PDA

View Full Version : Kluwe Speaks today

Derek Rick
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 03:47 PM
He is a great punter. funny that the kicker is the only guy on the team he can tuff talk. he never came down on tjack when he sucked. he should be coming down on the whole special teams. if 11 pro ball players cant tackle 1 man the last guy i would blame it on is the punter.

marstc09
10-08-2008, 03:47 PM
What the fuck does he mean sometimes it doesn't go out of bounds. Even I could kick it out of bounds.

BloodyHorns82
10-08-2008, 03:50 PM
As pissed off as I was with the fact we kicked to him AGAIN!, I do think that Chilly should acknowledge that the other 10 players sucked balls and should have been called out as well.
All or none.

Derek Rick
10-08-2008, 03:51 PM
"vikings4life33" wrote:

He is a great punter. funny that the kicker is the only guy on the team he can tuff talk. he never came down on tjack when he sucked. he should be coming down on the whole special teams. if 11 pro ball players cant tackle 1 man the last guy i would blame it on is the punter.
I have to agree with this.
I mean even when Cedrick was bad at Titans he didn't even come down on him!

jessejames09
10-08-2008, 03:52 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

What the fuck does he mean sometimes it doesn't go out of bounds. Even I could kick it out of bounds.

We would grill his ass if he had a 30 yard punt out of bounds. It's like a 40-50 yard field goal, it requires strength and accuracy. Too much to the sideline and it's a shank kick, too much to the middle of the field and voila it stays in bounds.

Krumb
10-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Directional punting is essential , and I think Kluwe will be just fine , just like any position in this game you play long enough and something terrible is going to happen and Monday night was that night for the Special Teams not only Kluwe.

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 03:55 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

What the floop does he mean sometimes it doesn't go out of bounds. Even I could kick it out of bounds.

We would grill his jiggly butt if he had a 30 yard punt out of bounds. It's like a 40-50 yard field goal, it requires strength and accuracy. Too much to the sideline and it's a shank kick, too much to the middle of the field and voila it stays in bounds.

your right. teach the team how to break down and tackle and when 3 or 4 guys reach him at the same time it would take the hand of god for him to get away from that.

marstc09
10-08-2008, 03:56 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

We would grill his ass if he had a 30 yard punt out of bounds. It's like a 40-50 yard field goal, it requires strength and accuracy. Too much to the sideline and it's a shank kick, too much to the middle of the field and voila it stays in bounds.

Bullshit. Nobody with a right mind would grill him when we all know Hester and Bush are dangerous. Get it out of bounds. Shank it for all I care. Don't kick it to him. Very simple. Chilly has the right to be on his ass.

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 03:58 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

What the floop does he mean sometimes it doesn't go out of bounds. Even I could kick it out of bounds.

We would grill his jiggly butt if he had a 30 yard punt out of bounds. It's like a 40-50 yard field goal, it requires strength and accuracy. Too much to the sideline and it's a shank kick, too much to the middle of the field and voila it stays in bounds.

kaka del rio. Nobody with a right mind would grill him when we all know Hester and Bush are dangerous. Get it out of bounds. Shank it for all I care. Don't kick it to him. Very simple. Chilly has the right to be on his jiggly butt.
why not just kick it high so he has to fair catch it.

marstc09
"vikings4life33" wrote:

Maybe because the other 11 were expecting it to land out of bounds.

V4L
"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

kaka del rio. Nobody with a right mind would grill him when we all know Hester and Bush are dangerous. Get it out of bounds. Shank it for all I care. Don't kick it to him. Very simple. Chilly has the right to be on his jiggly butt.

Agreed

Our coverage has been horrible all season

Derek Rick
10-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Hey guys just thought of something else but i have a good feeling those two run backs by Bush would not have happened if we had Heath Farwell playing this year. That is a huge loss for are special teams and i really hope we resign him this offseason.

V4L
10-08-2008, 04:01 PM
"Derek" wrote:

Hey guys just thought of something else but i have a good feeling those two run backs by Bush would not have happened if we had Heath Farwell playing this year. That is a huge loss for are special teams and i really hope we resign him this offseason.

We will

He adds good depth and AMAZING special teams

Im not too impressed with any individual this year thus far

I had high hopes for Erin Henderson on ST but he hasnt done jack.. Except get jacked up

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 04:02 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

so you take a play off????? come on. you play no matter what. till the whisle blows.and it would be the other 10 players

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
"Derek" wrote:

i yell out heaths name everytime we get smoked. he is missed

V4L
10-08-2008, 04:04 PM
"vikings4life33" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

so you take a play off????? come on. you play no matter what. till the whisle blows.and it would be the other 10 players

Exactly

They get some blame as well

Just because it didn't go where it should doesn't mean they get a free pass

Still gotta make a tackle.. No matter where it is on the field

Derek Rick
10-08-2008, 04:04 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"Derek" wrote:

We will

He adds good depth and AMAZING special teams

Im not too impressed with any individual this year thus far

I had high hopes for Erin Henderson on ST but he hasnt done jack.. Except get jacked up
Wasn't Circui signed for his special team play? I haven't seen jack from him as a Viking yet either i dont know about you guys.

marstc09
10-08-2008, 04:11 PM
"vikings4life33" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

Agreed but it starts and ends with Kluwe.

i_bleed_purple
10-08-2008, 04:11 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

bullshit.
If the play doesn't go as planned, you can't give up, nor do you get a free pass if you give up a huge play.
You should realize what's happening and adjust, its not that hard to do.
The guys gunning it down field should have their eye on the return guy, if you notice him moving to the left or right, usually its a pretty good indication thats where the ball will end up.
If you see him catch the ball, then obviously it didn't go out of bounds, they should still run their lanes, and make sure noone gets past them.
plain and simple.

ultravikingfan
10-08-2008, 04:22 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

bullshit.
If the play doesn't go as planned, you can't give up, nor do you get a free pass if you give up a huge play.
The guys gunning it down field should have their eye on the return guy, if you notice him moving to the left or right, usually its a pretty good indication thats where the ball will end up.
If you see him catch the ball, then obviously it didn't go out of bounds, they should still run their lanes, and make sure noone gets past them.
plain and simple.

True, they are supposed to play it as if it is not out of bounds.

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 04:22 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

have you ever played a down of football??? grow up. hey everyone i throwing deep to BB. no one else needs to run a route and the line just block for lets say 2 seconds. WTF. or how about i plan on kicking this one for a touchback so no need to run down field. its football. most of the guys on SP are their because they are not good enough to play in the NFL. they have 1 job and they cant do it!

ultravikingfan
10-08-2008, 04:24 PM
"vikings4life33" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

have you ever played a down of football??? grow up. hey everyone i throwing deep to BB. no one else needs to run a route and the line just block for lets say 2 seconds. WTF. or how about i plan on kicking this one for a touchback so no need to run down field. its football. most of the guys on SP are their because they are not good enough to play in the NFL. they have 1 job and they cant do it!

Relax bro.

marstc09
10-08-2008, 04:25 PM
"vikings4life33" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

Grow up????????????? Wow you are pathetic. Read my fucking posts. I agreed that the 11 are at fault for not making the play. Kluwe was told to punt out of bounds and didn't. They are all at fault. Some people are fucking stupid sometimes.

ultravikingfan
10-08-2008, 04:27 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Grow up????????????? Wow you are pathetic. Read my fucking posts. I agreed that the 11 are at fault for not making the play. Kluwe was told to punt out of bounds and didn't. They are all at fault. Some people are fucking stupid sometimes.

Take a deep breath Mars....that's it...now relax buddy.

midgensa
10-08-2008, 04:48 PM
WOAH now folks. We won the damn game. No reason to be getting this worked up.
I am more surprised by the lack of talk about one of Kluwe's major problems that he has had since he came into the league.
He has a booming leg, but often lacks any significant hangtime on his kicks. He has consistently had this problem and it is one reason our punt coverage lacks on a regular basis.
When he has to pin inside the 20 ... he is great and puts plenty of hangtime on it. He obviously has the ability and needs to realize that a 50-yard punt with good hangtime is much better than even a 65-yarder with no hangtime.

petrodemos
10-08-2008, 04:48 PM
funny when the TEs or CBs suck you dont see childress bringing in 4 or 5 players like he did punters today. desperation?

