PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper wants Moss to be Traded?

ADubya26
02-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Posted on Thu, Feb. 10, 2005

Moss' time to go?

Culpepper says trade might be a solution

BY DON SEEHOLZER

Pioneer Press

In the 3½ weeks since the Vikings' season ended, Randy Moss and his future in Minnesota have been the talk of the NFL.

Wednesday, the strongest words came from Hawaii, where quarterback Daunte Culpepper weighed in on the Moss trade rumors following a practice for Sunday's Pro Bowl.

"He's my good friend, but you almost get to thinking that maybe enough is enough," Culpepper told the Associated Press. "And maybe the Vikings' organization has had enough."

Moss angered teammates when he walked off the field with two seconds remaining in a Jan. 2 loss at Washington and drew a $10,000 NFL fine for pretending to moon Green Bay fans the following week after scoring a touchdown.

The Vikings have denied they are shopping their star receiver, but that hasn't stopped speculation they will begin entertaining offers for Moss before the NFL trading period begins March 2. The Baltimore Ravens, Oakland Raiders and New York Jets reportedly are interested.

"It's not my decision, what happens with Randy," Culpepper said. "The Vikings organization makes that decision, and whatever they do, that's what's going to happen."

Earlier Wednesday, Vikings coach Mike Tice, in his most extensive comments on the subject, did his best to squelch the trade rumors.

"I just came out of our first extensive personnel meeting of the offseason," he said. "And the first line — players to be traded — was blank. I love Randy Moss. Where all this trade stuff is coming from, I don't know."

Tice attributed the rampant speculation to the way the season ended and the incidents in Green Bay and especially Washington, which he said was addressed with Moss that night.

"To me, it's a moot point," Tice said. "Randy and his agent are not demanding a trade and we are not looking to trade him. We are not shopping Randy Moss."

Moss, meanwhile, made his first public comments on a possible trade in a radio interview with KFAN that was posted to the station's Web site Wednesday.

"I don't really get caught up in trade rumors, 'cause this is a business," he said. "If I get traded from here... I'm gonna probably be a little sore, a little mad, but not at the organization — probably just because I'm leaving here, and (losing) the love that I've developed here of growing to love the game and Minnesota."

"If I get traded... I get traded," Moss said later in the same interview, which was recorded Friday as a promotion for his celebrity bass fishing tournament in June. "If not, then I'm going to do whatever I can do in my will to hopefully get something started."

If Moss sounds conflicted about whether he wants to stay or go, his agent said mixed emotions are involved.

"I think he's just taking some time off and really thinking about it right now," agent Dante DiTrapano said. "Like he said, he's learned to love the city of Minneapolis and has a lot of ties there. I think it would be bittersweet if he were traded, but there are a couple of teams and a couple of places he would like to go if it was possible."

DiTrapano declined to identify those teams or to make Moss available for a telephone interview.

Culpepper indicated he would be fine with whatever decision the Vikings make.

"There are a lot of things we can do to improve on defense, and some of that you might be able to do with a trade," he said. "We've also got a lot of guys who can get the job done if we just play together. That's the most important thing: all of us playing together as a team."

Briefly: Former Detroit Lions assistant Kevin Higgins got his second interview for the Vikings' vacant quarterbacks coach job Wednesday, spending the day with Tice's staff and accompanying them to dinner. Former San Francisco 49ers assistant Rich Olson will be in for his second interview today, and Tice plans to have his first choice have dinner Monday with Culpepper before making the hire official.

VKG4LFE
02-10-2005, 12:32 PM
I don't think he wants him to be traded, he just said that it may be the best for the team or something along those lines!

zakvikes2k
02-10-2005, 01:29 PM
It would help the situation a lot if Moss's teammates stood up for him and said it's important to keep him, so all this trade talk dies down. Coach Tice has done so, saying he actually "loves" Randy. Culpepper shouldn't be stubborn, by playing it cool, when he knows he needs Randy to keep his success and the team's success up. Culpepper should say he definitely wants Randy to stay, cause the team wouldn't be the same without him.

NeoVikesTX
02-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Watch the interview and it seems totally different than how that writer is portraying it. I watched the interview and Daunte very much wants Randy Moss with the Vikings.

Don't believe everything you read, writers can make a story go any way they want it to. This article is recieving a lot of attention because it has Daunte wanting Moss to be traded. This is not a story if you have actually seen the interview and heard Daunte talk.

