PDA

View Full Version : Vikings secure tiebreaker over Bears - Vikings still the division favorite

singersp
12-08-2008, 07:04 AM
Vikings secure tiebreaker over Bears (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-08-haugh-britedec08,0,2248048.story)

By

David Haugh
Tribune reporter

9:57 PM CST, December 7, 2008

Lovie Smith was doing some scoreboard-watching Sunday, but not the kind you might think....

SKOL
12-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks singer.

I'm not sure I understand all the tiebreaker scenario's after head-to-head.
We have three conference games left and the Bears have two.
It seems like there would be a lot left up in the air... unless they have a terrible record against the NFC.
I guess I'm too lazy to look into it.

Vikeman
12-08-2008, 07:35 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings secure tiebreaker over Bears (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-08-haugh-britedec08,0,2248048.story)

By

David Haugh
Tribune reporter

9:57 PM CST, December 7, 2008

Lovie Smith was doing some scoreboard-watching Sunday, but not the kind you might think....

The tie-breaker is huge.
Just observations from yesterday.
If the Wil. boys stay on the field, I like our chances.

The next opponent--the Cards-- who won big yesterday and locked up div.
Lot's of celebrating.
Prime for a letdown next week.

Falcons are showing a few chinks in the armour.
The Vikes beat the team they lost to yesterday and are 2-1 vs. NFC south.

Last 2 meetings with Giants the vikes dominated on the road.
They match up well with this team, and this time it's at home where the Vikes are 5-1. The G-men are also showing a few chinks in the armour, as well.
If Philly can beat them on the road, well....

skum
12-08-2008, 07:44 AM
we can clinch next week ;)

SKOL
12-08-2008, 07:51 AM
So if we win just one of our next three games the Bears would have to win-out in order to take the division.

carta4eva
12-08-2008, 07:52 AM
We now have a reason to watch thursday night football this week and what sweet vengeance would it be if given the opportunity to clinch the division in the same place we choked it away just 5 short seasons ago :'(
I bet you KWILL, Matty-B, & Mt. Mckinnie remember the heartbreak of that game... Let's go cook them birds in the desert.... GO SAINTS give us the opportunity to make this scenario plausible

Vikeman
12-08-2008, 08:30 AM
"carta4eva" wrote:

We now have a reason to watch thursday night football this week and what sweet vengeance would it be if given the opportunity to clinch the division in the same place we choked it away just 5 short seasons ago :'(
I bet you KWILL, Matty-B, & Mt. Mckinnie remember the heartbreak of that game... Let's go cook them birds in the desert.... GO SAINTS give us the opportunity to make this scenario plausible

Those guys had better remember that game in Arizona.
I will never forget that one.

kevoncox
12-08-2008, 08:37 AM
"Vikeman" wrote:

"carta4eva" wrote:

Those guys had better remember that game in Arizona.
I will never forget that one.

Nate poole and the ref must Dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

MN_SkolVikings_NC
12-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Chicago and Green Bay loses this week, we can clinch the NFC North with a Win at Arizona.

I am cheering hard for New Orleans this Thursday, Jacksonville on Sunday morning and, of course, my beloved Purple in the afternoon!

Skol!

carta4eva
12-08-2008, 08:55 AM
"MN_SkolVikings_NC" wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Chicago and Green Bay loses this week, we can clinch the NFC North with a Win at Arizona.

I am cheering hard for New Orleans this Thursday, Jacksonville on Sunday morning and, of course, my beloved Purple in the afternoon!

Skol!

green bay is a non-factor now as long as we win one more game, but yes with a bears loss and a vikes win, we capture our first ever NFC North title ;D

MN_SkolVikings_NC
12-08-2008, 09:15 AM
"carta4eva" wrote:

Skol!

green bay is a non-factor now as long as we win one more game, but yes with a bears loss and a vikes win, we capture our first ever NFC North title ;D

GB is still a little bit of a factor, because if Chicago and us lose all of our games, and GB wins out, they own the tiebreakers over us right now.
Although it's a long shot, we still need them to lose.

carta4eva
12-08-2008, 09:26 AM

"carta4eva" wrote:

Skol!

GB is still a little bit of a factor, because if Chicago and us lose all of our games, and GB wins out, they own the tiebreakers over us right now.

Well I am thinking along the lines that if we cannot beat one of three teams which have provided some of the most devastating losses for our beloved purple the past ten year (nate poole, 41-0, and the Choke Job in the Dome in '98) then we don't deserve a playoff birth... but it's moot point because we're gonna roll the Cardinals on the road, and hopefully Chicago loses so we can clinch the NFC North in the same place we so dreadfully choked it away the only time we had a chance to win the "NFC NORTH"

MN_SkolVikings_NC
12-08-2008, 09:46 AM
"carta4eva" wrote:

"carta4eva" wrote:

Skol!

