PDA

View Full Version : Peterson to get less carries, Taylor to get more carries?

singersp
11-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Childress seeking ways to keep Peterson fresh (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/35107499.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsr)

Chester Taylor might be seeing a little more action in the season's final games.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: November 26, 2008 - 7:27 AM

singersp
11-28-2008, 05:39 PM
This is going to make the AD crotch sniffers who whine that he doesn't get enough carries now, go thru the roof.

V4L
11-28-2008, 06:09 PM
I like it.. Keep him fresher

kspurplepride
11-29-2008, 08:00 AM
What is there to keep
him fresh for if we don't make the playoffs? As much as I love CT as a player, AD gives us the best chance to win and score points when he is on the field. He is bar none the most feared player right now in the league at his position, and he carries that offense on his shoulders. Just another poor coaching decision that is going to cost Chiller his job.

duvaldomo
11-29-2008, 08:17 AM
I like it, CT is the beast that some people forgot. When it comes to AD ofcourse he makes CT look like a bum but I think he will rip it and well see almost the same results

ejmat
11-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Not a bad approach imo.
Of course everyone of us want to see AP with the ball all the time.
The fact is and you can hear it from every NFL RB the hits take their toll.
CT gives us a good chance to win too and he will not be the reason why the Vikings don't win games.
Taylor is a RB that every NFL team would love to have in their backfield.
He has proven he is capable of breaking the big run.
He is capable of catching out of the backfield.
He is a capable blocker.
He is a true all around RB.
The only issue I see is AP seems to do better over the coarse of the game so I would hope it doesn't take away from a rythem.
Nothing wrong with keeping him fresh imo.

singersp
11-29-2008, 09:11 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

Not a bad approach imo.
CT gives us a good chance to win too and he will not be the reason why the Vikings don't win games.
He is a capable blocker.
The only issue I see is AP seems to do better over the coarse of the game so I would hope it doesn't take away from a rythem.

He seems to do better because defenses are tiring, not because he is
getting stronger. AD is in great physical shape & conditioning & I believe puts out just about the same effort with his last run as he does with his first.

I for one have never bought into the "getting into rhythm" theory. If you keep throwing fresh backs & fresh legs at a defense, they are going to beat the defense. When it comes to explosiveness, AD is better, but when it comes to running the ball straight up the gut & busting the line for a few yards for a 1st down, IMO, C-Tay is the man for that.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that when both backs get 50+ yards (I.E. a closer number of carry split) the Vikings are 4-0.

PurpleTide
11-29-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure we take our homerun hitter out of batting fourth. Childress acts like we have the playoffs locked up. This could be a poker face move forcing teams to prepare for both(like they don't already).

Adrian is a beast and thrives on wearing down defenses, and he must get 18-30 touches a game to be effective. I bet we see Adrian returning kickoffs down the stretch, but really I think you run this guy til he says he needs a rest.

singersp
11-29-2008, 09:20 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

I'm not sure we take our homerun hitter out of batting fourth. Childress acts like we have the playoffs locked up. This could be a poker face move forcing teams to prepare for both(like they don't already).

Adrian is a beast and thrives on wearing down defenses, and he must get 18-30 touches a game to be effective. I bet we see Adrian returning kickoffs down the stretch, but really I think you run this guy til he says he needs a rest.

I don't think that's the plan at all.
He will still be batting fourth, but will have endured less hits prior to that.

PurpleTide
11-29-2008, 09:38 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"PurpleTide" wrote:

I don't think that's the plan at all.
He will still be batting fourth, but will have endured less hits prior to that.

CT is the better pinch hitter, and I say sprinkle him in more but if AD is rollin' don't stop the train. 8)

marstc09
11-29-2008, 09:42 AM
This is great unless he decides to still not run the ball more while up 14.

COJOMAY
11-29-2008, 09:45 AM
So far this year:

Taylor - 3.5 yards per carry, 9.4 yards per pass
AD - 4.9 yards per carry, 5.9 yards per pass

ejmat
11-29-2008, 10:48 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

Not a bad approach imo.
He is a capable blocker.

He seems to do better because defenses are tiring, not because he is
getting stronger. AD is in great physical shape & conditioning & I believe puts out just about the same effort with his last run as he does with his first.

I for one have never bought into the "getting into rhythm" theory. If you keep throwing fresh backs & fresh legs at a defense, they are going to beat the defense. When it comes to explosiveness, AD is better, but when it comes to running the ball straight up the gut & busting the line for a few yards for a 1st down, IMO, C-Tay is the man for that.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that when both backs get 50+ yards (I.E. a closer number of carry split) the Vikings are 4-0.

I agree with just about everything Singer.
The only thing I don't is the rythem theory.
Players do get intoa rythem and that is something AP does as well.
Not that he isn't conditioned becasue he is and he does take advantage of tiring defenses.
But when he doesn't have it he just doesn't have it.
We saw that last year toward the end of the season.
When teams took him out of his rythem he didn't seem to find it.
JMO.

Marrdro
11-30-2008, 07:56 AM
I kindof cotton to the "Rhythm" theory......

Every time our OL faces a DL there are things that differ a bit (how long a engagement happens, who fills the hole when the play is strung out etc etc).

Time on the field/plays helps a back figure that kindof stuff out a bit and helps him to help set up his blockers at times.

I also cotton to the "Keep him fresh" theory but not so much on a game by game basis but rather with a career basis in mind.

Long story short, AD, just because of the nature of the beast (how he runs) will only benifit (long term) from a few extra plays off over the length of a season and his career.
Using CT's legs a bit more isn't a bad thing IMHO.

tastywaves
11-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Childress' only concern should be using the players in a way that he believes gives him the best chance for victory.
There is no question that Adrian is the better back and he needs to get the majority of the carries, however, that doesn't mean that Chester can't get his as well.
It needs to be judged by the situation, not some preconceived theory or philosophy on % of carries each should get.

I think they are both being used properly right now, I hope they don't start giving Chester more carries just for the sake of increasing his load and decreasing Adrian's.