PDA

View Full Version : Winfield to Cover Smith

NodakPaul
09-19-2008, 03:25 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/19/winfield-to-take-on-smith/

Two of the pound-for-pound toughest sons-of-bitches in the NFL could be squaring off on every snap that the Carolina Panthers take on offense when they face the Vikings in Week Three.

The Vikings reportedly are considering flipping cornerback Antoine Winfield from left corner to right corner, which will put him up against receiver Steve Smith, who lines up on the left side for the Carolina offense.

Interesting.
Is it that easy for a CB to swap sides?

packerbasher
09-19-2008, 03:27 PM
I think winfield will get smoked I dont think hes that great of a cover CB but a great tackler.Who coverd smith last time we played?Was it Smoot or winfield?

funkyasflea
09-19-2008, 03:28 PM
"packerbasher" wrote:

I think winfield will get smoked I dont think hes that great of a cover CB but a great tackler.Who coverd smith last time we played?Was it Smoot or winfield?

Pretty srue it was Smoot, not 100% though.

NodakPaul
09-19-2008, 03:30 PM
It was Smoot, but Cottrell had him playing press man with no safety help.
That game was Teddy's fault, not Smoot's.

NodakPaul
09-19-2008, 03:31 PM
I actually don't like this.
First of all, what is to stop Carolina from simply putting Smith in motion and putting him up against Griffin anyway?
I would rather see them do some press coverage against Smith with the safeties rolled to that side of the field.
Leave Winfield in man and let the LBs cover the slot.
I know that isn't the cover 2, and I know that I am not a coach... just voicing my thoughts...

BloodyHorns82
09-19-2008, 03:40 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Didn't the Vikings win the last time we faced the Panthers?
Pretty sure I was at that game and we won thanks to Gamble's gamble on the kick/punt return.

NodakPaul
09-19-2008, 03:42 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Pretty sure I was at that game and we won thanks to Gamble's gamble on the kick/punt return.

I don't believe Smith didn't play the last time.
The last time Smith faced the Vikings was in '05.

jessejames09
09-19-2008, 03:53 PM
I hope him and Griffin switch sides. We'll need all the help we can get on Smith, especially with Tyrell at FS.

Chazz
09-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Thats fine, as long as they don't plan on having Winfield man up against him. If they do, he will look just like Smoot did.

jessejames09
09-19-2008, 04:09 PM
"Chazz" wrote:

Thats fine, as long as they don't plan on having Winfield man up against him. If they do, he will look just like Smoot did.

We can have man to man with safety cover over the top. We just can't play him one on one, all night night, without help, like we did with Smoot.

BloodyHorns82
09-19-2008, 04:11 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

That would make sense as to why I didn't remember him burning us the last game.
I do remember a group of Carolina fans walking up to us after the game and saying "We'll see your asses in the playoffs!"
- Kind of funny in hindsight.

ItalianStallion
09-19-2008, 04:32 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Smoot wasn't playing press, he was playing like 10 yards back almost every damn play because for some reason Cottrell though it would be a good idea.
Somehow Smoot got burnt all the time regardless, because he bit on all Smith's moves.
Still Cottrell gave him no help even as he was destroying us.

HEY
09-19-2008, 04:34 PM
That's going to be one hell of a match up to watch. I can't wait!

Purple Floyd
09-19-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't like it. Winfield doesn't have the speed or quickness to cover Smith. I don't think any of our guys do really. I just hope we double him all game long. Maybe Playing him tight on the line and jamming him for the full 5 yards and keeping a safety locked on him over the top. That will leave one on one on the other side with whoever winfield would be on, but I think you have to look at it as though their second WR would have to beat us.

gregair13
09-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Anyone is better than Smoot

Formo
09-19-2008, 05:11 PM
"gregair13" wrote:

Anyone is better than Smoot

Amen.

+1

Even though I'm not a huge fan of Winfield's coverage abilities, I'm excited to see how this matchup will do.
Although, I wouldn't mind watching a Griffin-Smith matchup, either.
As long as the DC played Griffin like Green Bay's DC plays their CBs.

V4L
09-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Jam the hell outta him

Send Sharper over the top

VikingsTw
09-19-2008, 05:16 PM
This is certainly a big matchup for Winfield. No corner in the NFL is gonna be able to shut down a guy like Steve Smith without massive pass rush. Winfield is the only corner on our roster capable of containing Steve Smith if at all. The Panthers will do plenty to get Smith the ball including screens and other things to get the ball in his hands. Winfield is the best tackling CB in the NFL our chances are better when our best DB is matched up with Steve Smith. I would even go as far as making sure Tyrell Johnson is the safety over the top, granted he is a rookie he's got the speed. Darren Sharper is giving up to many plays and to be quite honest I don't trust him.

