PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen injured

Garland Greene
11-03-2008, 01:55 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2107

Report: Allen has partially separated shoulder

November 3rd, 2008 – 12:03 PM by Judd Zulgad
Vikings coach Brad Childress said in his postgame news conference Sunday that Jared Allen “got nicked a little bit” but did not have any more details about a shoulder injury suffered by the Pro Bowl defensive end in the Vikings’ 28-21 victory over Houston. Childress, however, told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports that Allen suffered a partially separated right shoulder that required a pain-killing injection at halftime.

Marrdro
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Need to get rid of Edwards cause he collided with him and caused the injury.
;D (Sarcasim alert)
;D

V4L
11-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Didnt stop him in the second half from creating havoc so im not too worried

Hopefully it heals up some and he is ready to go against GB!!

We need him

COJOMAY
11-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Now they're saying it's a shoulder sprain.
This from the Star/Tribune blog...

Vikings coach Brad Childress confirmed at his press conference that defensive end Jared Allen has an AC sprain in his right shoulder and could miss Sunday’s game against the Green Bay Packers.

V4L
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Now im worried

Without him they will double Kwill and he is our only other pass rusher that really creates havoc

Without Jared Rodgers will have all day and will pick us apart

V4L
11-03-2008, 02:53 PM
How does it go from a seperation to a sprain?

I think they would know right away if they had to pop that bad boy back in

I don't understand that confusion

jargomcfargo
11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Vikings coach Brad Childress confirmed at his press conference that defensive end Jared Allen has an AC sprain in his right shoulder and could miss Sunday’s game against the Green Bay Packers.

AC sprain is infinitely better news than a subluxation or partial separation. I hope that is the correct diagnosis.

bleedpurple
11-03-2008, 02:59 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

AC sprain is infinitely better news than a subluxation or partial separation. I hope that is the correct diagnosis.

either way he played better after the separation than he did before it.. getting two sacks after he got hurt... i don't understand how you can keep playing and then after the game and a week later not play with an injury you had for roughly 2 quarters... seems kind of odd to me!

V4L
11-03-2008, 03:02 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

either way he played better after the separation than he did before it.. getting two sacks after he got hurt... i don't understand how you can keep playing and then after the game and a week later not play with an injury you had for roughly 2 quarters... seems kind of odd to me!

Seems to happen alot

My guess is that you have so much addrenilin pumping you don't really know how severe it is til after the game

Idk though it always boggled my mind too, but that's my best guess

Mr Anderson
11-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Didn't Eli Manning play most of last season with a similar shoulder injury?

And if it occurred before the half and he played that well in the second half, I'm not really concerned.

VikingMike
11-03-2008, 03:09 PM
"Mr" wrote:

Didn't Eli Manning play most of last season with a similar shoulder injury?

And if it occurred before the half and he played that well in the second half, I'm not really concerned.

Maybe that's why he had to make that one-handed sack of Rosenfels in the 4th quarter! The guy is unreal.

i_bleed_purple
11-03-2008, 03:12 PM
"V4L" wrote:

a separation is not a dislocation.
I know, i've done both.

A dislocation is where the head of the humurous actually pops out of the socket and usually sits below the arm socket.
This is the worst of the 3, since often, it is accompanied by tearing/stretching of the ligaments, and if it happens more than once often requires surgery to tighten up the shoulder.
A separation is almost a dislocation, but the head of the humurous does not actually stay out of the socket, it may pop out, and go right back in, or it could be only partially dislocated.
This is usually not very serious, but could have lingering effects.
A sprain is simply pulling (sometimes tearing) some of the tendons, ligaments and muscles in the area.
You can sometimes play through a sprain (depending on the severity)
and it usually doesn't have any lasting effects but does need a little bit of time to heal and stop swelling.

V4L
11-03-2008, 03:14 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

A dislocation is where the head of the humurous actually pops out of the socket and usually sits below the arm socket.
This is the worst of the 3, since often, it is accompanied by tearing/stretching of the ligaments, and if it happens more than once often requires surgery to tighten up the shoulder.
A separation is almost a dislocation, but the head of the humurous does not actually stay out of the socket, it may pop out, and go right back in, or it could be only partially dislocated.
A sprain is simply pulling (sometimes tearing) some of the tendons, ligaments and muscles in the area.
and it usually doesn't have any lasting effects but does need a little bit of time to heal and stop swelling.

