PDA

View Full Version : Wilfs are confident they have right coach



Billy Boy
10-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Sid Hartman: Wilfs are confident they have right coach (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/33551839.html?elr=KArksUUUU)
Vikings coach Brad Childress has taken his share of criticism lately, but don't expect him to be fired. The owners are standing behind him and his staff.

By SID HARTMAN, Star Tribune

Last update: October 30, 2008 - 7:25 AM


For those who have speculated that the job of Vikings coach Brad Childress is in jeopardy, you can rest assured the same thing that happened to former Rams coach Scott Linehan and former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin will not happen to Childress.

ultravikingfan
10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
They always say that they are standing behind the coach.

Then they get fired.

NodakPaul
10-30-2008, 12:00 PM
PFT's take on the article:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/30/unnamed-wilf-family-member-predicts-nfc-north-title/


But there’s hope.
The unnamed Wilf family member says that the Vikings will win their division.
Even though the Vikings have not won it a single time since the NFC Central became the NFC North in 2002.

I honestly think that despite Wilf's assurances that Childress's job doesn't hang on a playoff appearance, if we can't climb to the top of a weak NFC North, he will be gone. He might be gone even if we do...

Bkfldviking
10-30-2008, 12:08 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


PFT's take on the article:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/30/unnamed-wilf-family-member-predicts-nfc-north-title/


But there’s hope.
The unnamed Wilf family member says that the Vikings will win their division.
Even though the Vikings have not won it a single time since the NFC Central became the NFC North in 2002.

I honestly think that despite Wilf's assurances that Childress's job doesn't hang on a playoff appearance, if we can't climb to the top of a weak NFC North, he will be gone. He might be gone even if we do...


Maybe they are just waiting for Christmas. ;D

BloodyHorns82
10-30-2008, 12:10 PM
I opened this hoping it was an old thread...damn.
I want Chilly to feel the pressure.
Maybe it would cause him to open his mind a little...perhaps even (I know this is a crazy idea) try new options when things aren't going well.
:o
:o
:o

C Mac D
10-30-2008, 12:11 PM
I see I need to turn-up my efforts.

Mark_The_Viking
10-30-2008, 12:12 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


They always say that they are standing behind the coach.

Then they get fired.


We live in hope! I can't beleive the Wilfs are stupid enough to stand by him regardless

Mr-holland
10-30-2008, 12:13 PM
That's right! they must have been listening to me..

BloodyHorns82
10-30-2008, 12:13 PM
"C" wrote:


I see I need to turn-up my efforts.


I didn't think that was possible...you're already putting forth the effort of 15 Childress haters.

El Vikingo
10-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Are
they
confident with Childress after this
3 years of footbal?

Yeh ,sure, I buy it
::)

Marrdro
10-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Anyone else read all 13 pages of comments?

Some real gems in there let me tell ya.
Most are hating on Sid, but guess what, 13 pages of comments. Somebody is reading his crap and buying into the stuff he is spewing.

Yutz's.

:o

jdvike
10-30-2008, 12:36 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


They always say that they are standing behind the coach.

Then they get fired.

+1

The dreaded "vote of confidence"....just before the ax
falls.

jmcdon00
10-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I think we have the right coach too, the right coach to poop on.

El Vikingo
10-30-2008, 12:46 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


Anyone else read all 13 pages of comments?



No Marrdro I don´t think so.

You should get a life my friend
;D

VikingMike
10-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Sid Hartman: Wilfs are confident they have right coach


I read that title and have one question: What's his name?

Marrdro
10-30-2008, 01:07 PM
"El" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Anyone else read all 13 pages of comments?



No Marrdro I don´t think so.

You should get a life my friend
;D

Still in the comm closet.
No life involved in that my friend.
Just computer screens and boredom.

El Vikingo
10-30-2008, 01:14 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"El" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Anyone else read all 13 pages of comments?



No Marrdro I don´t think so.

You should get a life my friend
;D

Still in the comm closet.
No life involved in that my friend.
Just computer screens and boredom.


