PDA

View Full Version : Berrian might be worth the bucks

singersp
10-12-2008, 05:39 AM
Patrick Reusse: Berrian might be worth the bucks (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/30816649.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU)

Monday night's performance made it seem as if the Vikings made the right move in "overpaying" the wide receiver.

By PATRICK REUSSE, Star Tribune

Last update: October 12, 2008 - 1:37 AM

Mr-holland
10-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Good read. I was really happy with his performance on Monday Night. The first 100+ yard receiver in what 3 years right? ( could be 2 )

I don't think we could sign him for less, it's how the market works.. there weren't a whole lot of good receivers out there.. so they can ask whatever they want. And if you want a good receiver you have to open your wallet.

Prophet
10-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Within the realm of the KAO it doesn't take much of a performance to stand out as a WR.

jessejames09
10-12-2008, 09:47 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Within the realm of the KAO it doesn't take much of a performance to stand out as a WR.

"Troy made 2 catches!? No way!"

"Rice had 60 yards?! That kid is gonna be a stud."

"Wade is Mr Consistency, he catches most of the balls that are thrown at him!"

edit: I forgot the best one

"Remember that one catch Carter made?! He was a Beast."

Potus2028
10-12-2008, 10:44 AM
he's worth the money after one game... interesting....

give me at least a half a season of solid games.. then let's talk

VikingsTw
10-12-2008, 10:49 AM
"Potus2028" wrote:

he's worth the money after one game... interesting....

give me at least a half a season of solid games.. then let's talk

I can't stand the dropped passess, those are driving me crazy and he seems to do that at least once every game but since we inserted Gus Frerotte, Berrian has been solid. He's close to 300 yards in the past 3 games. Not to mention the PI calls he draws because of his deep threat ability. Those yards don't count but I keep them in mind. Berrian has tremendous ball skills and body control/adjustment. He does some things alot of WR's don't do.

gregair13
10-12-2008, 11:13 AM
He still not worth it. One good game is not work how ever many millions we gave him.

Mr-holland
10-12-2008, 11:22 AM
"gregair13" wrote:

He still not worth it. One good game is not work how ever many millions we gave him.

I say give it a year, 5 games is to little for me to form an opinion

i_bleed_purple
10-12-2008, 11:56 AM
"gregair13" wrote:

we're not really in a position to be picky.
If we don't give him millions, we don't get that performance last week, and we likely lose that game.
Its not like we have a suitable replacement, we need him.

PurplePeopleEaters
10-12-2008, 03:30 PM
"gregair13" wrote:

He still not worth it. One two good games is not worth how ever many millions we gave him.

Fixed it for you
;)

CCthebest
10-12-2008, 03:34 PM
That was a great catch and run today. Hes been playing better the last 2 games.

idahovikefan7
10-12-2008, 03:35 PM
yep good to see him starting to make some big plays..That was the second longest pass td in vikings history....

V4L
10-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Told ya'll

huxx
10-12-2008, 05:29 PM
You can officially take the "might be" out of the title of this thread

V4L
10-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Currently 8th in the league in yards

Just where I figured he would be

Prophet
10-12-2008, 05:38 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Yeah, I distinctly remember you walking around and saying, "Berrian, 8th; Berrian, 8th; Berrian, 8th" and I had no clue what you were talking about.
Now I get it.

V4L
10-12-2008, 05:40 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Yeah, I distinctly remember you walking around and saying, "Berrian, 8th; Berrian, 8th; Berrian, 8th" and I had no clue what you were talking about.
Now I get it.

Top 10

My bad ;)

V4L
10-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I did also predict Jackson would be on fire thus far :P

Didn't think Gus would be doing good with Berrian

SamOchoCinco
10-12-2008, 06:02 PM
i wouldnt still say that he is worth the bucks yet.

he has had 2 good games so far. and vs some pretty weak pass defences.

this upcoming game vs the bears should prove if he is worth it or not.

UMD_Bleeds_Purple
10-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Anyone who's name isn't troy Williamson is worth the money!
;D

So it took berrian a while to get going big deal! are u mad about him going over 100 in the last two game? DOnt forget he was a 1000 yard receiver with GROSSMAN as his QB

Berrian ripped it up today and will keep doing so in the future!

Webby
10-12-2008, 06:50 PM
"UMD_Bleeds_Purple" wrote:

Anyone who's name isn't troy Williamson is worth the money!
;D

So it took berrian a while to get going big deal! are u mad about him going over 100 in the last two game? DOnt forget he was a 1000 yard receiver with GROSSMAN as his QB

Berrian ripped it up today and will keep doing so in the future!

As long as he produces people will be less hard on him.

But with all the negativity clouding everyones judgment Berrian could blow every one of the nancies and they would still be pissed.

In any event, he is a ball dropper, always has been, but when he produces, the ball drops are outweighed by his good games.