Oh okay cool

Thanks for the clarification man

i_bleed_purple
11-03-2008, 03:20 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

Oh okay cool

Thanks for the clarification man

Dr. Purple at your service.

jargomcfargo
11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

That is pretty much correct. The subluxation eg. separation or partial dislocation, though not as serious as a dislocation, often stretches the joint capsule and ligaments as well as tears the labrum. This leads to an unstable joint that can repetitively sublux. In this case off season surgery may be neccesary.

The AC,acromioclavicular joint is the joint formed between the top of the shoulderblade and the collarbone. A strain of this joint is painful but doesn't affect overall shoulder stability.

The answer to how you can suffer this injury in the first half and play better in the second half, then be injured the next game isn't adrenaline. It's Lidocaine. That's what got injected into the shoulder at half time. The same thing the dentist uses before pulling a tooth or filling a cavity.

V4L
11-03-2008, 03:33 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

That is pretty much correct. The subluxation eg. separation or partial dislocation, though not as serious as a dislocation, often stretches the joint capsule and ligaments as well as tears the labrum. This leads to an unstable joint that can repetitively sublux. In this case off season surgery may be neccesary.

The AC,acromioclavicular joint is the joint formed between the top of the shoulderblade and the collarbone. A strain of this joint is painful but doesn't affect overall shoulder stability.

The answer to how you can suffer this injury in the first half and play better in the second half, then be injured the next game isn't adrenaline. It's Lidocaine. That's what got injected into the shoulder at half time. The same thing the dentist uses before pulling a tooth or filling a cavity.

So they should be able to do that next game and he will be golden right?

i_bleed_purple
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

it would depend on how he's feeling then.
There's a difference between being healed and not feeling pain.
If his shoulders bad next week, and he takes painkillers, sure he can play, but he might be doing more damage to himself by doing so.
In cases like that we might just have to cut our losses, sit him for the game, and let him heal so he's doesn't make it worse had has to sit out 3 weeks.
but, if he's feeling good to go, then there's no reason why not to play him.
It all really depends on the severity of it, and if much damage was done to it.

singersp
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Here's the link........

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2108&elr=KArksDyycyUtyycyUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Mr Anderson
11-03-2008, 03:36 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

No, he won't be in pain, but he could further injure himself.

singersp
11-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Allen suffers shoulder sprain (http://min.scout.com/2/807839.html)

By Tim Yotter
VikingUpdate.com

Posted Nov 3, 2008

jargomcfargo
11-03-2008, 03:57 PM
If it is a grade 1 AC sprain, he will probably play. Grade 2 and beyond is doubtful.

Here is a link to info about AC sprains.

http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injuries/UE/Shoulder/a_-_c_sprain.htm

V4L
11-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Grade one please!!!!

Give him another shot on game day and let the man run

jargomcfargo
11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Grade one please!!!!

Give him another shot on game day and let the man run

Amen.

erik5032
11-03-2008, 04:21 PM
With this injury you can play. If you can play through some of the pain (which he did yesterday). He seems to be the type of player who would play through the pain hopefully. When i played high school football i had the grade 1 sprain my senior year... it hurt like a mother but i just took some IB Profen and played through the pain... im sure he can to :) hopefully

jargomcfargo
11-03-2008, 04:31 PM
"erik5032" wrote:

With this injury you can play. If you can play through some of the pain (which he did yesterday). He seems to be the type of player who would play through the pain hopefully. When i played high school football i had the grade 1 sprain my senior year... it hurt like a mother but i just took some IB Profen and played through the pain... im sure he can to :) hopefully

One thing that is promising to me is the fact he returned to play in the first half before he had the injection. He appeared to be in some pain, but was able to play.

MaxVike
11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

If it is a grade 1 AC sprain, he will probably play. Grade 2 and beyond is doubtful.

