PDA

View Full Version : If you were Paul Tagliabue...

DaScRuM
01-24-2005, 07:35 AM
What changes would you like to see in the NFL?

1. Drop 2 games from the preseason

2. This should have been Superbowl weekend---it's dragged too far out as far as I'm concerned. I
love the NFL, but, this is getting ridiculous. Superbowl in
February? Sunday's games should
have been at approx. noon and
three.

VKG4LFE
01-24-2005, 09:06 AM
I would like to see the superbowl back in January, but what can ya do!

kramer9guy
01-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Somehow change league rules regarding stripping the ball.

The intentional strip has snowballed over the last few years into the main defensive strategy by many teams. I don't remember it being like this years back. It used to be...just play the game and fumbles will happen. Now every defensive player is targeting the ball and trying to knock it out. Maybe it's just me but I think it cheapens the play of the game.

Am I the only one who has noticed this large increase in the stripping strategy?

VKG4LFE
01-24-2005, 11:12 AM
I like the fact that they try to strip the ball, but I wish they would just tackle the guy as opposed to letting him gain an extra 15 yards!! I don't think that it cheapens the game, it is just teams trying to get the advantage (in turnovers)!

purplehorn
01-24-2005, 11:17 AM
The more football the better IMO it will be
over to soon as is.

kramer9guy
01-24-2005, 11:19 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I like the fact that they try to strip the ball, but I wish they would just tackle the guy as opposed to letting him gain an extra 15 yards!! I don't think that it cheapens the game, it is just teams trying to get the advantage (in turnovers)!

I know what you are saying (I do like it when we get a fumble recovery from a strip) but I guess I like the old school way of play better.

But also, in addition to taking away from tackling fundamentals defensively, it can lead to things like that clothesline strip attempt by the Jag defender on the pack's ferguson that put him in the hospital.

Oh well, the game has changed and I'm sure it will keep on changing.

ultravikingfan
01-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Make sure the Vikings win the Super Bowl. jk :lol:

Mr. O
01-24-2005, 11:30 AM
The number of games is fine, but yeah, they should take away that extra week before the Super Bowl. There's way too much hype built up in two weeks and most of the time the game doesn't live up to it. Sometimes it does, but not always.

purplehorn
01-24-2005, 11:36 AM
"Mr. O" wrote:

The number of games is fine, but yeah, they should take away that extra week before the Super Bowl. There's way too much hype built up in two weeks and most of the time the game doesn't live up to it. Sometimes it does, but not always.

That sounds like a definate maybe?

Mr. O
01-24-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm saying maybe the game will live up to the hype, but it doesn't always, so the league should definitely take out the extra week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.

RK.
01-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Sunday's games should
three.
They were at noon and three for all of us here on the west coast. :P

VKG4LFE
01-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah I hate the two weeks prior to the superbowl too! That has to be eliminated.

cajunvike
01-24-2005, 05:24 PM
"DaScRuM" wrote:

What changes would you like to see in the NFL?

1. Drop 2 games from the preseason

2. This should have been Superbowl weekend---it's dragged too far out as far as I'm concerned. I
love the NFL, but, this is getting ridiculous. Superbowl in
February? Sunday's games should
three.

Better yet....just make the season YEAR ROUND!!!

SKOL
01-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Instant Replay is my biggest complaint. The replay official takes a biased approach to his review, thinking he has to see irrefutable evidence in order to overturn a call. Just make the correct call regardless of what the official on the field called. He has all the views he wants, and in slow motion too. Why does he have to consider what the official on the field saw.

Down By Contact is bogus too. If a play was blown dead when it shouldn't have been that's the officials mistake. Don't make the teams pay for the mistake of an official.

Freya
01-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Changes eh?

1) fine refs for blatantly bad calls.
2) have no games on cbs
3) start the season in June or July

SKOL
01-24-2005, 05:37 PM
I agree on the pre-season thing too. 4 pre-season games are just too many. I'm a season ticket holder with 4 seats at $90 per seat. $720 for two home pre-season games is just too much to pay to see games that don't count.

ultravikingfan
01-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Get rid of Joe Buck!

LosAngelis
01-24-2005, 07:02 PM
If I were Paul Tagliabue?
I would be punishing Nicolette Sheridan. Privately. Spankings.

ultravikingfan
01-24-2005, 07:12 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

If I were Paul Tagliabue?
I would be punishing Nicolette Sheridan. Privately. Spankings.

Need a cameraman? :lol:

VikingsTw
01-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Theres a couple of rules that disrupt me, two that occured in the Vikes-Iggle game.