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 04:53 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

funny when the TEs or CBs suck you dont see childress bringing in 4 or 5 players like he did punters today. desperation?
thats what im talking about. he is picking on the lil ol punter when their are bigger things to fix

midgensa
10-08-2008, 04:56 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

Yeah ... but he is just trying to prove a point. There are always a ton of punters available ... he can bring in all the CBs he wants off the streets, there are very few if any who would actually have a chance at playing.

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 04:58 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

Yeah ... but he is just trying to prove a point. There are always a ton of punters available ... he can bring in all the CBs he wants off the streets, there are very few if any who would actually have a chance at playing.

also true. good point. maybe some of those guys will try harder on special teams then the ones we have now. they will have nothing to lose

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 05:01 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Vikings Work Out Punters
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2016

The Vikings worked out four punters after practice today. We don’t know their identities because they were just starting to kick as the media availability was ending.

This is getting out of hand and the more I see of it the more I hate Chilly. Kluwe tried to put it out of bounds but it didn't go out. So what happens? Do 10 other players just give up. All eleven players have a job to do, and they didn't, so don't just blame it on one guy. Childress is taking all his wrath out on players because he sucks as a coach and he's under pressure.

church!

COJOMAY
10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
I had actually deleted the thread you quoted above, but too late, you actually quoted it. Someone else put up a separate thread just as I had put it in the Kluwe thread.

NodakPaul
10-08-2008, 05:12 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

kaka del rio.
plain and simple.

But their lanes change depending on where the ball is supposed to land.
You said you did some ST work before, how do you not know that?

If I am expecting the ball to go to the right, I make my release to the right.
If I am expecting the ball to go to the left, I make my release to the left.
By the time a gunner can see the returner moving, he is past his first man and committed to the lane.
Can he adjust? Yes, but the lanes are already screwed up.

Look at the first Bush TD.
That is exactly what happened.
Kluwe either shanked it or simply kicked it the wrong way.
He does not have good control over his directional kicking.
He has a strong leg, but excels most when kicking it straight down the field.
After that Childress told him to kick it out of bounds, and he couldn't do that either.

Out ST coverage sucks as it is, why would you want to make it any worse for them than it has to be?

NodakPaul
10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Childress isn't letting the other guys off the hook - he is taking the only action he really can.
maybe putting WInfield back on ST too.
But other than that and extra practice (which you can bet is happening), what else do you want him to do?
Give Kluwe some slack even though he can't do one of the most basic things as a punter?

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 05:24 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

kaka del rio.
plain and simple.

By the time a gunner can see the returner moving, he is past his first man and committed to the lane.

After that Childress told him to kick it out of bounds, and he couldn't do that either.

Out ST coverage sucks as it is, why would you want to make it any worse for them than it has to be?

but if the gunners close to the ball and break down then the only block is in the back.they are not breaking down. they are flying passed the ball carrier

NodakPaul
10-08-2008, 05:30 PM
"vikings4life33" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"vikings4life33" wrote:

kaka del rio.
plain and simple.

but if the gunners close to the ball and break down then the only block is in the back.they are not breaking down. they are flying passed the ball carrier

This is more or less true, although it still leaves more room to cover in their lane.
With a fast returner, this gives them room to get by.

Look, I am not trying to say that our ST problems are the sole fault of Kluwe's.
And I think that it was poor taste to call him out publicly like that.
But I am not going to sit here and pretend that he is being victimized by CHildress or used as a scapegoat for our ST play.
By both his admission and Childress's, he could NOT kick the ball out of bounds, not just once, but twice.
And the net result was 14 points for the Saints, bringing them right back into the game.

ThExRenegadE
10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Sure Kluwe should make the kick its his job, and yes they're 10 people to help make the tackle. I disagree with
Childress calling him out. Some of you made the point that he should have blamed the other ten, but our punt coverage wasn't the only thing that sucked look at our Kickoff coverage every time the saints got the ball it looked like Stecker (I believe it was) could reach the end zone. It's not only our punting its our ST as a whole.

NodakPaul
10-08-2008, 05:47 PM
"ThExRenegadE" wrote:

Sure Kluwe should make the kick its his job, and yes they're 10 people to help make the tackle. I disagree with
Childress calling him out. Some of you made the point that he should have blamed the other ten, but our punt coverage wasn't the only thing that sucked look at our Kickoff coverage every time the saints got the ball it looked like Stecker (I believe it was) could reach the end zone. It's not only our punting its our ST as a whole.

I would like us to bring in someone who can do both punts and kickoffs, and put the ball in the endzone on kickoffs and in the correct spot on punts.
But since that means possibly replacing Kluwe, apparently it is blasphemy and out of the question...

jmcdon00
10-08-2008, 05:48 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Bullshit. Nobody with a right mind would grill him when we all know Hester and Bush are dangerous. Get it out of bounds. Shank it for all I care. Don't kick it to him. Very simple. Chilly has the right to be on his ass.

Agreed, Chilly should be all over Kluwe for not getting it out of bounds, but he should do it in private, not to the media. When the coach sets an example of taking team matters to the media it could be bad, let's hope the rest of the team is more proffessional than Chilly.

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 05:49 PM
"ThExRenegadE" wrote:

True thats why i say ST's. Benny sapp is crap on kickoff. i watched him last week and be ran right around the side of the return man. its all about breaking down and staying close depth wise. if you make holes a good return man will find them

vikings4life33
10-08-2008, 05:51 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ThExRenegadE" wrote:

I would like us to bring in someone who can do both punts and kickoffs, and put the ball in the endzone on kickoffs and in the correct spot on punts.
But since that means possibly replacing Kluwe, apparently it is blasphemy and out of the question...

hahaha, your right. if we can find someone to do that it would be great. i cant remember the last time i saw a touchback on a kickoff

NodakPaul
10-08-2008, 05:58 PM
"vikings4life33" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ThExRenegadE" wrote:

hahaha, your right. if we can find someone to do that it would be great. i cant remember the last time i saw a touchback on a kickoff

QFT.
I hate seeing us kick to the 10 on kickoffs...
The Saints had GREAT field position all day because of our STs.

CCthebest
10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
TYPICAL Childress! How did he ever land a HC job????
???

The one player who has been consistantly good, he singles out and bitches because he made a mistake. Maybe Kluwe thought we had a ST that knows how to play and wanted to try and pin them deep, and play field positiion.

I cant STAND Childress or the way he coaches. He should have singled TJ, Shank, BB, Mckinney, THE ENTIRE OLINE, offense,
Special Teams etc. LONG ago, but decides to take it out on Kluwe. Unreal...

NodakPaul
10-08-2008, 06:13 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

???

The one player who has been consistantly good, he singles out and bitches because he made a mistake. Maybe Kluwe thought we had a ST that knows how to play and wanted to try and pin them deep, and play field positiion.

I cant STAND Childress or the way he coaches. He should have singled TJ, Shank, BB, Mckinney, THE ENTIRE OLINE, offense,

< sigh >
Have you even read the rest of this thread?

First, how is this typical Childress?
How many other times have we seen him single out a player like this?
Oh wait, none.

Second, Kluwe has NOT been consistently good.
He has been consistently average, and we have no way of knowing how many other times he hasn't been able to control where he puts the ball.

Third, you can't have a kicker who just "decides" to try and pin them deep when the rest of the unit is expecting him to kick it out of bounds.
And Kluwe isn't stupid enough to try.
He tried to kick it out of bounds, by his own admission, and could not do it.
Twice.
And it contributed to 14 points for the Saints.