Here is a link to info about AC sprains.

http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injuries/UE/Shoulder/a_-_c_sprain.htm

I had a grade 2 separation in college...doctor put me in a sling for two weeks and told me "some day, when you are older you may need surgery."
Hurt like hell when it happened, basically felt like I was shot (not that I know how that feels).
JA is obviously much tougher than I am... :-

triedandtruevikesfan
11-03-2008, 04:48 PM
I really hope he's able to play.
I still want to see him hit Rodgers in the spine with his helmet :)

singersp
11-03-2008, 05:02 PM
"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:

Bad day at work again?

i_bleed_purple
11-03-2008, 05:41 PM
gotta remember though, everytime Allen has played the packers, Clifton has handled him pretty well

Purple Floyd
11-03-2008, 05:45 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

gotta remember though, everytime Allen has played the packers, Clifton has handled him pretty well

maybe this is the game we need to move him to LDE and put in Robison and Edwards at RDE to see if they can get more pressure.

I would certainly think they should switch them around once a series or so on passing downs just to keep the Oline thinking.

El Vikingo
11-03-2008, 05:47 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:

Bad day at work again?

Nope ,no sex on the weekend....

VKG4LFE
11-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I pray to God he is healthy on Sunday so I can see him take down fricken' Rodgers! I also hope the Williams boys are able to play too! (Am I hoping too much??)

fanfrom1969
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

maybe this is the game we need to move him to LDE and put in Robison and Edwards at RDE to see if they can get more pressure.

I would certainly think they should switch them around once a series or so on passing downs just to keep the Oline thinking.

Good Idea- even switch him out with Robison throughout the game. I think Brian Robison is a future star- we need to utilize this guy more- this would cause Clifton a little confusion as well.

Yfz01
11-03-2008, 09:00 PM
"fanfrom1969" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

Good Idea- even switch him out with Robison throughout the game. I think Brian Robison is a future star- we need to utilize this guy more- this would cause Clifton a little confusion as well.

Robison is amazing... Did you see him jump right over the O-tackle last game and he nearly got a sack.

Clifton has not been playing his best football and I could see Allen get a few sacks.
He had the opportunities in the other game but was slipping on the field.
We are in the Dome, and this advantage goes to Jared Allen, if he isn't injured.

I hope he can play.
I also hope Kevin and Pat Williams can both play...
It'd be one wierd looking line without three of our starters.
:o

tke0933
11-03-2008, 10:20 PM
From what I've heard/read about Allen, he will play against the Pack.
A "shot" will help but from what I've heard about him, he will be in the lineup on Sunday.

Turboe
11-04-2008, 12:57 AM
"fanfrom1969" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

I had to go to my daughters desktop computer since I am in limbo on my laptop for some reason (I will get the info to you tomorrow Webby) but this no posting for 2 weeks thing is killing me.

Anyway if by chance JA is inactive next week (I sure hope not) I am surprised I havent heard at least one person mention a particular persons name who might know a thing or two about Cliftons tendencies and weaknesses...

...Do I hear a KGB anyone?
Since he was cut by GB last week to make room for a DT on the roster.

I was a little confused.
Wasnt he starting against us in week 1?
What happened did he get hurt, or just suck?

If by chance

Vikes_King
11-04-2008, 02:51 AM
"Yfz01" wrote:

"fanfrom1969" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

Robison is amazing... Did you see him jump right over the O-tackle last game and he nearly got a sack.

Clifton has not been playing his best football and I could see Allen get a few sacks.
He had the opportunities in the other game but was slipping on the field.
We are in the Dome, and this advantage goes to Jared Allen, if he isn't injured.

I hope he can play.
I also hope Kevin and Pat Williams can both play...
It'd be one wierd looking line without three of our starters.
:o

Robison did play great, he did exactly what was asked of him, he played at end and at both DT positions

digital420
11-04-2008, 03:32 AM
from what i saw of Jared, he seemed to play more pissed off after getting hurt then b4.

so.. if he's hurtin and they try to cause more on it.. he'll get more angry.. and we like it when he gets angry!!

DiGiTaL

dfosterf
11-05-2008, 09:52 AM
"digital420" wrote:

from what i saw of Jared, he seemed to play more pissed off after getting hurt then b4.

so.. if he's hurtin and they try to cause more on it.. he'll get more angry.. and we like it when he gets angry!!

