PDA

View Full Version : Marcus McCauley

acman1
11-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Whats the deal with him?
Is he hurt?
Does he suck that bad?
Why not give him a chance instead of Griffin?
Also, kinda a random question, but what is Dwayne Rudd doing these days?
I always kinda thought he was a good player.

jessejames09
11-07-2008, 08:18 PM
"acman1" wrote:

Whats the deal with him?
Is he hurt?
Does he suck that bad?
Why not give him a chance instead of Griffin?
Also, kinda a random question, but what is Dwayne Rudd doing these days?
I always kinda thought he was a good player.

Dwayne Rudd was drafted in 1997.

McCauley can't play as well in the slot. He also isn't any better than Cedric on the outside, so he is inactive. The whole bringing in McCauley to cover the opposing teams #1 receiver, and moving Winfield to the nickel corner, on nickel situations didn't work all that well either.

i_bleed_purple
11-07-2008, 10:32 PM
McCauley is a fine example of one of our "quality draft picks from the Chilly era" that didn't work out.

cogitans
11-08-2008, 05:46 AM
He just got beat fair and square in the competition. He might still evolve as a legit corner though

ejmat
11-08-2008, 08:29 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

McCauley is a fine example of one of our "quality draft picks from the Chilly era" that didn't work out.

In case you aren't aware Childress drafted others such as Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice, Brian Robison, Ray Edwards, etc...

My point is not every draft pick ends up being a probowler.
If you get 3 good draft picks a year that's doing damn good.
McCauley was considered a very good draft pick by many experts as was Griffin.
They are both still young and can develope into good players.
But please don't make a statement that Childress made a bad draft decision.
It's rediculous.
I'm not trying to be an ass but come on.

ThorSPL
11-08-2008, 11:31 AM
He actually has not looked too terrible when he played.

He got injured this year and did not apparently work very hard to come back from the injury... that, combined with the "emergence" of Gordon, pretty much kept him in Chilly's doghouse...

Krumb
11-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I was playing Madden last night and thought about this , I like Gordon don't know about him as a punt returner , but he's made a few plays in the Nickel , I'd like to see him spell Cedric from time to time to be honest.

i_bleed_purple
11-08-2008, 12:20 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

In case you aren't aware Childress drafted others such as Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice, Brian Robison, Ray Edwards, etc...

If you get 3 good draft picks a year that's doing damn good.
It's rediculous.
I'm not trying to be an ass but come on.

thats not the point I was getting at, but rather some members here were praising chilly and his "drafting" ability, when really, him (and co.) haven't done much better now than they did in the tice era.
Not saying he's terrible, just not as great as some pretend that he is.

as for your examples, I can't give credit to the staff for finding Peterson and making the decision to get him.
He was the best player available, and should have gone way earlier.
Rice can't stay healty, Robison doesn't even play anymore, and Edwards hasn't impressed this year.

Krumb
11-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Robison is supposed to start tomorrow if Allen can't go

SamOchoCinco
11-08-2008, 01:44 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

but the fact is that childress isnt the only person who drafts..

we have other people in our org. that decides it.

but i wouldnt call Mccauley a bust. isnt he injured anyways?

gamecocksbaseball31
11-08-2008, 04:22 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

If you get 3 good draft picks a year that's doing gol 'darnit good.
It's rediculous.
I'm not trying to be an jiggly butt but come on.

What has Sid really done so far in his two seasons?
Yeah he has a couple of TD catches, and was the proclaimed next Randy Moss by some on here but what has he really done?
He has something like 4 catches this year.
He has been injury plagued etc.
He really hasn't done anything as of yet.

PackSux!
11-08-2008, 08:29 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

It's rediculous.

thats not the point I was getting at, but rather some members here were praising chilly and his "drafting" ability, when really, him (and co.) haven't done much better now than they did in the tice era.

as for your examples, I can't give credit to the staff for finding Peterson and making the decision to get him.
Rice can't stay healty, Robison doesn't even play anymore, and Edwards hasn't impressed this year.

Incase you forgot we traded for Jared Allen, and that is the reason why we dont see Salt and pepper on the field together as much.

Besides the drafting you have to look at the long term contracts the staff has gave to the core players and the free agents we have brought in.
From day one Ziggy said he wanted to build a dynasty, not a one year wonder.

I believe in this team and the ownership and the decisions they have made.

ejmat
11-08-2008, 10:05 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

It's rediculous.

Incase you forgot we traded for Jared Allen, and that is the reason why we dont see Salt and pepper on the field together as much.

Besides the drafting you have to look at the long term contracts the staff has gave to the core players and the free agents we have brought in.

From day one Ziggy said he wanted to build a dynasty, not a one year wonder.

I believe in this team and the ownership and the decisions they have made.

Speaking about Rice there's not a whole lot you can do if the QB hasn't thrown him the ball and when he was injured of course he hasn't doen anything.
However when given the opportunity he has produced.
You can say that about anyone that gets hurt.
What have they done?

My point is McCauley hasn't done anything yet to warrant him as a bust.
The fact is he was drafted and it was a good draft pick according to many experts.

Big C
11-08-2008, 10:29 PM
I agree with Krumb. I am a little suprised that Gordon hasn't replaced Griffin as the starter. I think his man coverage is way better than Griffin's. Watch for the Pack to go after Griffin all day :(.

As for McCauley, I think he is very solid. However injury during training camp made Gordon and Sapp much more ready for the season. I am comfortable with him fighting for a the nickel, dime or starting CB position next year. For now, we have the best 4 CBs on the team starting.

Somone mentioned Jared Allen so I will pitch in. Allen hasn't been a factor against GB - even while he was Chief. So I am comfortable with him healing up and Robison getting some solid playing time. He has the physical tools and motor for it. I thought we would be crippled once EJ got hurt but Nappy has stepped up. I have confidence in the coaching staff to make sure Robison doesn't suck.