Understand the player, and their history, and you won't be so floored by the outcome when they get here.

kspurplepride
10-12-2008, 08:13 PM
back to back big games... i'm starting to believe he's worth the money

VikingsTw
10-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Since Tarvaris Jackson was benched and the playbook opened he has played solid, a few drops but that was expected.

pack93z
10-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Not a believer for the money spent.. decent vertical threat but he will break your heart someplace yet this season.. book it. TWill type receiver with slightly better hands.. and vision I am willing to bet.
;D

VikingsTw
10-12-2008, 09:06 PM
IMO alot of players in the NFL are overpaid, thats rampit througout the league. Without getting Berrian in the offseason we have nothing, especailly considering Sidney Rice's health issues. Free Agency is what it is, overpaying is just the nature of the beast.

Bernard Berrian and Troy Williamson are night and day, there really is no comparison other than there dark skinned but thats common among many many WR's.

V4L
10-12-2008, 09:08 PM
"SamOchoCinco" wrote:

i wouldnt still say that he is worth the bucks yet.

he has had 2 good games so far. and vs some pretty weak pass defences.

this upcoming game vs the bears should prove if he is worth it or not.

The Bears will be a huge test for him

I think he can live up to his money

In a few years his contract won't even be all that much in the NFL.. It will be big, but not as much as many many many people will be making

pack93z
10-12-2008, 09:31 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

Bernard Berrian and Troy Williamson are night and day, there really is no comparison other than there dark skinned but thats common among many many WR's.

I disagree.. they are but highly skilled athletes.. mid range in size, fast and suspect hands. After that... probably night and day.. don't know either personally.

jessejames09
10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

Not a believer for the money spent.. decent vertical threat but he will break your heart someplace yet this season.. book it. TWill type receiver with slightly better hands.. and vision I am willing to bet.
;D

Slightly better hands? Slightly!?

Do you even know who Troy Williamson is?

Edit: refresher, for those who don't know about his megabust status.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/jessejames09/megabust.jpg

V4L
10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

I disagree.. they are but highly skilled athletes.. mid range in size, fast and suspect hands. After that... probably night and day.. don't know either personally.

I totally disagree

They are simular in size and speed but Williamson is a track star.. Not an NFL WR

Williamson has a whooping 2 catches this year for 11 yards

Berrian has that many touchdowns and over 400 yards putting him in the top 10

They are night and day

VikingsTw
10-12-2008, 09:40 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

Berrian drops a few balls but he also catches several that a typical WR would be unable to come up with, I call them circus catches. There is a trade off with Berrian, while Troy Williamson is a track star not a football palyer. He had no ball skills, or ablity to adjust to the ball in the air.

The comparisons stop very short of a few common comparison that alot of athletes have.

pack93z
10-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Drops a few? Man you guys didn't catch alot of Bears football last year did ya.

For a wide receiver, Berrian's hand are below average.. not horrible like Twill.. but book it.. Berrian will have you guys pissed at points and time yet this season.

I really am not trying to degrade the guy and rile you up.. just calling it like I see it..

V4L
10-12-2008, 09:47 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

For a wide receiver, Berrian's hand are below average.. not horrible like Twill.. but book it.. Berrian will have you guys pissed at points and time yet this season.

I really am not trying to degrade the guy and rile you up.. just calling it like I see it..

Yah he has his drops he know that

But so does Terrell Owens

The thing about these types of WRs is they produce

And mix in a drop MAYBE 2 a game..

They positives GREATLY out way the negatives

VikingsTw
10-12-2008, 09:51 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

All you have to do to see that is go back a few pages, we're all aware of that but your claims are off and he's not as bad as a Packer Backer would like. Berrian is solid, I'm glad to have him and intristed in seeing what he can do full strength at some point.

Below average is false IMO, I think he has a mental lapse here and there but like I said before circus catches, that don't happen with average hands.

Obviously you havn't seen much, you claimed he was similair to Troy Williamson, I've seen all Viking snaps for years there is no comparison, your probably seeing wrong.

pack93z
10-12-2008, 09:58 PM
I very well could be wrong about a player, it has happened before and will happen again.. maybe the drops are just "lapses"... we shall see over the long haul about this investment on the field.

Can't knock that his has helped your team, either way, I am not sold on it.. maybe I am losing it or going blind.
;)

jessejames09
10-12-2008, 10:05 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

I very well could be wrong about a player, it has happened before and will happen again.. maybe the drops are just "lapses"... we shall see over the long haul about this investment on the field.

Can't knock that his has helped your team, either way, I am not sold on it.. maybe I am losing it or going blind.
;)

He's not as good as Jennings and his hands are no where near Drivers. He is our best deep threat though, and he was our best option this off-season. I don't care what we pay players as long as that contract doesn't stop our team from adding other talent.

He is an improvement. Im-prove-ment. If you need to add 'slight' to that just to slight (oh I'm hiliarious) us vikings fans go right ahead.

