PDA

View Full Version : AD for MVP 3.0 - Peterson gains MVP support

singersp
12-17-2008, 12:34 PM
AD For MVP (http://www.vikings.com/NewsArticle_ADforMVP121708.aspx)

12/17/2008

By Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

It’s been nearly a month since I’ve made an argument for Adrian Peterson to win this year’s NFL MVP award. Since that last AD For MVP column, though, the sensational running back hasn’t needed any writers to make a case for him. He’s been making the argument himself with his production on the field....

ejmat
12-17-2008, 12:59 PM
"singersp" wrote:

AD For MVP (http://www.vikings.com/NewsArticle_ADforMVP121708.aspx)

12/17/2008

By Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

It’s been nearly a month since I’ve made an argument for Adrian Peterson to win this year’s NFL MVP award. Since that last AD For MVP column, though, the sensational running back hasn’t needed any writers to make a case for him. He’s been making the argument himself with his production on the field....

I would like nothing more than to see this happen.
I don't think it will be just handed to him though.
He tends to fumble allot and that may be the reasoning for not getting MVP.
At this point I would count Drew Brees out because the Saints aren't
making the playoffs.
Not that he doesn't deserve it but that is how the voting goes sometimes.
Warner may have a shot as well.

Forever Vikings
12-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Honestly, it's still too early to tell. If AP and the Vikes finish out strong, and he averages like 125-150 these next two weeks I think he almost has to be the MVP. I don't want to say he is now, because there once was a time when every one thought Clinton Portis would be the MVP.

Randy Moss
12-17-2008, 01:24 PM
If the Cards play like they did against us for their next couple games, I could easily see AD being MVP.

i_bleed_purple
12-17-2008, 01:37 PM
If AD keeps it up, I don't know who else to give it to.
They usually give MVP to a player who's huge contribution helped his team succeed.
However, in the past its been easy, they've handed the award to a player who set an all-time record.

Look at the last 5: Tom Brady (record season, 16-0, went to superbowl) LT (record season, brought team to AFC Champs with new coach), Shaun Alexander (record season, brought team to superbowl out of nowhere) Peyton Manning, (Record season, reason that team is so good)

There's noone who really stands out this year, miles ahead of everyone else, so it will be a tough one to choose.
I truly do expect AD to be top 3 at very least.
Brees is losing his shot, unless he breaks marinos record.
Warner has a chance, since the cards are going to the playoffs, but if he falters in the next two weeks, and AD puts up 300 over the next two weeks, I could see them picking AD.

Plus, the media/NFL loves AD (not the vikings)
He's exciting, and he's what viewers want to watch.
They'll ride the AD train as long as it will go, and giving him an MVP award will even further that marketing potential.

Purple Floyd
12-17-2008, 04:36 PM
We would need to go deep into the playoffs, probably win the SB and he would have to have a few more monster games before he could ever be voted MVP. If he played for another team I would say the threshold would be lower.

More than likely if he got the reward Goodell would fine JA 100,000 for excessive celebration

V-Unit
12-17-2008, 04:43 PM
In reality, there should be like 4 co-MVPs at this point.

i_bleed_purple
12-17-2008, 05:07 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

We would need to go deep into the playoffs, probably win the SB and he would have to have a few more monster games before he could ever be voted MVP. If he played for another team I would say the threshold would be lower.

More than likely if he got the reward Goodell would fine JA 100,000 for excessive celebration

MVP is picked before the superbowl though.

midgensa
12-17-2008, 05:24 PM
We were discussing this at length here at work the other day. There are ALOT of ifs ... but right now AD is definitely one of the favorites.
The Cards failure against the Eagles and Vikings hurts Warner drastically. Drew Brees sucks away from New Orleans which really hurts his chances.
I think Peyton Manning is very much in the mix and maybe even the favorite at this point, but Warner is definitely up there.
Dark horses include Philip Rivers (if the Chargers win out and find a playoff spot), Tony Romo (his numbers are great and if the Cowboys win out he will seriously be in the mix), Matt Ryan (numbers aren't right there) and Michael Turner.
But right now I think the top three on most ballots would be Warner, Manning and Peterson and a lot could change here down the stretch.

midgensa
12-17-2008, 05:24 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

It is all picked before the playoffs even begin I believe.

snowinapril
12-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Warner was written off so many times and look where he is now.

Still rooting for AD though.
Kurt is who we thought he was after last week, a fumbling, running scared QB in front of a fast swarming D-line.
If you have that, you beat Warner.

I liked the guys on NFLN during the probowl selection yesterday, they said that AD still gets his yards with the box stuffed with 8.
Teams haven't respected out pass and have been keying on AD.
Just repeating what they said.

V4L
12-17-2008, 05:36 PM
He needs a couple more TDs and atleast 100 yards each of the next 2 games and a playoff birth to solidify it

singersp
12-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Adrian Peterson for MVP? Teammate and foe say yes (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_11266334?source=rss)

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has earned a spot in the race for the NFL's highest honor.