V4L
11-08-2008, 11:20 PM
There is no way Gordan should be starting over Cedric

Gordan looked lost last game

I saw him running down field a few times and not looking back and letting throws underneath him and wasn't able to get in for a tackle until it was after 20 yards or so

duvaldomo
11-09-2008, 02:16 AM
"Big" wrote:

I agree with Krumb. I am a little suprised that Gordon hasn't replaced Griffin as the starter. I think his man coverage is way better than Griffin's. Watch for the Pack to go after Griffin all day :(.

As for McCauley, I think he is very solid. However injury during training camp made Gordon and Sapp much more ready for the season. I am comfortable with him fighting for a the nickel, dime or starting CB position next year. For now, we have the best 4 CBs on the team starting.

Somone mentioned Jared Allen so I will pitch in. Allen hasn't been a factor against GB - even while he was Chief. So I am comfortable with him healing up and Robison getting some solid playing time. He has the physical tools and motor for it. I thought we would be crippled once EJ got hurt but Nappy has stepped up. I have confidence in the coaching staff to make sure Robison doesn't suck.

I didnt really follow GB vs KC game but I did see a highlight of allen sacking the hell outta farve one time. But he did get owned the first game of the season

singersp
11-09-2008, 06:38 AM
"Big" wrote:

Watch for the Pack to go after Griffin all day :(.

And watch to see who tackles the receivers on the throws in Griffin's direction.

Cedric is #23 BTW.

ejmat
11-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I guess the Gordon situation is moot now that he broke his ankle.

cogitans
11-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah I guess that could mean some time on the field for Marcus

C Mac D
11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing Sapp play more... McCauley is so-so at best.

i_bleed_purple
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
"SamOchoCinco" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

yet a bunch of you were jumpin on Erasmus James as a bust.

V4L
11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"SamOchoCinco" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

He is he doesn't do anything

And he also was a pretty high first round pick

tastywaves
11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
"C" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

I don't know. I haven't seen anything out of Sapp yet, mostly because he hasn't had the opportunity in MN, but he kind of scares me when he's out there.
McCauley I feel a little better about, just not sure how to best utilize him with AW and Griffin.

C Mac D
11-10-2008, 05:15 PM
"tastywaves" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

I don't know. I haven't seen anything out of Sapp yet, mostly because he hasn't had the opportunity in MN, but he kind of scares me when he's out there.
McCauley I feel a little better about, just not sure how to best utilize him with AW and Griffin.

Sapp had a great training camp... but has seen very little action this year, not sure how you can judge him based on that.

I say give the kid a chance!

ejmat
11-10-2008, 05:19 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"SamOchoCinco" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

He is he doesn't do anything

And he also was a pretty high first round pick

Yes James is considered a bust.
Being he was here like 3 years and did absolutely nothing for the team.
He was a 1st round draft picvk.
So yes, he is considered a bust.

tastywaves
11-10-2008, 05:24 PM
"C" wrote:

"tastywaves" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

Sapp had a great training camp... but has seen very little action this year, not sure how you can judge him based on that.

I say give the kid a chance!

He'll get his chances no doubt with Gordon out, regardless of how much McCauley plays.
I just don't have a lot of faith in him from the little I've seen him play.
JMO, but I would rather see McCauley take a bigger role of the two.

C Mac D
11-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I saw enough of McCauley getting burned last season to have my fill.

Anyone remember when our coaching staff had McCauley covering Santana Moss last season? Geniuses...

Dekay
11-10-2008, 05:30 PM
We are smoked if they put in McCauley to cover anyone!

SamOchoCinco
11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
"C" wrote:

Anyone remember when our coaching staff had McCauley covering Santana Moss last season? Geniuses...

oh god! that would be a nightmare!

lets hope we never have a idea like that again!

tastywaves
11-10-2008, 05:45 PM
"C" wrote:

You think your boy Sapp would do any better?
I know that was a jab at the coaches, but to try and stay on point, I don't see Sapp covering any better than MM against #1's.

I would guess that he is being penciled in as the nickel to replace Gordon, so you should get to see more of him this week.
He's a 5 year guy that has been a starter for only a few games, getting a nickel job or filling in for an injured CB is probably the best he can expect to get.
In a nickel role, Sapp may be better than McCauley.
If Griffin or AW go down, I would rather see McCauley fill in.

C Mac D
11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
"tastywaves" wrote:

"C" wrote:

I know that was a jab at the coaches, but to try and stay on point, I don't see Sapp covering any better than MM against #1's.

I would guess that he is being penciled in as the nickel to replace Gordon, so you should get to see more of him this week.
He's a 5 year guy that has been a starter for only a few games, getting a nickel job or filling in for an injured CB is probably the best he can expect to get.

That's fine... to each their own. But, McCauley has never done anything to impress me.

I don't expect Sapp to play more than a nickel CB, but I'll put money on the fact that he makes an imprint.

I'll even say he gets a pick in the next two weeks....

tastywaves
11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
"C" wrote:

"tastywaves" wrote:

"C" wrote:

That's fine... to each their own. But, McCauley has never done anything to impress me.

I don't expect Sapp to play more than a nickel CB, but I'll put money on the fact that he makes an imprint.

I'll even say he gets a pick in the next two weeks....

Sapp likes to gamble, so you might be right.

McCauley was thrust into a starter role as a rookie when AW got injured.
He got fried a number of times, but he also made some plays.
He at least has potential and is probably the most athletic corner on our team.
He may turn out to be a bust, but don't think you can say it yet.

ThorSPL
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
MM also likes to take risks - he lit up the preseason last year doing exactly that.

Hopefully his time on the bench has helped him learn the game better.