DiGiTaL

He might want to tone down the rhetoric this time around?
Florio reported on PFT that the Texans sent in video/complaints about (?2?) low hits on Schaub.
I didn't see your game, I did watch the video posted over there...debatable as to if there was any intent... I reckon' highly debatable, but apparently Schaub is injured/out because of it.
I haven't heard any comments here about it, and am seriously wondering if this is just Florio stirring the pot or if this is something flying under the radar but real.
If this is/has been discussed elsewhere here, I missed it and apologize for throwing it up on this thread.

jargomcfargo
11-05-2008, 10:15 AM
"dfosterf" wrote:

"digital420" wrote:

DiGiTaL

Florio reported on PFT that the Texans sent in video/complaints about (?2?) low hits on Schaub.
I didn't see your game, I did watch the video posted over there...debatable as to if there was any intent... I reckon' highly debatable, but apparently Schaub is injured/out because of it.
I haven't heard any comments here about it, and am seriously wondering if this is just Florio stirring the pot or if this is something flying under the radar but real.
If this is/has been discussed elsewhere here, I missed it and apologize for throwing it up on this thread.

It was actually brought up and repeated by the tv commentators. I watched it and agree, he had two low hits. It appeared he was knocked down and the qb was pushed backwards into Allen on one. The other one it didn't appear Allen intentionally went low to get his knees either. But I will have to look at it again to be positive.
Can't blame the Texans for sending the tape in for review. Their qb has a MCL tear.
Most of these things are accidental injuries. But there is no excuse for intentionally going at someones knees.
I hope that wasn't the case. It didn't appear so to me.

Anyway, Allen won't be able to go at anyones knees this week since he will be held on every single play.

Purple Floyd
11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

Anyway, Allen won't be able to go at anyones knees this week since he will be held on every single play.

lol

Mr Anderson
11-05-2008, 12:44 PM
"dfosterf" wrote:

"digital420" wrote:

DiGiTaL

The only way he could have hit him was low.

He was fighting a block the whole play, then slipped up, then lunged at Schaub, if that's the only way to make a play, that's how you hit him, and that's legal at every level of play besides the NFL.

I didn't see a second clip in debate on this issue though.

dfosterf
11-05-2008, 12:50 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

lol

I'll be over in trash the packland... don't worry... you don't need to start anything here.... ;D

jargomcfargo
11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
"dfosterf" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

lol

I'll be over in trash the packland... don't worry... you don't need to start anything here.... ;D

LOL! It's all cool. I hope there aren't many more like you and pack93z. I don't want to have to change my view of Packers fans!

Zeus
11-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Really bad news here....

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2114

Allen gets bad news
November 5th, 2008 – 1:14 PM by Judd Zulgad

Vikings defensive end Jared Allen said today he has a third-degree sprain of his right shoulder. That’s the most serious sprain, and usually indicates a torn ligament.

Allen said he doesn’t know if he’ll play on Sunday against the Packers

That's the worst on the scale.
Robison needs to step it up on Sunday because there's no way Allen will play significant minutes.

=Z=

PurpleTide
11-05-2008, 01:44 PM
That is bad news, it could take weeks for him to heal with a third degree sprain. Argggggh :-

VikingMike
11-05-2008, 01:57 PM
The worst news we could have heard this week. Damn...

Mr Anderson
11-05-2008, 02:06 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

Really bad news here....

Allen gets bad news

Vikings defensive end Jared Allen said today he has a third-degree sprain of his right shoulder. That’s the most serious sprain, and usually indicates a torn ligament.

Robison needs to step it up on Sunday because there's no way Allen will play significant minutes.

=Z=

Fuck, shit, dick and balls.

marstc09
11-05-2008, 02:07 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

It is called shooting up and when it wears off they realize it hurts.

SharperImage
11-05-2008, 02:21 PM
krugjr says:

November 5th, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Jared,

The cure for a third degree sprain is
asparagus!

orlandovike says:

November 5th, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Is asparagus on the NFL list of banned substances?

LMFAO.

marstc09
11-05-2008, 04:48 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

Really bad news here....

Allen gets bad news

=Z=

FUCK!

Purple Floyd
11-05-2008, 05:05 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

Really bad news here....

Allen gets bad news

=Z=

FUCK!

Fuck is right.

C Mac D
11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Nah... just watch the show Robison puts on.

It'll be fun on Sunday.

Purple Floyd
11-05-2008, 05:11 PM
It is gonna really suck if we lose allen to injury and the williams wall to suspension. On the other hand our pass defense may improve because nobody will have to throw against us.

PackSux!
11-05-2008, 07:14 PM
"C" wrote:

It'll be fun on Sunday.

I hope you are right man.
I like Robison alot and before we got Allen i thought he was going to have a good year.