*Cough* Go Favre *Cough*

ragz
10-12-2008, 10:09 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

;)

He's not as good as Jennings and his hands are no where near Drivers. He is our best deep threat though, and he was our best option this off-season. I don't care what we pay players as long as that contract doesn't stop our team from adding other talent.

well its not exactly like berrian is in his 8th year.
i think part of the signing, for the big money, is that hes young and has gotten better with each year.
and it may very well be happening again this year.
and hes playing with injuries also.
besides a couple of drops by him, hes really been the shining part of our offense this year.

V4L
10-12-2008, 10:11 PM
"ragz" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

;)

well its not exactly like berrian is in his 8th year.
i think part of the signing, for the big money, is that hes young and has gotten better with each year.
and it may very well be happening again this year.
and hes playing with injuries also.
besides a couple of drops by him, hes really been the shining part of our offense this year.

Agreed

Berrian is a stud thus far

Purple Floyd
10-12-2008, 10:12 PM
The WR's are getting better with Gus than they have been since Culpepper went down and Berrians timing is getting better with Gus. They are starting to click but the line has to do their part.

ragz
10-12-2008, 10:45 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

The WR's are getting better with Gus than they have been since Culpepper went down and Berrians timing is getting better with Gus. They are starting to click but the line has to do their part.

come on pal lets not over exaggerate.
86 yards on a slant during a blitz.
berrian has made some plays and ferrotte has gotten some balls out but i wouldnt exactly say they have looked like montana-rice.
the difference since ferrotte has come in is that they are making a concerted effort to feed berrian.
but i wouldnt say anything about rthym or timing when it comes to the vikings pass game.
we've just hit some big plays, and they aren't always pretty, but they have been just enough to get us the last 2 wins.
i'd still prefer moving the chains and getting some points before late in the 3rd quarter.

Big C
10-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I think Berrian is Solid but has not yet earned Stud status. He needs to make a few more plays to overcome some drops and tripping-over-his-own-feet from earlier in the season. He is STARTING to approach stud status since the NO game.

pack93z
10-13-2008, 12:06 AM
"jessejames09" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

;)

He is an improvement. Im-prove-ment. If you need to add 'slight' to that just to slight (oh I'm hiliarious) us vikings fans go right ahead.

*Cough* Go Favre *Cough*

Can't disagree that he isn't an improvement.. and I really am not trying to slight anyone.. just my thoughts on this kid. He very well may develop into the next great NFCN receiver.. wish him the best.

He is a deep threat.

BTW... I am rooting for Brett two fold.. one because he still is Brett, second, the better he does, the better the draft pick for us.. personally I hope he takes him to the superbowl. Brett continues to give to the Packers.. what a guy.
;)

C Mac D
11-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I'd say he's been worth it.

Purple Floyd
11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
He made an impact today.

PurpleMafia
11-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Sometimes I love the guy, sometimes he makes me want to kill someone. Perfect example would be today. He makes 2 great plays with a TD, but caused an INT for a TD, and caused a near INT for a TD.

Tad7
11-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Berrian is leading the NFL in yards per catch among players who have 25+ receptions. He looks like he could be one of the guys that's gonna be mentioned among the best in the NFL with many elite receivers on the downside of their career.

midgensa
11-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Receivers drop passes, it happens. Berrian drops a few too many, but he is definitely worth the buck. He provides a lot of bang and has already ignited the passing game multiple times this season.
He is a regular deep threat and also has the speed and elusiveness to turn a simple catch into a TD. He has gelled well with Gus and is on pace for 1200+ yards and 8 TDs. Most people on here were claiming they thought he would go for 900 yards or less in this offense, blah blah blah. He clearly has exceeded expectations and only seems to be getting better.

olson_10
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
berrian drops some balls, but he comes back and makes the big play..only problem i have with berrian is that ive never seen one guy be responsible for so many INTs by tipping everything he cant catch up into the air for the defense to take the other way..hes well worth the money tho, especially since its been so long since weve had a difference maker at that position, which berrian has been this year

V4L
11-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Worth every penny

Marrdro
11-03-2008, 12:11 PM
"PurpleMafia" wrote:

Sometimes I love the guy, sometimes he makes me want to kill someone. Perfect example would be today. He makes 2 great plays with a TD, but caused an INT for a TD, and caused a near INT for a TD.

Seriously, your blaming that INT on him?

The guy was just coming out of being jammed and was still in heavy traffic but had the defenders beat.
All Gussy boy had to do was hit him out in front and he was gone for serious YAC.

Instead, Gus hits him on his back shoulder pad (not the hands) and the impending INT happens.

That one was on the QB my friend.
Not the guy who just showed you and everybody else in the backfield on the defense that he was gonna burn you if you pressed.

Zeus
11-03-2008, 12:15 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"PurpleMafia" wrote:

The guy was just coming out of being jammed and was still in heavy traffic but had the defenders beat.
All Gussy boy had to do was hit him out in front and he was gone for serious YAC.

Instead, Gus hits him on his back shoulder pad (not the hands) and the impending INT happens.

Not the guy who just showed you and everybody else in the backfield on the defense that he was gonna burn you if you pressed.

Berrien himself said it was his fault.

