PDA

View Full Version : Schaub whines that Jared Allen took a cheap shot - Allen Fined $50,000

singersp
11-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Allen draws ire of Texans (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6097834.html)

Plays involving Vikings DE sent to NFL for review

By JOHN McCLAIN
Houston Chronicle

Nov. 6, 2008, 1:48AM

Texans quarterback Matt Schaub didn’t exonerate Minnesota defensive end Jared Allen when asked if he had been the victim of a cheap shot that caused him to suffer a torn medial collateral ligament in last Sunday’s 28-21 loss to the Vikings.

“Well, I think it was,” Schaub said. “The ball was already gone, and a player (Allen) went for my leg, which isn’t what they’re supposed to be doing. That’s all I can say.”..

Tad7
11-06-2008, 08:11 AM
I'm tired of hearing it was a cheap shot.

He was blocked away from the QB, then once he got away from the blocker he lost his footing trying to go back at him, and made one last effort to dive for the sack after he fell. Nothing intentionally dirty or cheap at all.

HEY
11-06-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm pretty shure it wasn't intended. Allen seems like such a nice guy.

From the article:

After the game, a Houston television cameraman caught Allen apologizing to Schaub.

“You all right?” Allen said to Schaub. “I didn’t mean to hit you. I didn’t mean to hit your knee like that. I came back (inaudible) falling forward. I was slipping, and I was like (expletive). If it makes you feel better, Pitts separated my shoulder.”

Suick
11-06-2008, 08:31 AM
After I saw the replay a few times I suspected fines would come about. That's the nature of the beast in today's game.

duvaldomo
11-06-2008, 08:41 AM
wow another hasselbeck story? NFL players are kids these days yo

VikingMike
11-06-2008, 08:43 AM
This is one of those plays where the fans for the injured player call it a cheap shot. If it happened to our QB, we would too.

But I don't think there was any intention to hurt Schaub. Allen was blocked wide, tried to step up to close the gap, slipped and then lunged at Schaub. The whole play took what, less than 3 seconds from snap to hit?

He's not a dirty player, and IMO it was not a cheap shot. But like Suick said, he'll probably be fined.

Formo
11-06-2008, 05:46 PM
It's freakin' football.

BadlandsVikings
11-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Get it over with and put a dress on the QB's

ejmat
11-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Schaub is just mad becasue we wouldn't offer more draft picks to trade for him

gregair13
11-06-2008, 07:33 PM
It might have been a touch late, but meh. Allen was beastin and schaub should have gotten out of the way

VKG4LFE
11-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Cry me a freakin' river schaub! It's not his fault your vajayjay was bleeding!

V4L
11-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Pansy

midgensa
11-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Simply put ... if you had taken a knee like the vag you are you would not have gotten hurt.

ThorSPL
11-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Don't fines come out today??
Any update?

V4L
11-07-2008, 01:58 PM
http://ballhype.com/video/jared_allen_s_two_low_hits_on_matt_schaub_dirty_plays/

I think it was dirty

I dont think he meant to hurt him.. But he did dive at his legs

Good fine there

Del Rio
11-07-2008, 02:03 PM
That is what I like to see out of my DE's. 100 miles an hour do your job. I dont want you stopping to think about anything he is a piece of meat and you are a predator.

Thats your life Schaub, and as much as the NFL tries to protect you and promote a high flying pass oriented product in order to rake in ungodly ammounts of money from the lemings, you are now and always will be a piece of meat.

I cant say I am sorry the inside of your leg looks like hamburger, and no if it happened to my QB I wouldnt call it cheap I would call it a DE doing his job.

Mr Anderson
11-07-2008, 02:04 PM
"V4L" wrote:

http://ballhype.com/video/jared_allen_s_two_low_hits_on_matt_schaub_dirty_plays/

I think it was dirty

I dont think he meant to hurt him.. But he did dive at his legs

Good fine there

It's the only way he could make the play though, just like the hit on Brady week 1.

He was fighting off a block the whole time, then slipped up, and still got to the QB, come on... dude's got a motor that's for sure.

V4L
11-07-2008, 02:05 PM
"Del" wrote:

That is what I like to see out of my DE's. 100 miles an hour do your job. I dont want you stopping to think about anything he is a piece of meat and you are a predator.

