PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota? Vikings

Big Matt
01-29-2009, 10:09 AM
As a Brit, now living in PA and working in NY, I have been a Vikes fan for about 15 years and having just read the postings about "the economy and two losing teams" I am interested to see the responses to the following question.
IF the Vikes moved to LA or wherever, would you follow them?
For me its easy as I
have no geographical reason to follow the Vikes, but it must be different for the fans based locally.

marstc09
01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
I would follow them. I couldn't see myself picking up another team. I would still find a way to go to a couple games a year and support my team.

happy camper
01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
There have been threads on this before.

But no, I'm a Minnesota Vikings fan. Change the title and I'm out.

fourdoorchevelle
01-29-2009, 10:22 AM
the vikings moving to La is closer to home for me

i would be at every game

keystonevike
01-29-2009, 10:37 AM
[quote author=happy camper link=topic=50362.msg902512#msg902512 date=1233245769]
There have been threads on this before.

But no, I'm a Minnesota Vikings fan. Change the title and I'm out.
[/quote/]
Same here. Although I live in PA, I have been a MINNESOTA Vikings fan for some 30+ years and I couldn't really see myself rooting for the team if it moved to some other city/state(maybe if they moved to PA...but how much of a chance is there of that?).

I probly wouldn't start rooting for another team in particular.
I would still be a NFL fan in general tho.

Let's hope it don't come to this.

marstc09
01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:

i would be at every game

Be prepared to throw out all that merchandise you bought. Especially that shiny new purple Vikings Peterson jersey you just got.

NodakPaul
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
I don't know.
My mind cannot accept the possibility of them playing anywhere else...
I want to say that I would wait until Minnesota got a new NFL franchise in 5-10 years, but to be honest, if the Vikigns leave I would put 90% ofthe blame on the state.
It would be hard to forgive them for it.
And since I don't actually like in MN, I could possible see myself following the team elsewhere.

marstc09
01-29-2009, 10:48 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.
I want to say that I would wait until Minnesota got a new NFL franchise in 5-10 years, but to be honest, if the Vikigns leave I would put 90% ofthe blame on the state.
And since I don't actually like in MN, I could possible see myself following the team elsewhere.

Thank you. Blame the state, not the fans.

fourdoorchevelle
01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

who elected the legislation ? why is the legislation not being held accountable?

Be prepared to throw out all that merchandise you bought. Especially that shiny new purple Vikings Peterson jersey you just got.
teams have kept their names and logos after moving, see rams

how many lakes are in la? 10,000? hmmm

marstc09
01-29-2009, 10:54 AM

"marstc09" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

who elected the legislation ? why is the legislation not being held accountable?

How many Vikings were in CA?

fourdoorchevelle
01-29-2009, 10:56 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

at least 1

YARRR

VikingMike
01-29-2009, 10:57 AM
I hope it never happens...I live in NY, never been to the Met or the Dome, but to me they are the Minnesota Vikings.

If they do move, and they keep the name Vikings, I would root for them. If they changed the name (a la Browns/Ravens), then I really don't know.

PurplePackerEater
01-29-2009, 09:35 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

Fuck that! Blame the Ownership.

They knew damn well what they were buying when they purchased the team; none of these "new" reports and articles are new information. Sure, the economy taking a downward slide is new, but it’s happening worldwide.

Tad7
01-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Obviously I really really really hope it doesn't happen but I wouldn't have to think twice about it..I'd be an LA Vikings fan..or whatever they'd be called. Like Paul said, I blame the state.

BadlandsVikings
01-29-2009, 09:55 PM
I blame Tom Clancy

ultravikingfan
01-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Fuck no.

It would be a whole new team.

I would be a Steeler fan and rub it in everybody's face that my team has 6 rings!
(#6 coming Sunday)

BadlandsVikings
01-29-2009, 10:29 PM
If they left would they get the Brown's deal or is 33 teams too many?

Zeus
01-29-2009, 10:34 PM
"Big" wrote:

As a Brit, now living in PA and working in NY, I have been a Vikes fan for about 15 years and having just read the postings about "the economy and two losing teams" I am interested to see the responses to the following question.

For me its easy as I
have no geographical reason to follow the Vikes, but it must be different for the fans based locally.

I am a fan of the Minnesota Vikings.
IF they leave (and I, personally, think there's not a chance in hell of that happening any time soon) I would never cheer for the team again and would likely become a fan of an AFC team.

=Z=

ultravikingfan
01-29-2009, 10:40 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Big" wrote:

For me its easy as I

IF they leave (and I, personally, think there's not a chance in hell of that happening any time soon) I would never cheer for the team again and would likely become a fan of an AFC team.