=Z=
(Awaiting Marty's spin)

Bkfldviking
11-03-2008, 12:18 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"PurpleMafia" wrote:

I don't know Mar, even Berrian himself thinks he should have caught that ball.
In Chip Scoginns Article in todays Tribune Berrian said

Frerotte's second throw to Berrian didn't work out so well. Berrian got open on a slant, and Frerotte's throw was to his back shoulder. The ball deflected off Berrian's chest and into the arms of Reeves, who returned the interception 44 yards for a touchdown.

"I should have caught that," Berrian said. "My fault."

Marrdro
11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"PurpleMafia" wrote:

=Z=
(Awaiting Marty's spin)

Of course he is gonna say that, just as I suspect that Gus would also say that he threw it behing the reciever.
Thats the makeup of this team.

Again, he just got off the line, was still in traffic and a hot ball comes at him behind it.
He reacted and tried to catch it.

Are you trying to say I would come up with any other spin?
I suppose you also believe Gus was on target with his first pass as well.
How about the 2 deep ones he was to deep with?

Comeon my friend.
That INT is on Gussy, not BB.

Marrdro
11-03-2008, 12:24 PM
"Bkfldviking" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"PurpleMafia" wrote:

I don't know Mar, even Berrian himself thinks he should have caught that ball.
In Chip Scoginns Article in todays Tribune Berrian said

Frerotte's second throw to Berrian didn't work out so well. Berrian got open on a slant, and Frerotte's throw was to his back shoulder. The ball deflected off Berrian's chest and into the arms of Reeves, who returned the interception 44 yards for a touchdown.

"I should have caught that," Berrian said. "My fault."

See my reply to Zeus.
Props to BB for taking responsibility but he and I, along with Gus, know it was a bad throw.

If he would have been in a deep post or something like that were he had time to adjust, he would/should have caught it.
In tight shit like that, you just can't adjust.

He was at or getting at full speed after beating the jamn and was expecting the ball in front of him.
Not behind him.

Zeus
11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"PurpleMafia" wrote:

Of course he is gonna say that, just as I suspect that Gus would also say that he threw it behing the reciever.

Again, he just got off the line, was still in traffic and a hot ball comes at him behind it.

Comeon my friend.

And there's the spin.

When I grew up and learned the game of football, I was taught that if you can get your hands on it, you're supposed to catch it.

=Z=

Marrdro
11-03-2008, 12:36 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"PurpleMafia" wrote:

Comeon my friend.

And there's the spin.

When I grew up and learned the game of football, I was taught that if you can get your hands on it, you're supposed to catch it.

=Z=

You are correct in that statement, however, he didn't have a chance to get his hands on it.
He did, however, get his back shoulder pad on it.
;D

V4L
11-03-2008, 12:40 PM
The pass was not that bad

Could have been better.. And Berrian could have caught it

Unfortunately the ball had an awkward bounce and ended up in thier hands

It happens

Blame goes to berrian for the most part.. Should have caught it no doubt.. But Gus could have done a little better

V-Unit
11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
4 straight stellar games from Berrian, and we are lamenting over one dropped ball. This board really has gone negative nancy huh?

I mean I totally understand how Jacksonville fans thought we were too harsh on Williamson. I mean we weren't, but I see thier hopeful POV.

Anyways, try to imagine Williamson making either of those plays yesterday, and be thankful Berrian is in purple.

Marrdro
11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
"V" wrote:

4 straight stellar games from Berrian, and we are lamenting over one dropped ball. This board really has gone negative nancy huh?

I mean I totally understand how Jacksonville fans thought we were too harsh on Williamson. I mean we weren't, but I see thier hopeful POV.

Anyways, try to imagine Williamson making either of those plays yesterday, and be thankful Berrian is in purple.

Amazing isn't it?

Couple this discussion up with the "Griffin Sucks" discussion and a guy has to wonder sometimes.
Keeps my day interesting though.......;D

V4L
11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I wasn't knocking Berrian at all if you were including me in that V

It was a poorly thrown ball but still catchable

Blame to both

Berrian is my favorite player

V-Unit
11-03-2008, 01:14 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Blame to both

Don't get me wrong. the pick was clearly his fault, but I mean come on! This guy is the deep threat we've been looking for for a long time now! He gives our offense another dimension, and Frerotte and him have established a solid connection. The prospects are awesome. One bad play in the last month. I'll take it.

It'll be very interesting to see what he does against GB with a real QB throwing to him. How does GB's pass D look this year?

V4L
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
"V" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Blame to both

Don't get me wrong. the pick was clearly his fault, but I mean come on! This guy is the deep threat we've been looking for for a long time now! He gives our offense another dimension, and Frerotte and him have established a solid connection. The prospects are awesome. One bad play in the last month. I'll take it.

It'll be very interesting to see what he does against GB with a real QB throwing to him. How does GB's pass D look this year?

Agreed 100 percent

The GB pass D has been looking decent as far as turnovers

Idk bout yardage and stuff like that but they create alot of turnovers

Hopefully they don't match Charles Woodson on Berrian all day!