Thats your life Schaub, and as much as the NFL tries to protect you and promote a high flying pass oriented product in order to rake in ungodly ammounts of money from the lemings, you are now and always will be a piece of meat.

I cant say I am sorry the inside of your leg looks like hamburger, and no if it happened to my QB I wouldnt call it cheap I would call it a DE doing his job.

I agree with this

I guess I wouldn't call it dirty I would just call it against the rules

And do you think the NFL is getting away from what made the NFL the NFL?

It's gonna turn into a game of chess soon

LincolnVike
11-07-2008, 02:08 PM
"Del" wrote:

A system that robs Peter to pay Paul will always support Paul.
My guess is that the NFL will find a way to make Schaub's case legit and continue the phenomenon of nonsense in protecting the QB.

Mr Anderson
11-07-2008, 02:10 PM
"LincolnVike" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

A system that robs Peter to pay Paul will always support Paul.
My guess is that the NFL will find a way to make Schaub's case legit and continue the phenomenon of nonsense in protecting the QB.

There's not much more that can happen to protect the QB's knees after Carson Palmer.... not until someone's leg actually separates from their body.

Del Rio
11-07-2008, 02:41 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

I agree with this

I think the NFL is doing what it was created to do which is make money. By tailoring the rules to promote deep passes and explosve offenses it is like seasoning a steak. A cherry on top of an ice cream. The game alone is amazing, to make it so you cant leave your couch because you might miss a 85 yard bomb is brilliant.

I'm not a fan and I enjoy seeing hard hits, attitude, and most importantly effort. I like watching Hines Ward a WR knock the snot out of a guy who is not paying attention and going 50%. I like Jared Allen fighting to get to the QB with the intent of dismembering him. That is what I experienced playing ball, that is what I like in football. So I agree it is against the rules and I enjoy he does it anyways. If he wasnt already making 700 billion trillion dollars I would suggest we pay for his fine.

V4L
11-07-2008, 02:44 PM
"Del" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

I agree with this

I think the NFL is doing what it was created to do which is make money. By tailoring the rules to promote deep passes and explosve offenses it is like seasoning a steak. A cherry on top of an ice cream. The game alone is amazing, to make it so you cant leave your couch because you might miss a 85 yard bomb is brilliant.

I'm not a fan and I enjoy seeing hard hits, attitude, and most importantly effort. I like watching Hines Ward a WR knock the snot out of a guy who is not paying attention and going 50%. I like Jared Allen fighting to get to the QB with the intent of dismembering him. That is what I experienced playing ball, that is what I like in football. So I agree it is against the rules and I enjoy he does it anyways. If he wasnt already making 700 billion trillion dollars I would suggest we pay for his fine.

Agreed 100 percent

I watched clips of older QBs getting demolished and no flags thrown.. And the QBs got up and didn't complain

I remember growing up and seeing the game slowly turn into what it is now and all the flags being thrown and more rules being incorporated

U should post more my friend

AngloVike
11-07-2008, 03:51 PM
It's a tough sport, if you don't like it then get out of the game. Those were down to Allen playing a full speed, maybe if the Texans LT played better then they wouldn't have happened.
This rate the league will be putting players back to flag football

Bkfldviking
11-07-2008, 04:41 PM
The fine was a big one. :o

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/

The NFL just announced that defensive end Jared Allen was fined $50,000 for “two plays considered roughing the passer,” according to an NFL spokesman.

“In both instances, he struck the opposing quarterback below the knee area,” a spokesperson said in an email.

triedandtruevikesfan
11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
So lame.
This really is turning into a pansy sport.
Just let the boys play.

AngloVike
11-07-2008, 04:44 PM
"Bkfldviking" wrote:

The NFL just announced that defensive end Jared Allen was fined $50,000 for “two plays considered roughing the passer,” according to an NFL spokesman.

“In both instances, he struck the opposing quarterback below the knee area,” a spokesperson said in an email.

Wow imagine what the fine might have been if it had been a half-decent QB Allen was going after
;D

tastywaves
11-07-2008, 04:55 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"Bkfldviking" wrote:

Wow imagine what the fine might have been if it had been a half-decent QB Allen was going after
;D

Ouch, seems pretty severe.
Doubt it will slow him down any though.

