PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper Interview about Moss...

VikesFan111
02-10-2005, 12:11 AM
It looks like Daunte isn't so sure whether Moss will be back next year...
It also looks like Daunte kind of doesn't want him back...

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
February 9, 2005
KAPOLEI, Hawaii (AP) -- Though Daunte Culpepper can hardly imagine the Vikings' offense without Randy Moss, the Pro Bowl quarterback knows he might have thrown his last pass to his favorite target.

Moss' future in Minnesota is in doubt after the least impressive season in his seven-year career. After years of ignoring the receiver's eccentricities and excusing his misbehaviors, the Vikings seem to be fed up with Moss -- and even Culpepper understands.

``He's my good friend, but you almost get to thinking that maybe enough is enough,' Culpepper said after Wednesday's practice for his third Pro Bowl appearance in five seasons. ``And maybe the Vikings organization has had enough.'

ADVERTISEMENT

Moss caught just 49 passes for 767 yards this season, though he still scored 13 touchdowns. A hamstring injury limited him for much of the year, and he went five games without catching a pass midway through the season.

Moss then infuriated his teammates and coaches by walking off the field early while the Vikings attempted an onside kick in the regular season finale at Washington.

And though he played with a sprained ankle in the postseason, he drew more ire -- and a $10,000 fine from the NFL -- for pretending to moon Green Bay fans after scoring the final touchdown in Minnesota's playoff victory at Lambeau Field.

Moss was left off the NFC's Pro Bowl roster for just the second time in his career, and Culpepper hasn't spoken to him since Minnesota's season ended with a 27-14 playoff loss to Philadelphia last month.

``It's not my decision, what happens with Randy,' Culpepper said. ``The Vikings organization makes that decision, and whatever they do, that's what's going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised, no matter what happens.'

Many league observers believe the Vikings will attempt to trade Moss, if they haven't tried already this offseason -- though his hefty contract and extensive collection of baggage could make it difficult. So far, team officials have denied the widespread rumors about ongoing trade talks regarding Moss, saying the team hasn't completed its offseason personnel meetings.

Vikings center Matt Birk, who will play in his fourth Pro Bowl in seven seasons, said the club sometimes must ``take the good with the bad' when Moss is involved.

It's difficult to say what a trade might bring to Minnesota. When the San Francisco 49ers traded Terrell Owens last winter, they got a second-round pick from Baltimore -- but when that deal was invalidated by the league, they got only defensive lineman Brandon Whiting from Philadelphia.

But Owens was still under contract to San Francisco only because of a paperwork mistake that prevented him from becoming a free agent, while Moss is in the middle of a lucrative long-term contract. The Vikings almost certainly would need a solid veteran and a high draft pick to be persuaded to give up one of the NFL's best playmakers.

Culpepper and Moss have been together throughout the quarterback's career, but Culpepper has been frustrated by Moss' unique style. Culpepper even has been seen yelling at the receiver occasionally.

Still, Moss' abilities are a big reason why Culpepper has become a star in the Vikings' powerful offense. Culpepper set franchise records with 4,717 yards passing and 39 touchdowns while completing 69.2 percent of his throws.

``We had a great year, and nothing about Randy's situation should take away from that,' Culpepper said. ``I was blessed. It just shows that hard work pays off.'

And that's why Culpepper is ambivalent about Moss' possible departure. He believes Minnesota should keep together as much of that offense as possible, reserving its biggest changes for the defense.

``There are a lot of things we can do to improve on defense, and some of that you might be able to do with a trade,' Culpepper said. ``We've also got a lot of guys who can get the job done if we just play together. That's the most important thing: all of us playing together as a team.'

VikesFan111
02-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Just watched The BEST DAMN SPORTS Show...Culpepper was on there and his statements kind of differed from the above. He seemed a little more positive about keeping Moss.

I am gonna have an anxiety attack or somethin!

ultravikingfan
02-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Maybe because the first was in print, where they can skew his tendencies?

triedandtruevikesfan
02-10-2005, 12:41 AM
gotta love the media :roll:

NeoVikesTX
02-10-2005, 12:52 AM
I saw the interview on The Best Damn Sports Show Period and in no way did it seem to me that Daunte wanted Randy gone. He seemed very upbeat and confident that Moss would stay a Viking.