=Z=

+1

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
01-29-2009, 10:54 PM
If, and that's a big if they move, i'd maybe jump on the aints, i mean saints bandwagon. However, i would probably dive wholeheartedly into the wild and twins sites and teams. This is by far the most fan friendly of all 4 teams. Then again, i've been to vikings.com and it's about as exciting as watching a dog leave a big steamer, while taking him for a walk at night with below freezing temps. I suppose this is a 'secondary' site to theirs. ::)

Vikes
01-29-2009, 11:52 PM

i would be at every game

Ahem...I would be at every game it would be sweet.

Also it would be nice ti have the Lakers and Vikes back together again.

ItalianStallion
01-30-2009, 12:00 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

i would be at every game

You kidding me?
That stuff will be vintage.
Old School North Stars gear is dope
;D.

I hope they don't move, but I'd still be a fan.
I don't have any ties to Minnesota.
Then again, probably a few years after moving they'd win the Superbowl or something, haha.

Minniman
01-30-2009, 02:16 AM
Not a chance.

They would join the Dallas Stars and L.A. Lakers as hated teams.

digital420
01-30-2009, 02:59 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"Big" wrote:

For me its easy as I

=Z=

+1

+2

Articnv
01-30-2009, 04:37 AM
I m
minnesota
viking fan not a l.a
what ever fan.
ill do like i do with hockey and stop following it till we got team back

El Vikingo
01-30-2009, 05:41 AM
I guess I couldn´t root for the Vikes,playing out of minny,I wouldn´t feel the same...Most of chances I d go with my second team,the Bills of Buffalo.

PurpleTide
01-30-2009, 07:16 AM
If the Vikings ever left Minnesota I would hope they would change their team name ala Browns/Ravens. It would still be a huge bummer for the fans. Although I don't live in Minnesota anymore it would be a dark day to see the players/team I love move to frichen LA LA land. :-\. I have lived in both Northern Cal, and Southern Cal, and I don't much care for SoCal. If LA were to take our team that dislike would blossom.

Prophet
01-30-2009, 08:12 AM
No.
I wouldn't follow them.
Have too many memories of the Minnesota Vikings.
I would continue to be an NFL fan.

Big Matt
01-30-2009, 08:32 AM
First of all thanks for all the replies, makes for an interesting read. I stated in my initial post that it would be easy for me as I had no geographical ties to Minnesota, but having though more about it I know that I would feel different about following the LA (?) Vikings

tb04512
01-30-2009, 09:53 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

53 and about 47 dressed on sundays
;)

Ltrey33
01-30-2009, 10:07 AM
It depends on a few different things, but there's a chance I'd still root for them.

I don't have any particular connection to Minnesota or to Zygi or any other part of the team....I just like the Vikings because they are who I picked to root for a long time ago. Basically I am rooting for laundry. So if they swtiched to LA, I might root for them....so long as they don't end up with a gay name/logo/colors.

Plus, it's a lot nicer visiting LA in November and December than it is Minneapolis!
:P

jmcdon00
01-30-2009, 10:15 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.
And since I don't actually live in MN, I could possible see myself following the team elsewhere.

Do you blame the State for all the businesses that are either leaving or shutting down? or just the vikings?

I really don't know. I think they would probably become my least favorite team, traitors to the state.
The Gophers would become my favorite football team. I'd probably worry less about the outcomes and focus more on the fantasy football more.

johnnyfrey12
01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

Well I don't live in MN anymore, I live in Southeast GA so if they moved I would probably take on either the Falcons, one of the FL teams, or an NFC North division rival for ultimate payback against the state.

ultravikingfan
01-30-2009, 11:36 AM
"Big" wrote:

First of all thanks for all the replies, makes for an interesting read. I stated in my initial post that it would be easy for me as I had no geographical ties to Minnesota, but having though more about it I know that I would feel different about following the LA (?) Vikings

They would be a completely different team.

Like the Ravens.
There were not any Ravens fans here when the Browns left.
They either stayed Browns or became Steelers fans.

ultravikingfan
01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I do not live in MN anymore as well.

So I blame everyone within the borders of that state...especially Zeus!

NodakPaul
01-30-2009, 11:42 AM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.
And since I don't actually live in MN, I could possible see myself following the team elsewhere.

Do you blame the State for all the businesses that are either leaving or shutting down? or just the vikings?

I really don't know. I think they would probably become my least favorite team, traitors to the state.
The Gophers would become my favorite football team. I'd probably worry less about the outcomes and focus more on the fantasy football more.