I think this is an option that would garuntee we won't have to see Griffin lined up against Steve Smith. I think that would be a horrible matchup at this point, Griffin is coming off of getting owned all day. Hopefully he can match up with Mushin Muhamad.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-19-2008, 05:33 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Correct, I was at the latter of the two. The first one was the game in which Daunte Culpepper injured his knee (chris gamble on the hit). In that game, Fred Smoot was left on Smith with no safety help and in turn received one of the most brutal burnings I have ever seen.

The second game was 2 years ago at the metrodome and Smith was out with an injury. The Vikings won on a Longwell FG in overtime after both Gamble's fumbled lateral on a punt return (?) and a Ryan Longwell fake FG pass to Richard Owens (?) in regulation.

someone can check me on those facts, not 100%.

Zeus
09-19-2008, 06:05 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

First of all, what is to stop Carolina from simply putting Smith in motion and putting him up against Griffin anyway?
I would rather see them do some press coverage against Smith with the safeties rolled to that side of the field.
I know that isn't the cover 2, and I know that I am not a coach... just voicing my thoughts...

What they were talking about was straight up man-to-man, so if Smith is in motion, Winfield's going with him.

I, for one, love it.
No YAC.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
09-19-2008, 06:09 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

What they were talking about was straight up man-to-man, so if Smith is in motion, Winfield's going with him.

I, for one, love it.
No YAC.

=Z=

That would require Winfield to keep up with him and be close enough to be able to tackle him. I would not bet in that happenening

KrackerJack
09-19-2008, 06:11 PM
I feel more comfortable with Winfield on him than any of our other corners...but like VikesTw said, it will come down to the pass rush more than anything. If given enough time, Smith will get open no matter who is covering him, the guys up front have to get the job done in this one.

V4L
09-19-2008, 06:23 PM
"KrackerJack" wrote:

I feel more comfortable with Winfield on him than any of our other corners...but like VikesTw said, it will come down to the pass rush more than anything. If given enough time, Smith will get open no matter who is covering him, the guys up front have to get the job done in this one.

Seems like we are all in agreement on this

jargomcfargo
09-19-2008, 06:26 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I, for one, love it.
No YAC.

=Z=

That would require Winfield to keep up with him and be close enough to be able to tackle him. I would not bet in that happenening

The first thing i thought was, who is the safety covering over the top?
That safety better have a focused game. Focused on Smith.

hav0x
09-19-2008, 06:40 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I, for one, love it.
No YAC.

=Z=

Tyrell should be the safety thats focused on him. He has the speed to catch most WR's in the NFL and he's a pretty solid tackler.

V4L
09-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Toine will hold his own

Chazz
09-19-2008, 08:42 PM
"hav0x" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I, for one, love it.
No YAC.

=Z=

Tyrell should be the safety thats focused on him. He has the speed to catch most WR's in the NFL and he's a pretty solid tackler.

Hell no!! Tyrell has not looked good in coverage. It should be Winny with Sharper over the top.

gagarr
09-19-2008, 08:51 PM
HIT Delhomme before Smith gets 10 yards.

Best way to stop a pass play.

marstc09
09-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Is this the first time Winfield would be the same height as the WR?

C Mac D
09-19-2008, 09:34 PM
I love how it's 'news' that our #1 CB will be covering their #1 WR...

For once, a good decision.

marstc09
09-19-2008, 09:40 PM
"hav0x" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I, for one, love it.
No YAC.

=Z=

If that is the case, we are done for.

thevikingfan
09-19-2008, 10:02 PM
"packerbasher" wrote:

it was smoot and there is no way winfield does as bad as smoot.winfield is the best ccorner we have and this is the best option

Zeus
09-20-2008, 08:39 AM
"Chazz" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

I, for one, love it.
No YAC.

=Z=

Hell no!! Tyrell has not looked good in coverage. It should be Winny with Sharper over the top.

Sharper?
That's a recipe for scores.

By Carolina.

=Z=

jessejames09
09-20-2008, 09:52 AM
I doubt we will swap our CBs and Safeties. Antoine and Tyrell it is, Tyrell can learn by fire.

SamOchoCinco
09-20-2008, 10:06 AM
i dont like the look of this.. ugh.

steve smith is hard to cover. he is just too fast.

what we need to do (is what someone mentioned) is to jam him at the line and slow him up.

if we can do that and get the saftey over there. we should be able to keep steve in check

SuperVikesfan
09-20-2008, 10:10 AM
"jessejames09" wrote:

I doubt we will swap our CBs and Safeties. Antoine and Tyrell it is, Tyrell can learn by fire.