Clifton usually gets the best of Allen anyways, but now Clifton has to prepare to possibly face both Robison and Allen.
Lets hope he is a slow learner.

SamOchoCinco
11-05-2008, 07:16 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

"C" wrote:

It'll be fun on Sunday.

I like Robison alot and before we got Allen i thought he was going to have a good year.

Clifton usually gets the best of Allen anyways, but now Clifton has to prepare to possibly face both Robison and Allen.

that should be a really entertaining matchup to watch.

thats going to be our biggest key to victory for our defence right there. getting to the quarterback. and we need to get past clifton for us to have success

V4L
11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
"SamOchoCinco" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

"C" wrote:

It'll be fun on Sunday.

that should be a really entertaining matchup to watch.

thats going to be our biggest key to victory for our defence right there. getting to the quarterback. and we need to get past clifton for us to have success

Yup

Last time Clifton manhandled us

We need to get constant pressure on Rodgers to stay in this otherwise jennings will be running past Cedric like mad

PackSux!
11-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I bet that Robison is more explosive off the line then Allen when trying to straight up run around the LT.
Hopefully Robison can force rodgers into K. Williams.

Edwards needs to step up his game bigtime and actually be a force to be reckoned with.

V4L
11-05-2008, 07:37 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

I bet that Robison is more explosive off the line then Allen when trying to straight up run around the LT.

Hopefully Robison can force rodgers into K. Williams.

Edwards needs to step up his game bigtime and actually be a force to be reckoned with.

Mmmmmmm...

I dont think Robison is more explosive off the line the Allen

Allen has a fast first step and gets around the corner better then Robison by far

I dont feel too upset that Allen probably wont be playing.. But Robison is a huge step down

SamOchoCinco
11-05-2008, 07:37 PM
think we will blitz winfield again this week?

VKG4LFE
11-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Damn, I didn't realize it was gonna be that bad! I was really lookin' forward to seein Allen reek some havoc in the backfield! Oh well, hope Robison is ready to step up his game!

LincolnVike
11-05-2008, 07:47 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

gol 'darnit, I didn't realize it was gonna be that bad! I was really lookin' forward to seein Allen reek some havoc in the backfield! Oh well, hope Robison is ready to step up his game!

And for that, I have little reason to be concerned.
I believe Robison has proved his worth to the team and has stepped up to make a few big plays in his time as a Viking...probly has learned a thing or two from Allen along the way.
Yeah I'd prefer Allen, but I still think we're solid at DE.

VikingMike
11-05-2008, 08:14 PM
We're all looking for Robison and Edwards to step up big time...but there is no one, repeat, no one who can replace Allen and consistently wreak the havoc he does, regardless of how Clifton has played (or held) him in the past. That said, go Robison...and Frazier, you had better come up with a great game plan for Sunday.

VKG4LFE
11-05-2008, 10:16 PM
I have confidence in Robison, but I'd much rather see our big buck man out there! But you never know, when people fill in for injuries that sometimes will jump start their careers! Let's do it on Sunday Robison!

vikes2456
11-06-2008, 12:48 AM
At least he got injured after Madieu got back

singersp
11-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Allen on his injury and Kubiak’s comments (http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2115&elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU)

November 5th, 2008 – 2:08 PM

by Judd Zulgad

If Jared Allen does indeed have a third-degree sprain of the AC joint in his right shoulder, it’s extremely unlikely the Pro Bowl defensive end will be able to play this Sunday against the Green Bay Packers.

Allen said today he was told the sprain was a “three or something,” meaning it’s the most serious sprain and could indicate a torn ligament. Such an injury often keeps players out for two to four weeks.

singersp
11-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Vikings' Allen grins, but can he bear it? (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/33941764.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU)

The Vikings defensive end joked about his injured right shoulder, but a grade-3 sprain is serious stuff.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: November 5, 2008 - 11:50 PM

At least Jared Allen's sense of humor remains intact......