I knew it ,I was just kidding
::)

COJOMAY
10-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Sid said it -- must be true. So there!

josdin00
10-30-2008, 02:21 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


I think we have the right coach too, the right coach to poop on.

http://timothyzhu.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/triumph01.jpg

Purple Floyd
10-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Where have I heard that before?


October 18, 2005

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/10/18_zdechlikm_wilf/



Once again drawing on the family analogy, Wilf said he stands behind coach Mike Tice. Wilf said a lot of work has to be done to rebuild team morale and he suggested this weekend's home turf match-up against arch-rival Green Bay could serve as a turning point for the Vikings.

On the stadium issue, Wilf said Minnesotans have a responsibility to help put together a deal.

C Mac D
10-30-2008, 04:24 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:


Where have I heard that before?


October 18, 2005

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/10/18_zdechlikm_wilf/



Once again drawing on the family analogy, Wilf said he stands behind coach Mike Tice. Wilf said a lot of work has to be done to rebuild team morale and he suggested this weekend's home turf match-up against arch-rival Green Bay could serve as a turning point for the Vikings.

On the stadium issue, Wilf said Minnesotans have a responsibility to help put together a deal.


Haha... great find.

PurpleMafia
10-30-2008, 04:43 PM
If Brad Childress is still coach of the Minnesota Vikings after the end of this pathetic excuse for a season, I don't know how many more games I can watch as a Vikings fan, if any. Not until they prove they are doing what is in the best interest of the team. With the potential on this team as high as it is, there is no excuse to be executing this poorly. This isn't fair to us the fans, or the players on the team.

PackSux!
10-30-2008, 05:05 PM
"PurpleMafia" wrote:


If Brad Childress is still coach of the Minnesota Vikings after the end of this pathetic excuse for a season, I don't know how many more games I can watch as a Vikings fan, if any. Not until they prove they are doing what is in the best interest of the team. With the potential on this team as high as it is, there is no excuse to be executing this poorly. This isn't fair to us the fans, or the players on the team.


Life isnt fair and we will more then likely have to deal with Chilly staying here.

C Mac D
10-30-2008, 05:12 PM
An owner coming out and having to say he backs the coach is probably a good indicator that things aren't going well. I mean, the simple fact that Wilf has to come out and say he still backs Childress despite everything going on... that's probably not a good sign.

I had a history professor tell me once, "If a claim has to be made out loud, it's probably not true... like naming China 'The People's Republic of China'"... which, it is anything BUT a "People's Republic"...

I'm sure Childress' job is safe, just like Tice's was.




Eh, I'm just bored and rambling at this point. I should probably just go home.

Caine
10-30-2008, 09:52 PM
"C" wrote:


An owner coming out and having to say he backs the coach is probably a good indicator that things aren't going well. I mean, the simple fact that Wilf has to come out and say he still backs Childress despite everything going on... that's probably not a good sign.

I had a history professor tell me once, "If a claim has to be made out loud, it's probably not true... like naming China 'The People's Republic of China'"... which, it is anything BUT a "People's Republic"...

I'm sure Childress' job is safe, just like Tice's was.




Eh, I'm just bored and rambling at this point. I should probably just go home.


While I agree with what your Prof said, the thing that frightens me is in the following quote from the article:


Both Zygi Wilf and his brother, Mark, have a great relationship with Childress. It is a lot more than coach and boss.

As man-lovecentric as that sounds, that concerns me more than anyting else.
I stated when Wilf bought the team that I was afraid we were going to get the "Season ticket holder owner" who finally got his chance to play with his very own NFL franchise, and that his lack of NFL knowledge would lead him to hire people who would let him be a part of the process.
Sort of like how our Head Coach hired an Offensive Coordinator who wouldn't challenge HIM.

So, at the end of the day, while Zygi does write the checks, I don't have any more faith in his football knowledge than in my own...or that of many fans here (Except Mar...anyone who still backs Chiller is obviously a tard
:P ).
And I'm afraid that he's basing his "possible" decision to keep Chiller on the level of involvement Chiller allows him, versus the quality of the product Chiller fields.

As for the unnamed Wilf family member who said we'd win the Division......really?
Care to bet heavily on that?
Say.....everything I own versus your family's interest in the Vikings?
At least I'd have the smarts to shiitcan a coach that can't beat the Packers for THREE FRIGGIN YEARS!!!!!!!!