That is valuable experience for Tyrell, but it also might hurt us too. It's a risk starting a rookie in the defensive back field. It's especially a risk when a game breaker is out on the field and you are a rookie.

hav0x
09-20-2008, 10:27 AM
"SuperVikesfan" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

That is valuable experience for Tyrell, but it also might hurt us too. It's a risk starting a rookie in the defensive back field. It's especially a risk when a game breaker is out on the field and you are a rookie.
He's a rookie but he's the only safety we have that could hope to catch him after he makes a catch, and lets face it, he's going to make catches.

PurpleTide
09-20-2008, 10:47 AM
It all starts up front with the pass rush. If we don't put pressure one Delhomme, then the reciever's will have time to get open. We must be agressive and mix in blitzes to not give them time to get open.

You're not gonna completely stop Smith, but we must not let him run free. And like Jared says.. "We must put a knife in em, when we get them down."

The home crowd will be very important in this game, last week even on T.V. they were the loudest I've ever heard them. If we can make it hard to audible, and hard for the tackle's to hear the snap count it will give us that extra half step that should make a difference in the game.

Yfz01
09-20-2008, 12:34 PM
"hav0x" wrote:

"SuperVikesfan" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

He's a rookie but he's the only safety we have that could hope to catch him after he makes a catch, and lets face it, he's going to make catches.

Winfield looked amazing last weekend, as long as we can get a pass rush he should do fine.
And Sharper is just as fast, if not faster then Tyrell, IMO.
Tyrell has also over persued angles, allowing cutbacks...

Sharper is the best safety we have, even when Madieu comes back... He is aggressive but usually does well in coverage, and he can cover ground very well, sideline to sideline.

HEY
09-20-2008, 12:56 PM
"Yfz01" wrote:

Winfield looked amazing last weekend, as long as we can get a pass rush he should do fine.

Sharper is the best safety we have, even when Madieu comes back... He is aggressive but usually does well in coverage, and he can cover ground very well, sideline to sideline.

I think Winfield did a superb job last week too, and I agree that we should put Winfield on the line to press Steve Smith while we have a safety on top. Winfield is a very physical corner who does a fine job at press-coverage.

About the safety spot, I don't agree that Sharper is as fast as Tyrell Johnson. In fact, I'm pretty shure Tyrell is much faster than Sharper. I also think Tyrell Johnson is a better tackler than him.

On the other side, Sharper has WAAAAY more knowledge and experience than the rookie (of course)

UndisputedVike
09-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm not liking what I am seeing out of Tyrell, given of course he is a rookie, but aside from the fact that he's made almost everything rookie safety mistake, he is a bad tackler. He missed a few key 3rd down tackles that would have stopped drives, and others among that.

Sharper...he is making rookie mistakes as well. That fumble by GB, he should have fell on it, instead he missed it and it ended up a 1st down for GB. I don't exactly feel too safe with him back there trying to help with Steve Smith.

Winfield is a great corner, no doubt, but his Pass Coverage gets very spotty on many occasions.

gamecocksbaseball31
09-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes that is one thing this team is missing on defense is a stand-out cover corner.
With that being said though, I would rather have Winfield on Smith than Griffin.
Anthony Gonzalez ate Griffin alive last weekend.
It was embarrassing.

Purple Jesus
09-20-2008, 01:55 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/12711/inside_the_game__wr_steve_smith_vs._the_minnesota_cbs

Provides some decent insight.

hav0x
09-20-2008, 02:19 PM
"Purple" wrote:

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/12711/inside_the_game__wr_steve_smith_vs._the_minnesota_cbs

Provides some decent insight.
Besides them thinking Madieu Williams is going to be playing it was a good look at the differences.

Jilly
09-20-2008, 03:00 PM
It sould be a good match up. My advice to Winfield, protect your nose! ;D

Yfz01
09-20-2008, 03:58 PM
"HEY" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

I think Winfield did a superb job last week too, and I agree that we should put Winfield on the line to press Steve Smith while we have a safety on top. Winfield is a very physical corner who does a fine job at press-coverage.

About the safety spot, I don't agree that Sharper is as fast as Tyrell Johnson. In fact, I'm pretty shure Tyrell is much faster than Sharper. I also think Tyrell Johnson is a better tackler than him.

On the other side, Sharper has WAAAAY more knowledge and experience than the rookie (of course)

Sharper still runs a 4.3 and covers ground quickly, i'm not sure what Tyrell runs but I believe it's somewhere in the 4.4s.
Even if Tyrell is faster top end, I really do not like the angles he was trying to take in the last couple games, allowing cut backs and extra yards (Big play by Grant, and big play by Wayne/Gonzalas.)

hav0x
09-20-2008, 04:53 PM
"Yfz01" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

Sharper still runs a 4.3 and covers ground quickly, i'm not sure what Tyrell runs but I believe it's somewhere in the 4.4s.
Even if Tyrell is faster top end, I really do not like the angles he was trying to take in the last couple games, allowing cut backs and extra yards (Big play by Grant, and big play by Wayne/Gonzalas.)