By Kelsie Smith
ksmith@pioneerpress.com

Article Last Updated: 12/19/2008 03:37:10 AM CST

Adrian Peterson thinks big.

Back in May, he set goals of 2,000 rushing yards and an MVP award for this season....

singersp
12-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Peterson's nine touchdowns put him in a tie for 15th in the NFL, and that low TD mark may be his biggest stumbling block.

Hopefully he gets a bunch of TD's on Sunday.

singersp
12-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Vikings notebook: Peterson gains MVP support (http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/107797/)

Published December 20 2008

By: DAVE CAMPBELL, Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Last season, Adrian Peterson was a runaway winner of the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year award. This time, Peterson is chasing a higher honor.....

COJOMAY
12-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Who picks this award? If it's the sportwriters and sportscasters, AD won't win it. It will be Payton Manning who is "god" to the writers and broadcasters.

NordicNed
12-20-2008, 01:38 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Warner was written off so many times and look where he is now.

Still rooting for AD though.

Kurt is who we thought he was after last week, a fumbling, running scared QB in front of a fast swarming D-line.
If you have that, you beat Warner.

I liked the guys on NFLN during the probowl selection yesterday, they said that AD still gets his yards with the box stuffed with 8.
Teams haven't respected out pass and have been keying on AD.
Just repeating what they said.

Snow, I believe our recent win against the Cardinals, with Kurt at the helm, may be the deciding factor in the end....The fact that Kurt had an off day, and AD had a very good day, may be the deciding factor at the end.....
That is unless, one of the two really outshines the other in the last two games.....If AD has solid games with solid numbers, against the Falcons and Giants, I believe it will be a no brainer for AD......AD is a player who is setting the stage to be one of the all time greats, and I'm loving it....

mexicanfan98
12-20-2008, 01:41 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Who picks this award? If it's the sportwriters and sportscasters, AD won't win it. It will be Payton Manning who is "god" to the writers and broadcasters.

manning has had a hell of a season. His colt team always start fast and end kinda slow. this year its been the other way around. IMO they are the hottest team in league but I still dont think he deserves MVP. Without AD it would have been hard for Gus and T jack (last week) to do some of the things they are doing. He is so valuable to this team i just hope he gets it.

mexicanfan98
12-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Plus Kurt has been sucking it up the last few games with embarrassing losses vs Philly and us he aint looking too good

hav0x
12-20-2008, 02:11 PM
"mexicanfan98" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

manning has had a hell of a season. His colt team always start fast and end kinda slow. this year its been the other way around. IMO they are the hottest team in league but I still dont think he deserves MVP. Without AD it would have been hard for Gus and T jack (last week) to do some of the things they are doing. He is so valuable to this team i just hope he gets it.
He's hardly having a hell of a season. He was struggling up until a few weeks ago when he finally got going. He did amazingly well in the thursday night game though I'll give him that.

LincolnVike
12-20-2008, 02:23 PM
"mexicanfan98" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

Tom Brady would have gotten it this year if he hadn't been injured.
I find him to be more of a "second coming of Christ" figure to sports writers and sportscasters than I do Manning.

ejmat
12-20-2008, 03:03 PM
"LincolnVike" wrote:

"mexicanfan98" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

I find him to be more of a "second coming of Christ" figure to sports writers and sportscasters than I do Manning.

How would you know that Tom Brady would have been MVP this year?
Maybe he would have had a bad year.
You can't predict that.

gregair13
12-20-2008, 03:05 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

"mexicanfan98" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

You can't predict that.

bernard pollard stopped that from happening. he is the true second coming of jesus

SharperImage42
12-20-2008, 03:22 PM
"gregair13" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

"mexicanfan98" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

You can't predict that.

bernard pollard stopped that from happening. he is the true second coming of jesus

The best thing that has ever happened to Tom Brady is him getting injured, he was gonna have a terrible season, now he can use this leg injury as an excuse for a bad season..

And with the Peyton argument this is how i see it.

Vikings w/o AP but with Taylor- 6-8 maybe 5-9
Colts w/o Manning but with Sorgi- 3-11

AP is the man though..

C Mac D
12-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Jim Sorgi = Maytag Repairman.

Irrelevant, I know. I just find it funny.

cunningham
12-20-2008, 04:25 PM
"C" wrote:

Jim Sorgi gets paid to stand. I wish I had his job. :(

C Mac D
12-20-2008, 05:01 PM
"cunningham" wrote:

"C" wrote:

He also literally tried out to be the Maytag Repair man... no joke. The article is below.

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/jim-sorgi-is-willing-to-scrounge-for-endorsement-opportunities-238436.php

cunningham
12-20-2008, 05:25 PM
"C" wrote:

"cunningham" wrote:

"C" wrote:

He also literally tried out to be the Maytag Repair man... no joke. The article is below.