VKG4LFE
11-03-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm still not sure he's worth what we paid him, but he is getting there. He's had a few really nice weeks in a row here. He'll seal it for me if he puts up a Randy type game against the cheesedicks! haha

Jereamiah
11-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Ya, BB does drop some balls. But he is doing what he came to Minny to do: The 1st pass was a deep ball. He stretched the field, and what's more, actually CAUGHT the ball. How refreshing is that? He also caught a tough pass for a td. Troy would have ran past everyone, had the ball deflected by his patented anti-pigskin deflector shield, and then he would pound the turf in mock agony. I'd say BB is worth it.

Ranger
11-04-2008, 02:21 AM
He's been absolutely huge for us.
The points have already been addressed, and I find it difficult to believe that he was not worth it.
He's created some great stuff for this team, even when the ball isn't in the air.

ragz
11-04-2008, 02:42 AM
is this even a real conversation?
how quickly people forget how bad our wrs have been since moss left.
and hes only through 8games, and appears to be getting better each week.
ferrotte missed him on what could have been another td, underthrew him on that opening reception that could of probably went for 7, and on a perfect throw by ferrotte for a td berrian didn't do the greatest of jobs dragging his feet.
i mean peterson is having a very quiet great year, but our biggest weapon has been berrian and i think that means hes worth the bucks.
and the more attention he starts to get from defenses, it will hopefully open up things for some of our other players too.

PurpleTide
11-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Slowly but surely teams are starting to respect Berrian, Wade, Rice, and Shianco. This will help our WCO that depends so much on play-action. Now we are starting to make people pay when they stack the box, and it is a thing of beauty when a play action draws the LB's and Safeties in close to stop AD. More 1 on 1 chances downfield, and that TD to Shank was due to the respect the Texans had for Adrian.

We are seeing the KAO starting to find itself. In a word Berrian is a nice investment that is starting to pay off.

ThorSPL
11-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Berrian is doing what we expected him to do.... yeah he has had a few drops here and there, but
he's caught enough to demand respect of opposing defenses....

We went what..3 or 4 years without a 100 yd receiver and he'd done it 3 of the past 4 weeks.
I'm happy with him.
I don't know if any other "big name FA WR's" from last year has done what he has... and most likely they are in a less anemic offense.

jargomcfargo
11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I watched the first quarter again last night and noticed something I didn't see Sunday.
On the long pass at the start of the game, Berrian didn't actually catch the pass. The underneath defender caught it and Berrian took it away from him as he was falling to the ground.
He didn't go up and get it as some yutz said. It was actually a pick that turned into a reception.
If you have the game recorded, check it out.

I haven't read the whole thread as I usually do, so if this is a repeat, apologies!

V4L
11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

I watched the first quarter again last night and noticed something I didn't see Sunday.
On the long pass at the start of the game, Berrian didn't actually catch the pass. The underneath defender caught it and Berrian took it away from him as he was falling to the ground.
He didn't go up and get it as some yutz said. It was actually a pick that turned into a reception.

I haven't read the whole thread as I usually do, so if this is a repeat, apologies!

I noticed it too

But i realized the ball was like 5 yards underthrown and into double coverage

It was a sick play to get back and take the ball away

vikings4life33
11-04-2008, 10:32 AM
"V4L" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

I noticed it too

But i realized the ball was like 5 yards underthrown and into double coverage

It was a sick play to get back and take the ball away

yeah it was. sometimes you have to take the shots down field and let your "playmaker" make plays.

jdvike
11-04-2008, 10:36 AM
He fought the defense for the ball, and that's something I heard Bear fans say he won't, and can't do.

jargomcfargo
11-04-2008, 10:51 AM
"jdvike" wrote:

He fought the defense for the ball, and that's something I heard Bear fans say he won't, and can't do.

I loved it. Berrian is a big part of what we have been missing the last two years. He has his drops. He always has dropped an occasional ball. But, unlike Williamson, he makes up for the drops.

I was happy when we got him. And I'm happy with his performance.

It's good to see someone get the ball to him once in awhile.

It appears his toe injury has improved.

vikings4life33
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"jdvike" wrote:

I loved it. Berrian is a big part of what we have been missing the last two years. He has his drops. He always has dropped an occasional ball. But, unlike Williamson, he makes up for the drops.

I was happy when we got him. And I'm happy with his performance.

It's good to see someone get the ball to him once in awhile.

It appears his toe injury has improved.

yeah it looks like it. he out ran that safety to the endzone.

PurplePeopleEaters
11-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I'll make this comment, and take it for what it's worth, but Berrian is the best WR we've had in Minnesota since Randy Moss and IMO it's not even close. He has that breakaway speed that Moss had and although his hands are not all that consistent, he makes a lot of big plays and looks very Moss-esque doing it.

For the record, he has more receiving yards this year too. :P

LincolnVike
11-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Berrian has a better attitude about him as well.
I don't think we'll be seeing him walk off the field before the end of a game...though mooning Porker fans would earn a few bonus points in my book.

kevoncox
11-04-2008, 03:28 PM
lol comparing Moss to BB.