I blame the state for every instance in which a $863 million dollar business in Minnesota with an annual payrole of over $120 million leaves or shuts down when the State could have prevented it by spending $200 million in 2006...

Ltrey33
01-30-2009, 12:09 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

I blame the state for every instance in which a $863 million dollar business in Minnesota with an annual payrole of over $120 million leaves or shuts down when the State could have prevented it by spending $200 million in 2006...

Amen to that. It's pretty short sighted on their part.

It's amazing how states will bend over backward to keep billion dollar businesses in their state, but they won't budge on a stadium because it's "a luxury".

I just read a story about how the legislature in Connecticut spent $100M and used eminent domain to level an entire neighborhood to lure Pfizer Inc. to their state a couple years ago. But we won't cough up some money for a stadium and a team that keeps thousands of people employed?

BadlandsVikings
01-30-2009, 12:15 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Big" wrote:

They would be a completely different team.

Like the Ravens.
There were not any Ravens fans here when the Browns left.
They either stayed Browns or became Steelers fans.

Do most of the people in Houston follow the Titans or Texans or don't care anymore?

Do most of the people in Baltimore follow the Colts or Ravens or don't care anymore?

Ltrey33
01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Why won't Minnesota fans realize that history repeats itself?

They lost the North Stars and they ended up with the Wild.

They lost the Lakers and they ended up with the T-Wolves.

Now they may lose the Vikings....and I can pretty much guarantee that within 10-15 years, there would be a new professional football team in Minnesota.

BadlandsVikings
01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

Now they may lose the Vikings....and I can pretty much guarantee that within 10-15 years, there would be a new professional football team in Minnesota.

Can the NFL support more than 32 teams?

Purple Floyd
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

So then explain to me your stance on all of the businesses that relocate from Minnesota to the surrounding states like N, Dakota, S Dakota and Iowa because of the fact that they have lower tax rates? Are you saying that increasing the taxes in the state is going to improve that situation?

The team could have prevented it by spending 350 million in 1999

bleedpurple
01-30-2009, 12:34 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

So then explain to me your stance on all of the businesses that relocate from Minnesota to the surrounding states like N, Dakota, S Dakota and Iowa because of the fact that they have lower tax rates? Are you saying that increasing the taxes in the state is going to improve that situation?

I don't see why they don't spend the money on a stadium when they are just going to get it back in tax money anyway...

I know basebal has more games so it's more justifyable to pay for their stadium but i don't see why if you buy one you have to do the other...

If they dont' want to pony up the money, then the state should give zygi a huge tax break for building it his damn self... bet they won't want to do that!!!

Mr Anderson
01-30-2009, 12:45 PM
I would still root for them.

I am a fan of the current Minnesota Vikings team/franchise. If they were to move tomorrow, it would be the same team, the same team I love, maybe in different colors, or with a different name. But it's the same players, coaches, front office, etc.

I have no allegiance to the state of Minnesota, but I love the Vikings and I will be a fan of the team wherever they move.

VikingLance
01-30-2009, 12:50 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

Well, for one thing, I don't want to wait 10-15 years for a new team.
Also, I am a Minnesota Vikings fan, not whatever stupid name they come up with 10-15 years down the road.
We are running out of animal names.
Gophers, T-Wolves, Wild (a wolf/coyote ), lynx.
They'll have to switch it up.
Maybe Minnesota Hotdishes?
:)

If memory serves me correctly, they also had to build new arena's for those teams.
How much will a new stadium cost 10-15 years from now to lure in NFL team?

I guess I would still cheer for them.
This is one of those questions that I hopefully will never have to answer.

BadlandsVikings
01-30-2009, 12:57 PM
"VikingLance" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Also, I am a Minnesota Vikings fan, not whatever stupid name they come up with 10-15 years down the road.

If memory serves me correctly, they also had to build new arena's for those teams.

Minnesota Fighting Lutefisk

Big Matt
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Can the NFL support more than 32 teams?

I could wait and see if the NFL start a London franchise?? ;D

VikingLance
01-30-2009, 01:11 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"VikingLance" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Minnesota Sour Krauts?

.....possible new thread here.......
If you had to rename the Vikings......

bleedpurple
01-30-2009, 01:15 PM
"VikingLance" wrote:

"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"VikingLance" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Minnesota Sour Krauts?

.....possible new thread here.......