NodakPaul
10-08-2008, 06:16 PM
BTW, I want to say that I am impressed with the way Kluwe responded.
Classy.
Definately more classy than the way Childressed addressed it to the media IMHO.
I doubt we will see any position change, and the 4 they brought in are more motivational than anything else.

That doesn't let Kluwe off the hook though.
We need all the help we can get at ST, and we are talking about a basic skill here.

petrodemos
10-08-2008, 06:17 PM
as soon as or if childress lets kluwe go he will land a job instantly somewhere else. not every punter can boot the ball the way kluwe does.

was kluwe wrong in not kicking it out of bounds? probably. Should he lose his job over it? I hope he doesnt.

What im wondering about is did childress ask him to boot it out of bounds 50 yards down the field? or did he ask him to boot it out of bounds 30 yards down the field. I am sure its not easy to boot it 50 yards down the field and make sure it goes out of bounds.

more pressing needs are finding Linebackers since were a couple short from what i understand. but childress would rather have a new punter....

about my earlier statements about Te's and CB's, yes it is more difficult to pick up players in those positions, but was just a reference to childress picking on the lowly punter :)

Purple Floyd
10-08-2008, 06:30 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

No shit.

The Qb and OL positions have looked terrible many,many games since childress took over but did you ever see him bring in multiple QB's or OL during the week for a tryout?

I guess he can do it to the punter because that may be the only player that won't be able to kick his ass for making him the scapegoat for a bad system and terrible coaching.

scottishvike
10-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Kickers in the NFL have about as much job security as a bank worker, they are always one bad game away from the chop. It would be a shame though if Kluwe is sacrificed after Mondays game as he has been pretty reliable up to that point.

old man
10-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Does Chris have an e-mail where he can be contacted or that he would read??

CCthebest
10-08-2008, 09:09 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

???

< sigh >

Oh wait, none.

He has been consistently average, and we have no way of knowing how many other times he hasn't been able to control where he puts the ball.

Third, you can't have a kicker who just "decides" to try and pin them deep when the rest of the unit is expecting him to kick it out of bounds.
Twice.

Its typical Childress causes he not adressing the real problems we have.
Blowing up at one guy, who is above average (isnt he in the top 5 in NFL for punts inside the 20?) but made a mistake, if indeed dickless told him not to punt to Bush. He SHOULD have blown up at the ST and the ST coach 3 Fing years ago.

ThExRenegadE
10-08-2008, 11:17 PM
I believe Childress totally handled this wrong. It's something that should be addressed in his office not public. If he wants to set an example single him out the the TEAM not the world. Does he honestly think a move like that is professional or going to help him keep his job? He looks like TO complaining he's not getting enough catches when they threw it to him 19 times. Kluwe tried kicking it out of bounds, but just like TO getting thrown to 19 times it takes more than 1 person sometimes.

Chazz
10-08-2008, 11:42 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

No shit.

The Qb and OL positions have looked terrible many,many games since childress took over but did you ever see him bring in multiple QB's or OL during the week for a tryout?

I guess he can do it to the punter because that may be the only player that won't be able to kick his ass for making him the scapegoat for a bad system and terrible coaching.

No doubt. T-Jack couldn't accurately throw the ball out of bounds 50 yards down the field. Why is it that he always praises him and the OL?

He is acting like a guy about to lose his job.

ragz
10-08-2008, 11:59 PM
this is a joke.
but for fear i'll be told that i complain too much, i'll leave it to everybody else to do the complaining.

DustinDupont
10-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Ziggy Wilf should bring in 4-5 coaches and see how they interview.... and i guarantee chilly would be gone

kevoncox
10-09-2008, 12:53 AM
"ragz" wrote:

this is a joke.
but for fear i'll be told that i complain too much, i'll leave it to everybody else to do the complaining.

Ragz, don't let them get to you. Your opinion is a valuable one. Why have a message board if everyone agreed? I laugh and egg them on while doing it. There are few people with actual football knowledge on this board. Everyone else just says what they hear on Espn.

Back to the point. It's a poor decision. We should be busy finding replacement MLBs and perharps working a trade for a QB like Sage, he won't ever play in Houston, so the 2nd rounder will likely be a 3rd or 4th.

ragz
10-09-2008, 01:02 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

this is a joke.

Ragz, don't let them get to you. Your opinion is a valuable one. Why have a message board if everyone agreed? I laugh and egg them on while doing it. There are few people with actual football knowledge on this board. Everyone else just says what they hear on Espn.

Back to the point. It's a poor decision. We should be busy finding replacement MLBs and perharps working a trade for a QB like Sage, he won't ever play in Houston, so the 2nd rounder will likely be a 3rd or 4th.

they dont bother me, it was meant to mock them.
as if the whole site isn't 80 percent complaining.

kinda makes you wonder if cutting pope in the preseason was a great idea.
at least he had some experience starting.
but where are you gonna find a mlb now?

kluwe had a bad game, can we not over-react as if he was the first guy to do so, or for that matter the only guy on monday.
if this is suppose to be some kinda statment to the rest of the team, i dont think cutting your punter is really gonna put them in fear of their jobs.
especially when they know childress is in fear of his right now.

ragz
10-09-2008, 03:08 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

???

< sigh >

Oh wait, none.

Twice.

first.
actually, if you recall he benched tavaris after 2 games for unagressiveness and an inept offense that has existed since hes been here.
i'm pretty sure that was singling one guy out.
especially when you say hes unagressive meanwhile in the game you just played you called a run play on 3rd and 5 at the 30 yard line of indy instead of letting him try to get a first down.
kinda hypopcritical i think.

second. nobody is calling him ray guy but i wouldnt exactly call him a big problem for our special teams.
especially when the kick coverage has been so bad.

3rd.
yes kluwe did say he was trying to kick it outta bounds, but i dont think anyone told him to kick it out bounds 20 yards from where they were punting.
the idea was to still get a good kick out of it and i think thats the point kluwe was trying to make.
yes, anybody could have just kicked it out of bounds, but i'm not sure thats exactly what they wanted him to do.
and your comment about the shank i'm not too sure about, i mean all the kicks looked directional and still had bush pinned on a sideline, but the coverage sucked.
he went across field on 2 of em, and than was able to go right up the sideline and the 3rd.
in another words, alot of poor play.
including other facets of the team.
just seems kinda cheesy to me.

kevoncox
10-09-2008, 05:56 AM
"ragz" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

???

< sigh >

Oh wait, none.

Twice.

first.
actually, if you recall he benched tavaris after 2 games for unagressiveness and an inept offense that has existed since hes been here.
especially when you say hes unagressive meanwhile in the game you just played you called a run play on 3rd and 5 at the 30 yard line of indy instead of letting him try to get a first down.

second. nobody is calling him ray guy but i wouldnt exactly call him a big problem for our special teams.

3rd.
yes kluwe did say he was trying to kick it outta bounds, but i dont think anyone told him to kick it out bounds 20 yards from where they were punting.
the idea was to still get a good kick out of it and i think thats the point kluwe was trying to make.
yes, anybody could have just kicked it out of bounds, but i'm not sure thats exactly what they wanted him to do.
and your comment about the shank i'm not too sure about, i mean all the kicks looked directional and still had bush pinned on a sideline, but the coverage sucked.
he went across field on 2 of em, and than was able to go right up the sideline and the 3rd.

Exactly, If he kcks it 10 yards out f bounds, everyoen screams wtf. The point is to get them 50 yrds and out of bounds. It didn't happen and he owned up to it. However, the return was due to some terrible tackling. You stay in your lanes and you don't get beat. Thats how you contain a returner.

Purple Floyd
10-09-2008, 08:02 AM
"DustinDupont" wrote:

Ziggy Wilf should bring in 4-5 coaches and see how they interview.... and i guarantee chilly would be gone

Post of the year.

If Wilf interviewed 4 potential coaches after every game where our coaches sucked Northwest would have to add another route.

How long before that joke of a coach is fired. Maybe Wilf will wait until Christmas Eve.