Caine

marstc09
10-30-2008, 11:06 PM
I am sure his tune will change if we go on a 2 game home losing streak.

baumy300
10-31-2008, 01:02 AM
I just want to win again.

This half assed football I've endured over the last 3 seasons is growing tiresome. If it wasn't for a few stud defensive players and AD this team would put a case of red bull to sleep!

DeathtoDenny
10-31-2008, 03:17 AM
McCombs was a cheap prick. The Wilf's are apparently just stupid.

Marrdro
10-31-2008, 05:11 AM
"Caine" wrote:


...or that of many fans here (Except Mar...anyone who still backs Chiller is obviously a tard
:P ).


As always my friend, an excellent post.

Problem is, I joined the "Out with the Chiller Crowd" about 2 weeks ago.
Out with the lot of em I say.
In with Pete Carroll and a whole new staff.

Also, been snoopin around.
These guys are interesting as well...

Bob Stoops
Urban Meyer

Tony D is out of a job this year maybe.
Lane Kiffin still interests me.

Problem is, I still believe that the owner wants to keep a guy in place for several years (not just 3) regardless of what most fans think and the Chiller and his cronies (Bevell/Leslie) and their underlings will be back next year with the same lame duck system that breeds nothing but inconsistency.
:'(
:'(
:'(

Marrdro
10-31-2008, 05:14 AM
"marstc09" wrote:


I am sure his tune will change if we go on a 2 game home losing streak.

I am beginning to think that he doesn't give a squat what a bunch of fans think from a state that won't fund a new stadium for him.
:'(
:'(
:'(

Looks like he is ready to take his Chiller and his team and move someplace else perhaps?
::) :o :'(

AngloVike
10-31-2008, 05:23 AM
At this stage of the season then it makes no sense to can the Coach as there will little out there in terms of replacement talent. So I'm not concerned about such touchy feely things being said about Childress at the moment.
As commented, in any sport, when you hear an owner or member of a board saying the 'we have confidence' mantra then the coach concerned is on thin ice. If things don't drastically improve then KAO will soon stand for 'Kicked his Arse Out'.

PurpleTide
10-31-2008, 05:49 AM
You Childress haters may be right, but alas, he will be back next year. It's out of our hands. Speculation and ranting will get you nowhere. :-

Marrdro
10-31-2008, 06:01 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:



You Childress haters may be right, but alas, he will be back next year. It's out of our hands. Speculation and ranting will get you nowhere. :-\

Hater?
Me?
Comeon my friend.
Not a hater, actually like the guy and think he is gonna be a great HC sometime.


Just tired of watching this team struggle with consistency because of the same issues over an over and over again.

I do believe you are correct though, he isn't going anywhere as long as this team keeps playing hard for him and to date, they have even to the point that one of our biggest off season acquisitions told the yutz fans to chill out.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/30871684.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

Purple Floyd
10-31-2008, 08:40 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:


At this stage of the season then it makes no sense to can the Coach as there will little out there in terms of replacement talent. So I'm not concerned about such touchy feely things being said about Childress at the moment.
As commented, in any sport, when you hear an owner or member of a board saying the 'we have confidence' mantra then the coach concerned is on thin ice. If things don't drastically improve then KAO will soon stand for 'Kicked his Arse Out'.



Actually I have read a few articles that have said there is a trend to fire coaches earlier than in the past so that teams have more time to research possible replacements and then spend the extra time preparing to lobby them before another team gets their foot in the door, which does make sense. I can see how waiting too long could hurt your chances of getting the coach you want if another team gets to them before you do.

Yes, there are rules that prevent teams from directly contacting candidates who are under contract, but there is always the chance meeting in a restaurant of a friend of a friend......

Suick
10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Who is he and when does he start?

vikings4life33
10-31-2008, 12:00 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"PurpleTide" wrote:



You Childress haters may be right, but alas, he will be back next year. It's out of our hands. Speculation and ranting will get you nowhere. :-\

Hater?
Me?
Comeon my friend.
Not a hater, actually like the guy and think he is gonna be a great HC sometime.