If you had to rename the Vikings......

there's too much history here for them to let the vikings run off with the name.. .much like in cleveland.. they will keep the Vikings franchise name here and re-name the vikings some los angeles team...

bleedpurple
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Minnesota barracuda's

Minnesota Flames

MInnesota flyers,

Minnesota Mercenaries

Minnesota Monarchs

Minnesota Outlaws

Minnesota Roadrunners

VikingLance
01-30-2009, 01:41 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

Minnesota barracuda's

Minnesota Flames

MInnesota flyers,

Minnesota Mercenaries

Minnesota Monarchs

Minnesota Outlaws

Minnesota Roadrunners

I think we have/had a women volleyball team named the Monarchs.

NodakPaul
01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

Taxes in Minnesota are not high because of large capital building projects.
They are high because of mismanagement and the added expense of operating a major urban area.
Part of that is to be expected (the urban expenses), but part of it is rediculous.
The Metrodome was initially funded through an entertainment and liquor tax.
Tell me, what happened to that tax after the Metrodome was paid for?
It was never taken off the books, and revenue is still being generated from it.
Stuff like that has a larger impact on the tax rates in Minnesota than any single capital project.

BTW, what billion dollar business has left Minnesota because of the fact that they would be taxed lower elsewhere?
The economics of very large businesses differ from those of small to medium ones, so continually trying to compare the two is misleading.

NodakPaul
01-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Also, yes the team could have prevented by spending 350 million in 1999 - if the owner was an idiot.
While that would have been a great decision for all of the Vikings fans, it would have been a poor business decision for the ownership...

marshallvike
01-30-2009, 01:57 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

The Fargo Vikings???

BadlandsVikings
01-30-2009, 01:59 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

The Fargo Vikings???

Red River Valley Potato Farmers

Mr Anderson
01-30-2009, 02:00 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

Minnesota barracuda's

Minnesota Flames

MInnesota flyers,

Minnesota Mercenaries

Minnesota Monarchs

Minnesota Outlaws

Minnesota Roadrunners

Why in God's name would a MEN's football team be named the Monarchs?

We have enough ViQueen jokes already.

BadlandsVikings
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
"Mr" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

Minnesota barracuda's

Minnesota Flames

MInnesota flyers,

Minnesota Mercenaries

Minnesota Monarchs

Minnesota Outlaws

Minnesota Roadrunners

We would have a buttefly mascot, that can't be all bad.

I like the Golden Valley Cheerios

http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/cheerios.jpg (http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/cheerios.jpg)

Big Matt
01-30-2009, 02:10 PM
"Mr" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

Minnesota barracuda's

Minnesota Flames

MInnesota flyers,

Minnesota Mercenaries

Minnesota Monarchs

Minnesota Outlaws

Minnesota Roadrunners

Why couldnt a MEN's football team be named the Monarchs, the NFLE London team was? ???

marshallvike
01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

I don't know.

The Fargo Vikings???

Or......Wahpeton Sugar Beets. ;D
(Or is there a Lingerie League team with that name?)

BadlandsVikings
01-30-2009, 02:14 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:

"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don't know.

The Fargo Vikings???

Or......Wahpeton Sugar Beets. ;D
(Or is there a Lingerie League team with that name?)

Nobody will come to the games when those things are steaming

bleedpurple
01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
"Mr" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

Minnesota barracuda's

Minnesota Flames

MInnesota flyers,

Minnesota Mercenaries

Minnesota Monarchs

Minnesota Outlaws

Minnesota Roadrunners

a monarch can be a king or queen..... duh!

Mr Anderson
01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

Minnesota barracuda's

Minnesota Flames

MInnesota flyers,

Minnesota Mercenaries

Minnesota Monarchs

Minnesota Outlaws

Minnesota Roadrunners

a monarch can be a king or queen..... duh!

I always thought a Monarchy was a style of government. Lead by a Monarch or Patriarch.

Edit:

I thought wrong.

There goes my mistake for the week.

gabe_menendez
02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I live in sacramento california. so I would be able to actually go to the game....i would stick by the vikings for obvious reasons.

PackSux!
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
"gabe_menendez" wrote:

I live in sacramento california. so I would be able to actually go to the game....i would stick by the vikings for obvious reasons.

I live in Duluth Minnesota and i would be fucking pissed.

Tad7
02-03-2009, 08:43 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:

The Fargo Vikings???

I remember when Fargo submitted their proposal to get Vikings training camp! Would've been AWESOME

oaklandzoo24
02-03-2009, 08:59 PM
In anything happens--which I doubt-- I will always remain a vikings fan.
I bleed purple and it aint gunna change for no hollywood dipshits.

VKG4LFE
02-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I would follow them until we got another team back in Minny, a la the North Stars. It would kill me to see them leave though, so let's not even think about this occurence!