The media is really trying to start a story here. I think they like the buzz they get when fans of other teams think they could land Randy Moss on their team. Dream on!

chennegar
02-10-2005, 09:17 AM
I have to agree that the media is trying to start something. I saw an interview of Culpepper shortly after Linehan departed where he basically lobbied for Moss to stay. The media is trying to start some crap.

cajunvike
02-10-2005, 09:25 AM
F the media!!!

chennegar
02-10-2005, 09:27 AM
here here cajun

zakvikes2k
02-10-2005, 11:16 AM
They are always trying to make the Vikings look all distorted and $hit. It's as if the media wants us to look like the dumb team of the league. I'm sick of the media and all of their crap. Screw the media.

PurpleRide
02-10-2005, 11:27 AM
And people wonder why Moss doesnt speak to the media. He knows they are going to twist his words. Lets face it folks, we are getting a new owner with a new spirt in the Vikings, we win the super bowl WITH Randy Moss!

Vikadelic
02-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Seeing that Daunte was actually "QUOTED" I would have to say that those words had to come from his mouth. If anything was manipulated it would have to come from what was omitted from Daunte's comments. Sometimes by leaving out bits and pieces they can make something out of nothing.

If the case is that they just made up his quotes, then Daunte should be all over it and the writer should publish a retraction.

mvikes84
02-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Culpepper said "maybe enough is enough"!! That seems to be a pretty clear statement to me. He may as well stuck a knife right into Randy's back! Culpeppers numbers wouldn't be near what they are without Randy Moss!! I say get rid of Cul instead of Moss!!

Commander Ed
02-10-2005, 10:46 PM
"zakvikes2k" wrote:

They are always trying to make the Vikings look all distorted and $hit. It's as if the media wants us to look like the dumb team of the league. I'm sick of the media and all of their crap. Screw the media.

They distort anyone in order to get a story. Not just in sports, either.

Foreman44
02-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Great photo of Joe Kapp Commander.

XTAP59
02-11-2005, 11:54 AM
The media sucks. They hate randy moss for he made them look like fools from day one on the field. I believe they have a personal vendetta against him.

so-cal vike
02-11-2005, 12:10 PM
"mvikes84" wrote:

Culpepper said "maybe enough is enough"!! That seems to be a pretty clear statement to me. He may as well stuck a knife right into Randy's back! Culpeppers numbers wouldn't be near what they are without Randy Moss!! I say get rid of Cul instead of Moss!!

I wouldn't critcize Culpepper too much for his comments, if indeed he did say that. He's right, maybe enough is enough. I know the media twists everything Randy says and does to make him out to be the bad guy, but Moss needs to show a little more class when handling them. He's shown he can lead the Vikes, maybe it's time he made that his top priority.

Watch any Culpepper interview, his attitude is that of one who wants Moss to stay. If he seem a bit frustrated it's probably because he's tired of being asked the same question over and over.

Moss is going nowhere.

chennegar
02-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Very nice take so-cal. I couldn't agree more. Culpepper knows what side his bread is buttered on. What QB in their right mind would really want a Randy Moss taken away?

snowinapril
02-11-2005, 06:12 PM
I saw the interview with DC on The Best Darn Sports Show and my take was different than anyone else on this site.

I listened and didn't hear DC say anything like I want him to stay.

He sounded upset and almost scolded Randy by saying enough is enough.

His attitude was more like Randy don't come back if you aren't going to shape up and play as a team.

He said of Randy's abilities that he is a great player and anyone would be blessed to have him on their team.

He gave Randy props but I never heard the words specifically that "I want him to stay."

If it was me and the team was thinking about trading the best WR, the one that made my career so far, I would be saying I don't want him traded at all. I would be putting my neck on the line. I didn't see that at all.

Wouldn't you lobby for him if you had the platform to do so?

That is just my opinion. I am not trying to be the glass is half empty guy but I am trying to take off my purple tinted glasses so I can see more clearly. Hopefully Moss is asking himself, "Am I really that bad that my QB won't lobby for me, I better kick myself in the ARSE and start playing every down."

http://www.christophersphotography.net/vikings/prplpwr.jpg

vikingsdiva
02-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Look what they did with Coach Green. Actually most coaches become so irritated with the press that they become downright short with them. ESPN seems to be really good at distorting info lately as well. I saw an interview with Coach Vermeil on the NFL network and he said 90 percent of the media is good. I have to disagree. They love to distort facts. I swear they get a bonus or salray raise from each life they can screw up.