V4L
11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
WOWWWW

I was thinkin like 10 G maybe

Thats insane

Are they really that straped for cash?

V4L
11-07-2008, 05:09 PM
I gotta think they are trying to send a message to players

There is no way that those two borderline dirty hits were worth 50 G

I could see if he put his helmet to his knee.. But he just dove at his legs.. yes I know thats illegal but 50 G? Gotta be sendin a message no doubt

BadlandsVikings
11-07-2008, 05:21 PM
http://lastylistmom.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/helena-eyelet-dress-in-black-from-delias.jpg

New NFL uniform for QB's

C Mac D
11-07-2008, 06:03 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

http://lastylistmom.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/helena-eyelet-dress-in-black-from-delias.jpg

New NFL uniform for QB's

Designed by Roger Goodell.

ThorSPL
11-07-2008, 06:16 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

New NFL uniform for QB's

+1

keystonevike
11-07-2008, 06:26 PM
FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS??? you gotta be kiddin' me!!! Is Goodell out of his mind?

V4L
11-07-2008, 06:27 PM
"keystonevike" wrote:

FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS??? you gotta be kiddin' me!!! Is Goodell out of his mind?

Yes he is

That is one of the worst punishments i've ever seen

ThorSPL
11-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Somehow I'm now thinking the Williams Wall is fucked if he's pulling that crap.

V4L
11-07-2008, 06:32 PM
"ThorSPL" wrote:

Somehow I'm now thinking the Williams Wall is fucked if he's pulling that crap.

I was thinking that too

It seems like Roger is handing out fines just to do it

I think he has a no explanation policy going and the Williams situation keeps looking worse with all the punishment Goodell is handing out

I hope that's not the case and agrees with everyone else that it was the pill makers fault

erik5032
11-07-2008, 06:35 PM
This is fucking rediculous! This has to stop seriously! Especially the tackle Tuck made. It is a F'n TEXT BOOK TACKLE!

THIS IS REDICULOUS! GOODELL GO F*#& YOURSELF! Why dont we just put the QB's in a hyperbaric chamber while we are at it... GOD this is dumb.. We should just make it flag then

erik5032
11-07-2008, 06:54 PM
"V4L" wrote:

I could see if he put his helmet to his knee.. But he just dove at his legs.. yes I know thats illegal but 50 G? Gotta be sendin a message no doubt

HAve you ever played football? (actually asking) Because i played Defense throughout my highschool career. The hit Tuck put on Bollinger is a text book hit, something i was taught to do. In allens case i take allens side because when you know that QB has the ball you will do anything to get to him. He was falling over and he lunged at the QB trying to get him, it is not like you have time to say "shit i can't hit him im gonna stop" no you are going at full speed throwing your body around.

If anyone was gonna get fined i would say K-Will should have.. he was up and knew the ball was out and he pushed Schaub.. I am gett ing sick and tired of Goodell, Resign!!!!

V4L
11-07-2008, 07:29 PM
"erik5032" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

HAve you ever played football? (actually asking) Because i played Defense throughout my highschool career. The hit Tuck put on Bollinger is a text book hit, something i was taught to do. In allens case i take allens side because when you know that QB has the ball you will do anything to get to him. He was falling over and he lunged at the QB trying to get him, it is not like you have time to say "shit i can't hit him im gonna stop" no you are going at full speed throwing your body around.

If anyone was gonna get fined i would say K-Will should have.. he was up and knew the ball was out and he pushed Schaub.. I am gett ing sick and tired of Goodell, Resign!!!!

Sure did defense as well

I don't agree with the fines either.. Idk what the Tuck hit had to do with this but yah

The hits were below the legs which is outlawed now.. I don't agree with the rule, but that's the rule

V4L
11-07-2008, 07:33 PM

There's the replays

The first one looks like there was nothing he could do.. I don't agree with that

The second he was way out of the play then dives at his legs.. Which is illegal.. So I do agree with that one

BadlandsVikings
11-07-2008, 07:34 PM
FINE NAZI

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/images/nfl_commissioner_goodell_football.jpg

NodakPaul
11-07-2008, 07:52 PM
"keystonevike" wrote:

25k a piece.
Really, is it that big of a deal to someone making 15 million this year?
I will take a fine over a flag any day.