PackSux!
11-04-2008, 05:26 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

I dont think they were compairing Moss To BB.
It seemed to me that it was a comparison of all the recievers we have had since Moss.

We as fans were spoiled with Moss being a Viking, obviously nobody will ever compair to him but BB is much better then what we have had since Moss.

ThorSPL
11-04-2008, 05:29 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

Yeah, definitely looking at the fact that his attitude is better than Moss'.

Granted, he's not as good... but he's the best we've had in awhile.

singersp
11-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Funny how when Berrian was dropping balls earlier in the year, damn few people were calling him a bust & calling for his head.

Obviously, the kettle has different shades of black.

PackSux!
11-04-2008, 05:48 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Funny how when Berrian was dropping balls earlier in the year, gol 'darnit few people were calling him a bust & calling for his head.

Seems to happen alot.
Just like the coach getting blamed for fumbles and stupid bonehead mistakes by the players.

Had to throw that in for all the Chilly haters.

i_bleed_purple
11-04-2008, 05:49 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Funny how when Berrian was dropping balls earlier in the year, gol 'darnit few people were calling him a bust & calling for his head.

Seems to happen alot.
Just like the coach getting blamed for fumbles and stupid bonehead mistakes by the players.

don't forget, its childress's fault that kluwe dropped that snap!

LincolnVike
11-04-2008, 08:06 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

...and that T-Jack was (as of now) a bust....oh wait, that one actually IS his fault.

PackSux!
11-04-2008, 09:03 PM
"LincolnVike" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

...and that T-Jack was (as of now) a bust....oh wait, that one actually IS his fault.

The one thing Childress has against him is the quarterback he thought would be the next McNabb.
Otherwise how can you blame the guy?

Gus has proved to me in the last couple games
that this offense can work and is actually a damn good one.
Alot of the pieces of the puzzle are here and locked up for many years, once we find that quarterback look out NFL.

Berrian is a big piece of the puzzle.

kevoncox
11-04-2008, 09:18 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

The one thing Childress has against him is the quarterback he thought would be the next McNabb.

that this offense can work and is actually a gol 'darnit good one.
Alot of the pieces of the puzzle are here and locked up for many years, once we find that quarterback look out NFL.

I disagree! I believe that Childress has done exactly what he is expected to do and that is be a decent coach. However, without Peterson's game changing abilities and defenses constantly occupied with his location on the field, this offense is nothing. We can't throw a screen to save our lives. The only ones in the playbook seem to be up the middle. The one screen we ran to the sideline, actually worked for about 20 yards.

This is the same offense that almost lost to DET. We lost to the Bears and beat a Houston team that hasn't beaten anyone. Even Tice beat the teams he w supposed to. The team is on the right track and Childress is no longer causing the team loses. HE is growing as a coach bt he and his offense are not Good. They are average.

ragz
11-05-2008, 01:23 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

I disagree! I believe that Childress has done exactly what he is expected to do and that is be a decent coach. However, without Peterson's game changing abilities and defenses constantly occupied with his location on the field, this offense is nothing. We can't throw a screen to save our lives. The only ones in the playbook seem to be up the middle. The one screen we ran to the sideline, actually worked for about 20 yards.

This is the same offense that almost lost to DET. We lost to the Bears and beat a Houston team that hasn't beaten anyone. Even Tice beat the teams he w supposed to. The team is on the right track and Childress is no longer causing the team loses. HE is growing as a coach bt he and his offense are not Good. They are average.

i love the praise and everything guys, but for the talent we have, we should still be more productive.
why dont we name tennesses skill position players and figure out how they are winning week and week out compared to our 500 record.
why dont we go through the defenses while were at it too.
i'm pretty sure tennesse lost both their defensive ends in free agency this past offseason and are still dominant.
we get jared allen and are still at the bottom of the league in pass defense.
it was a decent win, one we should win, but lets not start painting us cured cuz of one week.
we are still 0 for against the pack under childress.
we still threw another pick that lead to 7.
we still gave up like 330 passing yards, and childress still got conservative once we took a lead and almost let another team creep back up on us.
things are getting better for sure, but knocking off houston in minny is not exactly earth shattering.
now if we knock of green bay and get a game lead on them, with chicago playing tennesse, we could start steamrolling.
but considering we've had no answer for green bay in 3 years, i'm still scared even though we should totally take care of business in our own house.

Ranger
11-05-2008, 02:20 AM
"ragz" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

i love the praise and everything guys, but for the talent we have, we should still be more productive.
why dont we name tennesses skill position players and figure out how they are winning week and week out compared to our 500 record.
i'm pretty sure tennesse lost both their defensive ends in free agency this past offseason and are still dominant.
it was a decent win, one we should win, but lets not start painting us cured cuz of one week.
we still gave up like 330 passing yards, and childress still got conservative once we took a lead and almost let another team creep back up on us.
things are getting better for sure, but knocking off houston in minny is not exactly earth shattering.
now if we knock of green bay and get a game lead on them, with chicago playing tennesse, we could start steamrolling.
but considering we've had no answer for green bay in 3 years, i'm still scared even though we should totally take care of business in our own house.