"Well, they tried to amputate it earlier," he said. "That was tough. I did some electric shock therapy. I don't know what that had to do with my shoulder. They recommended heroin, but I said that was against all legal policies, so I stayed well away from that."

singersp
11-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Vikings' Allen questionable for Sunday with ailing shoulder (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/2008-11-05-allen-status_N.htm)

Updated 10h 58m ago

usatoday.com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) — Jared Allen is concerned that a sprained right shoulder might keep him out of Sunday's game against Green Bay.

jargomcfargo
11-06-2008, 10:24 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Allen on his injury and Kubiak’s comments (http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2115&elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU)

November 5th, 2008 – 2:08 PM

by Judd Zulgad

If Jared Allen does indeed have a third-degree sprain of the AC joint in his right shoulder, it’s extremely unlikely the Pro Bowl defensive end will be able to play this Sunday against the Green Bay Packers.

Allen said today he was told the sprain was a “three or something,” meaning it’s the most serious sprain and could indicate a torn ligament. Such an injury often keeps players out for two to four weeks.

If it truly is a third degree sprain, 2-4 weeks is optomistic. These injuries often require surgery which would be season ending.
I hope that isn't the case. One never knows what is true in the NFL with injury reports. And Childress never divulges until he has to.

purplehelmut
11-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I hate it for Allen and the Vikes if he can't go, but bottom line is the defense will have to step up as a unit.
This is a critical division game, at home, and it is as close to a must win as we've had so far.
Buck up and get it done.
Everyone has injury issues and whining about it ain't gonna cut it.
The next guy in line, Robinson in this case, has a job to do and it's the job of the rest of the D to help him out.
Let's go out and take care of business.

SharperImage
11-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Adam Schefter reports Jared Allen is active and will start

PurplePride80
11-09-2008, 10:09 AM
^haha, I was about to post that, just saw it scroll across the bottom of the screen on NFL Network. Well, I'm glad he's starting. I just hope he dosen't re-injure himself and make things worse.

Hopefully he'll be alright.

Tad7
11-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Just saw the same thing...I'm so glad he's playing!!

V4L
11-09-2008, 10:19 AM
YES!!!

We really need him this game

I hope it doesnt slow him down

Mr-holland
11-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Kickass!

kevoncox
11-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Still no suspension for PAT and KW. I love it. I think the NFL is going to sweep these teast under the rug.

Randy Moss
11-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Alright!

PurplePeopleEaters
11-09-2008, 11:02 AM
This is huge. This is the kind of player we've needed on the Vikings during the Childress era. The kind of guy who wouldn't miss the packer game for the world and would play through a grade three shoulder separation just to get a chance to knock Aaron Rodgers on his ass. This is very Jim Marshall if you ask me.

Now Jared, go and show me what you can do all shot up with pain killers.

NodakPaul
11-09-2008, 11:03 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

Still no suspension for PAT and KW. I love it. I think the NFL is going to sweep these teast under the rug.

I don't think they will sweep it under - there is no suspension because the appeals process is still in play.
The NFL is in a hard spot here.
On one hand it is very obvious that the handful of players busted for the masking agent were taking it for weight loss - in some instances approved previously by the NFL itself.
And it is obvious that the players were unaware that they were taking the drug.
However, if the NFL lets them all slide it undermines the substance abuse policy, and opens them up to future litigation for players who get busted and the claim ignorance.
Ignorance is not an excuse.
I expect a single game suspension for all players involved.

As for Allen, I am glad that he is active, but I bet we see some more activity from Robison today as well.

dfosterf
11-09-2008, 11:09 AM
This puker fan wants to know.
Are you all in agreement that since JA is starting, and the Williams' boys are not suspended, there are no excuses if you lose?
Just want the record straight for future smack-talking purposes, as I will be enduring some big-league trash talk beginning mid-season as contrasted with the usual off-season in the event you emerge victorious, and want the ground rules established now, contrasted with 4:00 PM.
today.
;D

Mr-holland
11-09-2008, 11:12 AM
"dfosterf" wrote:

Are you all in agreement that since JA is starting, and the Williams' boys are not suspended, there are no excuses if you lose?
Just want the record straight for future smack-talking purposes, as I will be enduring some big-league trash talk beginning mid-season as contrasted with the usual off-season in the event you emerge victorious, and want the ground rules established now, contrasted with 4:00 PM.
today.

;D

Will you be back when we beat your asses by 30 points? ;D

ThExRenegadE
11-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Green Bay Packers, Jared Allen, Minnesota Vikings

This just in: Vikings defensive end Jared Allen, listed as doubtful with a shoulder injury, is active today versus the Packers. Officially.

Were Minnesota playing any other team, Allen might not be out there. But the fact that he is active is a sign of how important this game is to Minnesota.