BigK
02-10-2005, 01:37 PM
First of all Daunte did not say he wanted Moss traded,he's just going along the PR highway.He said he wants Randy to stay,if he goes they can be as successful,but it will be far more difficult if he leaves and alot easier if he stays due his talent. At least that 's what he said last night on Best Damn.This is just people misinterpreting and the crap weasel media misconstruing things as usual.

mvikes84
02-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Culpepper said "maybe enough is enough". that's a stab in the back to Moss. If it weren't for Moss, Cul woudn't have had half of the success that he has had. Talk about an ungrateful jerk!! I'd trade Cul before I would trade Moss.

Bdubya
02-10-2005, 08:54 PM
"mvikes84" wrote:

Culpepper said "maybe enough is enough". that's a stab in the back to Moss. If it weren't for Moss, Cul woudn't have had half of the success that he has had. Talk about an ungrateful jerk!! I'd trade Cul before I would trade Moss.

Hmmm, thats a tough one, but I think I would probably trade Moss before I traded Culpepper.

jackyl
02-10-2005, 10:35 PM
"mvikes84" wrote:

Culpepper said "maybe enough is enough".

he then followed it up by saying "And maybe the Vikings' organization has had enough." .... not that HE had.

so-cal vike
02-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Culpepper doesn't want Moss to be traded.
Moss doesn't want to be traded.
Most of fans don't want Moss to be traded.
Moss ISN'T going to be traded.

If it does happen, then so be it, but it's not going to happen, so enough already.

XTAP59
02-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Moss makes the offense go, not Culpepper. Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Jeff george, and Gus Frerotte had career games and seasons throwing the ball to Randy Moss. Culpepper has had that luxury as well.
When Moss is out of the game, Culpeppers stats went way South. When Culpepper was out of games, the offense actually stepped up with Frerotte rallying the team.
Not a knock on Culpepper here, just stating the facts. Moss makes the offense go.

mvikes84
02-11-2005, 10:19 PM
"XTAP59" wrote:

Moss makes the offense go, not Culpepper. Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Jeff george, and Gus Frerotte had career games and seasons throwing the ball to Randy Moss. Culpepper has had that luxury as well.
When Moss is out of the game, Culpeppers stats went way South. When Culpepper was out of games, the offense actually stepped up with Frerotte rallying the team.
Not a knock on Culpepper here, just stating the facts. Moss makes the offense go. Well said XTAP59. I couldn't agree with you more.

mvikes84
02-13-2005, 08:59 PM
"BigK" wrote:

First of all Daunte did not say he wanted Moss traded,he's just going along the PR highway.He said he wants Randy to stay,if he goes they can be as successful,but it will be far more difficult if he leaves and alot easier if he stays due his talent. At least that 's what he said last night on Best gol 'darnit.This is just people misinterpreting and the crap weasel media misconstruing things as usual. What about Culpepper saying he's "done with Moss's antics, he's not going to put up with it anymore". I suppose you blame the "media" for that too!! Who does Cul think he is? It's not his decision to "put up with it", it's management's decision. Culpepper is just jealous because he is and always will be overshadowed by Moss. If Cul doesn't want to "put up with it" then he should be the one to leave!!!

snowinapril
02-13-2005, 10:37 PM
I finally heard DC say that he wants Moss back. It was on ESPN when they were interviewing McNabb, Vick and DC.

DC said he wants Moss back. I heard it straight from the big guys mouth. Now I believe him.

He said that it is not up to him but he wants him back.

jackyl
02-13-2005, 11:17 PM
"mvikes84" wrote:

Culpepper is just jealous because he is and always will be overshadowed by Moss.

LMFAO Pep has nothing to be jealous of... he's making way more money.

truvikefan
02-13-2005, 11:47 PM
"XTAP59" wrote:

Not a knock on Culpepper here, just stating the facts. Moss makes the offense go.

I cant Disagree with you anymore Culpepper is the leader of this squad. Culpeper can run the show without Moss. Im not saying i want him traded but Culpepper is the man he has such great talent and he is still getting better. Notice how he spreads the ball around to everyone. He still very young. Moss right now is in his prime, id say he has 5 more dominant years if that. You got to be thinking of the future. I mean right now we can get two #1's and a dominant defensive player. Maybe from San Fran or Atlanta or Baltimore. Dont get me wrong im a huge Moss fan, Id like to see him finish his career with Minnesota but i was there when alan page left and i felt like i was gonna die.

Burley81
02-14-2005, 12:48 PM
We will be a better OVERALL team, like I said in the other 84 Moss threads. I hate how some Vikings fans just love Moss, MOSS THIS, MOSS THAT, to me, that is not a true fan. Just my opinion though.

mvikes84
02-14-2005, 08:17 PM
"jackyl" wrote:

"mvikes84" wrote:

Culpepper is just jealous because he is and always will be overshadowed by Moss.