NodakPaul
10-09-2008, 08:18 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"DustinDupont" wrote:

Post of the year.

If Wilf interviewed 4 potential coaches after every game where our coaches sucked Northwest would have to add another route.

How long before that joke of a coach is fired. Maybe Wilf will wait until Christmas Eve.

What four potential coaches are there?
Keep in mind that he cannot talk to any of the staff of any other teams, and most college coaches have monetary penalties for early withdrawal of contract.

I want Childress gone at the end of the year too.
I also want out ST to learn how to adjust, stay in their lanes, and freaking tackle.
AND I want a punter who can aim.

I don't like the way Childress criticized him publicly.
I think Kluwe handled the situation with more class.
But that doesn't take away from the fact that Kluwe is a major part of our ST, and he is struggling to get the job done as asked.
So why is everybody up in arms about them bringing in 4 punters who likely don't stand a chance of replacing Kluwe anyway?

People ask why they don't bring in TEs or LBs when they under perform.
THEY DO!
But we already have a pool of players at those position - its called the practice squad.
They don't need to bring in additional ones when they want to explore options.

Jesus, people complain if he doesn't do anything, and then they complain when he does something.

Purple Floyd
10-09-2008, 08:42 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"DustinDupont" wrote:

Post of the year.

Keep in mind that he cannot talk to any of the staff of any other teams, and most college coaches have monetary penalties for early withdrawal of contract.

I also want out ST to learn how to adjust, stay in their lanes, and freaking tackle.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that Kluwe is a major part of our ST, and he is struggling to get the job done as asked.
So why is everybody up in arms about them bringing in 4 punters who likely don't stand a chance of replacing Kluwe anyway?

THEY DO!
But we already have a pool of players at those position - its called the practice squad.

Jesus, people complain if he doesn't do anything, and then they complain when he does something.

What 4 potential punters are sitting at home who would be better than
punter we have in kluwe? remember, Childress can't talk to players who are under contract ;)

ejmat
10-09-2008, 09:26 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ThExRenegadE" wrote:

Let's get Berger back from the Steelers.
LOL

ejmat
10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
"Chazz" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

No shit.

No doubt. T-Jack couldn't accurately throw the ball out of bounds 50 yards down the field. Why is it that he always praises him and the OL?

How can you say Childress is always praising TJack?
He replaced him after his second game this year!

ejmat
10-09-2008, 09:30 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

this is a joke.

Because there are so many to choose from.
By the way they resigned Rufus to the practice squad to add a little depth.
They also brought in Dontarius Thomas for a workout.

ejmat
10-09-2008, 09:33 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

???

< sigh >

Oh wait, none.

Twice.

first.

3rd.

Exactly, If he kcks it 10 yards out f bounds, everyoen screams wtf. The point is to get them 50 yrds and out of bounds. It didn't happen and he owned up to it. However, the return was due to some terrible tackling. You stay in your lanes and you don't get beat. Thats how you contain a returner.

So do you think kicking the ball 35-40 yards and OOB is out oof the norm?
C'mon here.
The guy fucked up!
There is no need to let him off the hook.
This is not the first time.
He has screwed up more than this one game.

pattyosviKING
10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Leave the kicker alone.
Everyone has a bad day

WOcwJH5jWng
(not totally relevant, but close enough)

Marrdro
10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

[/quote]
Haven't been on much my friend, however, the little I read today, seems like you are a lone voice of reason.

Keep it up my friend.
;D

Derek Rick
10-09-2008, 03:22 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2019

idahovikefan7
10-09-2008, 03:30 PM
"Derek" wrote:

Good to hear Kluwe is working on his directional kicking...Now lets do some dang tackling drills!!!

jessejames09
10-09-2008, 03:33 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Haven't been on much my friend, however, the little I read today, seems like you are a lone voice of reason.

Keep it up my friend.

;D

Cowher
Marty
Denny
Jim Mora Sr.

And 2 of them are actually reasonable options, as far-fetched as it may be.

VikingMike
10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Keep it up my friend.

;D

Ever since there have been punters on the field, there have been directional punts. We've all heard of "coffin corner" punts. It's a copout for Kluwe to say it's not that easy. Instead of punting it 55 yards and having it land just off the sidelines is not needed. You make sure it's out of bounds...miss one, OK, but two...not good at all.

I agree the criticism should have been kept inside. But I don't think anyone threw him under a bus...he screwed up twice and almost cost us the game.

Maybe it's convenient that Chilly has a "whipping boy" in Kluwe. Some coaches need one in order to motivate other players. Who knows?

AngloVike
10-09-2008, 03:54 PM
"Derek" wrote:

He needs to do better in the situation he was put in Monday night, and I need to do a better job of helping him do that.

careful coach.. some might take that as an admission that our coaching staff is not all powerful
;D

Chazz
10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

No shit.

I can say that because he moved his mouth and sounds came out. He replaced him because he is about to lose his job and he is desparate. He declared TJ his man through half of the week before suddenly changing his mind. Calling out Kluwe for are complete ineptitude on STs reeks of desparation. I dare him to replace Kluwe with someone else, he will end up out of here as fast as he sent Kluwe away. Better yet, Lets wait until Christmas eve.

Purple Floyd
10-09-2008, 05:43 PM
"Chazz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

No shit.

I can say that because he moved his mouth and sounds came out. He replaced him because he is about to lose his job and he is desparate. He declared TJ his man through half of the week before suddenly changing his mind. Calling out Kluwe for are complete ineptitude on STs reeks of desparation. I dare him to replace Kluwe with someone else, he will end up out of here as fast as he sent Kluwe away. Better yet, Lets wait until Christmas eve.

Exactly.

He was praising Jackson pretty much up to the point where he benched him. Didn't he say jackson was the starter as early as that Monday only to bench him Wed?

ragz
10-09-2008, 05:59 PM
well the one thing i think we should all try to remember is how bad our punting was for several years before kluwe came along.
now he may not be the greatest ever, but to say we could bring in anyone is obviously not true cuz i think there was like a 3 year span that our punters sucked and they did hurt us in every game and not just one here or there.

its time to move on anyway, i dont think he is replacing him.
he was just trying to act like a tough guy and pretend he has everything under control.
was it me, or did it look like he was on the verge of having a stroke throughout that whole game?
i mean i know the game was wild, but i dont think i've ever seen him consistently that weird looking over the course of a game.

VikingsTw
10-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Well Kluwe goes from one extreme to other, I thought the Punt he made Vs the Packers was god awful and allowed Blackman a solid opportunity to make a play, it was low and short. Blackman scored a TD.

The bottom line with the Saints game is simple coverage IMO, Bush is good but 2 in one game is uncalled for, the coverage units on both Punts and KickOffs are god awful that has to say something.

I think Childress is acting like a little girl, none of these guys he has brought are better than Kluwe, he should be more concerned about the coverage and tackling ability. Vini Churchu is turning out to be a waste while he simply missed a tackle on one of the TD's. I don't here Childress calling him out. I think its arogance on the Coaches part and basically a chance to cover his own @ss.

Rufus Alexander should have never been cut simply for specail team purposes.

ragz
10-09-2008, 06:30 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

Well Kluwe goes from one extreme to other, I thought the Punt he made Vs the Packers was god awful and allowed Blackman a solid opportunity to make a play, it was low and short. Blackman scored a TD.

The bottom line with the Saints game is simple coverage IMO, Bush is good but 2 in one game is uncalled for, the coverage units on both Punts and KickOffs are god awful that has to say something.

I think Childress is acting like a little girl, none of these guys he has brought are better than Kluwe, he should be more concerned about the coverage and tackling ability. Vini Churchu is turning out to be a waste while he simply missed a tackle on one of the TD's. I don't here Childress calling him out. I think its arogance on the Coaches part and basically a chance to cover his own @ss.