Sharper is one of my favorite players but him running a 4.3 is complete bull, hell AP only ran a 4.38 at the combine if I remember correctly.

huxx
09-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I was so surprised about Winfield's INT stats.
Then again, that explains his style as a CB

Yfz01
09-20-2008, 05:09 PM
"hav0x" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

Sharper is one of my favorite players but him running a 4.3 is complete bull, hell AP only ran a 4.38 at the combine if I remember correctly.

Sharper ran a 4.4 electrically timed 40, and I have found a few other of the faster Vikings times.

Adrian Peterson---4.38 forty

Andrae Allison---4.39 forty

Marcus McCaulley---4.39 forty

Tyrell Johnson---4.41 forty

Antoine Winfiled---4.41 forty

Bernard Berrian --- 4.41 forty

Madieu Williams --- 4.46 forty

Cedric Griffin --- 4.51 forty

Sidney Rice --- 4.53 forty

Kevin Williams --- 4.81 forty(interesting)

Ray Edwards --- 4.81 forty(Hmm... same time as K-Will)

Jared Allen --- 4.81 forty (Also the same 40 time)

Although I wouldn't take too much stock in 40 times...

El Vikingo
09-20-2008, 05:26 PM
"Yfz01" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

Sharper ran a 4.4 electrically timed 40, and I have found a few other of the faster Vikings times.

the more important point is missed
the time of PAT WILLIAMS ,please I need to know it

El Vikingo
09-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I am happy Griffin doesn´t cover
Smith ,that could be a massacre.

hav0x
09-20-2008, 05:50 PM
"El" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

Haha I was just going to say that exact same thing.

i_bleed_purple
09-20-2008, 05:54 PM
"HEY" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

as you were getting at at the end of your post, speed is one thing, but knowing where to be at the right time is better IMO.
i'd rather have Sharper on him than Tyrell.
Tyrell will likely bite, missread, and miss tackles, whereas Sharper isn't as easilly fooled.

i_bleed_purple
09-20-2008, 05:56 PM
"hav0x" wrote:

"El" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

thats actually interesting.
I didn't know Griffin was actually that slow...
Also just goes to show really how athletic Kevin Williams really is.
I also would like to see Pats time.
I bet it would be around the 5.05 mark
He's got some quickness, but i don't know he can maintain much speed.

Yfz01
09-20-2008, 06:31 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

"El" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

I dont think Pat Williams has ever ran 40 yards...

Although the athletic receiver from Carolina is pretty fast
Steve Smith --- 4.38 40 yard dash.

El Vikingo
09-20-2008, 07:32 PM
We want to know the Pat Williams time!!! and the Chiller time would be fun too.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-20-2008, 07:37 PM
"Yfz01" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

"El" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

Actually I think Pat ran upwards of Forty on a fumble recovery for TD last year. He had to be taken to the locker room for a quarter because he was so gassed though.
;D ;D ;D

i_bleed_purple
09-20-2008, 07:48 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

"El" wrote:

Actually I think Pat ran upwards of Forty on a fumble recovery for TD last year. He had to be taken to the locker room for a quarter because he was so gassed though.
;D ;D ;D

I remember when Kevin ran back his first fumble on that 66yarder against jacksonville a few years ago.
He was almost done after that.
He's gotten in much better shape since then.

Purple Floyd
09-20-2008, 08:51 PM
"vikingfan28" wrote:

Check this out...this NFL blog says Gus will lead the vikes to victory. www.the50-yardline.com (http://www.the50-yardline.com)

Go away spammer

hav0x
09-20-2008, 08:52 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"vikingfan28" wrote:

Check this out...this NFL blog says Gus will lead the vikes to victory. www.the50-yardline.com (http://www.the50-yardline.com)

Go away spammer

Yeah I know this is like the third thread I've seen this in.

Webby
09-20-2008, 09:16 PM
50 yard tool: Banned

http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/taser.jpg (http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/taser.jpg)

Yfz01
09-21-2008, 12:36 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"Yfz01" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"hav0x" wrote:

;D ;D ;D

I remember when Kevin ran back his first fumble on that 66yarder against jacksonville a few years ago.
He was almost done after that.
He's gotten in much better shape since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaAGbdEt5F8

I always found that to be a great play, why does Edwards need to tackle the guy?