V4L
11-07-2008, 07:57 PM
The second was okay with me

The first idk what they would want Allen to do

NodakPaul
11-07-2008, 08:08 PM
"V4L" wrote:

The first was a legal hit.
The second did end up being below the knees, so I can live with the fine.
I highly doubt that that was the intent though. I am glad that he is appealing - but I doubt it will go anywhere.

Formo
11-07-2008, 08:32 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

The first was a legal hit.
The second did end up being below the knees, so I can live with the fine.
I highly doubt that that was the intent though. I am glad that he is appealing - but I doubt it will go anywhere.

The issue I have with this fine is that the NFL only fined Jaguars DT Henderson and Bengals OT Whitworth 10k a piece..
When it was obvious that they were intentional in their illegal actions.
With Allen, no one can prove that his hit was intentional.

vikinggreg
11-07-2008, 09:17 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"keystonevike" wrote:

Yes he is

That is one of the worst punishments i've ever seen

What about Matt Jones or Johnny Jolly, oh I forgot Jones is waiting for his appeal before he has to serve his 3 games. He's lucky he wasn't taking Starcaps.

Purple Floyd
11-07-2008, 09:35 PM
IMO if they want to protect the QB's more then they should mandate having every QB wearing a heavy duty protective brace on their knees and ankles and a flac jacket. Then they should light a 10 foot ring of fire around the QB after the snap and make the defenders wear jock straps soaked in Kerosene( OK that one was just for fun). Then they should come up with much improved shoulder pads. For gods sake, with the money they pay these guys I think they could invest in some kickass pad technology.

http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/surveillance.php

They have made huge strides in the Military and while obviously that link would not cross directly over to the NFL, it does illustrate that there is the potential to come up with a system of personal protective equipment that can protect the key structures of the body and reduce injuries.

But this thing of not letting defenders hit the QB is a total crock of shit.

marstc09
11-07-2008, 10:33 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

FINE NAZI

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/images/nfl_commissioner_goodell_football.jpg

Fuck him. Did he fine Al Harris? Fuck him.

erik5032
11-07-2008, 10:46 PM
holy crap that is right... Goodell never fined HARRIS! WTF that was definitely intentional at the knees.. or does Goodell just have a hard on for QBs? Second he could have stopped but only in slow motion can you tell and real life is not in slow motion. Allen may have thought Schaub still had the ball.

i_bleed_purple
11-07-2008, 10:50 PM
"erik5032" wrote:

holy crap that is right... Goodell never fined HARRIS! WTF that was definitely intentional at the knees.. or does Goodell just have a hard on for QBs? Second he could have stopped but only in slow motion can you tell and real life is not in slow motion. Allen may have thought Schaub still had the ball.

no matter what anyone says, Harris's hit was NOT dirty.
Every coach trains their defenders to tackle low.
go for the legs, tahts how to stop a runner, especially one as powerful as Peterson.
Sure i hate him for that hit, but I can't find it in me to label it as a dirty hit.
and yes, Goddell has a hard-on for QB's, since there are rules about how you can hit QB's, there aren't rules for how you can hit Runningbacks.

marstc09
11-07-2008, 10:56 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

go for the legs, tahts how to stop a runner, especially one as powerful as Peterson.
Sure i hate him for that hit, but I can't find it in me to label it as a dirty hit.
and yes, Goddell has a hard-on for QB's, since there are rules about how you can hit QB's, there aren't rules for how you can hit Runningbacks.

That is a bunch of crap. Be fair to all. I don't care if they are a QB or a RB. It is lame.

MaxVike
11-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I am pretty surprised by this one.
Oh, wait, Justin Tuck was fined for tackling the QB too.
In the immortal words of Vince Lombardi, "what the hell is going on around here?"
Love that classic clip
;D

If I'm not mistaken, they play tackle football in the NFL.
The objective is to tackle your opponent who has the ball.
What a +++ing pussy Schaub is
::).

V4L
11-08-2008, 12:42 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

That is a bunch of crap. Be fair to all. I don't care if they are a QB or a RB. It is lame.