LMFAO Pep has nothing to be jealous of... he's making way more money. Culcraper is jealous because he and everybody else knows that Moss is the best player on the team!

jackyl
02-14-2005, 10:07 PM
"mvikes84" wrote:

"jackyl" wrote:

"mvikes84" wrote:

LMFAO Pep has nothing to be jealous of... he's making way more money. Culcraper is jealous because he and everybody else knows that Moss is the best player on the team!

Yeah... Daunte lives acrossed the street from me. I see him up every night losing sleep over it. :lol:

so-cal vike
02-14-2005, 11:12 PM
"mvikes84" wrote:

"jackyl" wrote:

"mvikes84" wrote:

Pep has done nothing to earn the name "culcraper," as a Vikings fan you should know better. If you believe that Moss is the better player, that's fine, it's arguable, but it's cool. Just show the best QB in the NFC a little respect ok.

ultravikingfan
02-15-2005, 12:03 AM
"mvikes84" wrote:

"jackyl" wrote:

"mvikes84" wrote:

This is for you! http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/violent/080.gif

XTAP59
02-15-2005, 09:20 AM
"truvikefan" wrote:

"XTAP59" wrote:

I cant Disagree with you anymore Culpepper is the leader of this squad. Culpeper can run the show without Moss. Im not saying i want him traded but Culpepper is the man he has such great talent and he is still getting better. Notice how he spreads the ball around to everyone. He still very young. Moss right now is in his prime, id say he has 5 more dominant years if that. You got to be thinking of the future. I mean right now we can get two #1's and a dominant defensive player. Maybe from San Fran or Atlanta or Baltimore. Dont get me wrong im a huge Moss fan, Id like to see him finish his career with Minnesota but i was there when alan page left and i felt like i was gonna die.

You may disagree all you want. The stats clearly show that when Moss is out of the game, Culpeppers numbers are average. When Moss is in the game, Culpeppers numbers are all pro level. I posted earlier that Culpepper this year was on pace to break Marino's TD record as well as his yardage record. Then Moss got hurt. Look at peps numbers the first 6 games this year, then the 5 games Moss sat out, and then the remaining games when Moss did come back, but was slowed by the injury. Moss makes the offense go.

Yes, Culpepper is the leader of the squad, but I commented that Moss makes the offense go. There is a difference. And yes, pep can run the show when Moss isn't in, but his numbers are average compared to when Moss is in the game.
And who said they want Moss traded? Or Culpepper?
Yes, Moss is in his prime. Drafted in 98. Culpepper as well, drafted in 99. Both are in their prime.

ADubya26
02-15-2005, 11:25 AM
I dont want either one traded, but if I had to pick one I would say Culpepper. Other mediocre QBs have looked like Pro Bowlers with Moss. Without Moss, Culpepper turns into a decent QB.

elgordo
02-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Dante just said that it might be better for Moss :rr: to move on...

he didn't say that he didn't want him on the team

DemonicViking
02-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Trade Culpepper..? I suppose that wouldn't be a complete loss.. then we could bring Cryin' Ryan Leaf out of retirement.

Other players gotta step it up sometimes, Pep can't always do it alone. Sometimes it's one or two players that make the difference, but I like how the system works for teams New England.. they get the most out of who they have and are good enough to get the job done.

cajunvike
02-15-2005, 12:29 PM
How about if we trade....NEITHER of them....obviously they complement each other! Yes, it's true that Moss could find another guy who can throw it deep (not Pennington, though) easier than Pep could find another Moss...BUT trading either of them would NOT bring us comparable value, so to suggest trading either of them is an exercise in futility...especially when we have the cap room to buy any FA defender out there...rather than trading players, we should be focusing on acquiring proven FAs for our defense so that we can win now!

cajunvike
02-15-2005, 12:29 PM
How about if we trade....NEITHER of them....obviously they complement each other! Yes, it's true that Moss could find another guy who can throw it deep (not Pennington, though) easier than Pep could find another Moss...BUT trading either of them would NOT bring us comparable value, so to suggest trading either of them is an exercise in futility...especially when we have the cap room to buy any FA defender out there...rather than trading players, we should be focusing on acquiring proven FAs for our defense so that we can win now!

VKG4LFE
02-15-2005, 12:33 PM
"elgordo" wrote:

What's this...someone else actually READ what Culpepper said, or Watched him in his interviews and didn't twist his words around!! Thank you elgordo!!

Mr Anderson
02-15-2005, 12:53 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12576

Look at those stats and answer this:
Why trade someone who has put up those numbers and who we still owe $36 million?

If the Vikings organization wants to stop his "antics" on and off the field, Coach Tice really needs to stop being such a softy and put his gigantic foot down and tell him he needs to stop or theyre benching him.

and see how moss reacts to that. If he acts poorly after that and demands a trade or pulls some more marijuana-meter-maid BS then we trade him.