1) Claibornes not reestablishing himself inbounds when he grabbed the fumble. ?????? He wasnt out of bounds he was in bounds, he even got a foot in, there was absolutly no one part of his body that was out of bounds at the time, stupid stupid!

2) The stupidest rule ever. Freddie Mitchell fumbles on the inch yard line and the ball went out of bounds in the endzone resulting in the vikes ball on the 20 yard line. The rules want to take claibornes fumble recovery away but give the vikes the ball when they didn't even touch the ball, why give the opossing defense credit for a fumble they didnt recover? Better yet they give it to us on the 20 YARD LINE. That rule is just rediculous.

Another thing, they need to get more consistant with pass interference calls, have guys up in the booth watching with binoculars, gosh somthing!!!

Mr. O
01-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Hey ultra, we can get Buck to take Boomer with him.

vikes09
01-25-2005, 10:38 AM
i think that fumbling in the endzone was alittle harsh. and i also think there shoudlnt be a time limit when the refs wathcing the replay. i wouldnt care if he got abag of chips and sat and watched the replay as long as he made the right call. and get rid of the ref challenges under 2 minutos. i hate that rule. normally its something that is questionable that happens under 2 min. i also didnt agree w/ the clairborne call. the game has been made for alot of tds to be scored but i would like them to call more offfensice pass interferences. i see this alot more than defensice but it looks like the corner pushed him. unless its a. carroll. :D

purplehorn
01-25-2005, 12:09 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Better yet....just make the season YEAR ROUND!!!

That is RIGHT ON have 40 games 4 bye weeks for each team and
an 8 week playoff :cheers: :occasion5:

Del Rio
01-25-2005, 12:36 PM
I like the fumble out of the endzone rule. It gives the D incentive to try even on the inch line. Then totally historic plays like Don Bebee or whatever his name was chasing down leon lett and stripping the ball while he was show boating.

ultravikingfan
01-25-2005, 01:20 PM
"vikes09" wrote:

i think that fumbling in the endzone was alittle harsh. and i also think there shoudlnt be a time limit when the refs wathcing the replay. i wouldnt care if he got abag of chips and sat and watched the replay as long as he made the right call. and get rid of the ref challenges under 2 minutos. i hate that rule. normally its something that is questionable that happens under 2 min. i also didnt agree w/ the clairborne call. the game has been made for alot of tds to be scored but i would like them to call more offfensice pass interferences. i see this alot more than defensice but it looks like the corner pushed him. unless its a. carroll. :D

I have always wondered why it does take so long when the have an excellent camera angle. I would think that they go in there, look at the replay, and say "wow, we messed up". But, I guess that they want to make sure that they make the right call. Different angles, and replaying in slow-mo.

I agree. I could care less about how much time they spend, as long as the call go in favor of the Vikings! :lol:

DaScRuM
01-28-2005, 07:37 AM
I hate that stripping the ball crap. If a fumble occurs from a hit, fine.

Replay needs to be overhauled. And I hate when home teams run a replay. You know, like when a home coach can call a ref over and talk "garbage" with him until they can see the replay on the home board-----then make the choice to challenge or not. Some say it's just "home cookin'"------I don't think it's fair at all. And that "going under the tent" thing is a joke. Ego's need to be slapped down. There is the technology and enough guys looking at it in a booth where they could make a quicker decision and notify the ref of the decision. It would relieve some "down time". That's the only reason they have the "tent"-----to stroke the egos of some of these ref's.

Don't like the Claiborne deal. As long as any part of a player isn't out-of-bounds when he touches the ball----he should have just as much right to it as anybody else.

wisc vike
01-28-2005, 04:09 PM
"DaScRuM" wrote:

I hate that stripping the ball crap. If a fumble occurs from a hit, fine.

Replay needs to be overhauled. And I hate when home teams run a replay. You know, like when a home coach can call a ref over and talk "garbage" with him until they can see the replay on the home board-----then make the choice to challenge or not. Some say it's just "home cookin'"------I don't think it's fair at all. And that "going under the tent" thing is a joke. Ego's need to be slapped down. There is the technology and enough guys looking at it in a booth where they could make a quicker decision and notify the ref of the decision. It would relieve some "down time". That's the only reason they have the "tent"-----to stroke the egos of some of these ref's.

Don't like the Claiborne deal. As long as any part of a player isn't out-of-bounds when he touches the ball----he should have just as much right to it as anybody else.Agree with all of that. And how about the ref upstairs controlling replays within 2 mins. actually watching the replay and him making the decision instead of the refs. Also, There should only be 2 preseason games, maybe 3. Too many players get hurt and are out for extended periods of time. Agree on the fact that SB should be in January. And the Claiborne rule. That was absurd.