PDA

View Full Version : Help! Out of town Vikings fan going to NYG game!!!



iamtheviking
12-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I have THE best wife in the world.
She gave up all of her xmas presents to get me to the game on Sunday.
I am a long time Viks fan, but have never been to the metrodome.
Reason being is that we live near Philly, not the Twin cities!
So here are my questions for my fellow Viking fanatics.

1) Where to tail gate?
I saw a bunch of awesome different Viking fan clubs, but don't know where I should go.
Is there is a specific spot or should we just walk around to get in all of the sites?

2) What to bring?
Since we are out of towners we have no car and will need to travel light.
I was thinking of dressing warm and just getting a case of beer to walk around with...but will the cops hassle me for open container?

3) Anything else I should know to get the full tailgating experience?

4) Who needs a free ticket?
My wife bought 3 tickets, but there is only 2 of us.
Tis the season of giving so I am willing to give the 3rd ticket away to a die hard fan in need for free.
We're in section 100 row 29.
Of course if there are too many in need of a ticket I will likely give it to whoever can best help to provide us with some tailgating accomodations.




I'm excited to have found these forums and even more excited to see the Viks knock the wind out of Eli!

ultravikingfan
12-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Welcome.

This thread may help any other fans will be by to post here.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=49718.0

I have never been to a PP.O tailgate, but I know they are second to none!

marstc09
12-26-2008, 08:14 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/marstc09/ppotailgatelot.jpg

Right under that billboard. Look for the Purplepride.org banner. Just come up, set your beer down and start drinking.

iamtheviking
12-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Easy enough!
I'll have the taxi drop us off there.


See you guys on Sunday.



Go Viks!

snowinapril
12-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Where are you staying?
Light rail will practically drop you on that mark on the map.

Members that tailgate park near the Mall of America and take the light rail in to the dome.
Same can be done from the airport which is right by the Mall.


You might want to think about taking out of downtown after the game.
I have been trapped for up to 2 hours downtown after the game.
At that amount of time, the taxi $$ will be high.

I think it is a 25 minute ride from the Mall to the Dome.

snowinapril
12-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Light rail info:
http://www.visitingdc.com/airports/minneapolis-light-rail-map.asp

Peterson08
12-26-2008, 09:08 PM
good man

snowinapril
12-26-2008, 09:09 PM
"iamtheviking" wrote:


I have THE best wife in the world.
She gave up all of her xmas presents to get me to the game on Sunday.
I am a long time Viks fan, but have never been to the metrodome.
Reason being is that we live near Philly, not the Twin cities!
So here are my questions for my fellow Viking fanatics.

I hear ya, my wife go me tickets to see the Big Ticket host the pathetic T-Wolves in Boston, nice gift!
I will be taking the public transit in to avoid parking$$$.

"iamtheviking" wrote:


1) Where to tail gate?
I saw a bunch of awesome different Viking fan clubs, but don't know where I should go.
Is there is a specific spot or should we just walk around to get in all of the sites?

You can walk around if you want.
The PPO tailgate is cool though.....


"iamtheviking" wrote:


2) What to bring?
Since we are out of towners we have no car and will need to travel light.
I was thinking of dressing warm and just getting a case of beer to walk around with...but will the cops hassle me for open container?

Yes, dress warm.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USMN0503?dayNum=2
As far as the cops go, I don't think they will hassle you.
Not totally curtain of the law though.
Once in the parking lot, it is expected that you have a beer in hand.

"iamtheviking" wrote:


3) Anything else I should know to get the full tailgating experience?

Dress warm if you are going to tailgate.
Once inside, you will be warm enough.
I find it nice to get inside early to see the players warming up.
You have good seats being on the lower level.
Just a thought.

"iamtheviking" wrote:


4) Who needs a free ticket?
My wife bought 3 tickets, but there is only 2 of us.
Tis the season of giving so I am willing to give the 3rd ticket away to a die hard fan in need for free.
We're in section 100 row 29.
Of course if there are too many in need of a ticket I will likely give it to whoever can best help to provide us with some tailgating accomodations.



If you are giving tickets away...... I am game.
I would have to drive up from Iowa.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip to MPLS.
I hope you will get in the night before so you can look around a bit.