"XTAP59" wrote:

The media sucks. They hate randy moss for he made them look like fools from day one on the field. I believe they have a personal vendetta against him.

cajunvike
02-11-2005, 06:46 PM
THEY WISH!!!!

Jets' Edwards thinks he could handle Moss
Newsday
Newsday's Ken Berger reports that Jets coach Herman Edwards told WFAN radio yesterday that he wouldn't have a problem with coaching Randy Moss.

THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!

Culpepper not pushing for Moss trade
St. Paul Pioneer Press (registration required)
The Pioneer Press' Sean Jensen reports that Daunte Culpepper is hoping that Randy Moss will be back with the Vikings next season. Culpepper, who has been critical of Moss' behavior, said yesterday that "I want him as my teammate".

renovikesfan
02-11-2005, 07:07 PM
The Media likes to twist a story to make it juicier...of that, there's no doubt. BUT...having said that, Moss has most definitely made his proverbial bed during his NFL career, and it now looks as if he's having to fulfill the obligation of laying in it.

Yes, the Media has blown some of his actions and statements out of proportion, but if he hadn't done or said those things in the first place (ie. squirting refs w/ water bottles, playing games with traffic cops, etc, etc, ad nauseum), there would be nothing to distort.

I've defended Moss to countless people who tried bashing on him after hearing the Media's version of the "truth", and I'm kinda getting tired of it myself...I can't help but think it has to be magnified for Culpepper.

vikingsdiva
02-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I do have a hard time with the discussion on Moss. I think bottom line :I wish he'd behave! That's it. He has issues and he has a temper, but I think deep down he probably has some good qualities beyond receiver abilities. But he is THE BEST wide receiver out there. It'll be a challenge to play as well without him.
When I saw Culpepper being interviewed on Moss on Tv he looked emotionally drained as "You'll say what you are going to say about it, so why encourage this subject?" I draw the line with the Media when it comes to Culpepper. He is a good guy. They have villianized him in the last week, and I respect that he didn't break the reporter's legs in half with his gigantic upper body strength!

"renovikesfan" wrote:

The Media likes to twist a story to make it juicier...of that, there's no doubt. BUT...having said that, Moss has most definitely made his proverbial bed during his NFL career, and it now looks as if he's having to fulfill the obligation of laying in it.

Yes, the Media has blown some of his actions and statements out of proportion, but if he hadn't done or said those things in the first place (ie. squirting refs w/ water bottles, playing games with traffic cops, etc, etc, ad nauseum), there would be nothing to distort.

I've defended Moss to countless people who tried bashing on him after hearing the Media's version of the "truth", and I'm kinda getting tired of it myself...I can't help but think it has to be magnified for Culpepper.

Paulbedy59
02-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I think its got more to do with D.C. being fed up getting asked about it all the time than it does to do with him wanting moss gone.

mvikes84
02-13-2005, 09:46 PM
What about Culpepper saying he is "done with Moss's antics, he's not going to put up with it anymore"? Please don't blame that on the "media" too!! Who does Culpepper think he is? It's not his decision!! I think Culpepper is just jealous because Moss gets most of the attention. If Cul doesn't want to "put up with it anymore", then he should be the one to leave!!!

snowinapril
02-13-2005, 11:47 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I saw the interview with DC on The Best Darn Sports Show and my take was different than anyone else on this site.

I listened and didn't hear DC say anything like I want him to stay.

He sounded upset and almost scolded Randy by saying enough is enough.

His attitude was more like Randy don't come back if you aren't going to shape up and play as a team.

He said of Randy's abilities that he is a great player and anyone would be blessed to have him on their team.

He gave Randy props but I never heard the words specifically that "I want him to stay."

If it was me and the team was thinking about trading the best WR, the one that made my career so far, I would be saying I don't want him traded at all. I would be putting my neck on the line. I didn't see that at all.

Wouldn't you lobby for him if you had the platform to do so?

That is just my opinion. I am not trying to be the glass is half empty guy but I am trying to take off my purple tinted glasses so I can see more clearly. Hopefully Moss is asking himself, "Am I really that bad that my QB won't lobby for me, I better kick myself in the ARSE and start playing every down."

I heard DC say it in the interview before the Pro Bowl tonight that he wants Moss to stay. He said I want him to stay but it is not up to me. His attitude was different. He was straight forward and straight up.