
07-16-2009, 05:25 PM
We all know what happened the last time we drafted a guy with "character issues," don't we ladies and gentlemen? This offense needed some spice to go with Peterson and Harvin can (hopefully) provide that to us.

C Mac D
07-16-2009, 05:29 PM
"vikesfan87" wrote:

We all know what happened the last time we drafted a guy with "character issues," don't we ladies and gentlemen? This offense needed some spice to go with Peterson and Harvin can (hopefully) provide that to us.

I don't know what happened.... did we win a Super Bowl?

JellyBean2144
07-16-2009, 05:38 PM
"MVIKING7" wrote:

He's ok in my book, unless he screws up. Can't go by what if or maybe's. Let the guy prove or disprove himself before passing judgement. In my opinion, I think he'll be a keeper.

Exactly. I will wait until the season starts before making any comments about Harvin.

Marrdro
07-17-2009, 11:53 PM
I bought his jersey.
That must mean something cause I've never wasted my money on a players jersey from that side of the ball yet.

Purple Floyd
07-18-2009, 07:54 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I bought his jersey.
That must mean something cause I've never wasted my money on a players jersey from that side of the ball yet.

You can always / 3 once you realize you love our newest QB ( Once he signs) ;D ;D

Purple Floyd
07-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Too bad for him his greatest fan is a nut job ready to be signed, sealed and delivered to the psych ward. He has some PR work to do.

snowinapril
07-18-2009, 08:26 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Too bad for him his greatest fan is a nut job ready to be signed, sealed and delivered to the psych ward. He has some PR work to do.

You are referring to TW, not the gator guy that was in the opening post of this thread......
correct?

For anyone that might have missed the meltdown thread, it could be difficult to figure out who you were talking about!

Marrdro
07-19-2009, 12:09 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I bought his jersey.

You can always / 3 once you realize you love our newest QB ( Once he signs) ;D ;D

No way in hell I grow to love that cat.
;)

Garland Greene
07-19-2009, 12:30 AM
"gatorsfirst" wrote:

-James

Sorry IO missed your post. Welcome and I am glad you came. I have had some concerns but I can say that i am very excited about having him here, Snd I think he will be great!

SamOchoCinco
07-19-2009, 12:36 AM
"gagarr" wrote:

agreed.

maybe he's the 2nd coming of benard berrian?

i_bleed_purple
07-19-2009, 01:29 AM
"SamOchoCinco" wrote:

"gagarr" wrote:

agreed.

maybe he's the 2nd coming of benard berrian?

Kind of an odd comparason, I wouldn't really think of Berrian as some kind of great blessing to our team.
He's a good receiver and thats it.

Redrouster
07-19-2009, 04:12 AM
I still think the team needs to keep a tight hold on him for the WHOLE season and even more so if he finds sucess. I can see him under control and making a difference on the Vikes. Then he has a breakout game about week 8 or so with 2 touchdowns, 150 yards receiving, ect. Then, he gets some confidence and then team backs off him a little because they figure he will be ok and then WHAM, DUI or something. I guess I am nervous about him. I hope he proves me wrong!

Purple Floyd
07-19-2009, 07:58 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

You are referring to TW, not the gator guy that was in the opening post of this thread......
correct?

For anyone that might have missed the meltdown thread, it could be difficult to figure out who you were talking about!

Yes. Sorry, I should have made it more clear-and no offense to the topic starter.