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
12-26-2008, 09:13 PM
I've been to the dome twice this season for games. First, if you are going right to the game from the airport, take a taxi to the mall of america. The light rail is on the macy's side of MOA. Go that direction, get a 6 hour ticket($3.50 each) and get on the light rail there. Getting on at the airport will not be fun, the train will be packed, and even worse if you are trying to take bags with you. You will basically be going past the tailgating spot once you get to the dome. Get off the train, turn right, go straight. As for alcohol, you'll have to get it sat. night as there are no liquor stores open on sundays in this state. Convenience stores sell 3.2 beer, you won't like it. If you bring it on the plane, bring it in a backpack or something, someone will harrass you about it otherwise. The regular tailgaters are extremely nice about offering a first timer something to drink, however you are at the mercy of the offerer's beer(is that a word?). Dress warm, that includes feet especially. You'll likely be standing on ice at tailgating, gloves and a hat can be stuffed in the arms of your jacket when you go inside.

As for the ticket, i would have loved to take it, however i have to do the honorable thing and go to a family event. Someone will take you up on it, no doubt.

Only other advice: Wear your purple, scream and cheer until you're hoarse, and enjoy yourself.
;D

iamtheviking
12-26-2008, 09:22 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:



If you are giving tickets away...... I am game.
I would have to drive up from Iowa.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip to MPLS.
I hope you will get in the night before so you can look around a bit.


Hey man, you gave some great info AND it seems you like funkadelic.
The ticket is yours.
Keep an eye out for a tall couple (guy in Vikings fleece [Mike] and the girl in an Eagles jacket [Kristy]).
I can PM you my cell.


We are staying at the Doubletree, which looks to be in walking distance...although a bit far with how cold out it is.


I'll see if the transit line is any better for us.

blakebeatty
12-26-2008, 10:15 PM
"STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:


I've been to the dome twice this season for games. First, if you are going right to the game from the airport, take a taxi to the mall of america. The light rail is on the macy's side of MOA. Go that direction, get a 6 hour ticket($3.50 each) and get on the light rail there. Getting on at the airport will not be fun, the train will be packed, and even worse if you are trying to take bags with you. You will basically be going past the tailgating spot once you get to the dome. Get off the train, turn right, go straight. As for alcohol, you'll have to get it sat. night as there are no liquor stores open on sundays in this state. Convenience stores sell 3.2 beer, you won't like it. If you bring it on the plane, bring it in a backpack or something, someone will harrass you about it otherwise. The regular tailgaters are extremely nice about offering a first timer something to drink, however you are at the mercy of the offerer's beer(is that a word?). Dress warm, that includes feet especially. You'll likely be standing on ice at tailgating, gloves and a hat can be stuffed in the arms of your jacket when you go inside.

As for the ticket, i would have loved to take it, however i have to do the honorable thing and go to a family event. Someone will take you up on it, no doubt.

Only other advice: Wear your purple, scream and cheer until you're hoarse, and enjoy yourself.
;D


Definately take the train to the game, but do not cab to mall of america.
The train stops at both airport terminals, and one indoors.
Do however be as loud as possible.
I have bought playoff tickets and very much want to use them

snowinapril
12-26-2008, 10:31 PM
"iamtheviking" wrote:


"snowinapril" wrote:



If you are giving tickets away...... I am game.
I would have to drive up from Iowa.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip to MPLS.
I hope you will get in the night before so you can look around a bit.


Hey man, you gave some great info AND it seems you like funkadelic.
The ticket is yours.
Keep an eye out for a tall couple (guy in Vikings fleece [Mike] and the girl in an Eagles jacket [Kristy]).
I can PM you my cell.


We are staying at the Doubletree, which looks to be in walking distance...although a bit far with how cold out it is.


I'll see if the transit line is any better for us.


This double tree is only 5 blocks from the tailgate.
Just walk down 4th street in between Chicago and Park. and that is the tailgate.

http://www.thehotelminneapolis.com/location_and_directions/

snowinapril
12-26-2008, 11:11 PM
The Nicolet Mall stop on the light rail is 2 blocks from the hotel.

http://www.metrotransit.org/sysmap/dtMplsmap.htm

Tailgating:
http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=100
http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_jvideo&view=videos&Itemid=155

BTW, I would be happy to compensate you for the ticket, besides bringing some local beer.


Thanks and I did drop you a PM.