PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Special Teams at Risk



MaxVike
01-18-2009, 03:46 PM
If I performed like this, guaranteed, I'd be fired.
Ferraro???

Analysis: Special teams at risk
By John Holler
VikingUpdate.com
Posted Jan 18, 2009

The Vikings won several close games in 2008, but a number of those wins wouldn’t have needed to be that close if not for a big special-teams play by the opposition.

http://min.scout.com/2/831242.html

kevoncox
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:


If I performed like this, guaranteed, I'd be fired.
Ferraro???

Analysis: Special teams at risk
By John Holler
VikingUpdate.com
Posted Jan 18, 2009

The Vikings won several close games in 2008, but a number of those wins wouldn’t have needed to be that close if not for a big special-teams play by the opposition.

http://min.scout.com/2/831242.html



Yuck

Marrdro
01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Awwwwww, don't worry, Heath will be back next year and fix all of our ST's problems...... :o

(Yea right)

seaniemck7
01-19-2009, 10:12 AM
How Ferraro still has a job, I have no idea.
This list of gaffes didn't even bring to light the fact that we gave up more ST return TDs than any other team in the history of the NFL.
Hello??!?!??!?!

marstc09
01-19-2009, 09:22 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


Awwwwww, don't worry, Heath will be back next year and fix all of our ST's problems...... :o

(Yea right)


and firing the coach will.
::)

Big C
01-19-2009, 09:42 PM
and firing the coach will.

Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.

marstc09
01-19-2009, 09:47 PM
"Big" wrote:



and firing the coach will.

Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.


Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?

Big C
01-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Just for clarification I'm saying fire the special teams coach, not the head coach.

The special teams unit hasn't improved over a 3 year span. This was the worst of the 3 years. Players got hurt on offense and defense as well but those units compensated. This special teams coach is responsible for that unit's production. If that's not happening you fire him and get someone else. It can only get better.

Maybe it's teching better technique. Maybe it's recognizing talent. Maybe it's putting the right people in the right places. Maybe it's having a little more faith in younger players. Maybe it's just motivation and getting them fired up. I don't know. You would fire an ST coach for the same reasons you would fire a HC or OC/DC. Lack of results.

Freakout
01-19-2009, 11:10 PM
"marstc09" wrote:


"Big" wrote:



and firing the coach will.

Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.


Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?


Teaching your guys to stay in their lanes would be a start.

marstc09
01-19-2009, 11:24 PM
"Freakout" wrote:


"marstc09" wrote:


"Big" wrote:



and firing the coach will.

Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.


Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?


Teaching your guys to stay in their lanes would be a start.


If they don't know that by now, they should not be in the NFL.

Freakout
01-19-2009, 11:36 PM
"marstc09" wrote:


"Freakout" wrote:


"marstc09" wrote:


"Big" wrote:



and firing the coach will.

Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.


Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?


Teaching your guys to stay in their lanes would be a start.


If they don't know that by now, they should not be in the NFL.


Easy to say.
Doesn't mean they do it.


Professional basketball players know how to box out on rebounds.
Doesn't mean they consistently do it.

marstc09
01-20-2009, 09:23 AM
"Freakout" wrote:


"marstc09" wrote:


"Freakout" wrote:


"marstc09" wrote:


"Big" wrote:



and firing the coach will.

Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.


Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?


Teaching your guys to stay in their lanes would be a start.


If they don't know that by now, they should not be in the NFL.


Easy to say.
Doesn't mean they do it.


Professional basketball players know how to box out on rebounds.
Doesn't mean they consistently do it.


Get rid of them then.

Prophet
01-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Has anyone done an analysis of the progression of the STs over the course of the season?
Going off my memory (which is good, but a bit short) they made progress and were playing at least average.
The pathetic kick returning situations and almost always having bad field position seems to have stood out in my memory.
If you look at the O, D, and ST; it seems that the STs were the weakest link last year.

Marrdro
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM
"marstc09" wrote:


"Big" wrote:



and firing the coach will.

Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.


Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?


a. The will work on kicking (Punting) to the sideline (outside the hash to out of bounds).
b. Returners won't run to the center of the field as thier first move but wil make an actual cut to the outside instead.
c. OL will know what to do when a side is overloaded which could result in a blocked FG.
d. Punts will be to a spot that will be the same spot the coverage unit is running to...

etc etc etc.

Prophet
01-20-2009, 10:08 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"marstc09" wrote:


"Big" wrote:



and firing the coach will.

Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.


Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?


a. The will work on kicking (Punting) to the sideline (outside the hash to out of bounds).
b. Returners won't run to the center of the field as thier first move but wil make an actual cut to the outside instead.
c. OL will know what to do when a side is overloaded which could result in a blocked FG.
d. Punts will be to a spot that will be the same spot the coverage unit is running to...

etc etc etc.



The coverage in some games wasn't even at the level of pee-wee football.
Containing the outside is ST 101, first thing you learn in STs.

Marrdro
01-20-2009, 10:10 AM
"marstc09" wrote:


"Freakout" wrote:


"marstc09" wrote:


"Big" wrote:



and firing the coach will.

Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.


Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?


Teaching your guys to stay in their lanes would be a start.


If they don't know that by now, they should not be in the NFL.

So you contend that the players in the NFL know everything to know about ST's?

On a side note, the whole staying in their lanes discussion would be worth having if someone could convince me that the players were running (in thier lanes) to the predetermined spot for the play the ST's coach called.

Marrdro
01-20-2009, 10:13 AM
"Prophet" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"marstc09" wrote:


"Big" wrote:



and firing the coach will.

Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.


Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?


a. The will work on kicking (Punting) to the sideline (outside the hash to out of bounds).
b. Returners won't run to the center of the field as thier first move but wil make an actual cut to the outside instead.
c. OL will know what to do when a side is overloaded which could result in a blocked FG.
d. Punts will be to a spot that will be the same spot the coverage unit is running to...

etc etc etc.



The coverage in some games wasn't even at the level of pee-wee football.
Containing the outside is ST 101, first thing you learn in STs.

Exactly.


Sometimes I marvel at some of the posts we read in this area.
Hell, I would bet that 85% (I like pulling numbers out of my ass) of the posters on here are convinced that one guy (Heath) will come back and make it all right.

If I'm not mistaken, he can only cover one lane right?

Still say this is directly related to the whole ST's to include the Coach and Kicker as the first points that need to be addressed.

Looks like I won't get my wish with the coach, however, there is still a possibility the kicking will be improved.