PDA

View Full Version : Vikes to Open Season with Steelers?



COJOMAY
02-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Charlie Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press believes that the Vikings first game next season may be with the Steelers because they were SB champs and Vikes have Adrian Peterson. Could be a big TV draw.

NodakPaul
02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
The Steelers will host the first game of the season on Thursday, September 10.
But there is no reason to believe that they will open against the Vikings.
Walters is pulling that out of his ass.

SamOchoCinco
02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
i would love to see that!

tomlin coaching against us! that would be really fun to see!

ultravikingfan
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
"SamOchoCinco" wrote:


i would love to see that!

tomlin coaching against us! that would be really fun to see!


You're going to see it either way since we play the Steelers in '09.

midgensa
02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Seriously people ... not that difficult to know the schedule and know we will see this whether it is week one or later.
I think it is possible, but they are more likely to go with Steelers v. Chargers I would think since they are two AFC teams and teams that should be in the running next season. Or the most likely matchup would be the Ravens ... in a rematch of the AFC Title game ... they love to do that shit.

i_bleed_purple
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
"midgensa" wrote:


Seriously people ... not that difficult to know the schedule and know we will see this whether it is week one or later.
I think it is possible, but they are more likely to go with Steelers v. Chargers I would think since they are two AFC teams and teams that should be in the running next season. Or the most likely matchup would be the Ravens ... in a rematch of the AFC Title game ... they love to do that shit.


2008: WAS @ NYG good matchup of division rivals
2007: NO @ IND
good matchup of the superbowl champ, and a team that was supposed to do well
2006: MIA @ PIT superbowl winning steelers, vs. the overacheiving 9-7 Dolphins
2005: OAK @ NE Pats vs Moss = good matchup
2004: IND @ NE Colts/Pats, a great rivalry for the past few years
2003: NYJ @ WAS (neither won the superbowl the previous year)

what that tells me is 4/5 of the day one matchups have been intraconference matchups.
There has been one divisional game, and the rest were thought to be good matchups.
Steelers/Vikings could very well be a possibility, more likely if TJ gets replaced and the media thinks we'll be a contender this season.
However, Midgensa brings up a good point, PIT/BAl is a very real possibility (but IMO, they'll save that game for late in the season, as it could have huge playoff implications)

Pittsburghs home games are:
Baltimore
Cleveland
Cincinnati
San Diego
Oakland
Green Bay
Minnesota
Tennessee

I don't think they'll open up with Cle/Cin/Oak or GB, those won't attract big audiences.
To be honest, the vikings don't attract a huge audience either unless its a huge rival game. (hell, we had a hard time selling out a playoff game, what does that tell you?)

I personally like PIT/SD as the opener, since PIT/TEN will probably be a key game in determining seeding in the playoffs, they'll want to save that untill later.
SD could also be in that boat, which is why I could see MIN playing.

threepete21
02-04-2009, 04:58 PM
I believe the superbowl champ opens at home on opening thursday.
It is the kickoff to the season.
They made that deal and got rid of the week 17 monday night game.
that would eliminate the WAS/NYG game.

Tad7
02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Don't they alternate whether a team opens at home or on the road every season?

Purple Floyd
02-04-2009, 06:03 PM
This is great. Now Childress can school Tomlin on how coaching is really done.

gamecocksbaseball31
02-05-2009, 12:18 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:


This is great. Now Childress can school Tomlin on how coaching is really done.

haha enter sarcasm now. ;D

singersp
02-05-2009, 07:28 AM
"Tad7" wrote:


Don't they alternate whether a team opens at home or on the road every season?


Absolutely not!

In the past 12 years, GB has opened at home 10 times & has been on the road only 2 times.
Of those 10 games, 6 have been against division foes. Twice each against against MN, CHI & DET.

In the past 12 years, MN has opened at home 6 times & has been on the road 6 times.
Of those 6 games, only 1has
been against a division foe (CHI).

singersp
02-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Could the Vikings Be Part of the 2009 Regular Season Opener? (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2009/2/4/748899/could-the-vikings-be-part)

by Gonzo on Feb 4, 2009 9:06 AM CST
dailynorseman.com


As we all know, the Pittsburgh Steelers won their record-setting sixth Super Bowl this past Sunday, as they knocked off the Arizona Cardinals 27-23 in an absolute thriller.
This also means that the Steelers will begin the season on a Thursday night in Pittsburgh a few days before the rest of the regular season gets underway....

Prophet
02-05-2009, 09:07 AM
"singersp" wrote:


Could the Vikings Be Part of the 2009 Regular Season Opener? (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2009/2/4/748899/could-the-vikings-be-part)

by Gonzo on Feb 4, 2009 9:06 AM CST
dailynorseman.com


As we all know, the Pittsburgh Steelers won their record-setting sixth Super Bowl this past Sunday, as they knocked off the Arizona Cardinals 27-23 in an absolute thriller.
This also means that the Steelers will begin the season on a Thursday night in Pittsburgh a few days before the rest of the regular season gets underway....




Looking at the 2009 schedule, the Steelers are slated to have home games against the following teams:

Baltimore
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Green Bay
Minnesota
Oakland
San Diego
Tennessee

When you look at the list I would say it will probably be the Titans or the Vikings.

oaklandzoo24
02-05-2009, 09:09 AM
How bout Baltimore?
They had really controversial games against them throughout the season.
Plus it always draws a crowd.
One of the roughest games you see all year.

Prophet
02-05-2009, 09:18 AM
"oaklandzoo24" wrote:


How bout Baltimore?
They had really controversial games against them throughout the season.
Plus it always draws a crowd.
One of the roughest games you see all year.


That's actually the matchup that I would like to see most for the opener.

bleedpurple
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
"Prophet" wrote:


"oaklandzoo24" wrote:


How bout Baltimore?
They had really controversial games against them throughout the season.
Plus it always draws a crowd.
One of the roughest games you see all year.


That's actually the matchup that I would like to see most for the opener.


yea i dont wanna open on thursday.. i like sunday openings for our team... but if we get favre do you think it could be us and the pack?.. or would that be another monday night opening.?

COJOMAY
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
To many story lines for the NFL not to do this one first:

Tomlin/Childress
Pro-Bowl MVP (I hope) vs Steelers
Super Bowl Champ vs NFLN Division champ
Etc. etc.
(Especially is Favre is Vikes QB)

gregair13
02-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Pitts + Titans please.

COJOMAY
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey, we gotta play 'em sometime at Heinz field. May as well be the first game of the season and get it out of the way. We should be as fresh as we can be with no major injuries (although that's always a possibility). I'd love to play them first and be done with one of the toughest games on the schedule.

V4L
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I doubt we will be the team

But if we do that would be great.. Like Cojo said get the tough games outta the way

WE got an easy schedule so after games like that we should get on a roll