Just tired of watching this team struggle with consistency because of the same issues over an over and over again.

I do believe you are correct though, he isn't going anywhere as long as this team keeps playing hard for him and to date, they have even to the point that one of our biggest off season acquisitions told the yutz fans to chill out.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/30871684.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

the players have to say that. i cant wait till i go to the arizona game i will be booing Sharper. that guy is all hype. im sure he is a great leader but if thats the case make him a coach cuz he shouldnt be on the field

Marrdro
10-31-2008, 01:13 PM
"vikings4life33" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"PurpleTide" wrote:



You Childress haters may be right, but alas, he will be back next year. It's out of our hands. Speculation and ranting will get you nowhere. :-\

Hater?
Me?
Comeon my friend.
Not a hater, actually like the guy and think he is gonna be a great HC sometime.


Just tired of watching this team struggle with consistency because of the same issues over an over and over again.

I do believe you are correct though, he isn't going anywhere as long as this team keeps playing hard for him and to date, they have even to the point that one of our biggest off season acquisitions told the yutz fans to chill out.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/30871684.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

the players have to say that. i cant wait till i go to the arizona game i will be booing Sharper. that guy is all hype. im sure he is a great leader but if thats the case make him a coach cuz he shouldnt be on the field

The players actually don't have to say anything and if memory servers, under this regime, are encouraged not to say anything or give anything out.

Chazz
10-31-2008, 03:24 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"marstc09" wrote:


I am sure his tune will change if we go on a 2 game home losing streak.

I am beginning to think that he doesn't give a squat what a bunch of fans think from a state that won't fund a new stadium for him.

:'(
:'(
:'(

Looks like he is ready to take his Chiller and his team and move someplace else perhaps?

::) :o :'(


Like where?? In this economy, no one will be willing to pay more money for a football team. I don't want to hear LA, thats a proven failure.

UTVikfan
11-01-2008, 01:58 AM
That article makes me sad, very sad. The upside is, likely the Wilf's are not stupid enough to fire a coach midstream, and the vote of confidence signals the axe. That is my hope at least. And I will hope on. When even Norv Turner and Ted Cottrel look good, oh wait, cancel the Cottrel bit, we are on sad times.

singersp
11-01-2008, 02:03 AM
For those who have speculated that the job of Vikings coach Brad Childress is in jeopardy, you can rest assured the same thing that happened to former Rams coach Scott Linehan and former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin will not happen to Childress.



Yeah, I remember mid year in 2005, when the Wilf's told the press that Mike Tice's job was not in jeopardy.
;)

I'd wait until Christmas Eve to fire him, but that's just me.

AngloVike
11-01-2008, 11:20 AM
"UTVikfan" wrote:


That article makes me sad, very sad. The upside is, likely the Wilf's are not stupid enough to fire a coach midstream, and the vote of confidence signals the axe. That is my hope at least. And I will hope on. When even Norv Turner and Ted Cottrel look good, oh wait, cancel the Cottrel bit, we are on sad times.


Then again this article is from Senile Sid Hartman who isn't going to want to jeopardise his contacts with the Wilfs, so admitting that Childress is on the block isn't going to happen from him just yet.

marstc09
11-01-2008, 12:22 PM
"PurpleTide" wrote:



You Childress haters may be right, but alas, he will be back next year. It's out of our hands. Speculation and ranting will get you nowhere. :-\


You saying he will be back next year is speculation as well.

singersp
11-01-2008, 06:19 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"PurpleTide" wrote:



You Childress haters may be right, but alas, he will be back next year. It's out of our hands. Speculation and ranting will get you nowhere. :-\

Hater?
Me?
Comeon my friend.
Not a hater, actually like the guy and think he is gonna be a great HC sometime.


Just tired of watching this team struggle with consistency because of the same issues over an over and over again.

I do believe you are correct though, he isn't going anywhere as long as this team keeps playing hard for him and to date, they have even to the point that one of our biggest off season acquisitions told the yutz fans to chill out.



Then he must be leaving soon, because I see a great deal of players not playing with motivation & enthusiasm a lot of the time. There is also never a sense of urgency when the team is behind & the clock is ticking away.