Well I am thinking along the lines that if we cannot beat one of three teams which have provided some of the most devastating losses for our beloved purple the past ten year (nate poole, 41-0, and the Choke Job in the Dome in '98) then we don't deserve a playoff birth... but it's moot point because we're gonna roll the Cardinals on the road, and hopefully Chicago loses so we can clinch the NFC North in the same place we so dreadfully choked it away the only time we had a chance to win the "NFC NORTH"

AGREED!
Packers suck too bad to worry about them going 3-0 over the stretch.
Playoffs, here we come!

kevoncox
12-08-2008, 10:54 AM
We are in third place in the NFC. I can't beleive it. You string together a few wins and you are right in the thick of things. This team is almost playing to my expectations The O just needs to step it up a bit more.

vikesfargo
12-08-2008, 04:59 PM
List of Reasons why we need to beat the Cards

1. The Cards beat us in that fluke game a few years ago and knocked us out of the playoffs.

2. It would be our 9th win of the season, guaranteeing a winning record in the regular season.

3. A 9-win regular season would represent improvement over last year's 8-8 mark.

4. A 9-win regular season would be the first winning season for Brad Childress.

5. If the Bears beat the Saints, a win over the Cards means staying ahead of the Bears.

6. If the Saints beat the Bears, a win over the Cards means winning the NFC North division, the first time the Vikings would have done it.

7. Winning the division clinches the first playoff spot with the new uniforms.

8. Beating the Cardinals head-to-head secures a tiebreaker advantage for the Vikings in playoff seeding. The Cards have clinched the NFC West.

9. Beating the pass-happy Cardinals will mean our passing defense is improving over the course of the season.

10. Beating the Cardinals keeps us in the hunt for a bye (#2 seed) in the playoffs.

C Mac D
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
"vikesfargo" wrote:

1. The Cards beat us in that fluke game a few years ago and knocked us out of the playoffs.

2. It would be our 9th win of the season, guaranteeing a winning record in the regular season.

3. A 9-win regular season would represent improvement over last year's 8-8 mark.

5. If the Bears beat the Saints, a win over the Cards means staying ahead of the Bears.

6. If the Saints beat the Bears, a win over the Cards means winning the NFC North division, the first time the Vikings would have done it.

8. Beating the Cardinals head-to-head secures a tiebreaker advantage for the Vikings in playoff seeding. The Cards have clinched the NFC West.

9. Beating the pass-happy Cardinals will mean our passing defense is improving over the course of the season.

10. Beating the Cardinals keeps us in the hunt for a bye (#2 seed) in the playoffs.

List of Reasons why we'll lose:

1. We're the Vikings.

BadlandsVikings
12-08-2008, 05:02 PM
"C" wrote:

"vikesfargo" wrote:

1. We're the Vikings.

2. Dissapointment is all we know

thorshammer
12-08-2008, 07:16 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"vikesfargo" wrote:

1. We're the Vikings.

2. Dissapointment is all we know

Dude there you go with those negative vibes ... you were on a roll til the end.....

erik5032
12-08-2008, 07:20 PM
You know how some players like Elway, Montana, Rice etc etc... play even better in the Playoffs then in the regular season? I wonder what AD will do with his first ever playoff run?

PurplePeopleEaters
12-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Don't forget that this would be the first time the Vikings have ever won the "NFC North" if we do indeed pull away from the bears this week. If a bears loss on Thursday and the NFC north crown staring them in the face can't get them fired up, I don't know what can.

VikingsTw
12-08-2008, 07:37 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Don't forget that this would be the first time the Vikings have ever won the "NFC North" if we do indeed pull away from the bears this week. If a bears loss on Thursday and the NFC north crown staring them in the face can't get them fired up, I don't know what can.

Say Huh? NFC North title hasn't been our in awhile but we have definitly held it.

midgensa
12-08-2008, 07:38 PM

"carta4eva" wrote:

Skol!

We don't NEED them to lose. All we have to do is win one game and they are eliminated. We don't NEED anyone to lose. We just need to take care of our business.

midgensa
12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

So if we win just one of our next three games the Bears would have to win-out in order to take the division.

That is correct.

midgensa
12-08-2008, 07:40 PM

Skol!

What Green Bay does does not matter. If the Bears lose and we win ... then we clinch.

DustinDupont
12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
that is sweet

VikingsTw
12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
The Bears have the Saints and Packers at home then they go to Houston last game of the season. They can win out but it won't be easy.

midgensa
12-08-2008, 07:43 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

Say Huh? NFC North title hasn't been our in awhile but we have definitly held it.

No ... we have never won the NFC North. Only the NFC Central.

