PDA

View Full Version : Birk committed to cause



singersp
02-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Birk committed to cause (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/38981144.html)

A disappointing number of players contributed to the Gridiron Greats program, but the center vows to keep at it.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Last update: February 3, 2009 - 11:28 PM


Vikings center Matt Birk said he was surprised but not deterred by the poor response from NFL players who were asked to donate part of their game checks from a December game to assist former players who face severe health and financial hardships.

Birk donated $50,000 and also sent a letter to every NFL player encouraging them to donate a portion of their Dec. 21 game check. Of the nearly 1,700 active players in the league, only about 20 donated to the cause, including eight of Birk's Vikings teammates.....

singersp
02-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Of the nearly 1,700 active players in the league, only about 20 donated to the cause, including eight of Birk's Vikings teammates.....

That is sad. I hope those nearly 1,680 players never plan to ask for assistance from the Gridiron Greats program.

PurpleTide
02-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Current players need to think of their future's, and hopefully not need this program, but in reality need to know this is not the case. They need education to provide the facts on players lives after football, and pitch in to help their NFL family with more programs for mental health, alcohol/drug abuse, family counseling, and long term health care. Matt needs to outline his plans to address these and other concerns of the NFLPA, outline goals and share his findings with current players.

singersp
02-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Birk > Goodell

VikingMike
02-04-2009, 09:11 AM
"singersp" wrote:


Birk > Goodell



+1, thanks for the article singer.

VikingsTw
02-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Wow, 20 players out of the entire league? 7 or 8 of them from Birk's own team? I find that quite amazing considering the wealth throughout the league.

Tad7
02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
20 is pretty bad...

but I just wanna throw out there that NFL players probably get countless requests for their money and time. So many of the players have their own foundations and own local charities. Take for example in our lives those people that ring the bells outside stores at Christmas time, I give a little bit to a few of them, but if I gave to all of them, I'd be screwing myself.

Also Birk only donated $50,000 and he's in the top 10% of the highest paid players and has been around for 10 years, most non-superstars probably don't make as much as people think, and they have their own futures and families to worry about after this short career.

i_bleed_purple
02-04-2009, 11:09 AM
With all the stuff Birks been doing lately for the community and NFL, do you think he'll get a job with the NFL once he retires as a player?
He's a Harvard Grad too, so he's pretty bright.

shockzilla
02-04-2009, 11:53 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:


Wow, 20 players out of the entire league? 7 or 8 of them from Birk's own team? I find that quite amazing considering the wealth throughout the league.


I think it's rather shameful, actually. That means out of those 1,680 players, they couldn't even give $100???? With the kind of money they make???

NodakPaul
02-04-2009, 12:18 PM
"shockzilla" wrote:


"VikingsTw" wrote:


Wow, 20 players out of the entire league? 7 or 8 of them from Birk's own team? I find that quite amazing considering the wealth throughout the league.


I think it's rather shameful, actually. That means out of those 1,680 players, they couldn't even give $100???? With the kind of money they make???


League minimum is $300,000+.

SamOchoCinco
02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
wow!

of those 1600+ players. they should feel ashamed!

they make millions. im sure they could donate atleast like 10k. thats only a drop in the bucket for them.

unless they are latrell spreewell and think that all the money they earn isnt enough to feed their kids

V4L
02-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Haha spree!

AngloVike
02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
well 53 players on the active roster,say $1000 each so $53,000 each time, 32 teams in the league gives a grand total of $1,696,000... not exactly an insignificant amount is it.

Some would spend more than a $1000 pimping their cars up and not bat an eyelid at that

singersp
02-05-2009, 08:15 AM
"Tad7" wrote:


20 is pretty bad...

but I just wanna throw out there that NFL players probably get countless requests for their money and time. So many of the players have their own foundations and own local charities. Take for example in our lives those people that ring the bells outside stores at Christmas time, I give a little bit to a few of them, but if I gave to all of them, I'd be screwing myself.

Also Birk only donated $50,000 and he's in the top 10% of the highest paid players and has been around for 10 years, most non-superstars probably don't make as much as people think, and they have their own futures and families to worry about after this short career.


Any player making over $800,000 is making over $50,000 per game.

Prophet
02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
I heard Ron Mexico gave up his conjugal visit for the cause.

V4L
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Fuck ron mexico

marstc09
02-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Maybe players are donating to better causes like sick children or unfortunate kids.

Randy Moss
02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
When you people donated as much to charities as these guys then you can critique them for not donating enough.

Did anyone on this forum donate to the cause?

jmcdon00
02-18-2009, 05:17 PM
"marstc09" wrote:


Maybe players are donating to better causes like sick children or unfortunate kids.

+1
I know I try to give my money to the most worthy causes I can find(what little I give), I don't think I would ever donate to a retired players fund(unless it came with a round of golf). They are adults that had more opportunities than most of us will ever get. Not saying it is wrong to give, or that some don't really need the help, but I can find people in the world that need the help more(I donated $20 to PPO last year ;D).