Vikefanman2000
11-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Im going to laugh my a$$ off when the winless, Culpepper led kitties beat the crappola out of our "Kick a$$ offense".
What will it take Zigi and Mark.....5 TD passes from Culpepper to show you how inept our Coach, our OC, and our STeams coach are?

I love having owners willing to spend money on the team.
Do yourselves a favor.....quit putting out quotes about your love for Chilly and his staff.....
it just makes you look stupid a month or two from now when you get ready to fire him!

Webby
11-01-2008, 08:36 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


PFT's take on the article:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/30/unnamed-wilf-family-member-predicts-nfc-north-title/


But there’s hope.
The unnamed Wilf family member says that the Vikings will win their division.
Even though the Vikings have not won it a single time since the NFC Central became the NFC North in 2002.

I honestly think that despite Wilf's assurances that Childress's job doesn't hang on a playoff appearance, if we can't climb to the top of a weak NFC North, he will be gone. He might be gone even if we do...


What happened to Kiffen, etc will not happen.
That means during the year.
They always support during the season.

Vikefanman2000
11-01-2008, 08:41 PM
"Webby" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


PFT's take on the article:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/30/unnamed-wilf-family-member-predicts-nfc-north-title/


But there’s hope.
The unnamed Wilf family member says that the Vikings will win their division.
Even though the Vikings have not won it a single time since the NFC Central became the NFC North in 2002.

I honestly think that despite Wilf's assurances that Childress's job doesn't hang on a playoff appearance, if we can't climb to the top of a weak NFC North, he will be gone. He might be gone even if we do...


What happened to Kiffen, etc will not happen.
That means during the year.

They always support during the season.


I agree.....as much as I want Chilly out of here.....I dont think you make the move in the middle of the season.....
Once the season has concluded.....they need time to do a thorough evaluation of Chilly and his staff.
Couple hours after the NY Giants game should do it!
;D

Mr-holland
11-02-2008, 09:39 AM
"marstc09" wrote:


"PurpleTide" wrote:



You Childress haters may be right, but alas, he will be back next year. It's out of our hands. Speculation and ranting will get you nowhere. :-\


You saying he will be back next year is speculation as well.

Actually it isn't. His contract lasts 2 more years after this one, so it's only reasonable to expect him coming back next season

Purple Floyd
11-02-2008, 10:19 AM
"Mr-holland" wrote:


"marstc09" wrote:


"PurpleTide" wrote:



You Childress haters may be right, but alas, he will be back next year. It's out of our hands. Speculation and ranting will get you nowhere. :-\


You saying he will be back next year is speculation as well.

Actually it isn't. His contract lasts 2 more years after this one, so it's only reasonable to expect him coming back next season


Of course we could always post the contracts for Matt Millen, Lane Kiffin and Nolan to see whether they went past this year to see whether they followed the same logic.

happy camper
11-02-2008, 10:44 AM
We will see how committed the Wilfs are to Childress if we lose either of the next two homegames. If we look bad doing it the crowd will be upset to say the least. People will not be buying tickets to future home games and if the owner will listen to anything he will listen to the sound of $$$$$$ not being put in his pocket.

VKG4LFE
11-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Why are the Wilf's so confident in that guy! I'm really starting to think he is never going to get it done for us. Time to bring on Bill Cowher!!

MaxVike
11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
"Vikefanman2000" wrote:


Im going to laugh my a$$ off when the winless, Culpepper led kitties beat the crappola out of our "Kick a$$ offense".
What will it take Zigi and Mark.....5 TD passes from Culpepper to show you how inept our Coach, our OC, and our STeams coach are?

I love having owners willing to spend money on the team.
Do yourselves a favor.....quit putting out quotes about your love for Chilly and his staff.....
it just makes you look stupid a month or two from now when you get ready to fire him!


In preparing for today's game, I have made chicken wings, nacho cheese dip, and chili...I also showed everyone your signature.


We have collectively all just regained our footing after we were all ROTFL!!!
That is the funniest thing I've seen in a LONG time.
Thanks for the laughs and keep posting with it!