Rufus Alexander should have never been cut simply for specail team purposes.

i think i read rufus is the guy the vikings might bring up from the practice squad to add depth to our lb core.
so you might get your wish

VikingsTw
10-09-2008, 06:40 PM
It would probably help, I seen more out of him in the PreSeason than I have of Vini since he got here from Carolina. He was probably one of Paul Freraro's good ole boys...

Chazz
10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

No shit.

Exactly.

He was praising Jackson pretty much up to the point where he benched him. Didn't he say jackson was the starter as early as that Monday only to bench him Wed?

Yes...I believe he was still saying Jackson was the starter as late as tuesday, only to do a complete 180 on Wed. To me it sounds as if Childress and Wilf had a bit of a conversation Wed night.

ragz
10-09-2008, 11:05 PM
"VikingMike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Keep it up my friend.

;D

Ever since there have been punters on the field, there have been directional punts. We've all heard of "coffin corner" punts. It's a copout for Kluwe to say it's not that easy. Instead of punting it 55 yards and having it land just off the sidelines is not needed. You make sure it's out of bounds...miss one, OK, but two...not good at all.

I agree the criticism should have been kept inside. But I don't think anyone threw him under a bus...he screwed up twice and almost cost us the game.

Maybe it's convenient that Chilly has a "whipping boy" in Kluwe. Some coaches need one in order to motivate other players. Who knows?

yah mike but all facets of our game stunk at one time or another during the game, and i seriously doubt that any other player is going to be motivated by the fact childress replaced the punter.
it just seems cheesy.
i mean i heard him make excuses for his offense for 2 years and not single anyone out really, but now all of a sudden you're going to do it to a "punter".
we really shouldnt care this much, but i think the frustration of fans of how bad the game was played throughout made us a little bit more defensive of a player we shouldn't care that much about.

ItalianStallion
10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
The real question is why Childress hired such a terrible special teams coach that cannot teach players to get down field and break down and make a tackle.
Our special teams coverage has been bad for as long as Childress has been here and absolutely horrendous this year.

Purple Floyd
10-09-2008, 11:37 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Keep it up my friend.

;D

Hey now, why are you giving that ND guy credit for my post? ;D

Now, go back and read the post again. I did not say there were coaches out there, I only said if Wilf treated Childress like Childress had just treated Kluwe, that we would have a regular carousel of coaches coming in.

I know full well that it would be hard to find a coach at this point in the season ( Although I would be ready to give it a shot). But by the same token how many punters are sitting by the phone right now without a contract that could realistically come in and take the job from Kluwe? Do you have any names you would like to put money on? I think there are probably more guys out there who could be our head coach next week than there are guys who would be a better punter next week.

IMO there would be much less complaining if he would bring in ST players to see if any of them could tackle a returner rather than bringing in a punter who, if he replaces Kluwe, would not improve a group that can't tackle for the life of them.

ragz
10-09-2008, 11:47 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Keep it up my friend.

;D

Now, go back and read the post again. I did not say there were coaches out there, I only said if Wilf treated Childress like Childress had just treated Kluwe, that we would have a regular carousel of coaches coming in.

I know full well that it would be hard to find a coach at this point in the season ( Although I would be ready to give it a shot). But by the same token how many punters are sitting by the phone right now without a contract that could realistically come in and take the job from Kluwe? Do you have any names you would like to put money on? I think there are probably more guys out there who could be our head coach next week than there are guys who would be a better punter next week.

IMO there would be much less complaining if he would bring in ST players to see if any of them could tackle a returner rather than bringing in a punter who, if he replaces Kluwe, would not improve a group that can't tackle for the life of them.
[/quote]
you know whats really scary?
what does this say about our depth?
these guys are the backups to positions and have to step in when injuries occur.
if they can't tackle on special teams my bet is they aren't that much better in their normal positions.

Purple Floyd
10-10-2008, 12:07 AM
"ragz" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Keep it up my friend.

;D

these guys are the backups to positions and have to step in when injuries occur.
if they can't tackle on special teams my bet is they aren't that much better in their normal positions.

What is really scary is that these are the guys that Childress said he needed to run his system and look what we got.

Childress should have named it the "Snakeoil system"

ragz
10-10-2008, 12:15 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Keep it up my friend.

;D

What is really scary is that these are the guys that Childress said he needed to run his system and look what we got.

Childress should have named it the "Snakeoil system"

ha ha ha.
the worse thing he could have ever done was say that his offense was kick ass.
now thats all you ever hear from fans and he is probably gonna have to hear that the rest of his career until he becomes successful.
if ever.

UTVikfan
10-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Well, Belicheck sucked, til he landed the N.E gig, so who knows. Chilly could be really good. Not holding my breath. Coughlin was all but out, til he won the SB. IMO, the players did most of that in both cases, so guess it could happen.

I think taking your frustrations out on the punter, is just sad. He DID NOT bring in kickers that could stop the 50 yard returns. I am sensing desperation. QB change, desperation. Calling out the punter publicly, desperation, hahahahhahah. If Chilly has an O, he could just march it out, and not care about punting. As it is, well, Christmas eve sounds good.

ragz
10-10-2008, 02:04 AM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

Well, Belicheck sucked, til he landed the N.E gig, so who knows. Chilly could be really good. Not holding my breath. Coughlin was all but out, til he won the SB. IMO, the players did most of that in both cases, so guess it could happen.

I think taking your frustrations out on the punter, is just sad. He DID NOT bring in kickers that could stop the 50 yard returns. I am sensing desperation. QB change, desperation. Calling out the punter publicly, desperation, hahahahhahah. If Chilly has an O, he could just march it out, and not care about punting. As it is, well, Christmas eve sounds good.

well coughlin had success in jax so its not exactly like he was a failure.
did belicheck take the browns/ravens one year with testeverde?
but its true in a sense, belicheck did have to learn and when he got his next chance he knew what was up.
maybe it could happen for childress too.
but then he'd have to get fired first.

Prophet
10-10-2008, 07:33 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

The real question is why Childress hired such a terrible special teams coach that cannot teach players to get down field and break down and make a tackle.
Our special teams coverage has been bad for as long as Childress has been here and absolutely horrendous this year.

The ST have been doing a poor job in tackling, but I'm not complaining about the blocked FG for the TD last week.
Ferraro seemed like a reasonable choice to me based on his credentials.
Now he is extremely suspect, plus, I like the ring of "Fire Ferraro!"

Seriously though, if you were HC and looking for a ST coach, his background looked like a nice fit:

http://www.vikings.com/TeamCoachProfile_Paul_Ferraro.aspx

Professional BiographyThe 2008 season marks Paul Ferraro’s 3rd season as the Vikings Special Teams Coordinator, his 4th season of NFL coaching and his 27th season coaching overall. The 2007 Vikings special teams were some of the most successful in team history and the core of the units return for the 2008 season. The 2007 special teams set team records for kickoff return average, the longest kickoff return in team history, the most punts landed inside the 20, the most 50+ yard punts and the team converted a pair of onside kicks. The Vikings special teams coverage units were led by LB Heath Farwell, who led the team in special teams tackles for the 2nd straight season and was voted by his teammates as the Special Teams MVP and was recognized as a Pro Bowl alternate. Farwell set a Vikings record with 7 special teams tackles in a win at NY Giants (11/25/07).

The Vikings kickoff return unit was keyed by the development of a pair of rookies and set a team record with an average return of 24.8 yards. Rookie 5th-round pick Aundrae Allison set a Vikings record with a 28.7 average on kickoff returns, posted the longest play in Vikings history when he returned a kickoff 104 yards vs. Detroit (12/2/07) and led the NFC in kickoff return average. Allison came to the Vikings and was developed as a return man despite not being a factor in the return game during his collegiate career. The Vikings return game allowed 3 different players (Allison-3, Adrian Peterson-2 and Troy Williamson-1) to post 6 kickoff returns of 50+ yards.