As for now, keep #84

VKG4LFE
02-15-2005, 01:01 PM
"Mr Anderson" wrote:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12576

Look at those stats and answer this:
Why trade someone who has put up those numbers and who we still owe $36 million?

If the Vikings organization wants to stop his "antics" on and off the field, Coach Tice really needs to stop being such a softy and put his gigantic foot down and tell him he needs to stop or theyre benching him.

and see how moss reacts to that. If he acts poorly after that and demands a trade or pulls some more marijuana-meter-maid BS then we trade him.

As for now, keep #84

Did you mean his GINORMOUS foot down!! (I loved the movie Elf!!)

mvikes84
02-15-2005, 08:42 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

"elgordo" wrote:

What's this...someone else actually READ what Culpepper said, or Watched him in his interviews and didn't twist his words around!! Thank you elgordo!! Dante "just" said it might be better for Moss to move on!! Nothing like minimizing a direct statement. If that doesn't sound like he doesn't want Moss on the team then I don't know what the guy could say to make it more clear!! How about if he said, "I hate Randy Moss!! Randy Moss can go **** himself!! If I ever see Randy Moss again it will be too soon!! Randy Moss can go to ****!!! I will never play another down on this team as long as Moss is on it! Moss *****, he's an *******!! I'd retire before I'd play another down with that *******!! I'll kill that sob if I ever see him again!!!" I suppose if he said that then you would say that "he didn't say that he didn't want him on the team" or that "the media is just twisting his words around."

VKG4LFE
02-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Yeah, you're right mvikes. You have me figured out.

snowinapril
02-16-2005, 12:51 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I finally heard DC say that he wants Moss back. It was on ESPN when they were interviewing McNabb, Vick and DC.

DC said he wants Moss back. I heard it straight from the big guys mouth. Now I believe him.

He said that it is not up to him but he wants him back.

I wrote this on the first page of this thread.

As far as getting rid of DC, no freaking way! DC is consistant and talented. You don't find QBs like that all that often. He has all you want in a QB.

Moss is also great and I don't want him traded.

Look at what the Eagles did the last 4 years without a good WR. They went a long ways without WRs. TO was definitely and upgrade but was out during the playoffs. Every team is balanced differently. Eagles have D and O. But we right now are more O than D. Look at the Superbowl teams and you will see you need a balance to win. There are other ways to get the D we need and to keep Moss at the same time. We need to get it done.

I think as far as DC wanting something traded, HE WANTS MOSS' ATTITUDE packaged up and sent to the Patriots. He seems like he wants Moss to change his attitude and that is IT.

This is what I think he is saying.

Randy we want you back but don't come back unless you are leaving your attitude at home because it, not you, is hurting our team.

arialassault84
02-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Amen truvikefan, Moss is the most feared player in the history of the NFL. That being said he is also the biggest team divider I've ever seen. The team shouldn't stand up for Moss, Moss should stand up for his team. The key word in all the talks is "TEAM". Its a team sport and moss isn't selfish he's immature, getting lazy, ans becoming very easy to frustrate. If trading my favorite player (Moss) will get my favorite team (Vikes) to the Superbowl, I'm all for it. By the way Culpepper is the chance we have at a Superbowl and Randy himself said that Pepp was the leader. "We brought you here to be our leader, so lead us Daunte!" from the mouth of Randy Moss.

cajunvike
02-16-2005, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with Moss-es leading us to the Promised Land...either him or Daunte need to do it soon...the window is closing!

renovikesfan
02-16-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't think Culpepper wants Moss gone. I'm sure he'd like him to adjust his attitude, but that's not the same as wanting him gone. As XTAP said, Moss is Pep's best asset. Asking or wanting Moss to be traded would be a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. He's just playing the game right now, but he definitely knows who butters his bread...

This whole stupid rumor was created by the Media, more specifically, the "ESP" Network. I'm so sick of their crap. They stopped reporting the news and starting making the news.

Prophet
01-10-2007, 05:13 AM
My guess is that they will both leave.

Zeus
01-10-2007, 07:19 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

My guess is that they will both leave.

When are you leaving the country again?

=Z=

NodakPaul
01-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Holy pooh.
This is an old thread to dig up.
Shame on you Acumen! ;D

whackthepack
01-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Acumen are you that bored with the off season already?

Prophet
01-10-2007, 08:35 AM
No, just stayed up all night last night and the board was dead.
Time to do a little dredging on a topic that is annoying and tired.

ultravikingfan
01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
I can't wait until somebody posts like this is new news!
That is so funny!