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/jim-sorgi-is-willing-to-scrounge-for-endorsement-opportunities-238436.php

Sorgi seems like a very bored person.

SharperImage42
12-20-2008, 05:44 PM
t-jack for mvp

LincolnVike
12-20-2008, 06:03 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

"mexicanfan98" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

You can't predict that.

You're right, I can't predict that.
But knowing the pant-stretching hard-on some commentators get when they talk about him almost makes you wonder.
I'm speaking on behalf of the commentators themselves.

Vikes_King
12-20-2008, 06:15 PM
"cunningham" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"cunningham" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Sorgi seems like a very bored person.

i would be

DustinDupont
12-20-2008, 07:13 PM
For him to get it we have to win out and he has to have some big games.

singersp
12-21-2008, 05:45 PM
"DustinDupont" wrote:

He isn't exactly having a big day today is he?

so-cal vike
12-21-2008, 05:52 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"DustinDupont" wrote:

He isn't exactly having a big day today is he?

What are you talking about?
He's going to make all the highlight reels today.
:P

Sad to say but Peterson is not the MVP.
Too many fumbles.

gregair13
12-21-2008, 07:31 PM
he lost it today unless he runs for huge amounts next week and we still get in

V4L
12-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Brees gets it hands down IMO

TARKenton
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Peterson is by far the MVP......

For the falcons today

so-cal vike
12-21-2008, 07:39 PM
"TARKenton" wrote:

Peterson is by far the MVP......

For the falcons today

That's harsh.

HoosierVike
12-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Shiancoe is MVP..hands down..lol

DeathtoDenny
12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Brees gets it hands down IMO

Name another MVP on a team that missed the playoffs. "Brees almost got 'em there! MVP!"

V4L
12-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Ill put money on it that he gets it

NDVikingFan66
12-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Fumbles

Purple Floyd
12-21-2008, 08:50 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Really?

V4L
12-21-2008, 08:51 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Really?

Not much but I will lol

ejmat
12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
If Brees breaks Marino's record he deserves a consideration whether or not his team was in the playoffs.
Peterson should not be considered unless he rushes for over 300 yards next week and gets 2000 for the season.
Sorry but his amount of fumbles is ridiculous to be given MVP.
Demarcus Ware deserves consideration as well.

IMO it should be between those two.
Manning, no because he started off slow.
Although he had a good season overall I think Brees and Ware deserve it over him.

V4L
12-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I actually switched my stance

I think Deangelo Williams will get it.. With Brees second

bleedpurple
12-22-2008, 11:21 AM
"V4L" wrote:

I actually switched my stance

I think Deangelo Williams will get it.. With Brees second

i hate to say it but i think it might be Peyton that get's it... you know the media loves him.. and they've won 8 straight... I'll be pissed if he does... even if Eli does, bc that team only wins when jacobs plays well.. he's the diffrence maker on that team!..

is it me or is anyone else tired of the Manning's getting accolaids they shouldn't be getting??.. (i.e. both superbowl mvp's)

Purple Floyd
12-22-2008, 11:31 AM
It will be the Colts version of Manning.

bleedpurple
12-22-2008, 11:34 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

It will be the Colts version of Manning.

i think so too but i'm not sure he deserves it!!

Marrdro
12-22-2008, 12:10 PM
No way in hell he gets it now.

Heck they (NFLN) were talking this weekend about the fact that he probably wouldn't get it because he had to come on passing downs as the biggest detractor and his fumbles as the next biggest detractor.

Bet the Fumbles are now the biggest detractor.

marstc09
12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
"V4L" wrote:

You lost your mind.

How much? I'm in.

HEY
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Heck they (NFLN) were talking this weekend about the fact that he probably wouldn't get it because he had to come on passing downs as the biggest detractor and his fumbles as the next biggest detractor.

I gotta agree with 'em. I think the last game was the last straw. Our running back coach needs to teach 'em how to hold onto the ball better.

Another player that shouldn't be a MVP this season is Kurt Warner. In the last two games, Kurt Warner has done close to nothing. He even got benched against the Patriots in the 3rd quarter.

Marrdro
12-22-2008, 12:34 PM
"HEY" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I gotta agree with 'em. I think the last game was the last straw. Our running back coach needs to teach 'em how to hold onto the ball better.

Another player that shouldn't be a MVP this season is Kurt Warner. In the last two games, Kurt Warner has done close to nothing. He even got benched against the Patriots in the 3rd quarter.

Truth be told I hate awards like this.
Takes away from the whole "Team concept" but if they gotta do it then I could think of others that warrant it much more than Warner.

Like how Cassell has answered the call.
Bree's has done alot more with alot less than Warner.
Chad deserves at least to be in the discussion.
Several defensive standouts should be included as well, however, traditionally this is a QB love fest for the voters.

Again, not a fan of the award and think it should be done away with....