Punter Chris Kluwe set team records with 34 punts landed inside the 20 and 29 punts of 50+ yards on the season. Kicker Ryan Longwell booted a game-winning 55-yard FG at Chicago (10/14/07), the 2nd-longest FG in Vikings history. Longwell converted a pair of onside kicks that were recovered by Farwell, including the 1st-ever by the Vikings in the 1st quarter of a game vs. Philadelphia (10/28/07). Longwell has converted 3 onside kicks in his 7 attempts in 2 seasons with the Vikings. In his 2 seasons as a Viking and working with Ferraro, Longwell has not missed a FG inside 45 yards.

In his 1st season with the Vikings in 2006 Ferraro generated 4 takeaways with his special team units, had punt returner Mewelde Moore tie a franchise record with his 2nd career punt return TD and Longwell make all 21 of his FG attempts under 46 yards. The Vikings successfully executed a fake FG for a TD when Longwell hit TE Richard Owens with a 16-yard TD pass, becoming the 1st Vikings kicker to throw a TD pass in team history. Kluwe matched a team record by landing 28 punts inside the 20 for the season. Moore ranked 4th in the NFC for the 2006 season with a 10.1 average. Moore returned a punt for a TD for the 2nd time in his career with a 71-yarder vs. New England (10/30) on Monday Night Football.

In 2005 the #5-seeded Panthers notched a pair of upset road wins en route to the NFC Championship game, topping the NY Giants and #2-seeded Chicago Bears on their home fields. During the playoff run the Panthers special teams were stellar as Pro Bowl WR Steve Smith returned a punt for a TD in the Championship game and the punt coverage team held opponents to a 2.2-yard return average. John Kasay was 6-of-6 in FGs and P Jason Baker landed 7 of his 16 punts inside the 20. During the regular season Baker led the NFC and ranked 3rd in the NFL in net punting average at 38.9 and landed a career-best 20 punts inside the 20 in his debut season with the Panthers. Kasay’s 121 points were the 3rd-most in his career and his 26 FGs made was tied for the 3rd-best in his 14 NFL seasons. Smith, coming back from a season-ending injury in 2004, was fearless on punt returns and ranked 3rd in the NFC with a 10.6-yard average. Both the kickoff and punt coverage units were solid, raking 5th in the NFL in punt return average allowed at 6.5 yards and 11th in the NFL with a 21.3 kickoff return average allowed.

Ferraro’s stint with Carolina was the 1st for him in the NFL after 23 seasons at the collegiate level. Previous to coming to the Panthers he was defensive coordinator at Rutgers from 2001-04. The 2004 Scarlet Knights led the Big East in sacks, takeaways and 3rd-down defense.

Ferraro spent the 1999 and 2000 seasons coaching defensive backs with Georgia Tech, coaching a pair of DBs to All-Atlantic Coast Conference 2nd-team honors as Travares Tillman was recognized in 1999 and Jeremy Muyres in 2000. Tillman went on to be a 2nd-round draft choice in 2000 by the Buffalo Bills. The Yellow Jackets went to the Gator Bowl in 1999 to face Miami and the Peach Bowl in 2000 playing LSU. Ferraro served on the staff of future Vikings defensive coordinator George O’Leary at Tech.

His coaching travels have taken Ferraro from his beginnings at Massachusetts as a graduate assistant in 1982 to stops at Syracuse (1983), Villanova (1984-86) and Dartmouth (1987). In 1988 Ferraro was named assistant head coach/assistant athletic director at Catholic University before moving to Maine in 1989 where he helped the Black Bears win the Yankee Conference title and advance to the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs. Following a stint at Ohio University as LBs coach in 1990 he became defensive coordinator at Bowling Green in 1991.

During his tenure at BGSU, the team climbed to the top of the Mid-America Conference where the team went undefeated in league play in 1991 and ’92 en route to winning the Raisin Bowl over Fresno State and the Las Vegas Bowl over Nevada respectively. The Falcon defense under Ferraro was stingy, allowing only 16.3 points per game in from 1991-94 and posted 3 shutouts in 1994. During his tenure, 12 BGSU players earned 1st-Team All-MAC honors and LB Vince Palko was named the MAC Defensive Player of the Year in 1993 and ’94. Ferraro spent 8 seasons at the school (1991-98) before advancing to Georgia Tech.

As a collegian, Ferraro played SS at Springfield College, earning All-New England honors as a senior. A native of Ridgewood, NJ, Ferraro (4/30/59) earned his bachelor’s degree in 1982 a master’s from Syracuse in 1986. Ferraro was teammates at Springfield with NY Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

NFL History2005 Carolina Panthers Special Teams Assistant/Assistant Strength & Conditioning

Personal BiographyFerraro came to the Vikings in 2006 with 24 seasons of coaching experience and spent the 2005 season at NFC runner-up Carolina.

ejmat
10-10-2008, 07:59 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

No shit.

Exactly.

I don't agree.
Even before TJack was benched he was saying how he wasn't playing like he was in preseason.
C'mon guys, it is rediculous how you can blame Childress and try to make him look badly for everything.
People make mistakes.
He was wrong about TJack being the future.
However, many analysts were wrong about it as well.
There are players that pan out and there are players that don't.
I don't mind people's opinions but you have to look at both sides.
It has not been all bad at all.

ragz
10-10-2008, 08:08 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

No pooh.

I guess he can do it to the punter because that may be the only player that won't be able to kick his jiggly butt for making him the scapegoat for a bad system and terrible coaching.

Exactly.

I don't agree.
Even before TJack was benched he was saying how he wasn't playing like he was in preseason.
C'mon guys, it is rediculous how you can blame Childress and try to make him look badly for everything.
People make mistakes.

ha ha ha.
hes 25 and has 16 career starts.
pan out?
i guess its over for him. face it, hes feeling pressure and just gave up on it, it has nothing to do with panning out.
he made 2 starts and he pulled the the plug.

ejmat
10-10-2008, 08:12 AM
"ragz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

No pooh.

I guess he can do it to the punter because that may be the only player that won't be able to kick his jiggly butt for making him the scapegoat for a bad system and terrible coaching.

Exactly.

I don't agree.
People make mistakes.

ha ha ha.
pan out?
i guess its over for him. face it, hes feeling pressure and just gave up on it, it has nothing to do with panning out.

hahaha.
What would you call it?
At this point he did not pan out.
He wasn't getting the job done this year.
Maybe he will sometime down the road but for now he is benched.
hahaha

ragz
10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

No pooh.

Exactly.

I don't agree.
People make mistakes.

ha ha ha.
pan out?

hahaha.
What would you call it?
hahaha

i call it a desperate man that couldnt stick with a decision he tried to sell to all of us. he felt the pressure cuz he knew he was in trouble and what else could he do at that point?
when people are calling for you head cuz your offense stinks theres only one move you can make that can take heat off of you.
everyone acts sometimes like this wasn't his decision, and that he didnt have months, or really over a year to decide what he wanted to do.
so for real, do you really think he changed his mind after 2 very tight games, or did he just pull someone in front of him to avoid the firing squad?

ejmat
10-10-2008, 08:47 AM
"ragz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

No pooh.

Exactly.

I don't agree.
People make mistakes.

ha ha ha.
pan out?

hahaha.
What would you call it?
hahaha

i call it a desperate man that couldnt stick with a decision he tried to sell to all of us. he felt the pressure cuz he knew he was in trouble and what else could he do at that point?
when people are calling for you head cuz your offense stinks theres only one move you can make that can take heat off of you.
everyone acts sometimes like this wasn't his decision, and that he didnt have months, or really over a year to decide what he wanted to do.
so for real, do you really think he changed his mind after 2 very tight games, or did he just pull someone in front of him to avoid the firing squad?

I definately believe he was strongly urged by Zygi to bench him.
However, the issue at hand here is TJ wasn't cutting it no matter which way it is sliced.
Is Frerrote doing any better?
Not so much but the difference is he has respect of the team which TJ didn't.
Childress thought this would be a breakout year for TJ.
Just like a lot of others did.
He played well toward the end of the season last year.
He played well in preseason this year.
Why wouldn't he have high hopes for the kid?
He benched him after we were 0-2 and he had lost control of the team.
That was evident by the comments the players were making during interviews.