It's either defensive coaching or secondary issues that are causing our poor pass defense, that coupled with the inability for opposition to run against us.

Pass rush hasn't been lacking this year, not at all.
Allen is getting his, Kevin Williams is blowing up quarterbacks...hell, it kind of ruins the myth that it was lack of pass rush causing our issues.

I think we have good personnel, just not for the scheme we're running.

ragz
11-05-2008, 02:47 AM
"Ranger" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

It's either defensive coaching or secondary issues that are causing our poor pass defense, that coupled with the inability for opposition to run against us.

Pass rush hasn't been lacking this year, not at all.
Allen is getting his, Kevin Williams is blowing up quarterbacks...hell, it kind of ruins the myth that it was lack of pass rush causing our issues.

I think we have good personnel, just not for the scheme we're running.

no doubt.
and the scheme alot of times is taking away from the front 4 playing well.
the whole second half against houston they didnt have any time to get to the qb cuz he was getting rid of it so quick in the middle of that zone.
when teams continue to eat you up alive with that stuff, when is some kinda adjustment gonna be made.
we won, and we played well, but we picked off 2 bad throws in our own end zone, so it wasn't exactly like we dominated defensively.
they still moved pretty efficiently, especially in the 2nd half.
and if we've learned anything about mike mccarthy so far, its that hes game planned against our defense quite effectively.

as for growing as a coach, i dont really buy it.
i mean if by growing you mean actually getting the ball to some playmakers then i guess you're right.
but fans and skeptics alike have been saying that since the end of his first year.

now has he had a berrian? no, but that doesn't mean you have a gameplan that consist of dumpoffs to your tight ends and running backs.
if you ain't got the horses, throw the young guys out there and let them prove there worth.
instead we had bobby wade, robert ferguson, and troy williamson out there alot last year.
of course sidney rice's injury didn't help last year, but he's healthy now and he's probably 3rd or 4th on the depth chart now.

the point is, we are full of talent, its why we got so much hype going into the year, so we should be able to make plays.
to me norv turner is the best example of a bad coach actually being able to win cuz his team is just too talented.
san diego got off to a terrible start last year, but becuz of talent they were sitting in the afc championship game.
now look at san diego.
talk about a shitty division, yet they are 3-5.
we are totally showing signs of improvement, but i dont know if i've seen enough to start thinking we have overcome what has mostly proven to be a bad coaching staff.
we have a tough stretch here with green bay, and then 2 road games, including a big conference game at tampa.
if we can get through this stretch and have us sitting on top of the division then as my boy obama says, "yes we can."

singersp
11-05-2008, 06:18 AM
"LincolnVike" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

::) Great! Yet another kid who thinks all QB's should be great their first year starting or they are a bust.

Shows how little he knows.

BleedinPandG
11-05-2008, 06:37 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

::) Great! Yet another kid who thinks all QB's should be great their first year starting or they are a bust.

I'm still confused about this... people blaming Chilly for TJ... TJ basically came to Chilly and TOLD him he needed to be benched, that he didn't feel he could be aggressive enough.
TJ was playing too timid and was honest about it.
Chilly did what he should have done in that situation and let TJ sit.
I was initially pissed that Chilly "threw TJ under the bus" but after reading more into it I realized that wasn't the case.
I couldn't tell you if Chilly wanted to bench TJ or not, but from what TJ said, he should have been benched.
He was unable to execute the game plans being called because he couldn't be aggressive enough.

V-Unit
11-05-2008, 08:41 AM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

I'm still confused about this... people blaming Chilly for TJ... TJ basically came to Chilly and TOLD him he needed to be benched, that he didn't feel he could be aggressive enough.
I was initially pissed that Chilly "threw TJ under the bus" but after reading more into it I realized that wasn't the case.
I couldn't tell you if Chilly wanted to bench TJ or not, but from what TJ said, he should have been benched.
He was unable to execute the game plans being called because he couldn't be aggressive enough.

If Chilly had benched TJ in training camp, like he should have. Gus and Berrian would have been clicking like they are now since day one.

Berrian should be leading the league in everything receiving. It's Chilly's fault that he isnt.

singersp
11-05-2008, 08:48 AM
"V" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

If Chilly had benched TJ in training camp, like he should have. Gus and Berrian would have been clicking like they are now since day one.

Berrian should be leading the league in everything receiving. It's Chilly's fault that he isnt.

No they wouldn't. I 100% disagree with that. Those long passes are all about timing & knowing where your receiver will be based on his speed. Timing is worked on throughout training camp.

It was painfully obvious that Berrian was running a slower in those first few games due to him still recovering from that turf toe injury that was still nagging him, there by affecting the timing.

