PDA

View Full Version : Make or break

Vikeman
10-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Hope this hasn't been covered yet, but I feel that this game tonight will make-or-break the Vikes season.
Win, and it will create a tie W/ the Pack.
(I know about the head-to-head, Vikes have another game to make that up.)
Lose and it's one game beter than the cowardly Lions.
Don't have a great feeling going into Saints game--but didn't last year going onto Chargers or Giants games.
This game is pretty much must-win.
Go Vikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Vikingo
10-06-2008, 12:31 PM
From now on with 1-3 almost everygame is a must win yep,including tonigth

PurpleTide
10-06-2008, 12:36 PM
It is time to get a Win. It is also time to start playing some mistake free smashmouth football. We have a team reeling from injuries, and we'd better grow a killer instinct, and set the tone for the rest of the season.

PurpleSun
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I think the Packers game was crucial.
There was so much anticipation for that game.
I truly believe if the Vikes won that game they would be 4-0 and brimming with confidence.

Now it comes down to beating a 2-2 team to bring back some dignity to a once hearld team.
Sad, very sad.

Derek Rick
10-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Tonight and next week are must wins if Chilly wants to save his job. He better be pulling out all the stops tonight. No stupid Challenges either.

PurpleSun
10-06-2008, 01:18 PM
"Derek" wrote:

Tonight and next week are must wins if Chilly wants to save his job. He better be pulling out all the stops tonight. No stupid Challenges either.

Stupid challenges are Childresse's trademark.

Del Rio
10-06-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure what it is a must win for. 12-4 would be more then enough to get you somewhere, and not that it is going to happen, but if we lose tonight you could still wind up 12-4....so I mean MUST win? Maybe from a fan standpoint, but I cant imagine it is the end all of the games this season.

Like I said I dont see us going 12-4 at all but technically this game is far from a MUST win.

ultravikingfan
10-06-2008, 01:36 PM
"Vikeman" wrote:

Hope this hasn't been covered yet, but I feel that this game tonight will make-or-break the Vikes season.
Win, and it will create a tie W/ the Pack.
(I know about the head-to-head, Vikes have another game to make that up.)
Lose and it's one game beter than the cowardly Lions.
Don't have a great feeling going into Saints game--but didn't last year going onto Chargers or Giants games.
This game is pretty much must-win.
Go Vikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's covered all of the place.

You were not the first to think of it,

ultravikingfan
10-06-2008, 01:38 PM
"PurpleSun" wrote:

"Derek" wrote:

Come on, the challenges are on his staff as well.
The guys upstairs looking to see whether to throw the red flag.

PurpleSun
10-06-2008, 02:22 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"Derek" wrote:

So who decided it was smart to call a time out to discuss a play with the refs, then to throw the flag.
Losing the challenge with a end result of burning 2 time outs.

Sure the guys upstairs advise Childress, but in the end it's his call.
I would love to know the challenge upheld/overturned stats for each coach.
I would think Childress would be in the bottom 5.

ultravikingfan
10-06-2008, 03:34 PM
"PurpleSun" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"Derek" wrote:

So who decided it was smart to call a time out to discuss a play with the refs, then to throw the flag.

The timeout was probably him.
But he is going on info provided to him by his guys upstaris who can watch the replay.
The timeout gave them time to review the play.
He was given bad info.

kevoncox
10-06-2008, 04:27 PM
"PurpleSun" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"Derek" wrote:

I still get laughed at at work for that one and Ultra has never had a opinion about it. Why? because it was an idiotic call and it summarizes the last 3 years of his coaching reign. He is a terrible head coach. He may be a great or decent OC but a terrible coach. I may have to assassinate him myself for the betterment of the team : tears:

jargomcfargo
10-06-2008, 04:42 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"Derek" wrote:

I still get laughed at at work for that one and Ultra has never had a opinion about it. Why? because it was an idiotic call and it summarizes the last 3 years of his coaching reign. He is a terrible head coach. He may be a great or decent OC but a terrible coach. I may have to assassinate him myself for the betterment of the team : tears:

The league only overturns 18% of challenges. So Childress isn't the only one.
He has made some bad challenges, but I can't imagine anyone not challenging the play in question.

Chazz
10-06-2008, 04:44 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"Derek" wrote:

But he is going on info provided to him by his guys upstaris who can watch the replay.
He was given bad info.