Purple Floyd
10-10-2008, 09:16 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

No shit.

I can say that because he moved his mouth and sounds came out. He replaced him because he is about to lose his job and he is desperate. He declared TJ his man through half of the week before suddenly changing his mind. Calling out Kluwe for are complete ineptitude on STs reeks of desparation. I dare him to replace Kluwe with someone else, he will end up out of here as fast as he sent Kluwe away. Better yet, Lets wait until Christmas eve.

Exactly.

I don't agree.
C'mon guys, it is ridiculous how you can blame Childress and try to make him look badly for everything.
People make mistakes.

You don't have to agree, it is still a free country.( At least until the world bank assumes ownership of everything we have) But the blame can surely be put to Childress as far as Jackson is concerned.

Tell me this:

After one bad game Childress brings in 4 punters for tryouts.

Since he named Jackson the starter in 2006, who has Childress brought in at QB that was a legitimate starter for a tryout? Jackson is the only QB I have seen in a long time that was drafted as a prospect but then given the starting job without challenge and who never had to face an open competition to win the job. It was handed to him and Childress backed him the whole time.

ejmat
10-10-2008, 09:39 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

No shit.

I can say that because he moved his mouth and sounds came out. He replaced him because he is about to lose his job and he is desperate. He declared TJ his man through half of the week before suddenly changing his mind. Calling out Kluwe for are complete ineptitude on STs reeks of desparation. I dare him to replace Kluwe with someone else, he will end up out of here as fast as he sent Kluwe away. Better yet, Lets wait until Christmas eve.

Exactly.

I don't agree.
C'mon guys, it is ridiculous how you can blame Childress and try to make him look badly for everything.
People make mistakes.

You don't have to agree, it is still a free country.( At least until the world bank assumes ownership of everything we have) But the blame can surely be put to Childress as far as Jackson is concerned.

Tell me this:

Since he named Jackson the starter in 2006, who has Childress brought in at QB that was a legitimate starter for a tryout? Jackson is the only QB I have seen in a long time that was drafted as a prospect but then given the starting job without challenge and who never had to face an open competition to win the job. It was handed to him and Childress backed him the whole time.

I agree that Childress has mishandled the entire QB situation since his arrival. This is not the first time Klewe has fucked up.
He kicked a line drive to Blackmon in the Packers game.
He has struggled kicking the ball OOB on several other plays.
Listen, Klewe is not the worst Punter in the owrld.
However they are easier to replace then is a QB.
Good QBs are difficult to come by in this league.
Not many teams have backup QBs that are worth anything.
Punters are easier to find and insert in the lineup as they do not have to have as broad of knowledge as does a QB.
That example is like comparing oranges and basketballs.

ragz
10-10-2008, 11:04 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

No pooh.

Exactly.

I don't agree.
People make mistakes.

Tell me this:

I agree that Childress has mishandled the entire QB situation since his arrival. This is not the first time Klewe has ~messed up~ up.
Punters are easier to find and insert in the lineup as they do not have to have as broad of knowledge as does a QB.

well i think too much focus in both instances are being put on one player.
jackson did not lose the first 2 games of the season on his own.
jsut as ferrotte has not won 2 of his 3 games on his own.
kluwe is not solely responsible for punt returns for tds.
i mean some punters make bad kicks once in a blue moon, it doesn't meant every time you do the other team has to score a td.
in both instances childress pretty much chose one player to blame for a bevy of problems.
now i dont think its as a big of a deal as we have made it out to be, i just think its cheesy is all.
and if anything he made it into a bigger deal by carrying over what might have been frustration right after the game, into a week of tryouts for players hes probably not gonna sign anyway.

ejmat
10-10-2008, 12:08 PM
"ragz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

No pooh.

Exactly.

I don't agree.
People make mistakes.

Tell me this:

I agree that Childress has mishandled the entire QB situation since his arrival. This is not the first time Klewe has ~messed up~ up.

i mean some punters make bad kicks once in a blue moon, it doesn't meant every time you do the other team has to score a td.
in both instances childress pretty much chose one player to blame for a bevy of problems.
now i dont think its as a big of a deal as we have made it out to be, i just think its cheesy is all.
and if anything he made it into a bigger deal by carrying over what might have been frustration right after the game, into a week of tryouts for players hes probably not gonna sign anyway.

Great post.
I agree with that entire post.
None of it was just one players' fault.
It all was team efforts.
The reason why TJ was neched was more becasue of the loss of control of the team.
It isn't like Frerrote is trearing up the league.
He's doing what is necessary to get the job done.
Not much better than TJ if at all.
The difference is the team seems to respond to Gus more than they did with TJ this year.

ragz
10-11-2008, 12:47 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

No pooh.

Exactly.

I don't agree.
People make mistakes.

Tell me this:

Great post.
I agree with that entire post.
None of it was just one players' fault.
It all was team efforts.
The reason why TJ was neched was more becasue of the loss of control of the team.
It isn't like Frerrote is trearing up the league.
He's doing what is necessary to get the job done.
Not much better than TJ if at all.
The difference is the team seems to respond to Gus more than they did with TJ this year.

could be.
i think ferrotte is alot less likely to be influenced by the coach.
in the sense hes gonna be less afraid of making a mistake so he'll take more chances.
but remember, childress said he was benching jackson cuz of lack of agressiveness.
what kinda message do you think you send your starting, young qb when in the first 2 games you have him throw 7 passes in the first half of each?
in the 2nd game when you can close the game out you run the ball on a 3rd and 5 to miss a 49 yard field goal.
and then at the end of the game with the ball, under 2 minutes, and the colts having timeouts you run the ball twice and then call a rollout pass to tahi.
it came off a little hypocritical to me that you say hes playing scared, but then you are kinda using him that way, and he probably learned that from childress's preaching of protecting the ball.

i just haven't heard childress ever kinda take some responsibility for anything really.
theres always some explanation for winning a toss and kicking off, or punting with under 2 minutes left with no timeouts and down by 13.
just two examples from one game actually, but you know what i mean.

singersp
10-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Vikings coverage teams decidedly not special (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/30721554.html)

Chris Kluwe kept his job, but the Vikings still have special teams issues to address.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: October 11, 2008 - 8:31 AM

2beersTommy
10-11-2008, 12:10 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings coverage teams decidedly not special (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/30721554.html)

Chris Kluwe kept his job, but the Vikings still have special teams issues to address.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: October 11, 2008 - 8:31 AM

to single him out of 11 players on special teams is a fucking joke, what happened to the 10 other guys who failed to tackle Bush? Had not it been for Bush tripping on the 50 yd line, he would have went for 3 scores. And I suppose he's to blame for the lack of coverage on the kick offs also. The special teams coverage, regardless of punt or kick-off the last 2 years is pretty much a joke..time to look for blame elsewhere..like the special teams coach! Pull your head out of your ass.

V4L
10-11-2008, 02:37 PM
OKAYYYYYY

Kluwe was told to kick it out of bounds not once but twice

He didn't.. All Chilldress did was say if he can't do that then we will find someone who can

He didn't call him out all that much

He also said he was disapointed with the coverage in his interview so he did call them out as well

This should be put to rest

ejmat
10-11-2008, 02:41 PM
"V4L" wrote:

OKAYYYYYY

He didn't.. All Chilldress did was say if he can't do that then we will find someone who can

He also said he was disapointed with the coverage in his interview so he did call them out as well

Amen V4L.
Doesn't it always seem like it is one sided when it comes to decisions made by Childress?
With this fan base he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

2beersTommy
10-11-2008, 03:11 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

OKAYYYYYY

Amen V4L.
Doesn't it always seem like it is one sided when it comes to decisions made by Childress?

damn him lol

V4L
10-11-2008, 03:30 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

OKAYYYYYY

Amen V4L.