ThExRenegadE
11-09-2008, 11:39 AM
"ThExRenegadE" wrote:

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Green Bay Packers, Jared Allen, Minnesota Vikings

This just in: Vikings defensive end Jared Allen, listed as doubtful with a shoulder injury, is active today versus the Packers. Officially.

Were Minnesota playing any other team, Allen might not be out there. But the fact that he is active is a sign of how important this game is to Minnesota.

I seen this on NFL.com but I just heard on ESPN from Chris Mortenson Allen WILL start.

huxx
11-09-2008, 12:00 PM
"ThExRenegadE" wrote:

"ThExRenegadE" wrote:

I seen this on NFL.com but I just heard on ESPN from Chris Mortenson Allen WILL start.

There is a god!

PackSux!
11-09-2008, 12:24 PM
"huxx" wrote:

"ThExRenegadE" wrote:

"ThExRenegadE" wrote:

There is a god!

Yes there is, his name is Purple Jesus and a teamate of Jared Allen's.
;D

SamOchoCinco
11-09-2008, 12:38 PM
thank heavens!

i was thinking our d would suck without JA.

but looks like our studded line of defence will still be solid

cogitans
11-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Well I'll still need to see how much he gets to stay on the field, and if he shows any kind of ill effects of the injury, before I bring out the champagne on this one.

FuadFan
11-09-2008, 06:25 PM
An incredible effort by Allen this game but I wonder how much longer he will be able to do this with that bad shoulder?

marstc09
11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Hopefully no more damage was done.

midgensa
11-09-2008, 06:45 PM
This guy is exactly what this team has been looking for. A true warrior who plays hard EVERY play and wants to win at all costs.
Sometimes he gets a little stupid ... but all in all, his talent, leadership and warrior mentality is exactly what our defense needed and he is worth every single penny we have paid him so far.

duvaldomo
11-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Robison stepped up today too

V4L
11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Who had a grade 3 tear?

erik5032
11-09-2008, 08:49 PM
There are a a lot of similarities between Allen and Marshall. I believe Marshall checked himself out of the hospital when he had pneumonia so that he could play. He also played with a broken wrist or something. All the greats find a way past the pain to play.

Vikefanman2000
11-09-2008, 09:20 PM
I was shocked to see the final stats showing JA had ONE tackle, ONE Sack, and of course, ONE Safety.....it sure felt like he had a much better game then those stats show.
It felt like he was having a monster game (other then the one late chippy hit)....

That being said.....he just showed everyone one of his teammates what HE is made of!
Maybe it will inspire Charles Gordon to jump off the gurney and get back in the game!
Hey....maybe the backwards foot will help him backpedal!
(ok....I know...tasteless joke!)
Seriously CG.....get well soon!

JA....you are a beast!
Keep it up!

V4L
11-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Yah his stats weren't too flashy but he was getting pressure ALL day

Him and Robison

NodakPaul
11-09-2008, 09:30 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Him and Robison

I was surprised he wasn't given half a sack on the Robison sack.
Robison hit him first, but Allen rode him to the ground.
Great effort by the entire DL today regardless!

V4L
11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Him and Robison

I was surprised he wasn't given half a sack on the Robison sack.
Robison hit him first, but Allen rode him to the ground.
Great effort by the entire DL today regardless!

I thought that too

But my bro pointed out he was on his way down

So I think that would be why but I could be wrong

dfosterf
11-09-2008, 10:41 PM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

"dfosterf" wrote:

today.

;D

Will you be back when we beat your dimply buttocks by 30 points? ;D

Congrats, Mr. Holland-- sorry I don't know you.
Maybe if we conversed more before you won I'd know you better.

PurplePeopleEaters
11-09-2008, 11:59 PM
How about some of those LB blitzes today too? Napoleon got in there twice and shook Rodgers around on some conventional blitzes from the MLB spot. Leber was spot on with the delayed blitz and nailed him another time just a few seconds late. I recall Greenway a few times with pressure too. As we all touted during the offseason, if we can continue to get good pressure from the front four, it will not only help our secondary but also open up our LB's when they are in a blitz situation.

Great game from the D all around. Notice we didn't hear Antoine's name at all (hint: they weren't throwing to his side).

V4L
11-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Yes we blitzed WAY more effective this week

Usually it gets picked up so it was nice to see that