I'm not so sure it was bad info, or a bad call to review. It was a 4th down play and very crucial to us, we desperately needed a stop there. On top of that, there is no doubt in my mind that they did not make it, but the ref lacked the balls to make the call, so he left it as it was. It was however, stupid to call a time out before making the challenge, we needed the stop, just throw the flag.

ultravikingfan
10-06-2008, 04:54 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"Derek" wrote:

Oh, it's you again.
Nobody ever asked my opinion about.

Yes, the TO was dumb.
Challenging the play was not.

And your last statement is not amusing at all.

NodakPaul
10-06-2008, 05:08 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Yes, the TO was dumb.

I see the point about the TO - now after looking back on it.
I didn't at first.

Challenge Won

Challenge Lost

Call TO, decide NOT to challenge

Charged 1 TO
call stands (no challenge)

Charged 1 TO
call stands (no challenge)

Call TO, decide to challenge
Charged 1 TO
Call Overturned
Charged 2 TO
Call Stands

Do not call TO, decide to challenge
Not Charged TO
Call Overturned
Charged 1 TO
Call Stands

The best case scenario for calling the TO and then challenging is the same as the worst case scenario for just challenging without calling the TO first.

Vikeman
10-06-2008, 07:07 PM
"Del" wrote:

I'm not sure what it is a must win for. 12-4 would be more then enough to get you somewhere, and not that it is going to happen, but if we lose tonight you could still wind up 12-4....so I mean MUST win? Maybe from a fan standpoint, but I cant imagine it is the end all of the games this season.

Like I said I dont see us going 12-4 at all but technically this game is far from a MUST win.

This coach is not known for winning streaks...or for that matter wins period.
Of coarse it's not a must win--unless you want them to make the playoffs.

tke0933
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm with Del in that I don't think this is a MUST win.
Yes, it would be great for the fan base.
Yes, it would be a good confidence booster for the team. Yes, it would help them on a short week of practice.
But will our season be over if we lost?
No.
It would be severely damaged and we would have a huge hole to dig out of, especially with the injuries, but our season would be over.

PurpleSun
10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
"Chazz" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

He was given bad info.

I'm not so sure it was bad info, or a bad call to review. It was a 4th down play and very crucial to us, we desperately needed a stop there. On top of that, there is no doubt in my mind that they did not make it, but the ref lacked the balls to make the call, so he left it as it was. It was however, stupid to call a time out before making the challenge, we needed the stop, just throw the flag.

Absolutely, it was the first TO that was truly dumb.
But during that TO, having discussed it with the refs and given the guys upstairs LOTS of time to review the play, it should have been obvious that it wasn't definitive enough to get overturned.
Just as if it was called the Vikes way and the Titans challenged.

ragz
10-06-2008, 07:52 PM
"PurpleSun" wrote:

"Chazz" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

He was given bad info.

Absolutely, it was the first TO that was truly dumb.
But during that TO, having discussed it with the refs and given the guys upstairs LOTS of time to review the play, it should have been obvious that it wasn't definitive enough to get overturned.
Just as if it was called the Vikes way and the Titans challenged.

i'm sorry sun, but i dont know what you mean by definitive.
for one the refs butchered the call by saying the blew the whistle way before the play was over which would have lead to the fumble.
2ndly, for where the ball was marked and what the review shows it was at least a half a yard back from where they spotted it.
worse case they move it back there and measure from there to see if he got the first.
and finally, since the whistle can not be heard during watching the replay where did they determine his forward motion was stopped considering he didnt give up on the play until he finally fumbled.
you cant give foward momentum to a guy who gets knocked backwards, then regains his footing and trys to get into the end zone and loses yards along with the football.
it was like they thought he got the first and then the refs just blew the whistle even though the play was still going.

childress is a moron for wasting a timeout, but the fact that the refs couldnt get a call right, or even spot the ball correctly enough to force a measurment just poured salt on the wound.

kevoncox
10-06-2008, 08:00 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurpleSun" wrote:

Oh, it's you again.
Nobody ever asked my opinion about.

Yes, the TO was dumb.

And your last statement is not amusing at all.

It wasn't ment to be ha ha funny, just wah wah sad. Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way.
I think you missed the point Ultra( as always). You don't call a time out to decide whether you are going t challenge a play. You are wasting the time out you are trying to save. It's idiotic! The choice to chllenge was fine, the chice t waste a time out doing so was foolish.

gregair13
10-06-2008, 08:03 PM
And it all comes down to this

huxx
10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I really hope we can win tonight...BUT...

I truly believe that if we can handle Chicago the rest of the way, we can still make the playoffs...win or lose tonight...look at the schedule, we can do it.

A win tonight would be huge!