YUP!!

And as fans here all I see is pointing blame at 1 or 2 people

It's either T-jack or Chilldress

Or Kluwe or the coverage

The whole team almost blew the game for us

VikingMike
10-11-2008, 05:28 PM
"ragz" wrote:

"VikingMike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Keep it up my friend.

;D

yah mike but all facets of our game stunk at one time or another during the game, and i seriously doubt that any other player is going to be motivated by the fact childress replaced the punter.
it just seems cheesy.
i mean i heard him make excuses for his offense for 2 years and not single anyone out really, but now all of a sudden you're going to do it to a "punter".
we really shouldnt care this much, but i think the frustration of fans of how bad the game was played throughout made us a little bit more defensive of a player we shouldn't care that much about.

ragz, I also don't like that the fact he has only called out the punter (and I heard he got in Longwell's face earlier in the year). Clearly he's frustrated, but to only get on the kickers is not very productive. If he keeps up with this tough guy approach, I'd like to see him go after some of the regulars when they screw up.

ejmat
10-13-2008, 10:06 AM
"VikingMike" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

"VikingMike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Keep it up my friend.

;D

it just seems cheesy.

ragz, I also don't like that the fact he has only called out the punter (and I heard he got in Longwell's face earlier in the year). Clearly he's frustrated, but to only get on the kickers is not very productive. If he keeps up with this tough guy approach, I'd like to see him go after some of the regulars when they screw up.

I have seen him go after some of the regulars.
I've seen him go off on TJack in a game.
I've seen him go off on Peterson in a game (and I hope he did yesterday).

Now let's talk about the Sts yesterday.
Klewe, for the most part (except for 1 kick I believe that he punted in the endzone) did pretty well.
He had hang time.
He booted the ball well.
Now, STs also had a pretty good game IMO other than the blocked FG.
That is where I say it all starts with the punter.
If the punter does his job it is a lot easier for the other 10 to do theirs.
I am not saying the other 10 should be let off the hook however it all begins with the punter.

One thing I want to add:
Is it just me or does it seem like Maurice Hicks always goes straight to where the bulk of the players are for KRs?
He tries to run everyone over and he is not that big to begin with.
What's up with that?
Gordon, I thought had a respectable game.

JeffSeimon
10-13-2008, 10:14 AM
" Klewe, for the most part (except for 1 kick I believe that he punted in the endzone) did pretty well"

When Klewe punted it in the endzone Childress looked for him and then said what I took to be something pretty sharp to him. Several players came over to try and lift his spirit.

The biggest a$$ chewing I saw was Frazier chewing on Edwards...

ejmat
10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
"JeffSeimon" wrote:

" Klewe, for the most part (except for 1 kick I believe that he punted in the endzone) did pretty well"

When Klewe punted it in the endzone Childress looked for him and then said what I took to be something pretty sharp to him. Several players came over to try and lift his spirit.

The biggest a$$ chewing I saw was Frazier chewing on Edwards...

The field commentator did say there were a lot of talking and arguing between the players with the exception of Ray Edwards.

PurpleSun
10-13-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm sure Childress told AD to hang on to the ball after the first fumble, but he didn't why didn't Childress call AD out and say "If he can't hold on to the ball, I'll find someone who can"

I doubt Kluwe said "screw Childress, I'll do what I want".

Just like I'm sure AD didn't say "screw Childress I'll fumble if I want to".

Kluwe is a good punter, he can make mistakes too.
Lots of players on the Vikes are making mistakes.
Childress should just go down the roster and point out every players mistakes if he's going to do it for one.

ejmat
10-13-2008, 04:08 PM
"PurpleSun" wrote:

I'm sure Childress told AD to hang on to the ball after the first fumble, but he didn't why didn't Childress call AD out and say "If he can't hold on to the ball, I'll find someone who can"

I doubt Kluwe said "screw Childress, I'll do what I want".

Just like I'm sure AD didn't say "screw Childress I'll fumble if I want to".

Kluwe is a good punter, he can make mistakes too.
Lots of players on the Vikes are making mistakes.
Childress should just go down the roster and point out every players mistakes if he's going to do it for one.

However he did bench Peterson for a couple of posessions.
Klewe didn't get benched.
We can play tit for tat games all day long here.
I think a comparison of an average punter versus the Rookie of the Year/ProBowl MVP running back is not a very good comparison at all.
Like I stated it's a lot easier to forgive Peterson because of what he brings to the team.
Mistakes on punting are excusable once in a while not often since that is the only thing you need to do.
Running backs have much more diverse roles than do a punter.
A punter is easier to replace than Adrian Peterson.

ragz
10-14-2008, 12:33 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"VikingMike" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

"VikingMike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Keep it up my friend.

;D

it just seems cheesy.

Klewe, for the most part (except for 1 kick I believe that he punted in the endzone) did pretty well.
He had hang time.
He booted the ball well.
I am not saying the other 10 should be let off the hook however it all begins with the punter.

One thing I want to add:
Is it just me or does it seem like Maurice Hicks always goes straight to where the bulk of the players are for KRs?
What's up with that?

i wont disagree with anything in particular, but if i had to pick one guy whos actually not been a huge detriment one way or another on special teams, i'd pick kluwe.
i mean even longwell who i love has missed 2 and got one blocked in very close games.

and as for childress, f- him.
getting on someone on the sideline is a lot different than going in front of the media and saying you are gonna replace someone cuz you are mad, and then continuing the charade by bringing in 4 guys for a tryout.
the same reason i think jackson ended up getting benched, which is just a theory, is the same reason i think kluwe was getting shit.
cuz they both questioned childress.
kluwe stood up and childress took a whole game worth of bad and took it out on him.
i think jackson actually said to childress, besides i'm playing not to lose, exactly what jacksons mother said to the media when the word came down he was benched.
she came out and said that if you are not gonna give him a chance to really play its kinda hard to blame him for the problems.
paraphrasing of course.
now my guess is that she didnt just say that on her own, that maybe her son was saying this stuff to her and he finally said somehting to childress.
and god forbid you question this kao

ejmat
10-14-2008, 07:50 AM
"ragz" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"VikingMike" wrote:

"ragz" wrote:

"VikingMike" wrote:

Post of the year.

THEY DO!

Keep it up my friend.

;D

it just seems cheesy.

He had hang time.
He booted the ball well.

One thing I want to add:
What's up with that?

i wont disagree with anything in particular, but if i had to pick one guy whos actually not been a huge detriment one way or another on special teams, i'd pick kluwe.
i mean even longwell who i love has missed 2 and got one blocked in very close games.

and as for childress, f- him.
getting on someone on the sideline is a lot different than going in front of the media and saying you are gonna replace someone cuz you are mad, and then continuing the charade by bringing in 4 guys for a tryout.
the same reason i think jackson ended up getting benched, which is just a theory, is the same reason i think kluwe was getting shit.
cuz they both questioned childress.
kluwe stood up and childress took a whole game worth of bad and took it out on him.
i think jackson actually said to childress, besides i'm playing not to lose, exactly what jacksons mother said to the media when the word came down he was benched.
she came out and said that if you are not gonna give him a chance to really play its kinda hard to blame him for the problems.
paraphrasing of course.
now my guess is that she didnt just say that on her own, that maybe her son was saying this stuff to her and he finally said somehting to childress.
and god forbid you question this kao

I'm not saying going after someone in the media was right.
It isn't.
Whatever happened with TJack is between them so I can't comment on it.
What I can comment on is bringing 4 punters in to try out is not a bad thing.
Maybe it lit a candle under Klewe's ass to get his crap straight.
The truth of the matter is he does have a strong leg and he does some good things.
But he has struggled in certain areas his entire career.
Directional punting is part of a punters job.
To be an efficient punter you have to be able to do that consistently.
You also have to be able to have good hang time consistently.
Klewe has difficulty with that at times too.
I like Klewe but he really is not that consistent.