Bill
12-08-2008, 09:24 PM
can anyone post a link to ESPN, CBS, CNNSI playoffs Scenario.

i try searching google and nothing.

PurplePeopleEaters
12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

We have never won the NFC north crown. We have won the central, but not the north.

Mikecarter81
12-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey thats some good news, but man its complicated this year, all the senarios that get played out!

Mike

huxx
12-08-2008, 09:49 PM
"vikesfargo" wrote:

All great points.
#9 would be huge for us.
We're really going to have to pound AD and CT to control that clock.

purplehelmut
12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
We might have the breaker over the Bears, but we still need ten wins, which means winning two of our last three.
The Bears will win out folks.
New Orleans is a soft dome team that relies on the pass.
That won't fly at Soldier.
Green Bay has absolutely nothing to play for and will be on the road.
I hold out some hope that they will have enough pride to lay it out, but I don't see it happening.
Houston is out of it and the Bears will face a must win to take the division by a game, if we lose two of the next three.
The Vikings hold their own destiny- win out and you're in with a possible bye.
Screw up and sit at home.

C Mac D
12-09-2008, 09:18 AM
"purplehelmut" wrote:

We might have the breaker over the Bears, but we still need ten wins, which means winning two of our last three.
I hold out some hope that they will have enough pride to lay it out, but I don't see it happening.
Houston is out of it and the Besrs will face a must win to take the division by a game, if we lose two of the next three.

There's absolutely no guarantee the Bears will beat the Saints... the NFC South is possibly the best division in Football this year, and the Bears are in a weak NFC North.

BleedinPandG
12-09-2008, 09:24 AM
"C" wrote:

"purplehelmut" wrote:

Houston is out of it and the Besrs will face a must win to take the division by a game, if we lose two of the next three.

There's absolutely no guarantee the Bears will beat the Saints... the NFC is possibly the best division in Football this year, and the Bears are in a weak NFC North.

I hate when people say a "weak" NFC North.
The only real weak divisions this year are the one Denver plays in and the one AZ plays in... the West??

I don't believe a single team looks at the Vikings, the Bears, or the Packers as a sure W on their schedule.
All 3 are very competitive teams capable of beating any team on a Sunday.
We may not be the NFC East or South where every team is above .500 but we have 3 very competitive football teams.
We may not have an "elite" team this year, but we have 3 strong teams in the division.

PurpleTide
12-09-2008, 09:26 AM
We need to take care of our own business, and get another win at the Red Bird's nest in Arizona. Of course I am pulling for the Saints to spoil the Bores season, and never discount a division game as the Pack still could beat Chi-town. Just gotta win, it's as obvious a sports clishay as they come, just gotta take care of your own business, and not depend on others.

purplehelmut
12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
"C" wrote:

"purplehelmut" wrote:

There's absolutely no guarantee the Bears will beat the Saints... the NFC South is possibly the best division in Football this year, and the Bears are in a weak NFC North.

Never mentioned any guarantee, but if I was a bettin' man I'd say the Bears have the advantage over the Saints at Soldier.
If it was down South I'd lean to the Saints.
My point is the Bears look to have a very good chance to beat the last three teams on their schedule, none of which look to be making the playoffs.
The Vikings, on the other hand, play three playoff contenders and have a much tougher row to hoe.
That is why we must win two of our last three- it guarantees the division.

marstc09
12-09-2008, 09:45 AM
"purplehelmut" wrote:

New Orleans is bad on the road (1-5). Green Bay does has something to play for. Except if they lose this weekend. But Green Bay does not want to lose to the Bears. Houston is tough. They gave us a run for our money and beat Green Bay at home. They are 4-2 at home. With the Bears weak pass D and declining run D, I have to think they will lose at least one of these. We are not going to win out. If we do that would be sweet but damn its tough. 2 Division winners and one who still has a chance. I have to think we can pull off at least one. It would suck to have another letdown. I don't know how many more I can take.

MN_SkolVikings_NC
12-09-2008, 09:53 AM
"purplehelmut" wrote:

The Bear swill win out?
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.
I am sorry, but I think the Saints will put a sweet beating on the Bears this Thursday.
Green Bay is never an easy win for Chicago, and Houston just beat Green Bay, so don't count them out.

pattyosviKING
12-09-2008, 09:56 AM
"C" wrote:

"purplehelmut" wrote:

And I will be there to root for the Saints (don't know how loud I will be.
Don't want to get hurt, if not rooting for the Vikes.)
But I will definitely be sporting purple and gold under my many layers.

GO SAINTS

Purple Floyd
12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
We win, We're in.

It doesn't get any simpler than that. Everything else will sort itself out.