Reason he didn't get fined was because it was a RB

They have stupid QB rules

Formo
11-08-2008, 12:55 AM
"MaxVike" wrote:

I am pretty surprised by this one.
Oh, wait, Justin Tuck was fined for tackling the QB too.
In the immortal words of Vince Lombardi, "what the hell is going on around here?"
Love that classic clip
;D

If I'm not mistaken, they play tackle football in the NFL.
The objective is to tackle your opponent who has the ball.
What a +++ing pussy Schaub is
::).

Tuck, actually, didn't get fined.

Apparently Goodell pulled his head out of his butt long enough to see the actual play.

cogitans
11-08-2008, 05:49 AM
This is becoming such a joke. Just like the Hines Ward fines.

What the hell is the Dlinemen supposed to do if they can't do their job. And why can't a WR lay out a hit if a guy is just not going 100%

NodakPaul
11-08-2008, 01:37 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

+1.

The Harris hit was not dirty, nor should it have warranted any fine.
Allen's hit was not dirty either, but the second one warranted a fine because it was below the knees.
Unintentional (which I don't consider it dirty), but below the knees none the less.

SamOchoCinco
11-08-2008, 01:41 PM
the rules that goodell is making are rediculous!

pretty soon you wont even be able to hit the quarterback. it will be two hands and then he is down.

and JA shouldnt have gotten fined. sure schaub got hurt. but injuries happen.

what about that guy that injured tom brady? i didnt see anything happen to him

NodakPaul
11-08-2008, 02:28 PM
"SamOchoCinco" wrote:

the rules that goodell is making are rediculous!

pretty soon you wont even be able to hit the quarterback. it will be two hands and then he is down.

and JA shouldnt have gotten fined. sure schaub got hurt. but injuries happen.

what about that guy that injured tom brady? i didnt see anything happen to him

Bernard Pollard didn't get a fine or suspension.
Nor should he have, since he was driven into Brady by a blocker.
Allen wasn't driven into Schaub, hence the fine.
I take offense to people calling it a dirty play, or claiming that Allen was intending to injure Schaub.
I just don't see it.
It is an unfortunate injury.
Allen was trying to get to the QB, and ended up hitting him low.
That's it.
Everybody who reads into this any more is ridiculous.

Schutz
11-08-2008, 02:31 PM
This reminds me of my high school football coach.
When we'd run practice we'd have the good ole red shirted players that we weren't supposed to hit obviously.
So you're supposed to run up to the QB and put you hands up and stand their and the coach will yell sack.
Well my coach was an idiot who liked our offense and you'd get to the QB and stand their and he wouldn't say anything and the QB would pass the ball for a TD or something and the defense would get yelled at.

Different situation?
Yes.
But if players are afraid to hit they're going to start letting up and QBs are going to make plays they usually wouldn't and defense is going to suffer(get yelled at), but then again I think that's exactly what Goodell wants to fill seats.
Touch Downs sell.

i_bleed_purple
11-08-2008, 02:53 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"erik5032" wrote:

I'm not saying I agree with it, but thats how it is, there are rules and fines for hitting qb's the wrong way, thats just the way it is.
I still don't think Harris's hit was dirty though.

singersp
11-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Childress: Allen's hit doesn't deserve fine (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/34239499.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU)

By JUDD ZULGAD and CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune staff writers

Last update: November 10, 2008 - 11:50 PM

Defensive end Jared Allen won't find out until later this week whether he was fined by the NFL for his roughing-the-passer penalty on Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, but Vikings coach Brad Childress said Monday that he doesn't believe Allen's hit warranted a penalty....

AngloVike
11-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Linebacker Ben Leber also drilled Rodgers after he released the ball four plays later. Leber was not called for a penalty, but Childress agreed that the two hits looked similar.

"As a matter of fact, Ben had a longer run at him," Childress said. "So if you juxtapose those two right next to each other you can say, 'Which one is more heinous?' I'm not the judge of that.

Shame on you Ben, a long run-up like that and he still got up after - albeit gingerly ..... next time if he gets up after you're fired !
;D
;D

NodakPaul
11-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Allen was flagged for the helmet to helmet, which I am fine with.
But that is an IN GAME PENALTY, not a fine after the fact.
It is part of the freaking game.