BleedinPandG
11-05-2008, 08:57 AM
"V" wrote:

I believe in training camp TJ was the better alternative for QB.
In training camp TJ was more aggressive, threw a lot more deep balls, pressed harder.
It's like golf.
Almost anyone hits the ball on the range when it's wide open and there's no penalty for a mistake.
Get to the golf course, throw a water hazard into the mix with a forced carry, and suddenly we're all a bunch of hacks.
The same thing happened to TJ.
When it started to count he became far more worried about mistakes, got tight, and lost the abilities he demonstrated in camp when he wasn't as worried about mistakes and trusted himself more.
When, or if, TJ can carry that over to the football field he'll be a far better QB than Gus is for us right now.
Until then, Chilly has made the right call, Gus is the better option.
To believe Chilly should have known that TJ would play so timid under the spotlight is asking a lot.
For Chilly to acknowledge the issue after only 2 games, in my opinion, says a lot for him as a coach.

jmcdon00
11-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Bring back Tjack.

Yfz01
11-05-2008, 10:37 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

No they wouldn't. I 100% disagree with that. Those long passes are all about timing & knowing where your receiver will be based on his speed. Timing is worked on throughout training camp.

It was painfully obvious that Berrian was running a slower in those first few games due to him still recovering from that turf toe injury that was still nagging him, there by affecting the timing.

I didn't think Berrian was running all that slow in the first couple games.
Probably about as fast as he has since then.
He's just caught the ball and not tripped over his own feet.
I think the Packers have a secondary that can shut down most top flight receivers at this point, which makes it a difficult first opponent.

ragz
11-05-2008, 06:06 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"LincolnVike" wrote:

Seems to happen alot.

its still unfair for anyone to predict where one would be instead of the other after just 2 games.
after the first two games everyones golden boy jay cutler woulda been named league mvp, but as all young qbs do is having his downs to go with his early ups.
whos to say where jackson woulda been at this point.
we'll never know.
ferrotte struggled through his early starts and the offense struggled in the same way, as hes been in more its gotten better.
that should be expected, and once the decision was made there was no looking back outside of an injury.

in my opinion jacksons statement had less to do with being asked to be benched as it had to do with telling childress that by the way he was being used, he felt he had to play not to lose the game.
anyone that had watched the play calling and decision making throughout his starts could tell that is exactly what they were asking him to do.
as for now ferrotte is finding berrian which is making the biggest difference in our offense. and childress finally started making downfield a more frequent option in our offense.
a perfect example of the old offense compared to the new was how we ran our offense in the 2nd half of the houston game.
which is gotta be a bit scary, cuz it shows childress is still capable of calling a conservative game.
but back to ferrotte in conclusion, hes got to eliminate the turnovers that are giving teams seven or setting them up on our goal line to get seven.
he can get away with that maybe against the texans, but not against better teams in tighter games, i.e, bears, titans.

SamOchoCinco
11-05-2008, 06:14 PM
i kind of noticed somehting.

when gus gets smacked around like he didnt vs the saints (that was a giant hit he took by will smith lol!)

he does better :S

have you guys noticed that too?

V4L
11-05-2008, 06:16 PM
"SamOchoCinco" wrote:

when gus gets smacked around like he didnt vs the saints (that was a giant hit he took by will smith lol!)

What would that have to do with Bernard Berrian?

SamOchoCinco
11-05-2008, 06:39 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"SamOchoCinco" wrote:

What would that have to do with Bernard Berrian?

more production for BB

LincolnVike
11-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Now that we're facing what appear to be more low-caliber teams, BB and Gus should be hooking up even more often than they have.

MaxVike
11-05-2008, 08:44 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"V" wrote:

I believe in training camp TJ was the better alternative for QB.
In training camp TJ was more aggressive, threw a lot more deep balls, pressed harder.
It's like golf.
Almost anyone hits the ball on the range when it's wide open and there's no penalty for a mistake.
Get to the golf course, throw a water hazard into the mix with a forced carry, and suddenly we're all a bunch of hacks.
The same thing happened to TJ.
When it started to count he became far more worried about mistakes, got tight, and lost the abilities he demonstrated in camp when he wasn't as worried about mistakes and trusted himself more.
When, or if, TJ can carry that over to the football field he'll be a far better QB than Gus is for us right now.
Until then, Chilly has made the right call, Gus is the better option.
To believe Chilly should have known that TJ would play so timid under the spotlight is asking a lot.
For Chilly to acknowledge the issue after only 2 games, in my opinion, says a lot for him as a coach.

Good analogy and nice post.
As a lifelong golfer that's played in many pro-ams in the US, Canada and Scotland, your point is perfectly made.
It's what I refer to as the "schfincter meter."
The schfincter gets tight when looking at a 200 yard carry over water par 3 with hundreds of people watching.
Just like TJ's schfincter tightened when it was real.
Good point re:
Chilly.

V-Unit
11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
"SamOchoCinco" wrote:

Theory:

Gus is getting smacked around when the D brings extra pressure. This means less defenders to cover our WRs, meaning they can get open easier. Gus is very good at standing in the pocket and delivering the throw despite the pressure.