V4L
12-09-2008, 01:57 PM
We control our own destiny

UH OH

midgensa
12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"purplehelmut" wrote:

There's absolutely no guarantee the Bears will beat the Saints... the NFC is possibly the best division in Football this year, and the Bears are in a weak NFC North.

I hate when people say a "weak" NFC North.
The only real weak divisions this year are the one Denver plays in and the one AZ plays in... the West??

I don't believe a single team looks at the Vikings, the Bears, or the Packers as a sure W on their schedule.
All 3 are very competitive teams capable of beating any team on a Sunday.
We may not be the NFC East or South where every team is above .500 but we have 3 very competitive football teams.
We may not have an "elite" team this year, but we have 3 strong teams in the division.

I hate when people spell out shit we already know too. Like ... if the Bears win out and get to 10 wins and we only end up with 9 wins we wont win the division. No shit Sherlock.
The point is we already have the tie-breaker with the Bears ... period ... which is HUGE. Yes, I actuaally expect the Bears to lose another game because they have not won three in a row all season. They have strung two wins together TWICE. No reason to think they all of a sudden are going to reel off four in a row ... no matter how weak YOU think their opponents are.
Also ... as mentioned ... the North is NOT weak. It is a solid division with one VERY weak team and three solid but not elite teams. The NFC West and AFC West are both WEAK ... the NFC East and NFC South are both STRONG.
The NFC North is somewhere in the middle of the pack. At worst there are three divisions worse than ours (the aforementioned and the AFC North).

Marrdro
12-10-2008, 12:24 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

We win, We're in.

Great post.

By the way, second year in a row we have had this kindof dilema haven't we?

Fire Childress.
(And all his staff) ;D

i_bleed_purple
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

We win, We're in.

Great post.

Fire Childress.
(And all his staff) ;D

I remember this dilema all too often

2004, we win, we're in...oops, lost to the cardinals
2005, we win, we're in...oops, lost to the redskins (still got some help and backed in that year though..)
2007, we win, we're in...oops, lost to the redskins again....
2008, we win, we're in...oops, (still to be determined)

C Mac D
12-10-2008, 12:32 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

We win, We're in.

Great post.

Fire Childress.
(And all his staff) ;D

2005, we win, we're in...oops, lost to the redskins (still got some help and backed in that year though..)

If we finish 8-8, Childress should be fired without question.

Jereamiah
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
"C" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

We win, We're in.

Great post.

Fire Childress.
(And all his staff) ;D

If we finish 8-8, Childress should be fired without question.
If that happens (8-8) I don't think it's even a question. But how about just a win over the Cards? If the team losses, then start worrying. Alot of people thought all the planets were alligned for the Lions to win. Didn't happen.

BloodyHorns82
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

We win, We're in.

Great post.

Fire Childress.
(And all his staff) ;D

Way to stay positive.

The sky is falling!
The sky is falling!

C Mac D
12-10-2008, 12:39 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

We win, We're in.

Great post.

Fire Childress.
(And all his staff) ;D

Way to stay positive.

The sky is falling!
The sky is falling!

Eh... can't deny facts though.

El Vikingo
12-10-2008, 12:39 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

We win, We're in.

Great post.

Fire Childress.
(And all his staff) ;D

I am possibly
mistaken ,as usual,but in that previous years we did not have a 2 games margin,and we didn´t need 1 victory out 3 games left to be in the playoffs.We just can´t ruin it all or can´t we?
::)

Jereamiah
12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
The'Vikes will make it. You wanna know Why I'm so sure? Because I won't get to watch the miracle run through the play-offs. I watch, watch, suffer, watch, get high hopes, suffer, suffer more, nothing. I watch with mixed expectations, something comes up and and don't get to watch. I will miss the play-offs. Vikings go on to win it all. Just my luck. Simple. I believe. ;D

Marrdro
12-10-2008, 12:48 PM
"Jereamiah" wrote:

The'Vikes will make it. You wanna know Why I'm so sure? Because I won't get to watch the miracle run through the play-offs. I watch, watch, suffer, watch, get high hopes, suffer, suffer more, nothing. I watch with mixed expectations, something comes up and and don't get to watch. I will miss the play-offs. Vikings go on to win it all. Just my luck. Simple. I believe. ;D

LOL, missed a few myself my friend.

AFRTS just isn't the same as being there or the "Ticket"..... ;D

Jereamiah
12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Jereamiah" wrote:

LOL, missed a few myself my friend.

AFRTS just isn't the same as being there or the "Ticket"..... ;D
Well, as I'll be at the School of Hard Knox until May, Pretty sure I will have undergone complete sensory deprivation. (besides pain) ;D If the team does win it all, Call the Red Cross and have them reach me. It's the only humane thing to do.

singersp
12-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Vikings still the division favorite (http://det.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=820986)

By Viking Update Staff

Posted Dec 13, 2008